Recommended Tour!!

There is resident parking available in the community. Outdoor and indoor activities are offered as well. I felt everyone was really friendly with me when i took my tour. The tour guide was very knowledgeable and gave me a lot of information about their services. I felt great about everything i got to see the rooms and the whole place were clean.

Small rooms/Independent living

Great for someone who needs assisted living, with meals provided in one small place. My Mother needed more care because she is blind. This was still an independent apartment. Great for someone living alone, very small.

So far we are happy.

So far we are happy. There isn't anything at this time that is an immediate concern. There are plenty of activities going on. For the most part everyone is very friendly, the woman at the front desk, isn't great with new people though. They are pretty quick to respond to needs or issues. I don't feel like I am being charged for things I don't use, but value can be hard to judge because all of the communities are very expensive.

Understaffed and Untruthful

My mother suffers from severe arthritis and mild dementia. She had lived in an Assisted Living community quite far from me. Because I live in Evanston, I wanted to relocate my mother to a facility closer to me. However, I thought she was no longer a candidate for assisted living; however, the facilities associated with the Presbyterian Homes assured me she was a candidate. She was interviewed extensively by the Presbyterian Homes. I was very honest about my mother's condition and needs. The King Home actively recruited my mother, and even though I expressed severe reservations about her coming to the community, I was reassured that they had residents with extensive needs like my mother and that they weren't in the dining room at the time of my mother's visit. When I expressed concern about the CNA/resident ratio (at the time of recruitment, they told me there was one CNA per floor), the tole me not to worry, they would hire more staff if necessary. I quickly learned during the first few days after my mom moved in that The King Home has one CNA and one nurse on staff day and night----for 50+ residents! The care plane the King Home put in place with for my mom is seldom if ever followed---my mother is supposed to get assistance with dressing and undressing. However, she often has to dress herself. In order for my mother to get the care she needs, I have had to come by the King Home daily. And if responsibilities at my job prevent me from going one day, I worry about her constantly. Within the first week, the night nurses were complaining to me about their workload and shortage of staff! And those complaining nurses told me the board has no intention of hiring any more CNAs. Within the last month, the King Home has accepted three more residents with high-level needs; those residents' children are at the King Home assisting their parents daily. The monthly rate for such "stellar" care is $7,200. I am in the process of relocating my mother to a Skilled Nursing unit. (I won't even consider a Skilled Nursing unit run by the Presbyterian Homes!) I have to relocate my mother the second time within 4 months!

West of Downtwn Evanston...worth a lo...

West of Downtwn Evanston...worth a look..who knows maybe Mum will start playing pool with the boys

The Highlands at King Home is a charming, not-for-profit, faith-based assisted living residence located on a beautiful tree-lined street just minutes from downtown Evanston. Our comprehensive approach to wellness allows you to continue to enjoy life to the fullest while receiving the assistance you need. Our friendly community offers gracious private apartments, a warm, homelike atmosphere and an active lifestyle for residents. We plan a full schedule of events and activities and provide opportunities for residents to enjoy group discussions and lectures, concerts and more!

Located in a quiet residential neighborhood in Evanston; residents
enjoy private one-bedroom suites with full baths. They are 'little but
lovely' apartments. There is, a well-appointed dining room that serves
three home cooked meals a day; comfortable rooms for cards, discussions
and billiards; services include daily housekeeping and linen service;
there are even free haircuts at our very own barbershop! In addition
there is a full program of activities and social events which promote a
strong sense of community among the gentlemen here and are chosen to
reflect the interests of the residents.

Many of our active residents still drive and some are active in the community, working and volunteering at various locations. This opportunity for independent
living or sheltered care is also enhanced by the security of knowing
that medical and nursing assistance along with health care are available
without leaving the building in case of need. Our nursing department can
assist with medications if necessary. And, our security desk follows up
on residents who are not in the Dining Room at mealtimes. Residents are
free to come and go, to spend time in the privacy of their own
apartments or to join in any of the scheduled activities.

Founded in 1904, Presbyterian Homes is a not-for-profit, faith based organization with a national reputation for creating extraordinary retirement communities. Presbyterian Homes serves older adults through its residential and healthcare programs on campuses in Evanston, Lake Forest and Arlington Heights, Illinois. The organization is accredited by CARF-CCAC (Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities-Continuing Care Accreditation Commission), the nation’s only accrediting body for retirement communities.