Happiness Villa

What a pleasurable experience it has been, living at The Firs. Friendly, helpful staff go out of their way to meet our needs and life is so much easier and more pleasant without the burden of home ownership, meal preparation and housekeeping. What a blessing it has been to have this wonderful place available for my husband and me in our "golden years". We plan to live out our years here -- happily.

Recommendation of The Firs... To Anyone

The entire staff at The Firs are compassionate and caring and they go out of their way to make sure all the residents are safe and well taken care of.

In addition to the full time staff, the high school kids that work in the dining room are amazingly compassionate, polite, respectful and hard working.

The facility itself is always clean and quiet and there is always an opportunity for social interaction in-house or during one of their off-premises events. The building is a contemporary Northwest design and very warm and comfortable as well.

Thank you for taking such good care of my mom.

Youth are great addition to dining experience

We had lunch with mom yesterday at the Firs. The young and bright servers are a highlight to the Firs community. I want to mention [Removed] as a sweet young lady who called Mom by name, smiled cheerfully and gave us all great attention.

Brunch and tour

I attended the Signature Brunch on September 23 with a friend for the purpose of a guided tour. The young lady who served our drinks and desserts was pleasant and well mannered. She checked back with us a couple of time to see we were satisfied. I wish I would have paid attention to her name.
The tour with [Removed] was outstanding. Great personality and pleasant in her greeting to residents we passed during the tour. Beautiful home for Seniors who are able to afford that life style...

MBK Senior Living Home Office Representative

Thank you for your kind words and glowing review of The Firs. We're pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Signature Brunch and the service and tour was outstanding. As part of our company purpose, we strive to exceed the quality, service and care expectations of those we serve. Thank you for sharing your experience.

WE are delighted with our mom's community

This has been a wonderful move for my mother, she really likes her 1 bedroom apt and the staff here are over the top in how well they care for their residents. My mom has gotten envolved in the activies and the field trips and enjoying all of it. It is nice seeing her socializing again. And she is so happy that there is also a church service here on Sundays.

MBK Senior Living Home Office Representative

How wonderful to hear! We're so please it's been such a positive move for your mother and that she's feeling at home, cared for, engaged and happy at The Firs.

No complaints!!

I have not talked to my mother too much since she has made the move into this community but as far as I know she has been happy. The staff where very friendly throughout our tour and made sure to answer any questions we had for them in detail. I thought the property was clean and they had a lot of great amenities available to all of the residents.

MBK Senior Living Home Office Representative

Thank you for sharing your experience. We're pleased to hear that your mother is happy and feeling at home at our community. We appreciate your kind words and positive review.

Good presentation. Would definitely like to move to this site. But later when I would need the full range of their services. Lovely facilities.

MBK Senior Living Home Office Representative

Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your kind words about The Firs.

Friendly tour guide!

The Firs was a beautiful community with nice amenities. The problem was that it was priced way higher than I could afford. I have a certain income for the year and I can not afford to spend it all on an apartment, but the community was very nice, I recommend it to anyone who can afford it.

MBK Senior Living Home Office Representative

Thank you for your kind words about The Firs and recommendation.

The Firs, Olympia, WA

I began a mail and online conversation with The Firs when I still lived in California. I was on their mailing list, also. About 3 years later I moved to Olympia to a temporary residence to allow myself time to look around. I did look around. I chose The Firs. My senior residence in Sacramento was superior, and I consider The Firs to be superior.... in all respects. Residents are such happy people.... noticeable on every visit. Staff are accommodating and professional. Dining room wait staff are local high school and college students.....I want to adopt every one of them! I cannot imagine anyone not liking The Firs. We all have different lifestyles and expectations. I believe The Firs can accommodate all without much difficulty.

MBK Senior Living Home Office Representative

How wonderful to hear! We’re grateful that The Firs has so exceptionally met your individual needs and expectations. We appreciate your kind words about our staff and the accommodations. It is our pursuit as a senior living provider, to be the top choice in each of the markets we serve. Thank you for choosing The Firs; we truly are happy to be of service to you.

My faters's care

My father is doing well here. The community is under remodeling. The staff is outstanding. Marilyn was outstanding. The food is excellent. They have alot of great activities. I would recommend this community for good care to others.

A Place for Dad

My father has been at The Firs for 1 week. His first day he was welcomed by a couple of residents that showed him around and took him to dinner and introduced him to other residents. The staff has been very helpful. I'm having problems getting his phone service, but I think the issue is the phone company. Be sure to setup an account with Comcast so your loved one has tv. I misunderstood that an account needed to be setup in my father's name so he didn't have tv the first night. So far it has been great. I'm so thankful that I found A Place for Mom, I didn't know how to find a place for my father.

Good Community With A Wonderful Staff

So far everything has worked out pretty well for my father here at this community. They have a wonderful staff. There are activities offered for him when he is ready to participate. The meals are okay, we expected more in the food quality and serving. Overall he is receiving good care. This would be a community I would recommend.

I Enjoy This Community

I'am enjoying my time here at this community. Everything is working out very well. They do a very good with keeping everything well maintained and nice and clean. The staff is kind, they are always willing to help. There are awesome activities for my to try. The food is fair, but I'am a vegan, and they don't really accommodate my diet.They are treating my fine and I would recommend it.

Nice Folks; Terrible Food

My mother was charmed by the friendliness of the residents and staff at The Firs. It may have blinded her to some of its shortcomings, but I hope she will be happy there for some period of time. I fear that she will need more care in the future, and we will have to arrange to have outside help come in to provide it.

She thinks the food is terrible, and that is very disappointing. One of the main things I looked forward to with this move was her getting better nutrition and not needing to cook herself (for safety reasons, among others), but she often does not eat the food provided because it is too rich and/or unpalatable. I would recommend that they update their cuisine to reflect current nutritional and health science. I know it is more time intensive to prepare fresh food, but it is so important for good health. She is losing weight since living there. . . .

Active senior community

The Firs is a very nice and active place with wonderful staff to live.

Responsive management, great staff

I have a relative here and wrote a review which I would like to update. The new management has done a very good job making improvements that make The Firs a much better place to live than a couple of years ago. Activities have been created that are fun, stimulating and let some be built upon feedback of residents and families. There are more options and events that just brings people out of their apartments to socialize and laugh. Residents are bringing their expertise to share knowledge and keep the active minds learning. The food has improved with a big effort to incorporate fresh food and new recipes that are not prepackaged into menus. Repairs and maintenance is done quickly. When my relative was ill the staff and management was exceptional doing whatever they could to help her, and to support me.

The Firs is set in a pretty location with lots of trees. The apartments are decent sized and there are lots of activities planned. The Firs is definitely for people who can live independently without help. If a person happens to fall, the employees can only call 911.

The Firs

The facility is warm and welcoming along with the staff. The apartments are very comfortable.

This place over promotes itself and puffs excessively about attributes it does not have. This seems to be 'normal' for this type of living facility but it is infuriating to realize your loved one has been misled and lied to.

The marketing people have let in people who really need assisted living or memory care. This takes away from my loved ones health who looked forward to a stimulating environment. They also do respite care.

Building, grounds are nice, generally quite clean with pretty native landscaping.. Units are OK but be careful about the marketing pressure and misstatements.

No A/C in units. Residents not allowed to have open doors to benefit from A/C during long heat waves in 2015. No obvious attempt to have cooling activities or plan if power went out. Temps in my relative's apartment have exceeded 90 degrees.

Management has been a huge problem, lots of turnover, unqualified staff in part because WA laws are too lax on this type of facility. There have been several firings of long term much trusted and beloved staff based upon bias of a one or two employees. There is a new manager, the third in three years, who appears to be making changes but people are uncomfortable fearing she will leave too.

Too many staff do not understand the psychological needs of a geriatric population. This has a huge impact on quality of life. Nor the physical needs - for example, new cutlery just arrived. It is heavy and big and difficult for especially women to handle. One maintenance person shampooed carpets with excessive soap then didn't suction properly. My feet actually burned from chemicals. This shouldn't happen but glad it did when I was here for it might not have been corrected.

Most of the quite limited activities are result of residents - yoga is taught by a resident, without her there would be no yoga. Discussion group was destroyed by a new uneducated staff member who did the talking, topic selection, when the residents had a strong group running on there own. Too bad as this provided the intellectual stimulation this place claims to promote.

Dinner starts at 4pm, much too early for people to spend afternoons away. The place is like a mausoleum by about 630pm. It's done to hire inexpensive, but trained high school students as servers (who do a good job).

The food comes off a truck, pre-packaged, full of preservatives. Lots of additives including MSG. Very little fresh food. There IS NOT A CHEF ON STAFF, probably never has been. Some residents have actually gone into the kitchen to teach cooks how to do job. They have just hired a new head cook who seems to have plans for more fresh food. This is positive.

I have hopes that new management will improve this place. It certainly isn't what is advertised on the website or promoted by some marketers. That said there are some lovely residents. Too bad there generation doesn't speak up about concerns but it's so against their generation to complain up (they talk to each other). While these are my views everything in this has been said by numerous residents.

Note the picture does not reflect the reality of the units that are beige on beige on pale yellow unless changed at owners expense.

So far it's wonderful. He is really loving it.

So far it's wonderful. He is really loving it. It's immaculate, and the food is wonderful. The people are friendly. It's a very nice place. I also liked the location. It's more convenient to get to the doctors.

A great place that is perfect for mom

It's a great place that's perfect for mom. She loves it. The value is excellent and everyone is very nice. The Firs is an excellent place. I would recommend it.

The place to spend the fun years!!

Today I had a tour of The Firs, a retirement community for those 55+. I was thoroughly amazed at what I saw. Happy people in groups watching a movie, gathered over Root Beer Floats, in the Library, using the gym and on it goes. There is something for everyone including all meals and activities which take off weekly for parts of beauty here in the Pacific Northwest. When I get to this part of my life, I too would like to join in all the fun!! The staff is what makes it so much fun....From the executive director and sales/marketing sfaff to all who work in the kitchen and housekeeping there are miles of smiles and they know every ones' name and greet them as if they are family.

All Around Good Experience

I just finished a yearlong search with my mother for a retirement community in the Olympia area. After researching numerous area options she selected the Firs and has been very pleased with her choice. Before and after selecting the Firs and continuing after she moved into her apartment the entire staff from the executive director to the dining staff have been genuinely friendly, helpful and professional.

The food was fresh, appeared to be made from scratch and exceeded our expectations. The staff has been and continues to be very responsive to all the items normally associated with moving. We are very happy with our choice!

A great option to consider

As an advocate for the elderly and their search for an appropriate setting, I've had some exceptionally good experiences with The Firs over the last 24 months.

The staff is friendly, welcoming, and sincerely works to provide all information and services that are within their scope. Their follow through is very good.

Although all is kept very clean and well-cared for, the facility is not sitting on its laurels. They are currently remodeling and upgrading all of the apartments, and they look gorgeous.

Services and activities are continuing to be upgraded and staff are encouraging input from residents and following through on those suggestions. I hear very good reports from my clients about the quality of food served at lunch and dinner too.

Price is very fair. Specials are always worth checking out, and I always like to have my senior clients compare prices to get the best option available...while remembering all that is included.

While it is not licensed to provide assisted living, residents needing light assistance can easily have home health services brought in. This works very well for many active seniors.

Seemed Okay

I have visited The Firs, not in their apartment, but I've seen the place. They're pretty much in the wooded area. I don't know how much sunlight they get there. It seemed like there were probably a little bit more activities there than other places I saw.

Robin Craig

We appreciate your taking the time to comment on your visit to The Firs. Thank you for recognizing our thriving community with high scores. We certainly do have a very engaged and active group of residents. Our dining room has full length windows which allow all the natural light in for us to enjoy. We hope you will come back and tour our newly renovated apartments. Our residents love to gaze out their apartment windows through the foliage. Some comment it feels like living in a tree house. Thanks again and see you soon!
~Venise Taffe, Executive Director of The Firs

Was very impressed with the...

Was very impressed with the grounds, the staff, and the building. The residents were treated warmly, were clean, appeared happy, and in one case I asked a resident how she liked it there. She said she loves it there. It wasn't for us simply because we need a place that can provide more medical care, but as a senior or retirement center, it is very impressive.

Pets allowed first floor. Doesn't se...

Pets allowed first floor. Doesn't seem that pet friendly. Like one bedroom deluxe has W/D. Invited to stay overnight.

Select apartments from $1,995* per month.

The Firs is an ideal community for active seniors on the go located in the Washington state capital. Our stunning location sits right on the edge of a beautiful forest and borders the Chehalis-Western Trail yet within minutes of St. Peter’s Hospital. We are located close to the Farmers Market, the unique shopping in Olympia, the waterfront restaurants, the WA Performing Arts Center and within an hour from the beautiful Washington coastline and the rugged landscape and wildlife on the Olympic Peninsula Our seniors have the opportunity to enjoy their retirement years without the hassle of dealing with home maintenance or winter driving! Join a yoga class, a bridge club, a live music concert or take a course in our seminars. We offer studios, alcoves & one & two bedroom floor plans with decks, patios & full kitchens and plenty of closet space. The Firs is part of MBK Senior Living, a company dedicated to exceeding expectations in the amenities and services we provide. This means we strive to enhance our residents’ lives, enabling them to enjoy senior living as much as possible!

*Limited time on select apartments only.