The Towers - Richmond, VA

My mom is slowly making her transition

My mom has had a very hard time with her transitions to The Towers but the staff has been wonderful in working with her and encouraging her to start joining in the many activities like the exercise classes which she is slowly doing.
My mom likes going to the dining room and she really likes the food. They are also working with the resident doctor making sure her file is all in order he sees her once or twice a week and will be monitoring her meds
There is a shuttle bus for the residents that want to go out shopping, Doctor appointments, and field trips as well.
I would definitely recommend The Towers as this has been a positive experience for us.

Clean Property!!

I have no complaints about the tour I had taken of this community for my loved one. The staff where very professional during our visit and made sure to show us all of the different packages they had to offer. It was just not the right location for my loved one in the end decision but I would recommend it to anyone.

Really great!

The place was wonderful and the staff was great as well. The facility was very clean and looked very nice and not outdated or ran down. The people were helpful and nice to us. I like that they offered a lot of activities for the residents to stay busy.

Room for Improvement

At the moment my mother is currently receiving care for hospice here at this community. It is a really nice community, but I do have some concerns. There seems to be an overlap in care between the community staff, and hospice staff. I do feel there is some lack of care of their part, and as well lack of communication. It is a very nice community, but as far as caring for my mother, that could be better.

Erika Lovegreen

Thank you for your review. We take your concerns very seriously. Since you did not leave contact information, we are reaching out to all of our residents receiving hospice to ensure they are getting what they need in terms of communication. We would welcome a conversation with you. Please reach out to our Executive Director so we can discuss your concerns further. Thank you.

An ok community!!

The only concern I had about this community is I do not think it is in a real good area. The community is clean and well taken care of. We like the staff and they are kind to my loved one. The size of the apartments was a deciding factor when looking at communities and the ones here were just what we were looking for. The food is ok and they do offer daily activities.

Going very well so far

The person I helped place here has only been here a short time, but so far we are both very pleased by how things have turned out! It is a nice looking community, and getting moved in and set up all went very smoothly. We have no complaints so far!

A Big Disappointment

It seemed like a good place. Until my parents were settled in.

Each person has a life alert type pendant to wear. When we went there my parents were told they could expect to wait up to 20 minutes for a response. If someone is having a heart attack or stroke that's about 15 minutes too long.

Recently my father, who needs help getting up and dressed (and is paying through the nose for this service) waited not 20 minutes but 1 1/2 hours for help. This following another day when the wait was an hour. For the amount of money they're paying and the level of service they signed up for, this is very bad value for the money.

My father had to be in depends while in the nursing home right before coming to the Towers. So many issues here. They're supposed to get him up once during the night to use the toilet. Sometimes this doesn't happen until 4 a.m. by which time it's too late. Also, in the mornings the people who come to dress him are supposed to help him to the toilet. What they do is tell him to just go in the depends. My father is not making any progress in the toilet issues because no one is taking the time to work on it.

My mother arrived there walking with a cane. They put her on a walker. Seems like a step backward to me. My father arrived in a wheelchair but able to walk some with a walker. They keep him in a wheelchair. Even though he has had physical therapy there that has proven that he can use a walker at least some of the time.

My parents aren't being encouraged to get any better but actually encouraged to get worse. Liability is probably to blame for this. Easier to keep them pushed down than to risk a fall, at least from the perspective of the owners of the Towers apparently.

Each person's apartment is supposed to be cleaned once a week and the beds changed, the sheet laundered, the bed remade. As of today my mother's bed hasn't been changed for 3 weeks.

When my mother had issues with my dad's care and was referred to the head of nursing (which is actually misleading since there are no nurses there, only nursing assistants) she was belittled and made to feel stupid for asking questions.

There's not enough parking, I often have to park on the street.
They're understaffed, of why else the low level of service?

The marketing director paints the picture of a loving and caring environment. The reality falls very short of expectations raised.

Some of the staff are very friendly and caring and are doing their best but there just aren't enough of them.

This week I'm going to start looking into someplace else to take care of my parents. I no longer feel that they're safe and well looked after at the Towers.

The Towers - The BEST Place for Seniors in the Richmond Area

The Towers was the first place my aunt and I looked at for my mother. Immediately, we were very impressed with the friendliest employees, beautiful common areas, cleanliness, and the overall amenities offered. When we entered the one bedroom apartment, we gasped at how spacious it was and that it had a full mini kitchen. And the price as so much below the average. We also liked the idea that, no matter what condition she's in, they will increase her care, even to the point of transferring her to the "memory care" facility when her Alzheimer's gets worse. We were sold. We did our duty, nonetheless and visited other places. They could not match up and were more expensive. A couple of my friends recently put their mothers in more expensive housing, but I think they are not worth the money. Mom has been there a couple weeks and couldn't be happier. I am so surprised about her change of heart and willingness to move out of the house in which she and Dad lived for almost 40 years. And she was allowed to bring her beloved cat and even the cat has adjusted very nicely. None of us could be any happier.

I love the fact, also, that they are doing physical therapy with her. I think living there is going to give her a greater quality of life. And, she's made several friends. Although, sometimes she doesn't remember their names, but most of them are like that.

The Right Move at the Right Time

Ratings are determined by comparison. This is the only experience I have had living in a senior community. I would like more space. Also I would prefer a quieter environment at meal time. However, I made the right decision in coming here. The is a nurse on duty on every floor 24/7. Also there is a memory care unit when my wife's condition will dictate her need for that. The staff is very attentive. After only 2 weeks we feel like we belong.

Clean and well maintained c...

Clean and well maintained common areas.

Top of the list, based on f...

Top of the list, based on facility-one bedroom, full kitchen and living room, at a very reasonable cost.

The Towers is #2 favorite. ...

The Towers is #2 favorite. Really liked the location however I'm trying to work it into the budget.

Lots of activities

So far things are going fine with the towers. They've been pretty good, they're changing the way they serve their meals and that has raised some questions but it may be just a little too early to tell. Evidentally they cut back on some of their staff so there's not quite as many people serving, they split their dining hour, they used to be one large group but they're in two different groups which I kind of understand but the service has kind of dropped off a bit.
The care has been fantastic, there's activities there pretty much every hour of everyday so you can particiapte in what you want or not at all if you chose. If you don't get out and do something it's because you chose not to, not because they don't provide it.

Still Impressed

Honestly I am still impressed with the community. Our loved one chose it he seemed to click with The Towers better then other communities he looked at. The community is a smaller community so it provides a more personal feel to it.

Not A Good Start

The room fixtures are falling down because they were not properly maintained. When we first walked in the room there was water on the floor because there was a leak. No one is really taking responsibility. Marketing was really good but once you get in there seems like quality of service drops. As a service they are not very good, but some of their staff is really good. Mom’s room smelled like pee and they did not wash sheets and get it taken care of. Seems like maintenance is reactive not proactive, they respond very well to issues but you have to ask them. I told admissions my mom has dementia so they need to turn the oven off because of the danger. When she moved in mom tried to cook and it was still working after I was told it would be shut off. My mom has to setup cable and electricity all on her own instead of the community taking care of it.

like the best of all

like the best of all

1.Very clean facility. 2.All service...

1.Very clean facility. 2.All services provided are included in the "Signature Living" Plan. Excellent plan and very comprehensive. 3.Laundry service included in plan purchase. Washers and dryers are available for use in a spacious laundry room. 4.No bad odors. 5.Full,diverse and accessible activity program. 6.All staff was friendly and supportive. They all made eye contact, introduced themselves, presented us with personal business cards, greeted each of us in our party. 7.Outdoor spaces were very nice, I would have liked to have seen more of the lay-out, the gardens, it is supposed to sit on 6 acres of land. 8.We were invited to eat dinner with the residents. The food was tasty and nutritionally sound. One of the chefs came out and introduced herself.We ate dinner with a resident. Very pleasant dining experience. 9.Very secure facility.All patients have the WellAWARE Monitoring System. Awesome. 10.Many services can be added too: escort to meals and activities, daily reminders for meals and activities, medication management, etc. 11.Moving out Life Loan, door to door solutions 12.Mom fell onto the bed in the apartment we were shown and sighed. She fell into the chair in the living room and said "I can see myself living here". Once in the car, before we pulled away she said"I can move in tomorrow!" Guests are able to stay with residents up to 2 weeks! We all loved it!

This was Mom's second favorite locati...

This was Mom's second favorite location. The director who took us on the tour, was very friendly and open to discuss all options available and answer our questions. She even treated us to lunch which was ok. Mom liked the different rooms we visited and liked the layout of the facility. It seemed newer than iit probably is. She liked that all the members of the staff we met gave her their card so she could remember their names. Since this facility offers options to pick and choose from to build your care package, Mom liked that concept.

Have van. Dining room with 3 full se...

Have van. Dining room with 3 full service meals. Can have car.

The Towers offers Independent Living, Assisted Living and a Memory Care program. Independent and Assisted Living offer studio, one bedroom or two bedroom apartment options. The Towers offers different fee structures based on the individual needs of each resident. We work with each resident and family on an ongoing basis to develop the plant that is right for them. And, when those needs change, we simply change the plan without having to have the residents move to different parts of the community. The Towers can offer care for those residents with increased care needs, on-site clinic hours for our residents, and peace of mind that comes from knowing that we take special pride in providing safety and security for our residents.