The Moorings of Arlington Heights Independent Living - Arlington Heights, IL

Come and take a look. You;ll love it.

The Moorings of Arlington Heights is a wonderful place to live. Residents and employees are very friendly. The go out of their way to keep you safe and accommodate your every need and want. Wide variety of things to do. While it is a Prespaterian facility, they make sure you have access to all other religions.

Saddened by the sales process

My husband and I live out of state. We have been trying to find out more about the Moorings since early Spring. All we know is his Mom toured the independent housing section at the end of last year after a medical diagnosis.

I called one of the sales staff and we talked about the continuum of care for about 45 minutes. She said she would email me information about the cost, size of rooms, etc. After more than a week, I had received nothing. I called back and left a message, asking questions about the occupancy rate in their assisted living, the staff-to-patient ratio, etc. She never returned my calls.

We know that my mother-in-law gave the Moorings all of her financial information in Feb., and she was told that she would receive care for the rest of her life, even if she ran out of money. If you're in assisted living or skilled nursing or hospice care, does this promise still hold true? How do they handle the transitions?

We've never gotten straight answers as to how any of this really works, as they have not been willing to send us any information.

I called to set up a tour, and was told they would have to have an internal meeting about it, and that they would call me back the next day. *They had to have a meeting to discuss whether we should be allowed to tour.* They never called.

I contacted A Place for Mom to set up a tour through them, since the Moorings was apparently not willing to return my calls. After another week, I finally received an email because I started asking questions through the website saying that they cannot answer any questions about the care they provide until my mother-in-law moves in. In other words, they're not willing to clarify anything (not even general questions about their services) until after they complete the sale.

I finally received confirmation that we would be able to tour, through an unbelievably rude email from the lead salesperson. We are in disbelief that they would communicate with family members this way. The language they've used with me is standoffish and uninviting, if not downright rude. We had to fly out and be in person before we were finally able to get information, and we were rushed through the skilled nursing portion because a proper tour was not set up. We later learned my Mother-in-law already signed the papers a month in advance, the deal was done.

I used to be a property manger and then later became a sales associate at a continuum of care in another state. I have been through extensive sales training for this market, and have been involved in this field for over 12 years. The behavior, communication, and etiquette coming from the Moorings is shocking. If we had the chance, we would shop around. I hope no one in my family has to go through something like this ever again.

My family and extended family feels very uneasy about this move. If anyone reads this and can private message me about their experience with this company, I would greatly appreciate it.

Some general tips if you're looking for a place:

Beautiful properties are being built all over our country to cater to our older generations, but please choose wisely. Tour at least three different places and look at all they have to offer. Encourage family members to tour facilities with you, and really understand the entire continuum you are buying into. Know who the owner of the facility you are giving your life savings to is, know their budgeting plans, their plans to grow and build. Ask where the money is coming from, and if they have investors. Ask if they can provide you with a list of broken down pricing for assistance care or if it is all inclusive. Make sure the place you choose can keep up their promises. Protect yourself when signing documents by having a knowledgable family member or elder law attorney present when you sign a contract. Understand if they take Medicare and/or Medicaid, and if they can cater to your future health needs. Make sure they will be able to contact your loved ones in a moment's notice should their be an emergency.
It is a huge decision to become part of a buy-in continuum of care, and many steps should be taken by a resident and extended family to make sure everyone involved will be comfortable for a very long time.

Sylvia Jones

Thank you for your feedback. I’m really sorry to hear about your recent frustrating experience. I would like to offer my sincerest apologies and assure you that this is not a regular occurrence at The Moorings of Arlington Heights or any Presbyterian Homes communities.
Based on the information you provided and the investigation I have conducted, there seems to have been some miscommunication between you, your mother-in-law and her son, the power of attorney. The sales counselor at The Moorings must also respect the confidentiality of your mother-in-law and needs approval from her in order to share information with others. I’m sorry that you were not included in the process, she probably didn’t want to further burden her children.
The Moorings of Arlington Heights, a Presbyterian Homes community, is a not-for-profit organization with a national reputation for creating extraordinary communities for more than 100 years. We have helped hundreds of people and answered thousands of questions regarding senior living.
Due to this financial strength, we can offer residents a unique benefit that outlines our commitment to continue to serve each resident, even if they outlive their financial assets through no fault of their own.

We provide licensed assisted living, licensed skilled nursing care and specialized memory care.
• Rated 5-star by Medicare
• Rated best by U.S. News and World Report
• Earned exclusive accreditation from the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities since 1990
• Exceptional staffing ratios
• Outstanding quality measures

The Moorings- a caring community

The facilities and staff are outstanding. My husband and I were helping my parents to try to find the right place for them. We had visited a couple other places but our first visit to The Moorings of Arlington Heights convinced us that this was the place for them. It has a very caring environment and the campus is beautiful ones having once been an old farm. Leah, The residency counselor that worked with us was fantastic. She is extremely knowledgeable, supportive and helped us through the entire process. We were on a waiting list for a little while but ended up with a beautiful apartment perfect for my parents . We just moved them in and are anxious for them to become settled and part of the community. I would recommend this place to anyone I know.

Sylvia Jones

Thank you for your review. We really appreciate it!

It's really nice.

My loved one wanted to stay here after we came fro rehab. It's really nice. They had social activities, and he enjoyed going to meals. It's really expensive, though. One of the nurses even came to visit him in his new home when he moved.

Beautiful. Loved the villa ...

Beautiful. Loved the villa that is available. Wonderful common areas. Saw an apt. It feels adequate. Prefer Villa. A little confused about pricing

Sylvia Jones

Thank you for your input. We value your opinion and continue to work on exceeding the expectation of current and future residents. We encourage you to call The Moorings additional details on the many financial options available to you. Please call [removed].

RUN AWAY FROM THE MOORINGS AS FAST AS YOU CAN!

Unfortunately my family member needed to be moved to the dementia care unit. The staff there is awful. I checked in many times unannounced and the ways in which my loved one was talked to and treated made me sick. The nurse [removed] so so aggressive and what I would consider abusive to patients has made me do what I can to switch my loved one out of the facility. If you have a choice, do NOT go here especially if you care about your family member. There are better places! The dementia care unit is AWFUL...absolutely AWFUL!! The patients are left unattended and when they beg for help they are told to sit down and stay there. I wouldn't recommend this to my worst enemy.

Sylvia Jones

Thank you for your input. We are very surprised to hear about your experience and sincerely apologize. We pride ourselves in the exceptional and personalized care we offer residents. We assure you this must have been an isolated incident and if this complaint was brought to the attention of the health care administrator, corrective action would have most definitely been taken.

I have to admit I didn't look as much...

I have to admit I didn't look as much there because as soon as we found out they couldn't accomodate her dietary needs (food needs to be in small pieces, not pureed, but mechanically ground) and that was extremely important but the layout was very good.

Nestled on a beautiful 45-acre campus, The Moorings of Arlington Heights is a member of Presbyterian Homes and ranks as one of the top 50 planned communities for seniors in the country. Lovely two-bedroom villas and delightful one- and two-bedroom apartments are featured for independent living. Every villa has a patio and garage. Common areas include a computer lab, a fitness center and indoor heated pool. Walking and bicycle paths and a diverse schedule of activities are available. An assisted living community and nursing home, with specialized Alzheimer’s care, are located on the campus. Adult day services are offered as well. Accredited by CCAC.