The Rockwood - Webster Groves, MO

Needs some updating.

The Rockwood is an older building and is not very attractive. They have recently completed some updating but it still doesn't have a welcoming feel. When we toured the community the residents did not seem to be very active and it was really quite. The staff that offered the tour were kind and able to address all of my concerns.

Eric Kuenkler

Thank you for touring our community. I assure you that this building is very up to date with all the modern conveniences of today but in 2006 was restored back to it's 1930's English Tudor stylings. Being on the Historical Registery is an honor, and many appreciate it's value and charm. I'm sorry you did not feel that way. We do not claim to be all things to all people. We are small, but we take service and quality very seriously. You are correct about The Rockwood being quiet. Most of our Residents are very active outside our community. Unless we have a scheduled event in the building, you will find them all around town enjoying the many things about Webster Groves. We are one of the most independent of Independent Living communities in St. Louis. That freedom is what draws our Residents to us. If you would like to come back during one of our weekly events and talk to the Residents here, I'm sure you will understand the reason we are so well liked. We may not be a big country club or palace in the industry, but we are definitely a hidden gem in Webster Groves.

The Rockwood is in a great location

This community was slightly larger and a little more expensive than the community we choose. It seemed to be a little more upscale. The apartments are a little nicer and the building itself was gorgeous. The staff I met were nice and if this community was a little less expensive we may have chosen it.

Eric Kuenkler

Thank you for coming in to visit us! I'm glad you appreciate all the work that was done in restoring The Rockwood to it's original stylings of the 1930's. I'm sorry we did not fit into your price range. Rates are always negotiable. Our quality of service never will be. If something changes and you would like to come back and talk, let's do it. Thanks again!

In my VERY early research for retirement living, I toured The Rockwood 7 June 2016. The building was beautiful (I love old buildings) and fully modernized while the original woodwork, etc., remained in place. Eric was very helpful and answered all of my questions. The Rockwood has many good features (small size, Webster Groves location, independent living). However, as with most early 20th Century homes, the closets are TINY! Even in the two bedroom plans, we would need at least two chifferobes/cabinets for storage. Eric would really have to work with me to teach me how to downsize! Still, I could see us living here one day. Thank you, Eric, for the tour.

Eric Kuenkler

Thank you so much for coming to visit us!!
You are correct about the closets at the Rockwood. One setback from being built in the 1920's, clothes was not a big thing as they are in today's society. The owners have listened to many of the suggestions from those who have toured and have actually started adding closets to some of the rooms. One now has a his & hers closet and another has a large closet in the guest bedroom. The owners have a philosophy that if you love The Rockwood and there is something keeping you from coming here, they will do what they can to resolve that issue. In this case closets. And funny enough, some of the one bedrooms were built with more closets than some of the two bedrooms originally. That's what we get for an 88 year old building. :-) Thanks again for touring!! We hope to see you back again soon!

A good place to live

Eric was so helpful. Mary has really made our parents feel at home. The food we are told is delicious! It is clean and quaint!

Eric Kuenkler

Thank you for reviewing us! We all do what we can to help ease our new Residents into a different type of living than what they have been used to. I'm so happy to know that your parents feel right at home here.
And yes, our chef is phenomenal! Come join your parents for dinner one night. We would love to have you!

This place is beautiful but...

This place is beautiful but it is not a good fit for Grandmother. I didn't see any residents outside their apartments in the common areas. This was the only tour I have been on that I noticed no residents wandering about.

Eric Kuenkler

Thanks for touring. For us, it's a good thing that not many wander around the building. They all have lives outside our community and gather when we have scheduled events. Very lively, very active, very independent. Come again during an event and you will see how lively our Residents really are.

Not impressed

This was one of the locations we looked at while looking into senior living for a loved one. It was not one we were particularly impressed with. It was a smaller community, and we didn't see many residents around during the tour. It was also a bit further from family than we were wanting to look.

Eric Kuenkler

Thank you for coming to tour. We understand that many people enjoy the larger community setting with a large population of residents. Some like the country club, resort or the hotel feel. The smallness of The Rockwood is what lends our residents a sense of feeling at home. Being as independent as this community is, you will not find many residents here during the day. Everyone is active here, in and out of the building. After breakfast they are out and about doing what they please. Freedom is a big word here. This community is not for everyone. It is a boutique living style. But the residents who are here knew it was for them the second they walked through the doors. Thank you again for taking the time to review us.

a fine residence

I am surprised and pleased at how well run the residence. My father is very happy, particularly with the meals. The staff is available, helpful, and courteous. The location is very favorable with many businesses in the immediate vicinity.

Eric Kuenkler

Thank you Steven!! We quite enjoy having your father here!

Wonderful facility!

Wonderful facility!

Eric Kuenkler

Thank you for your compliment!! We think so too!!

I like the smaller, older building.

I like the smaller, older building.

thanks!

People of a certain age tend to see their mailboxes fill up with brochures and cards from large senior living communities-each claiming to have the perfect solution for everyone.

At The Rockwood, we don't claim to be all things for all people. As a matter of fact, with only twenty nine apartment homes, we are considered small.

Small is Better
Small is good because we get to know you and your preferences. We know the daily rhythm of your life and work with you as an individual to help you stay fulfilled and engaged in life. We take service seriously, but we get to know you well enough to enjoy the lighter side of life as well.

The Rockwood offers a full suite of conceirge services, chef-prepared meals, 24-hour security and staffing, housekeeping and much more. Residents of The Rockwood have the choice of several spacious floor plans. We offer exceptional service, a gracous setting and a wonderful value in retirement living:
-Meticulously restored alcove, one or two bedroom apartments with full kitchens, laundry hook-ups, individual heating and cooling
- 24-hour staffing and emergency call system
- All utilities paid (includes cable TV), except telephone
- Multiple living and sitting areas with fireplaces
- Outdoor gardens with paved walking paths
- Exercise room
- Complimentary laundry room
- Family entertaining room
- Covered underground parking
- Supportive services

The best way to get to know The Rockwood is for us to get to know you. We welcome your call and would love to arrange a personal visit with you. Discover why senior living starts here!