The Pearl at Kruse Way - Lake Oswego, OR

Over medicated

Just returned my father home, less than thrilled with the care. The night before, he called me high, singing and mumbling. This alerted us to go back over medication list that they were actually giving him, which was not what was ordered and restated by 2 members of the family. He was not in any pain, there was not any reason to give pain medication but we found he was given meds every 4 hours, even woke him at night to medicate him. Don't get fooled by new facility, looks, the staff is less than desirable.

Avoid the Pearl

Don't be fooled by the nice furnishings and the good food. A skilled nursing facility is only as good as the care givers it employs and most of the people working at the Pearl should not be taking care of anyone due to their lack of caring, incompetence and laziness. I received absolutely terrible "care" while staying here for 12 days. (A handful of RN's and CNA were excellent, but were far and few in the sea of incompetent ones.) (One nurse ripped an inch of my skin when changing a dressing, saying that ripping skin is just part of removing dressing. Another nurse failed to answer my call button for 35 minutes when I needed to go to the bathroom and only came when I called the front desk on my private phone after googling the Pearl's phone number on my laptop. I was told that in the future I should just have an accident and that they'd clean me up afterwards! When getting me ready for bed, another nurse left me uncovered and practically naked with the air conditioner blowing when her shift was over. She announced she had worked 4 minutes past the end of her shift and that the next shift would come in and cover me with a sheet and blanket and walked out the door. I lay there freezing for 25 minutes before the next shift came on and finally covered me. Aside from these major breaches in care, call buttons consistently went unanswered for 10-15 minutes (they assured me they have 18 minutes by law to answer a call button!), my pain meds were routinely delivered late (again they have 45 minutes to deliver meds before they are considered late), food was served cold, and so many other small things happened I can't even keep count. At the end of the stay, I was assured by the director of nursing that while she had reprimanded those who treated me so poorly that she stands by her staff and the exemplary qualify of care that the Pearl provides. The problem actually lies with me. They had done a poor job educating me about the actual level of care to expect and that my expectations were just way too high--they couldn't possibly ever provide me the type of care I had been expecting. Since they pretend to be a 5-star care facility, I was surprised to find out that they actually strive to provide only the state minimum mandated levels of care, and that they do. So, if you are looking for dismal level care at a premium price in a beautifully furnished institution, the Pearl is the place for you. If you actually seek excellent or even good care, run far and fast from the Pearl, since you will not find that here.

Friendly, caring staff

The Pearl at Kruse Way is a very nice place, overall! The facility itself is well kept and clean, and the staff all seem very friendly and professional! I do wish they were a bit more proactive when it comes to keeping family members appraised of their loved ones status and daily routine, I feel kind of in the dark about what my loved ones day to day routine is.

OK but needs work on care-giving

My mother was there for two weeks. For us, it was not so good. The licensed nurses, PTs and Social workers were great! However, The caregivers seemed more concerned with folding the table napkins than for caring for residents. The CNAs or cargivers that interacted with mom and I did not know the answers to basic questions like: When is laundry day? The answer that I got is, "I don't know." She was there for control of her heart medication but was not allowed out of bed unless a staff person was with her because they were afraid she'd fall. She lives independently at home. She hated staying in bed all day with nothing to do. No one ever helped her walk with her unless it was PT. So, for her rehab-not so good. I will find another facility next time.

Good Care

My mother just got out of here. She was there for rehab for about 4 weeks. The care was very good. That's a very nice facility. They do have activities. It's more like a skilled nursing/rehab facility so it's not a place you would stay in long term. It's more a place that you would be in for 1-3 weeks so they don't have bus trips or things like that. They bring in activities like once they had a guy making sushi in the lobby and the residents could go check out what he was doing. I think about once a week they did something.

Good Rehab

I think it was fine. You know, it's not as nice of a building fur they do a good job there. My mom was there and it's a good place for rehab.