The Marquette - East Lansing, MI

My relative lives here and I have a few things I need to say about the facility. I love her apartment and the staff are friendly, helpful, and just plain great people. However, the food leaves a lot to be desired. The servings are extremely small. For example, a half a piece of toast or two small strips of bacon. The fish is smaller than the palm of my hand. I don’t understand why they have to serve rice with almost every meal. What’s wrong with potatoes and I mean a whole potato, not half. Stop with all the fancy food also. I’ve heard the complaints and the residents would prefer hamburgers, hot dogs, stews, pasta with thick sauces not the runny stuff. Also, why don’t they have meal plans. If you’re not a big eater or just want breakfast and lunch but not dinner, why can’t you just buy that. A great deal of the residents don’t eat because the food isn’t flavorful.

Very independent living which is what we were looking for, open floor plans, balconies which allow direct outside access. Peaceful location with lots of birds and woodland view. We like the locators vs the pull cords to call for help. Like that the residents give served their meals at the tables rather than navigating themselves. It is like being on vacation

I Didn't See Much During The Tour

I decided that this was not the place for me. I just didn't get the best kind of feeling about what I needed from the community. I saw only one person that lived there and that was all. The person I met with didn't seem as friendly and welcoming on the tour. She just showed me a room, the floors, and the dining room. No activities were going on just an empty building. I only liked the balcony. To improve have someone who is more friendly and outgoing and when an activity is happening.

Holiday Retirement

Thank you so much for taking the time to tour our community, and provide us your honest feedback after. We truly appreciate you coming out and sharing these thoughts with us. We are so sorry to hear the person you met with was not as friendly or welcoming on the tour as should have been, but would like to thank you for relaying this feedback. We hope you have a great rest of the day; of course, if anything changes, please do keep us mind!

Excellent facility- top of the list at this point!

A Great Community For My Mother

My mother is doing great here at this community. It is a good looking community. Everything is very well maintained, and nice and clean. The staff is wonderful.
There are activities offered for her when she is ready to participate. The meals are great, she loves the food. I know she is in good hands here, and being cared for well. This is a community I would recommend, it has worked out well for us.

Trusted, Great Value for my family

The restrooms needed tending and I was told they were having a hard time with staffing at the moment. I have not seen anything lately. Everyone is very friendly. The cost of living here is very comparable to the cost of living in a home/apartment so great value. I've had a few disconnects between managers related to the transportation but they are being worked out. There are lot's of activities but have not taken advantage of any yet.

A mostly positive experience for our family.

A very friendly staff. They all have been kind to my parents.
The food & times they eat have been the biggest hurdle for my father. But on the other hand a relief for my mother.

Having a hair stylist right around the corner for Mom is so nice as she used to drive 45 miles round trip to have her hair done.

It is so nice to know if myself & sibling are out of town we can depend on staff at the Marquette to look in on Mom & Dad.

They also will try to work out financially what you can afford.

Everything is Okay

Everything is going okay for me since my move to this community. I really like this community. Everyone is nice and friendly. The place looks great, very clean, and well-kept. I like the staff because they are very helpful and kind. I can't participate in many activities, but they do offer great activities for the residents. The food is good enough for me. I would recommend this community because it is really a nice place to be.

Good Value

Seems to be a nice place. When a request is made for maintenance, they seem to respond quickly. For example, during move in, we decided we needed one set of closet doors removed so we could use a chest of drawers in the closet space, and the maintenance person was there right away. The bathroom sink was leaking a bit of water onto the counter during use and that was fixed very quickly after it was reported. Cable TV is included, but when we moved in, we didn't know how to get it working and that was taken care of for us as soon as we reported it.

The food is good and there are plenty of options at meal times. Fresh fruit and other snacks are kept on hand for those who might want a snack between meals.

Residents are provided with clean sheets and towels and housekeeping comes into their apartments once per week to clean and change sheets and replace towels.

Compared to other places we looked at, the price seems very reasonable. The person that I helped to move in will be able to live there with all of his basic needs met without having to dip into his savings. He is using his social security and his pension to pay his monthly rent and meet his basic expenses (which are very few since all the necessary things such as food and utilities are already included).

The Hartman Family Thanks You

Mom fell in love with the Marquette, and her apartment is just beautiful! She's only been there for 2 days, and has already made friends that have alot in common with her. i can't thank the staff enough for all of their help, they are the best!!! The food is WONDERFUL, and they are VERY family orientated. Thank you so very much for being there, when we needed a place for Mom!

Holiday Retirement

Hi Valerie! I'm Katie, I work at Holiday Retirement Home Office. I'm glad your Mom is enjoying her first week Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to write such kind words about The Marquette. We love hearing stories about new residents who find happiness at our communities, so thank you again for taking the time to leave a kind review. - Katie

Very nice place!

We're very pleased with how things have turned out with The Marquette, it is a very nice place! It's a fairly new facility, and very well appointed in terms of the cleanliness and decor. The staff is accommodating and supportive, and they've been a big help throughout the whole process.

Holiday Retirement

Thank you so much for the kind words and sincere review! We love hearing positive feedback from our residents and their families. Thank you.

Holiday Retirement Home Office Communications

Five Stars

Their cleaning staff is much lighter than they say, they do not do a very good job. She has had to remind people to do things, but that's about it. There are not really too many complaints, they try to take care of everything.

the cleaning help is under par. Coomunication between patient and staff gets lost

Holiday Retirement

Hi, I'm Katie, I work at Holiday Retirement Home Office. Thank you for your sincere review - this gives us specific feedback to act on. I've sent your concerns, especially as they pertain to our housekeeping services, to our Resident Relations department for their review. - Katie

Not quite

Tastefully decorated and clean. Was portrayed as "0ne big family" . I don' t find that to be true at all. Supposedly, two ambassadors were available to help you get acquainted, but I had no idea who they were. Being new, I expected more of a welcome. They knew my move- in date, but some things were not done in the apartment.

The managers seemed to be stressed due to lack of help .
Not enough parking on many days.

I tried to join several card groups, but was discouraged .

Food was good and nicely prepared.

About a 3 rating overall.

Holiday Retirement

Hi, I'm Katie, I work at Holiday Retirement Home Office. Thank you so much for your sincere review. We want every new resident to feel welcome and wanted. I passed your concerns on to Tess, the head of our Resident Enrichment department, for her review.

Please know that you're welcome to call us here at Home Office as well at [removed] if you have anything else to add.

Thanks again,

The Marquette

The food has left a lot to desire. It seems to be true that the food portions are developed for the elderly female as my sister suggested. Last several days the scrambled eggs have arrived cold and I was one of the first to be served. The laundry is free but one of the two washers on my floor is broken and I've seen nothing regarding the repairs. The grounds are beautiful but, spending on residents is not where it should be. The chef needs to be sent back to chef school as there is very little originality. My air conditioner seems not to turn off except when I go to bed and turns on when I get up. People have been very friendly. The managers have been over worked and west coast management seems to want to micro manage the project.

Holiday Retirement

Hi, I'm Katie, I'm writing from Holiday's Home Office. I'm so very sorry to hear you're not enjoying your food options at The Marquette. I'm also sorry to hear maintenance has left something to be desired. I've escalated your feedback to our Resident Relations department for their review. Know that you're welcome to call them as well at [removed].

Sincerely,

very nice facility

The Marquette is a very nice facility. They have really nice quaint little dining rooms, very home like. It was a convenient location for us. I was impressed with what I saw, especially with their in house care staff.

Gorgeous property with many amenities. Management lives on site. Husband and wife Michael & Gabbi spent several hours with us and were extremely attentive and helpful. Residents we met loved living there. Property is beautiful, spacious common areas, lovely well kept grounds. They have raised beds for community gardening and back to a wetland area. Two professional care companies are on-site for medical and occupational needs of residents. Apartments are clean, bright, new, and fresh feeling. Upper floors include balconies. I was very impressed and so far The Marquette is my #1 choice for Dad.

Very nice community!

So far The Marquette has been wonderful! It is a lovely looking, clean facility, and you get a very nice sized room for the price. The staff are all very friendly, and my loved one seems very happy here! She's had such good things to say about that now we have another family member looking into it for their Mom as well!

Adequate living space a rea...

Adequate living space a real plus. Clean and spacious. Mealtime seems a little long and drawn out, which is okay for some, but not for others.

There is a little too much pressure to sign in one day. My friends were hesitant, but they got them to sign anyway. In less than two days they had changed their mind, they didn't want to move yet. Once they backed out, there was no getting their money back. I would think if the community knew an elderly couple was hesitant, and they knew that they wouldn't get their money back, maybe they would encourage them to think about it more and be sure. The apartments themselves are gorgeous. It's a nice place and we were excited about it, but that was really unfortunate. They were nice as could be initially, but then when we changed our mind things changed. I would say be really, really sure when you sign the paperwork that you are committed.

Holiday Retirement

This is good advice. We do want our residents to be sure about the decision they're making because it's a big one! But we're confident making the decision to join our family at The Marquette is a decision you won't regret. Also, we make it a point to treat everyone we encounter with the utmost care and respect -- whether you're a resident, loved one, or just stopping by -- so we're sorry you felt things changed. We hope you'll come back and give the Marquette another try.

Tough move made easier

The couple moving from their home of 50 years were very hesitant about making the decision. The staff at the Marquette offered multiple visits, meals and activities to help smooth the transition. Jeanne and Michelle were great!

Perfect for Dad. He has pla...

Perfect for Dad. He has placed a deposit for a room there and will move in

Very accommodating to family and guests

Overall they do a good job at this community. It's a nice looking facility, and the staff all seem very friendly and professional. The services they provide are good, and they always seem to have plenty of activities going on. I've had the chance to try the food a few times, and overall it's been good. They could use a bit more variety, they serve quite a lot of chicken dishes. I've been impressed with how accommodating they are with the families and guests of the resident, they really go out of their way to make working with them a pleasant experience.

Thank you for your feedback!

The Marquette staff and housing terrific

The Marquette does not feel like a nursing home or assisted living center because it truly is a retirement "home" first. Seniors can hire any level of care needed but you never see a medical cart or medical type of person in the halls. The building looks beautiful and inside it always smells fresh. The apartments are laid out more like apartments, not hospital rooms. My mom loved it right away after fighting a move away from her big, beautiful house for 3 years.

A large part of their success is not only this set up of a residence first, with assistance available; but the incredible staff. There are two couples who LIVE in the Marquette as on-site managers. These folks are caring, mature, sincere and extremely thoughtful of my mom's needs as well as our needs as the extended family who helps manage mom's care. The two women on the sales staff are fantastic as well. Michelle my salesperson, with help of the on-site managers couldn't have been more helpful and accommodating when we had to make a move within a day of touring.

We're grateful for the Marquette and my mom says everyday "I can't believe you found this place for me. It's perfect!"

Too independent

Too independent

Nice place expensive,

Nice place expensive,

Very close to us and would be very ni...

Very close to us and would be very nice IF she wanted to be in Michigan. She prefers Iowa.

Nestled on beautifully landscaped grounds next to a protected wetland, you’ll love the secluded elegance of our facilities and the convenience of the nearby community. We’re just minutes from malls, hospitals, dining and wonderful local attractions.

Our all-inclusive month-to-month rent covers:
- Three delicious and nutritious chef-prepared meals from scratch
- A variety of enriching activities
- Weekly housekeeping and linen service
- Transportation
- Most utilities

Friends in 300 places

Built with your comfort and safety in mind