Washington Gardens Memory Care Community - Tigard, OR

Review of Washington Gardens

My dad did not ultimately need placement in memory care, but if he ever does, this is where I would place him. The staff interacting with him were caring and respectful and the facility is warm and welcoming. During this challenging process they showed great compassion and kindness to our whole family.

Not a great atmosphere

I toured this facility while looking for a place for my loved one. We were hopeful for the community but it just didn’t feel right when we first walked in. The person that gave us the tour really seemed like they knew a lot about the facility but the residents didn’t seem like they were doing much. They looked like they were just sitting around and the staff seemed to be doing their own thing. The rooms looked fine and everything was laid out nicely, but it was generally the atmosphere that we didn’t like.

Review of Washington Gardens Memory Care Community - Tigard, OR

Exceptional care for my 96 years old mother for her final 3 years of life. Caregivers who embraced all aspects of residents care needs including emotional well-being. My mother felt at home there.

The facility was beautiful and clean. The staff was friendly and they were very caring towards the client we saw them interacting with. I really liked the private room with shared [Removed] bathroom, and large shower area in the bathroom. We love the proximity to our mother's house.

Wonderful place

I am so grateful for the crew at Washington Gardens. Amazing professionals that also make you feel like family. My mom is doing great there and they go out of their way to make her feel at home. One of the things I love most about Washington Gardens is that they have outdoor space that residents can access, and the whole place really feels like a home. My mom spends very little time in her room. I also love that I can visit any time of day or night. It has been a difficult 8 years caring for my mom, and this is the first time I feel like I can breathe and not worry about her! A true gift.

Very caring Compassionate care givers. Professional, respectful and courteous even when no one is watching. Kitchen extra clean and food is good. I ate there often. Activities staff cater to individual’s needs. Professional/office/Administrative staff treated us like family. The nurse is never going to get enough praise from me. I have been a nurse since 1983 and work in the field, to trust my loved one to their care should speak volumes.

The ED is very knowledgeable he took a good amount of time showing us around and explaining everything. The staff were very engaged with the other people there (who lived there).
The building was very clean, activities were going on and people were involved when the time is right we will be moving in.

The community has a “home like environment”. It seems to be calm and staff appear to be pleasant people.

They Have Private Bathrooms

My mother-in-law is doing fine and she likes it there. The care, activities and meals are good at the community. She has put on 3 pounds from the staff told us when they called with an update. The Executive Director was nice and had a nice apartment available with her own bathroom in it. They community is close to my daughter which is why we picked them.

Frontier Management

Thank you, for reaching out to us. Your opinion plays an integral part in our customer service. Wishing you a great day until the next time we meet.

Horrible. Stay away!

My father-in-law resided at Washington Gardens Memory Care from January 2015 through October 2016. We chose Washington Gardens because it was new, clean, had large private rooms, and seemed well-designed.

Soon after we moved my father-in-law in, the executive director left and the office manager was promoted to that position. Throughout our time at Washington Gardens the office manager, turned new executive director, exhibited incompetence combined with a shocking lack of understanding about dementia, which trickled down to the entire organization.

For example, repetitive behaviors are a very common part of dementia; my father-in-law began clapping loudly. Although annoying, it was not harming anyone. Rather than addressing the clapping, Washington Gardens claimed the behavior was unmanageable and threatened to kick him out if we, the family, didn’t figure out a solution. We provided several easy, common sense solutions and the problem was dealt with. Washington Gardens staff should have been able to come up with solutions and manage this on their own. This is only one of many examples of an instance in which administrative staff was incompetent, unhelpful, and threatening.

On several occasions when I was visiting I found prescription pills lying on tables, couches, or the floor that patients or the med aides had dropped. This is obviously a significant risk, both to the patients who were clearly not receiving their medication, and to the other residents who could have easily found and taken it. There is no reason for this to ever happen; that I found pills lying around multiple times is inexcusable and extremely dangerous.

On one occasion when I was at the facility another resident was wandering the hall covered in feces; it was very obvious by the smell and sight. It was not addressed and she was left to wander. After approximately 10-15 minutes I went to find a staff member to clean her up but could not find anyone.

Staff/caregivers not being present on the floor was a recurring problem. When they were present, they at times could be found chatting together away from the residents or looking at their phones. Caregivers made very little effort to engage my father-in-law in activities. He received bare minimum care, and staff did not at all seem to know or like him. This was a stark contrast to his previous facility, where he was clearly well-known and well-liked.

As his disease progressed my father-in-law often wet his bed. We brought this up repeatedly with the Washington Gardens executive director, director of the care staff and the caregivers. Over and over again we went to visit and found him sitting in soiled clothing, and his bed made even though it was soaked in urine. Staff did not check his bed in the morning to see if bedding needed to be changed, and put him to bed at night in urine-soaked sheets unless we were there to check.

Family is to be notified of health issues, and especially of any need for hospital visits. My father-in-law was sent via ambulance to the emergency room, though we had no notification that there were any significant problems leading up to this. We were not notified until half an hour after he arrived at the hospital. Several hours after arriving at the ER he died.

After his sudden death we had to contact Washington Gardens regarding an unresolved financial matter. Despite the executive director's claim that the issue would be resolved within a week or so, more than a month later we had not heard from them.

There are good, caring, clean, safe memory care facilities in the Portland area. Washington Gardens is not one of them and should be avoided at all costs.

Frontier Management

We strive to maintain excellent business relations at Washington Gardens. Please email Elizabeth Simon directly at [removed] to discuss ways we can work towards resolving this issue to your satisfaction. We look forward to hearing from you soon. We'd like the opportunity to make this up to you, so if you're willing, please contact Elizabeth Simon at [removed]. We hope to hear from you.

A Place For People Who Are Far In Their Stage

My mom is trying to get use to the community. Most of the residents are not that aware and she is not that bad. The staff are trying their best and the girls are nice to her. During the the week they have a lot of activities for the residents. The bathroom could be cleaner and they can improve on the cleanliness and be aware of the hygiene of the residents. I saw someone walking around with greasy hair.

Keep looking!

Some of the most unpleasant administrative staff I have ever encountered! Care staff are overworked and residents suffer. In this day and age when customer service is critical to maintaining customers, I don't know how they stay in business!

Nice place but they ended up declining admission

They ended up declining admission of my dad, after initially accepting him and accepting payment. My dad is admittedly a hard case. They did give a full refund of what we paid, so that was honorable. The facility is nice and the people are nice, no issues with any of that. If anything, I'd say they need better screening up front, perhaps a little less optimistic, to avoid backing out after things are already rolling (e.g. payments made, furnishings moved in, alternative locations notified that a choice was made, etc ).

My mother is happy here

The caregivers there are excellent. The staff is very nice. I am not too thrilled with the office staff. She's been there for a month, my mother looks so much better since has been there. She seems happy and she has gained weight since she's been there.

Compassionate staff

They have some very compassionate staff, but I would recommend that they increase the staffing. Overall it is pretty good. I would recommend this place to others.

Washington Gardens

I have gone rounds and rounds with the staff trying to get them to fill out long term care insurance claims timely and correctly. I have to call them multiple times a month to check in about it and they still cannot get it right. Very disappointing.

very accommodating

The people at Washington Gardens Memory Care Community were very accommodating. Any time there was a problem they made sure to correct it.

One area where I do think they could improve would be a little better communication between the staff and management.

I wouldn't recommend it. When we first chose them, they did an assessment, and they filled out a care plan, and deemed that she needs to have the highest level of care. I have to be there all the time, she has had all kinds of incidents. They don't have enough staff, it's what the government requires, but it's not enough. If they don't need a lot of help and they are mobile it might be okay, but they don't get any interaction, and there is no stimulation. I was sold a bunch of bull, they tell me that they care and are compassionate. The staff doesn't read charts, just the nurse. She basically gets left in the bed, or sat in her chair or wheelchair. It reminds me of one flew over the cuckoos nest. Since her food has to be pureed, it will sit in a bowl while everyone is eating, and let it sit until someone can get up to feed her, and it's just everything on the plate, put in a blender like pig slop. Go spend a few days, and not when they know you are coming, before you move there. My loved one went in walking and continent and now she is incontinent and can't move.

Staff very kind, could use to be more attentive, not a lot of activities

My parent doesn't have to share a room. He's allowed to have a phone, which the other ones we looked at would'n't allow.

Staff is great, willing to work with us on Dad's specific needs.

The only thing that is difficult is, we came from one one one care for my Dad, to a place where a staff member has a number of residents to care for, so when we call for help for my Dad it can take some time. My Dad is supposed to be supervised when he gets up, and that doesn't always happen. He has a habit of wandering at night, and we're working on it.

They had a hoedown that he didn't want to attend. Someone comes in once a week for exercise. The activities director seems to have been out. I haven't seen a lot of activities, and I'm there every weekend.

The staff are pretty amazing as far as going out of their way if a resident is having trouble, they'll take the person by the hand. There are a lot of Alzheimer's patients, and I have found amazingly kind of patient.

I also like the fact that nowhere does it smell like urine.

Washinton Gardens gets residents involved!

Our mom has been living at Washington Gardens for about 6-7 weeks now. For the first time in many years she now participates in social activities and when we come to visit is often joining with others in whatever is going on. She seems happier now than we have seen for quite some time. We are very pleased.

Washington Gardens Memory Care

My mother has only been there for less than 2 weeks, but so far they have been great. I will know more once she has been there for a few months.

Washington Gardens Memory Care Community is a assisted living facility located in Tigard, Oregon. They offer specialized memory care for individuals with Alzheimer's disease, dementia and other forms of memory loss. Washington Gardens Memory Care Community families with aging loved ones a sense of security and safety. Washington Gardens Memory Care Community encourages and fosters independence while offering the stability of routine. There are several on-site amenities, such as warm meals, linen service, personalized care plans, and special events. Washington Gardens Memory Care Community works hard to personalize each individual's experience, so you can be assured that your loved one with have plenty to do and will be well taken care of. They really work hard to provide seniors with a homey environment and a sense of community. Washington Gardens Memory Care Community apartments are maintenance free and boast attractive interiors, individual climate control, and emergency call systems in each apartments. The facility offers seniors a range of palliative care and provides a calendar of programs to engage and strengthen the bonds between residents, families, and staff. Families can feel confident in their decision to make Washington Gardens Memory Care Community their aging loved one's new home.