Grandhaven Manor - Lansing, MI

It Was A Good Pick

My grandmother was enjoying the experience with the community. She liked the community and it was a good pick for her.

Grand Haven is a nice place to live I’ve been here since 2008. We have great maintenance. They are fantastic!! So are the office workers and [Removed] our [Removed]. Each one of them are so nice and friendly and last but nowhere mean least [Removed] our activities director. She is absolutely one of a kind plus she buys and takes for care of the grocery store, does the bulletin boards, drives the bus, place our parties among other things.

Been here for six years and love it. Best place in Lansing.

Great people.

I have been here 16 years and wouldn’t live anywhere else. It is a great place.

I live in a cottage – and am very satisfied.

Very good, clean.

Great celebration today.

You make it what you want. Participation in activities is appropriate.

I love it here. Staff are wonderful! Fun activities and conveniences.
The only reason I did not give a perfect score is because we do not have a generator for times we lose power. Many of us are not above to go elsewhere when we have no electricity – heat, oxygen generators, heat, electric wheelchairs and mobile phone need recharging to function, or we can be in a helpless situation.

All staff are great! They answer any questions and of course all the residents are friendly and most nice to be around – love the stars – bus to bank etc.
Our [Removed] is great!

The residents and staff are great!
Dining could be improved (it has somewhat improved)
Car parts drip a “paint like” liquid onto cars.
Would be wonderful to have ceiling fan in bedroom (not at my expense).
I appreciate all the activities offered.
The Grand Haven bus is too small and we can’t see out of windows.

Good Tour, but Confusing Layout

We had a nice tour of this community. The community looked nice, and clean. The staff we met was very kind, and informative. Our questions were answered. My only issue was the layout of the community. I felt it would be confusing for my mother. It was a good experience, and everyone was very kind to my family, and myself.

Wonderful Community

This is a wonderful community, and my father is doing great since his move here. I'am comfortable with his move here, it is a really nice place. Everything thing is working out very well, and they have a great staff at this community.

Very Nice Community, My Tour Was Nice

I had a lovely tour of this community. Everything looked nice and clean. I could tell they do a good job with the cleanliness. The staff I met was kind and informative. My questions were answered. It was a lovely experience, and this is a very nice place.

They Went Above And Beyond For Us

This is a lovely community, they really tried their best to care for my mother and her needs. My mother does need more care than they are able to provide. They have a great staff, they are very friendly and helpful. There are nice activities available for the residents. The community looks great, everything is very well-kept. They really with above and beyond for her. We really apprenticed everything they did for us.

After several telephone conversations Taylor Morgan, who was our tour guide, an application has been filled out and are on a waiting list. Very impressed with this facility, staff and residents. Residents were very friendly, out going. The facility was very clean, well kept both inside and the grounds were beautiful. Colorful accents, warm woods accents. Staff very welcoming. There happened to be a special luncheon taking place for the Volunteers the day we toured and the food smelled wonderful and very flavorful, it made me hungry. I saw my mother start to "blossom" and she is actually looking forward to moving. She's even choosing what furniture she will take from home and what she'll need to buy. We're hoping an apartment becomes available soon.

I have lived here for 14 years now, and I enjoy it as much as ever. The fun parties, breakfast and lunch outings, etc. Also the staff is very friendly and helpful. Maintenance jobs get done quickly and the place is always clean. I give welcome to your new home cards to the new people and always tell them I hope you will enjoy living here as much as I have. Thank you Grandhaven Manner for your good service, friendliness and for meeting basic needs like transportation to stores and bank runs.

I am very familiar with Grand Haven. A beautiful place but not sure it will work with the progression of Mom's dementia.

Good but not great

The facilities are kept in excellent condition. The staff are friendly but are quick to cut off services if payment is not made right on time. Their attitude at times can be curt and abrupt. Otherwise the facility provides a good place to stay though a bit on the pricey side.

Grandhaven Review

Grandhaven maintains a very neat and clean environment. When my parent moved in, the apartment was in very good condition. They also just replaced the carpeting in the common areas. The landscape is well cared for and the side walks are maintained to make it easy to walk them. Activities are offered in house and out in the community. There is a van available for the activities and for running errands like shopping or banking. My parent still drives a car but likes the idea that in the winter, there is a van transport. Monthly there is a calendar showing the different activities and daily reminders are sent to residents for events the next day. There is a dinner meal made available for an additional charge and is optional for residents. A monthly calendar is also sent out with the menu of meals. Some of the community activities also include breakfast or lunch meals. There are some volunteer opportunities and a lobby area where residents can meet, get to know each other and sign up for activities. It has been a month and one half since my family member moved and they say they are glad they made the decision to move to Grandhaven. Above are some of the reasons why.

Great Community

Everything went fairly smoothly. I'd say there were just a couple of minor hiccups in terms of understanding the costs, there were some that were slightly off from what was communicated in the beginning. The storage is a little small too. But it seems like a great place; great community and friendly staff and everyone is willing to help out.

Friendly, helpful staff

Our experience with Grandhaven Manor has been a very good one overall! The young woman who gave us our tour was very helpful and knowledgeable, and had a ready answer for any questions we had! The facility itself is clean and well kept, and my loved one really seems to be enjoying himself here!

Excellent independent living community!

They're doing a great job so far at Grandhaven Manor! The tour was very informative, and I was glad to see they actually deliver on all of the things that they promise! They have a great varieties of amenities and activities, it's like living in an assisted care facility without actually being assisted care!

Very nice place to live, the staff is...

Very nice place to live, the staff is friendly and helpful. Lots of activities offered, bus for transportation and a health care company if additional needs arise.

I love Grandhaven Manor. I have my pr...

I love Grandhaven Manor. I have my privacy but I can get out and play. Lots of activies.

Good fit. Only downside was...

Good fit. Only downside was location. Too far from other family.

Very clean, nice looking place

Overall I think they do a very good job at this community. The facility itself is nice looking, and they really do a good job of staying on top of the upkeep and cleanliness. I've been very impressed so far.

Highly professional. Well m...

Highly professional. Well maintained grounds/building. Friendly/concerned staff, prepared/welcoming. Caring and friendly; rapport with r residents.Nice setting.$$

i really liked th...

i really liked the grounds and peaceful setting.

We have visited, liked and ...

We have visited, liked and signed up for move-in August, 2014.

Very nice - but if Mom could live her...

Very nice - but if Mom could live here I think she would be just as well off at home. Although they do offer organized activities and transport to the grocery store, etc. Might be useful depending.

I am interested in the cottages. Hav...

I am interested in the cottages. Have asked if they have a waiting list.

went on a tour today, it is within pr...

went on a tour today, it is within price range for Mom & I if we were to live together- need to really process if I really want to do this, also let Mom visit the complex with no pressure. the cottage/2-bedroom apartment is the choice & it would be hard!!

Clean and modern feeling. I liked th...

Clean and modern feeling. I liked the variety of activities offered.

Grandhaven Manor is an elegant retirement community designed exclusively for those of you 55 and older. As a Resident of Grandhaven Manor you will live in grand style in a lovely one or two bedroom apartment or one of our beautiful cottages with attached garages. We know that you will love the many advantages that Grandhaven Manor has to offer as well as our many features, services and amenities.

Residents of Grandhaven Manor and their visitors have a wealth of places to visit and things to do in Lansing. Not only is the city of 116,020 residents the state capital, but a city of vibrant neighborhoods each of which has its own character. And it's a rather cosmopolitan character where you may hear any one of 63 languages spoken by residents drawn here by Michigan State University in nearby East Lansing, or start-up or entrepreneurial opportunities in the Lansing Regional Smart Zone. As one might expect, it offers cultural venues, historical sites, and unique eateries.

City Info

The median age, as of 2016, was 31.4 years of age, with those over 62 comprising 11.4% of the population. Seniors considering making Lansing their new home will find the following information useful:

- The area offers a wide spectrum of senior living and retirement communities including 55-and-over apartment complexes, independent living developments, assisted living and memory care facilities, and skilled nursing homes. Eleven of these are located in the Lansing metro area.

- Although Lansing is a car-dependent city with most errands requiring a car, walkable neighborhoods include Old Town, Old Forest, and the Stadium District, earning it an overall walk-ability score of 45. Those who like biking fare a bit better since its bike score is 52.

- Since Michigan is a state known for snow, it's not surprising that the average annual snowfall is 51 inches. Average annual rainfall amounts to 31.7 inches. As for temperatures, although the average annual high is 57.3 degrees, and the annual average low is 39.1, it's more telling that the average January low is 17 and the average July high is 82.

Transportation

For a city its size, Lansing offers an impressive list of transportation choices. In fact, the American Public Transportation Association (APTA) named the Capital Area Transportation Authority (CATA) North America's best transportation system in 2007. Options include:
- Buses: 20 convenient CATA bus routes around the city
- Trolley:Entertainment Express, offering connections between downtown Lansing and East Lansing's entertainment district
- Cabs
- Limos

For out-of-town visits,
- Capital City Airport offers direct flights to many cities including Orlando, Atlanta, and Washington D.C.
- Amtrak train routes

Health and Safety

As might be expected for the capital of a state known for its colleges and universities, the automotive industry, and a flourishing entrepreneurial spirit, Lansing residents have access to state-of-the-art health-care facilities including:
- Sparrow Health System, a level 1 trauma center
- McLaren Regional Medical Center
- Specialty and primary care services available to the public at the Michigan State University (MSU) Schools of Human Medicine, Osteopathic Medicine, and Nursing
- Great Lakes Cancer Institute, a joint venture of MSU and McLaren

As for safety, while Lansing scores high in other measures of livability, it also scores high in crime rates with both the violent crime and property crime rates in 2016 scoring higher than the national averages. The following number represents the number of individual crimes per 100,000 individuals.
- Property crimes in Lansing: 293.7
- Nationwide property crimes: 216.6
- Violent crimes in Lansing: 655.4
- Nationwide violent crimes: 216

Sports and Leisure

Lansing offers sports and leisure opportunities for those interested in participating as well as observing.

- River Trail: an eight-mile route extending from Old Town Lansing southwards to and through the MSU campus offers runners and walkers daily exercise.
- MSU Sports events: MSU, 4.9 miles away in East Lansing means residents of Lansing have access to tickets not only to Spartan football and basketball games but also track, field hockey, ice hockey, soccer. volleyball, golf, and tennis
- Harris Nature Center: five miles of nature trails and a 0.75-mile paved loop.
- Golf Courses to accommodate all golfing skills
- Northern Trail Dog Park: two acres of fenced-in parkland for off-leash walks for dog-owners and their best friends.

Shopping and Entertainment

Whether its a shopping venture or a night of entertainment, Lansing is right up there with big cities in its offerings.

Shopping

- Malls: Eastwood Towne Center, Lansing Mall, Meridian Mall
- Antiques and vintage: Mega Mall
- Farmers markets
- Vineyards, wineries, and cider mills

Entertainment

- Wharton Center for Performing Arts: an arts venue with four unique stages for classical music, dance, and Broadway shows.
- Music Festivals such as the Lansing Jazz Festival, Great Lakes Folk Festival, and Michigan Bluesfest
- Cinema Lansing and IMAX

Religious Facilities

With the many nationalities and cultures that call Lansing Michigan home, it's not surprising that the area offers 216 houses of worship.