The Huntington @ The Newport - Newport News, VA

Good place to live

The meals are usually not very good. Access to the Assisted Living section is only open Mon. - Fri. 9 to 5. Needs to be open on weekends. Hard to take family members out and hard to bring in items to residents when these doors are locked. The closest entrance is too far away and too far to walk. Rooms need to be dusted more often and more thoroughly. Staff and activities are excellent.

There are complaints about the meals

There are complaints about the meals being pasty or being served the same thing multiple times in a week. There are enough activities and the staff are friendly. The residents are all pretty friendly and welcoming. There have been medication concerns. They keep it pretty clean and well maintained, the one maintenance issue we had took about a week and a half, but they fixed it. She chose this place because she liked the size of the facility, and the physical plans itself. However, they were more expensive than some of the other places in the area.

Strong and weak points about The Huntington

I moved my mother in April of 2015, and I am quite pleased with the facilities, staff, and overall living experience there. After her becoming acclimated to the food, mother also seems to enjoy dining there.

My only complaint at this time is that we, the family of the resident, should have some sort of card key for entry into the Huntington, vs having to walk all the way to the Newport (where there is minimal parking) to gain entry. My wife and I are both handicapped, and this tends to be a long, unnecessary walk for both of us. Also, when we take mother out for the day and come back after 5, or on weekends, we are expected to not only walk that long walk ourselves, but also subject mother to that long walk.