The Crossings at Harbour View - Suffolk, VA

Not what we were expecting

Over the phone and in the initial sales appointment the sales folks described a wonderful community that was lots of fun and warm, when I visited with my Mother to tour the property it was not at all what they said. The public restroom was filthy and the toilet was clogged. It was dark in the dinner areas. There were no people enjoying the games we were told about. It was very quiet and felt cold. The sales person who was speaking with us seemed more concerned about rent amounts and how we planned to pay then actually showing us the rooms. We didn’t like it very much at all. We encountered one person who lives there on our way out and asked them if they enjoyed it there? He said initially but now they wished they had never moved there. They said they cared about one thing most. Their money and a budget? Needless to say searching for a place was quite exhausting. And I had wished we had more accurate reviews when we were searching online. That’s why i am taking the time to review all of the places we visited. So obviously we did not choose the Crossings at harbor view. It was last on our score card. We did find a great place however after two weekends and six visits. Good luck to all searching for a decent place.

Renter Beware

Too expensive and other residents I have spoken with felt on several of the amenities became in their words a
Bait and switch or bait and get nothing in return.

My mother was in independent living and had a stroke. She was in rehab for 2 and a half months. We checked into getting her back to the Crossings in assisted living. They assessed her condition over the phone and never came to check her in person. After 2 weeks they decided she was too much to handle and said she had to leave. This could have been avoided if they had assessed her properly and not allowed her to come back so soon. Mom loves this place but now we have to move a 85 year old lady again because they did not do their job properly. Independent living was fine but I would think twice before you put anyone in assisted living at the crossings at harbor view.

I toured this community

I went on a tour here and it was OK. The lighting was really bad and it made it feel the coldness. The furnishing is sparing and just not a homey feeling. I just saw all the residents lined up to get their medicine. I didn't like that. I recommend families tour as many places as they can before they make a choice.

Too expensive for their present needs. They didn't want any meals.

Compassionate staff!

The cleanliness at The Crossings is very good. I think they could do a better job encouraging my mom to join in the activities. They gave a schedule but she has mobility issues and no one offers to assist in getting to the activities. Everyone seems very friendly here and it seems that most of the staff is there because they care and it isn't just a job to them.

Wish I had moved my love one to my other choice

Everything is great while your loved one is able to move around and pretty much do most things on their own. Our experience was mostly good at that point, although some things we were told before they opened were not the same once my loved one moved in. But when they have issues that make them need more care that experience deteriorates. And the price goes up.

The staff is extremely friendly and helpful

We are very pleased with The Crossings at Harbour View. She settling in and getting into the activities. We've had dinner there several times and the food is fine. All in all it is a beautiful facility. It is very well appointed. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. There are activities for everyone's needs. They really try to have a variety for everyone. I am very pleased overall.