Amsterdam at Harborside - Port Washington, NY

Visited the Amsterdam which was a lovely independent living facility with good size apartments and many acivities. However, the pricing is very expensive.

She Is Happy Here

My aunt is doing well and even gain weight that she needed. The staff are providing good care and good services. She is happy being at this community. I liked their location, their price was better, and they were the first one I looked at.

Father is Doing Pretty Well

My father is doing pretty well with his move to this community. The only things he doesn't like if the food. The meals could use some improvements. Overall he is safe, and in good hands at this community. They are taking good care of him, and his needs.

I have had a terrible experience at the Amsterdam it is dirty bugs areound the coffee an drinking fountains the bathrooms smell like [Removed] The aids are busy on there cell phones they play games an talk to each other half the time when the phone rings at the nursing desk they don't pick it up a man was walking in the hallway with his pants all wet from urine when the health dept came everyone was taken in an spoken to to be on there game the vacuums came out the rug shampooed mmmm.....this place is not worth 7 to 12 an up a month grand that is the staff is not friendly nor would waste there time with you unless u came in with a bag of money they don't treat u nice at all I was there few months ago with my dad to look at apts in enriched housing I went back a few times to be there incognito no activities the residents don't do nothing but sleep one woman was always complaining for almost an hour when I was there she seemed very nasty one man was also complaining to a staff member being nasty it was a mess would never put my dad [Removed] the food came up in a box. Cart like something u get at the airport no way for that kind of money I'll keep my dad home. Safe an sound a real [removed] place with smells and [Removed] people can't even understand what they are saying. Terrible smelly institution not a good experience. The aides sit around like servents not treated like people would not recommend ..going to shop around for others or keep dad home. You get no stars from me. Uggggg.

Review of The Tuttle Center at Amsterdam at Harborside - Port Washington, NY

This would be a great option for my Dad (if I didnt need to also place my brother). There doesnt appear to be as much socialization for him as at The Regency but this property is safe secure clean and would offer my Dad great care. He would need to purchase rent his own furniture for a unit though whereas the Regency comes furnished.

Going well

We are all set and things are going well at The Tuttle Center. The facility itself is beautiful, clean and well maintained. The staff is pleasant, efficient and always there to help. We have had a pleasant experience here.

Staff is great

The nurses and the workers and the staff are all very nice and caring people. They have always helped me quickly and efficent. Thank you

Awful Experience

We did not have such a terrific experience. The property is beautiful - but for us it stopped there.

We found the staff to be unfriendly and very difficult to work with at the Tuttle Center. If you ask the same question to three separate professionals working at the Tuttle Center you will get three different answers.

Our experience was that a patient can wait hours to be changed or for help with the bathroom.

We would never go back or recommend the Tuttle Center.

Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We’re very sorry to hear that your experience did not go well and we’d like to learn more about some of the specifics. If possible, please contact me, Sam Guedouar, executive director, at your convenience. Our highest priority is to ensure that our residents, their families and our guests are treated with care and respect.

My husband was in the Tuttle Rehab center for over 2 months. We would rate the nurses, social worker, PT and OT employees as an 11 out of 10 rating. Everyone was so kind and did everything they could to help the patient. The social worker, Renee, was wonderful. She helped out in so may ways even after my husband came home. We live in Sands Point and it was a very easy commute. I just think this has to be the very best rehab center on the North Shore of Long Island.

My husband was in the Tuttle Center for over 2 months. We would rate all of the employees-nurses-social worker-PT and OT - right down to the food service employees as the very best. My husband loved staying there as well as all the employees. Everyone was very kind and did their very best to help. Even after leaving, I was able to call and speak with the social worker, Renee, who continued to be of great help.

Friendship at the Amsterdam

When my husband and I first came to live at the Amsterdam at Harborside we immediately became involved in many of the activities offered to residents in Independent Living. Through our experiences at committee meetings, the bridge table, exercise classes and especially our nightly dinners we met and enjoyed the company of our fellow residents. We had no idea how important that would become when, several years later, my husband's health suffered a decline and he became a resident of the Tuttle Center's skilled nursing unit. It was more than the obvious financial advantage, since our monthly maintenance payments did not rise even though I stayed in our apartment and he resided in the health center. It was also more than the fact that by our living in the same building I could visit my husband easily at any hour of the day or night. It was mostly that neither of us felt alone. Frien ds from Independent Living dropped in to say hello to him regularly. Activities and mealtimes in the Tuttle Center's cheerful dining room enabled him to interact with his fellow patients. I, on the other hand, never lacked for someone to eat dinner with or to accompany me to some entertainment or activity. Living here at the Amsterdam was a very different experience from having a spouse in a nursing home in another location. When my husband eventually passed away the support and caring I received from the Tuttle staff and all our friends was quite overwhelming. My children and I will be forever grateful

I am a resident of The Amsterdam at Harborside which is an independent living retirement community with continuing care available when needed at no extra cost. The amenities and activities at the Amsterdam are terrific, but the residents are the best part of it. It really is like one big family. Oh yes, the dining room serves great meals with plenty of options and the service is very good.

On top of that, I spent some time as a recovering patient at the Tuttle Center, the attached continuing care facility, and I and can easily say that it is a great facility. It offers skilled nursing, assisted living, memory care and hospice. The complex, like the Amsterdam itself, is only a few years old, which is a big plus, but more importantly the staff was very caring.

One of the benefits for my wife and I is the use of the Tuttle throughout our lifetime at no extra cost. It was very reassuring to see the quality of care that is available to us. On top of that, since the Tuttle is attached to The Amsterdam, my wife could easily visit me at any time and so could other friends that we have made here.
I can send you a copy of our newsletter if you are interested. It is totally created by the Independent Residents and we are proud of it. (I take most of the photos.) If you would like a copy by Email, contact management and tell them that Edes offered to send it.

A wonderful, caring place at a difficult and sad time

What a caring, wonderful place at a very difficult and sad time. My mom's final days were spent there and they made sure that she was comfortable and without pain. They also cared about our needs and were there to comfort, listen and guide. There were members of the clergy of every possible faith and denomination and were always available for the needs of our loved one and ourselves. We continue to receive support as we go through the grieving process. "Thank you" does not sufficiently express how grateful we are for all that they have done and continue to do.
The room was private and spotless and someone was always near if we or our loved one needed something. They are the best!

We feel blessed to be living here

The Amsterdam at Harborside is a retirement community with a big plus. My wife and I consider it a terrific deal !!! We have been here over 4 years now. It's a bit like living on a cruise ship, but with even more activities (and a much larger "cabin"). On top of that, when or if either of us has a serious health problem we will be taken care of in the attached facilities (the Tuttle Center) which cover skilled nursing, assisted living, memory problems and hospice care - all at no extra cost. In short, it is what is called a life care facility. If you want to learn more about it, give them a call, or if you just want to ask a few questions, you can contact me at [removed] I can even send you a copy of our newsletter if you are interested.