Ginter Hall Assisted Living & Memory Care - North Chesterfield, VA

Although it was located in an odd location, in a strip area, it does offer access to many stores and restaurants to take mom when visiting. The building shows its age. There were some renovations on the first floor, and there seemed to be a few projects that needed to be done, but haven't been done yet. The staff seemed friendly. The residence did not seem to be as engaged as some of the other facilities I've visited. For the cost, mom could get a private room instead of a semi private room.

The tour was very good. It is a place where families can save money for their parents' care for sure. However, it is quite dated once you leave the lobby area. I'm not one to need to see all the bells and whistles but the old center block walls felt a little institutionalized. I also noticed there was a pungent odor after exiting the elevator on both the 2nd and 3rd floors. It did go away as we moved from that area. The residents seemed okay. Their bottom/1st floor also had some updated rooms for those who wanted them. It's not a bad place overall, but just not for us.

[name removed] was great to talk to gave me a lot of information. The place is nice and the staff was very polite and took their time with their residence made sure they were happy.

Can't put my finger on it, but there's something strange here. They're cutting costs, especially in the food dept. You get what you pay for.

Very old and not at all modernized

We didn’t like this place at all. They weren’t modern at all and looked very old. The rooms were not that big and it looked more institutionalized. There was no carpet in the rooms either, only tile floors. However, everything was clean. They told us about the basic activities that they offer for everyone to participate in. The person that gave us the tour was nice, answered all our questions, and basically told us what the facility had to offer. It wasn’t the right place for us so we went with a different community.

Not our first choice anymore

When we first moved our loved one into this community I would have to say it was a four out of five. They have had some management and staffing changes, unfortunately this seems to have caused the community to decline. They do not seem to have enough staff and sometimes when you entered the community there was a slight odor. They were not providing the care services they promised and were charging us for. I would not currently recommend this community.

Comfortable stay!

Everything is going just fine for my loved one at this facility! The staff is great and my loved one enjoys the meals. Though my loved one does not participate in too many activities, there are plenty offered to her. She finds her room to be very comfortable. Overall, we made a great decision in choosing this facility!

The facility would meet the requirements fine. It was clean, no odor, the staff were very welcoming and friendly. I believe they are sincerely interested in the residents.

Older established well run facility with great staff

Efficient organized staff with friendly and caring personnel.
Our family is very pleased with our brother's new location and feel he will be well taken care of in his new home.

This is an interesting place. It's located directly beside a major shopping mall so it's convenient. The place was clean and the condition was difficult to assess as there was some renovations in progress. The renovated rooms were very nicely appointed. Some of the rooms have shared bathrooms. The unit I was interested in was the memory care unit which was located on the 2nd of 3 floors. There are common areas for the residents that seem sort of out in the open and near the center of the floor. The building and furnishings are starting to show some wear. It was late when I visited so the residents seemed a little bored, but that may be a part of the time of day. Overall, this was just ok and about average of the places I've visited. It's hard to assess condition with the ceiling tiles missing and renovations in progress.

A good tour!

This is a nice community. They made some improvements on the first floor. They have started improvements on one of the other floors. The staff I met were nice. The activities they offered did not seem to fit what we were looking for. The rooms were nice, however it did not seem that they had pull cords for emergencies.

Older facility and assisted living only. The rooms gave me the imperssion of a nursing home not independent living.

Not acceptable for us, because secure unit on 2nd floor with no access to garden areas without permission.

Caution: sub standard conditions, theft, and lies.

This facility is poorly run and dishonesty runs rampant through this place. I have already written one review and it has been removed. Now, I have been asked to write a second to document the problems and to aid in an investigation into the illegal practices by this institution and others that will soon be aired on the evening news. In a nutshell, personal items are consistently taken from the room of the person we have staying there. Flower vases have been stolen, personal items to include diapers, have gone missing less then 24 hours after they had been purchased and placed in the room. Recently I purchased a new mattress for our loved one because the mattress Ginter Hall provided was so pitiful and substandard. I will now wait for a call as that mattress is stolen and replaced with a second hand mattress. I would caution those reading this message that Ginter Hall is a shame, a sham and a shambles.

Mixed experience

Overall I think Ginter Hall is a very nice community, in terms of the facility itself and the friendliness of the staff. However, we've run into some issues with the actual care provided. The communication of instructions and care information between staff members could use some work, you end up having to repeat requests quite often as they are not communicated between staff members.

Had a hard time but they were kind and helped.

I have been very please with the people who have helped my Mom, who is 91, make the adjustment to assisted living. They are kind and will make every effort to help make the transition as easy as they can, for both the person moving there and the family concerned about thee move.

friendly and caring

At Ginter Hall Assisted Living & Memory Care the staff were friendly and caring. They may not have had as professional a staff as she had prior but this facility is pretty adequate.

From a daughter who loves her 91 year old mom.

Everyone I have met so far at Ginter hall has been very friendly and helpful. My mother tells me she is happy at her new home. She moved from The Virginian which is independent living. I think she is happy with the structure of an assisted living environment. If I had a small complaint, it would be that I wish they would offer the residents coffee or tea during the day as they have no way of heating water for tea or coffee. I think that would be a nice amenity that would not be that hard to offer.

very nice

Ginter Hall Assisted Living & Memory Care is a very nice facility with staff that really genuinely care about the patients/residents. This is our first time going through something like this and overall for the most part they have made it a pleasant experience. The only thing that I have noticed which has been a little challenging at times is that there is no single person to deal with whenever there is a problem. There are a lot of people do deal with for various issues and questions that arise. Other than that, everything is going well.

Knowing Mom is in a safe, friendly environment means so much to me. The nurses are all great and quite well-equipped to handle so many different situations and they all know the patients' names and treat them with respect. The administrative staff are great as well.

A Great Place For Mom

I was taking care of my mom, who has dementia, in my home. I knew I had to make some kind of arrangements for her care since I had to return to my job. I contacted "A Place For Mom" who put me in touch with Ginter Hall and the admissions director. As soon as I walked in to this facility I knew it was home for Mom. The staff were so friendly and accommodating. Ginter Hall is not at all like a nursing home. Every resident is treated with dignity and respect. The staff goes a long way to make each resident feel right at home.
My mom has been at Ginter Hall for a month. She is very happy and considers Ginter Hall home. How reassuring is that.

Finding the right solution by using "A Place For Mom"

For starters I was at a lost as to how my family and I could take care of my mother's needs. I knew that I had to find a solution and soon because I needed to return to work and we really did not want strangers in our home to take care of mom. There were so many options that it was totally overwhelming. A friend had suggested "A Place For Mom". Within 5 minutes of talking with them I knew I had made the right choice in calling. "A Place For Mom" told me about Ginter Hall South and made an appointment for me to visit within 48 hours. I can't tell you how relieved I was feeling. As soon as I walked in the doors of Ginter Hall, I knew it was going to be the place for my mom. I was greeted with warmth and compassion and the staff worked with me to make sure mom would be accommodated. Ginter Hall was everything we were looking for and now I feel so at ease.

Fran and I met on 3/18 - decided to move Mom here. Thanks for the suggestion - this is a wonderful facility.

Just Moved Mom In

Just moved my Mother into the community... She has a room in the Renovated 1st floor and she loves it. Very Nice! They have done a lot of improvements/renovations to the building inside and out. Very Affordable too! The least cost (by far) that I found when touring around other communities. We had Mom at a "very expensive West End" community and this is much better... Believe me. very happy with our decision to bring Mom here!

Friendly Staff

Toured the community... It is an older building, but it was neat & clean. All of the staff that I met was nice and friendly. Rates are very affordable and in a nice location for us. It's on our "short list."

Visited the facility on Sun...

Visited the facility on Sunday. It is not a good fit for my mom.

very out-dated...

The building feels like a hospital. Just can't picture my aunt here.

The staff was wonderful the instituti...

The staff was wonderful the institutional look was a little bit of a turn off for us

Ginter Hall South is committed to enriching the lives of senior adults through top quality care and a wide variety of services offered in a warm, comfortable atmosphere. Our facility serves seniors who are challenged by complete independent living, require daily supervision and assistance, or need socially interactive activities. By combining dedicated service and quality living, Ginter Hall South has created a residential community that integrates healthy living with compassionate care.

Ginter Hall South provides a secure environment specifically designed to accommodate seniors' changing needs. We are conveniently situated near many of Richmond's more popular suburban neighborhoods south of the James River. Visit us. We look forward to meeting your needs and exceeding your expectations.