The Parks Methodist Retirement Community - Odessa, TX

Read ALL reviews before making a decision.

This review is for the Nursing and Rehab portion of Parks. On my first visit, to see if this was a good place for Mom, my first impression was that it did not smell like urine, and was very very clean. Everyone I met was absolutely fantastic, friendly and very helpful. I made the decision to move mom here. Please keep in mind that Mom is very lucid and cohesive. She is fully aware of her surroundings, and can communicate as a normal adult. Was there for rehab. Admittedly, she can be very sassy, and very headstrong, and does not always follow the rules. She can be a handful, but this is not an excuse for things she saw here. Most staff members treated her like a 2 year old at first, until I made it clear that neither one of us appreciated her being treated like a child. Things were ok for a while. Then I started getting reports from Mom that night staff would let room buzzers go on for extended periods of time, would yell at residents, they were rough with the residents, and even told a gentleman that had fallen and broken his leg to "shut up". I experience a resident calling for help, and two CNA's were visiting. I watched as the resident had to wait more than 10 minutes to get help. I asked the CNA's if they were going to help her, and the rolled their eyes at me! Many times they would be out of basic meal items, like sugar, bacon, butter, etc. Sometimes no meat at all with meals. When they do a urinalysis, it takes well over a week to get the results back. Mom had a UTI that was septic as a result of this. Spent a week in the hospital because they also found out that Mom's INR was out of whack. There are some great nurses and CNR's here, but there are also a lot of horrible ones. We did not have a good experience here. Thankfully, I am able to visit OFTEN, and without warning. I am just glad that Mom was able to tell me what was going on. I do feel bad for patients that have no family, and for the ones that cannot communicate.

Good Atmosphere

My loved one lived here and we were very happy with it! Being a Methodist home, there was a nice atmosphere here. The kitchen staff were different from the regular staff, and they had actual servers. The staff all interacted with the residents and that made the atmosphere very friendly.