Elmcroft of Chesterfield - Richmond, VA

Highly Recommended

I can highly recommend Elmcroft of Chesterfield for both the Assisted Living and the Memory unit facilities. My father was extremely well taken care of on the Assisted Living part. The staff from the top on down was capable, caring and eager to please often anticipating things before we or my father could ask. Lots of activities and good food.
On the Memory side my mother is extremely happy and pleased with her care. The staff often would put my parents together at functions without our asking and it made them very happy.

My family and I highly recommend Elmcroft of Chesterfield.

Very nice facility, no negative comments.

Excellent

Compared to the previous facility that my love one was in this is a total upgrade. It was like she was in a Motel 8 and now she’s at the Hilton. It’s excellent and the staff to resident ratio is very good. I don’t have to worry at all having my love one here. They actually provide activities too like taking the residents on outings, manicures, Bingo, live entertainment, and just different things all day. They have a lot more going on.

Very welcoming staff; clean and cheerful property; good variety of activities and programs. Will choose for 91 year old mother.

Great People

If anyone needs assisted living I can highly recommend Elmcroft of Chesterfield. EVERYONE who works there are so nice and considerate. They accommodated my Mom's vision problem by cutting up her meals for her. The servers who brought out the food to the tables in the dining room knew everyone's name and treated them like family. I can not think of anything negative to say about them. When she had to go to the hospital a few times while there, staff would come visit her. This is the only place I have been involved with where even the directors were rotating weekends to be there. worked on weekends. They had so many activities for the guest there. And pricing was about the same as everywhere else.

Megan Strothman

Thank you for your kind words! We want all of our residents to have a home-like environment and receive the proper care. Thank you for sharing your pleasant experience! We are glad to have your mom at Elmcroft.

A good visit

I liked this community when I visited. The staff I met were friendly and knowledgeable. The food I tried was good. The community is well taken care of. The community we chose was in a better location for us.

Megan Strothman

Thank you for your feedback! We are glad you had a positive experience with us.

Three Cheers for Elmcroft Chesterfield

I recently moved my father from another assisted living community to Elmcroft of Chesterfield. The difference between the two could not be greater. Elmcroft comes out on top in every category.

At the previous community, my father was being charged for every service, including administration of his meds. Unfortunately, many of those services were not delivered, even when brought to the attention of management. The focus was on income to the community, not the resident.

At Elmcroft the focus is on the resident. The staff is consistently caring and goes the extra mile. An alert pendant is standard in assisted living and memory care.
Accommodations are available in a range of sized and prices, including shared living space. SInce my father has trouble selecting from a menu, Elmcroft provides me with menus in advance so that I can ensure that my father is served foods he likes. He has never complained about the food, a huge change. The staff bathes and helps him to dress daily, so that we can concentrate on companionship instead of bathing and dressing. Incontinence is handled with tact and a focus on retaning the dignity of the resident. The staff always greets residents by name, and are caring and compassionate at all times. Elmcroft has a warm and nurturing environment that makes residents feel safe and cared for. And I cannot say enough good things about [Removed], the executive director. She knows all of the residents names and histories. Her positive and caring focus makes Elmcroft a good place to be.

Megan Strothman

Thank you for your positive review! We are so glad to hear that your experiences have been pleasant. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and we want to let you know that we love having your father here!

Nice people!

The Elmcroft of Chesterfield was a very nice place. During the tour, the tour guide took me around the entire building and the place was clean. All of the staff that I came into contact with were very nice.

Megan Strothman

Thank you for your feedback! We are glad you had a positive experience with us.

Lovely and loving "Home".

My Mother had the privilege of calling Elmcroft home for the last five years of her life. We know that by moving Mom to this particular facility, allowed her to live her final years with quality of life that we could not provide, nor would she have had trying to live by herself. Mom received excellent care when needed during her time here. The Director, who has been at Elmcroft for a number of years, is outstanding, and expects (and gets) the same from her staff. She is always accessible to the residents and their families. We loved the stability of the staff - very little turnover. The environment is a loving one for the residents, and you truly feel like you have a second family there. They offered many activities for the residents for all levels of physical abilities. We loved, and so did Mom, the fact that it is a smaller facility, beautifully decorated, very clean, and "tucked away" on a cul-de-sac road so it is quiet. I have recommended this facility to a number of people looking for a new "home" for their parents.

Megan Strothman

Thank you for the kind review! There is no greater honor than to be trusted with a very special member of your family.

Your search will end, when you visit Elmcroft of Chesterfield

When it came time to move Mom from her home of 62 years to an Assisted Living Facility, we chose Elmcroft of Chesterfield. Mom had bladder cancer issues and macular degeneration. I called Elmcroft and the director, [Removed] invited me to come in that day. [Removed] kind and friendly personality was comforting for us. She assured us that Mom would be cared for in a loving and respectful way. An important issue for us was that Mom would be cared for by females only. [Removed] assured us that was the rule there. She said there were other people living there with the same visual problem as Mom.
The Facility was small, compared to others we had visited, which was a plus for someone with visual problems. It was obvious the building was extremely clean. The residents were enjoying the grand piano being played by one of the residents and a fire was burning in the gorgeous fireplace! It felt like home. Mom loved being in that area.
Mom loved the entertainment, the piano music before breakfast and all the lovely people taking care of her. When her cancer progressed, she passed away. During the few days that she was bedridden, we were with her round the clock. The staff checked on us during that time, but their focus was on Mom, always making sure she was clean and comfortable. One of Mom's favorite nurses came in one evening and in her native language, prayed over Mom. It was so touching and beautiful.
If you are looking for real compassion, safety and care, Visit Elmcroft you will be happy you did, and so will your loved one.

Won't find a better place

Won't find a finer assisted living facility in the area. We originally moved my Mom into Elmcroft for respite care after a back injury. After a few weeks there we all agreed that as did Mom that this was the place she needed to be with the elder issues she was experiencing. We had looked at several facilities in the area to make sure Elmcroft was the bet for her. Beyond a show of a doubt Elmcroft was the only place for Mom. Within a month of Mom's stay we noticed a significant change in her personality and outlook on life. She was happy again, having recovered from her injury she couldn't be happier with the her life at Elmcroft. The staff was outstanding and always gave the feeling that each resident was the only resident staff had to attend to. The kindness, love and caring everyone at Elmcroft gave Mom was outstanding. I was a bit surprised to read the rather negative review posted here and people should never make disparaging remarks without knowing the facts. You won't find a better place for care and concern for a loved on then you will at Elmcroft in Chesterfield. Mom had five wonderful years living there and our family was extremely grateful for the outstanding care and love Mom received until the very end. [Removed], the director is without a doubt the kindest, most caring and loving individual we ever had the pleasure of knowing and always considered her and the entire staff part of our "family". We are eternally grateful for all the wonderful care our Mom received in her final years and have [Removed] and the staff to thank for that. If you are considering a place for respite or long term care for you loved on Elmcroft should be on the top of your list.

This has been a very disappointing experience since my parent has been there. The food is not consistently nutritious and tasty. As well as the murder that occurred this past Oct.there, which is the proof reiterated of being short staffed. Some of the staff has proven incompetent of the overloaded work that is expected of them. They are not genuine in their concern for patients as several families will tell you.

Megan Strothman

We are so sorry to hear this. Our top priority is the well being of our residents. Our mission is dedicated to enriching the lives of the individuals who live and work with us. With that said, we do have new management in place and we are more confident than ever that we will continue to enrich the lives of others. Again, I am sorry to hear this has been a difficult experience for you.

We liked this community!

The people I met were nice and the community seemed clean. This community was among my top choices. I liked this community when we visited, however we did choose a community with larger apartments.

Let the light shine!

I was able to tour this place and have to say that the staff is great. They showed me around and answered all questions. The place just didn't seem right. The halls were small and there was very little light. The feeling I got from the place was really low.

Very impressive. The person we met with was very willing to provide information even though Elmcroft did not appear to be a good fit. Staff was friendly and busy. Residents were out and about, busy and socializing. That was encouraging. We were looking for independent living but for assisted living it appears to be an excellent option.

It was the hardest decision that I have had to make moving my grandfather out of our home where he had been for several years. Elmcroft made the transition easy and their caring staff has continued to support us. It is truly like having him be with family!!

So far things are working out well.

So far things are working out well. We haven't had any major complaints so far. I would think if five is the best they would be right up there, about a four and a half. We are pretty happy with them so far.

I am very satisfied with Elmcroft.

I am very satisfied with Elmcroft. Sometimes it seems like the menu gets a little repetitive, but for the most part people are able to eat it. It's institutional food, a little more variety would be nice. I think Luann does the best she can with they have, and they really care about the residents. I liked that it was smaller, and there would be more individualized attention. But mom sometimes think they take a little bit of time to get to her if she rings the bell.

Fabulous!

It's fabulous. The philosophy of caring and maintaining resident independence and dignity starts with the executive director and the staff. My loved one is treated as a member of their family. They are attended to his needs and mine. The Elmcroft of Chesterfield Is a great community. They have many activities that keep the residents busy. This has been a great experience for my loved one and I. They are great.

Very nice looking place!

We toured this community when we were looking into care options for a loved one. Out of all the places we saw I think this one was probably my favorite, I'd give them top marks across the board. The staff was very friendly and professional, and the facility was well kept and clean. We ended up selecting another community due to proximity to family, but I would highly recommend this place to others looking into care options!

Elmcroft is outstanding

Being an out of town care giver, I have found Elmcroft to be outstanding. Their help in getting everything ready on short notice for an emergency move, coordinating access when furniture move took place, to calls and emails regarding my Aunt's situation as she continues in the memory care unit. They are attentive and available, offering suggestions to assist me with the distance issue. I see them involved with the residents and feel very comfortable with their care. LuAnn and Candance have been outstanding in this transition and on-going care. I highly recommend Elmcroft.

impressed

The top thing that has impressed me the most has been the communication between the director, the staff, and the family. They have kept me very much in the loop with everything going on with mom and we have been able to work together to work through any issues as we work together to care for mom.

Mom mom was not happy at first about making the move, but she has been there for a little over a month now and every time she talks to someone she tells them about how wonderful it is there!

the food is good, the staff is great

Everybody has been great there at Elmcroft of Chesterfield. Dad's sense of time is somewhat displaced, and they tend to be a little late with their meals, so he tends to be overly dramatic about that.

But the food is good, the staff is great.

Nice place, overall!

Overall I think Elmcroft of Chesterfield has done an excellent job so far. The staff are very friendly, and the facility itself is bright, clean, and has a warm family atmosphere. I also thought the food was excellent, but according to my loved one it has declined somewhat since she moved in.

Good care, some difficulty with billing

We used Elmcroft for a brief respite stay for my loved one, and overall I thought they did a good job in terms of care and what they provided. The facility itself was nice looking and clean, and the staff were friendly and caring. There was some confusion with the billing that left a sour taste in my mouth, and we ended up being charged for 3 days rather than 2, so I think they could do a better job explaining that.

Clean and well maintained c...

Clean and well maintained common areas. Staff and residents were friendly and welcoming. Being updated. Rooms were nice.

Elmcroft was a little more expensive than some of the others

Elmcroft was a little more expensive than some of the others we were looking at. I did like the layout, being all on one floor. I also liked that they had a nice courtyard area, giving the residents a chance to walk around outside. It was also a little too far away for us, but really nice.

EXCELLENT!!!!

Elmcroft was an excellent choice for my parents. You can not find a more loving staff. It broke my heart when I realized I could not afford to keep them there for the rest of their life (since they do not accept Medicaid). I moved my parents to Lucy Corr (which has been a good experience for my dad, my mom passed away 2 months after their move). If I had the money we would have remained at Emcroft.

I did like this very much a...

I did like this very much and had a lot of trouble deciding between this one and the other one that I chose. I liked the staff a lot and they really cared about the residents. This was a little further away (not that much) and cost just a little more. Tough decision. It was nice and bright.

Sara very helpful. People ...

Sara very helpful. People friendly, residents seem content. Cleanliness average +. Dining room, lobby and rooms have minimal natural light. Rooms small. Staff friendly. Limited area outside for walking. Pretty good activities. Bus transportation on Wednesdays.

My second choice

I liked that facility a lot, I liked that the people seemed well cared for, it was clean, the staff seemed very active with the patients there. The rooms were clean and I liked the all inclusive thing instead of nickling and diming you for every little thing. It was all included in one price, I did like them.

Lock down was too small

I toured this for my father, I was looking at locked units. The only reason I didn't go with this was that they had a small lockdown facility, wasn't very large and that was a factor. I thought it would be good for him to have more social interaction.

For people with more extreme needs

I visited this one by accident and it was kind of depressing. The residents looked kind of catatonic, it was an assisted living plus PLUS if I were to label it. It's for people with more needs, they have on staff nurses but I think that's when people are a little too far gone, where they can't bathe themselves or they get lost.

I had a very nice visit wit...

I had a very nice visit with Luann and Sara. I can see that Elmcroft is a very caring community and may be a good possibility in the future. Luann is such a caring person and I think this reflects throughout. It was nice to see some of the Morningside staff. At Luann's suggestion, I am going to request a care meeting with the staff at Spring Arbor for my mother.

A great place. When and if my Mom nee...

A great place. When and if my Mom needs more help. I will recommend this one.

Small, pricey and conjested with not ...

Small, pricey and conjested with not enough amenities.....good people and experienced but the setting was questionable....

She has since selected this place (as...

She has since selected this place (as have we) because the residents seem happier and livelier

These people were extremely nice. I ...

These people were extremely nice. I think my mother would do very well here if it was just her. The lunch was very good.

We love the environment. We love the...

We love the environment. We love the people and types of rooms and the security

Nice facility; staff was very friend...

Nice facility; staff was very friendly and helpful. Pricey

Bright and comfortable. Nice sized ro...

Bright and comfortable. Nice sized rooms. Located near church and back off the highway. Looks like there is plenty of outdoors area. Like this.

Elmcroft of Chesterfield is located in North Chesterfield,Virginia, just south of the James River and near the city of Richmond. We are located just minutes from the Historic Bon Air area as well as Stoney Point Shopping Center and have been serving the area for over 15 years.

Elmcroft of Chesterfield is an assisted living and memory care community offering accommodations for those who may require assistance in their daily living activities. It is staffed 24 hours a day with trained healthcare personnel and offers as much or as little care as a resident may want or need.

In addition, Elmcroft of Chesterfield has a licensed Health Care Director on call 24 hours a day. Our staff is noted for its longevity having just won and award for 94% retention for 2012 of staff and 97% in 2013. Our management team has over 137 years combined experience in senior care.

At Elmcroft you will find it very warm and community oriented with only 44 apartments in assisted living and 31 apartments in Heartland Village our memory care community all on one floor.

We are located close to three hospitals - Johnston Willis, Chippenham and St. Francis, popular shopping areas and restaurants with easy access to I95 and I64.