Patriots Landing - DuPont, WA

Very nice upscale place. Just like a hotel, only better. Mostly military and dependents, but not exclusive. Very active people wonderful amenities. We felt welcome. We could fine ourselves living comfortable here.

Patriots Landing offers a lot

Patriots Landing is a great place to live. The building is bright and clean and the staff friendly and helpful. There are lots of activities if you want to keep busy and a library or your own apartment if you prefer some quiet time. And there are plenty of amenities to suit different interests. There are individual garden spaces for those who love to garden, a putting green and my personal favorite, a swimming pool. There are exercise classes and craft classes as well as monthly birthday parties.

There are two dining rooms and by the way, the food is really good. The service staff in the dining rooms is wonderful. They are friendly and very compassionate. I have witnessed them helping elderly residents with patience and love when they have difficulty expressing what they want, even interpreting mimed words when the resident doesn't have the words to express what they want.

The main building has studio as well as one and two-bedroom apartments. I rent a studio apartment and I'm very happy there along with my two cats. I have a weekly housekeeping service that cleans the apartment, changes the bed and washes the linen and towels. If your own house is preferable, there are individual houses surrounding the main building.

This is a good place to live and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. Dupont is a great little town and Lacey and Olympia are nearby. I think if you came to visit you would find much to like.

$$$$$$

They do not care about the patient or family. It’s a money making machine. There memory care unit can not handle a wanderer from what they told me. I now have to get someone to watch my grandmother. Sorry we do not have $10,000 a month

Great Community

My loved one used to live at Patriot's Landing, and it is a great community. I feel that they have a good ratio between residents and staff members, so everyone is able to get the attention they need. The food is good, and they also offer a lot of activities. This is an excellent community, and I would recommend it to others.

Higher End Property

This community was nice but I felt it was on the higher end than what we were looking for. As we were walking around and listening and observing the residents I got the feeling that most of them were somehow connected to the military whether they were retired from a branch or the service or what not. I just got the feeling that the overall residents would not have been a good match for my mom. However, the community itself was clean and the staff was friendly and helpful.

Memory Care: BEWARE

BEWARE of Memory Care at Patriots Landing. The facilities are beautiful and the food is good, but most of the Memory Care employees are NOT intellectually capable of taking care of dementia patients.
I was repeatedly lied to about my father's health and well-being while he was living at Patriots Landing. He was not given one of his medications for THREE MONTHS and the explanation that was given for the missing medication was that the medication was "lost." Patriots Landing REPEATEDLY "dropped the ball" with my father, yet REFUSED to take any responsibility for having done so.
Patriots Landing did not REALLY care about my father (or his family) -- just his MONEY.
I moved my father to the VA at American Lake and I'm SO glad I did. The care my father received at the VA was EXCELLENT compared to what he received at Patriots Landing.

Patriots Landing
DuPont, WA

Both of them like Patriots Landing a lot. Dad was actually more positive than mom but both were very impressed. Dad went from 5-10 years before he’d consider moving (new location 6 feet under) to 1-3 years. Change is really hard for anyone, so I see this as going in the right direction. At least now he is not negative about the place but rather just the change.

We started out with a complimentary lunch in the dining room and were given breakfast, lunch & dinner menus to choose from. Same is true for everyone-anything from any menu 7[removed] Fish-n-chips, fried liver, Belgian waffles, burgers, filet mignon...menus vary from casual to upscale. Folks loved the meal & service.

Staff knew the residents around us by name, were very friendly & prompt, and there were plenty of them. I timed it when a waiter said he'd call for a residents' escort back to her room: 1 min 30sec before she arrived with a smile & greeted the lady by name.

We toured: the gym (not a lot of equipment), pool, victory gardens (small raised plots-no bending to [removed] for each resident who wants one, library/reading room, large activities room and 2 bedroom apartment all inside the main complex. No weird smells and everything is clean.
Then got in extended golf cart to see a 2 bedroom "bungalow". One happened to be empty. It was larger of 2 styles- bout 1650- 1700 square ft but that includes the garage. They liked the house the best.
I will forward the floor plans & pricing list also. Similar to what they have now but smaller. There are also some others (25 houses in all, some detached, some duplexes) that back up to the woods with a back porch very much like their house now. Kinda amazing how similar they looked. Even have deer wandering around.
The facility owns 27 acres around them so no adjacent building/development going to happen.
Negative comment:
Mom - Isolated from any other community. At same time - liked that no one can develop on top of them because they're on 27 acres.
Mom mentioned how difficult it would be to part with some of her furniture and stuff but that will be true no matter where they go.
Houses are for Independent living only but do include maintenance of inside& grounds/yards, 1 meal a day, all facilities in main complex, utilities, TV & weekly house cleaning & linen change and transportation to medical appointments.

Main complex has Independent, Assisted and Memory Care on site. Assisted is al a carte and they gave us a list of those services and costs per mo. added to rent. Thought I had it, but looks like it got into mom's packet. I'll make a copy next time I go over - Probably this weekend to celebrate their 10-year AA anniversary.

They have a waiting list. Some people on it want to move in 3-9 months, 1 yr, or 5 yrs. She said the lists vary depending on which housing you request, but if you need to get in before your particular unit type is ready and you’ve already paid the 4k, they can move you into something else until your 1st choice is available and then you are next in line as in-house resident. She said it very rarely happens that someone who wants in can’t get a place at all.

Wait list &/ registration cost are same $4000 and once paid it locks in at that rate no matter when you choose to move in. When folks come up on wait list for the type of place they stipulate Patriots Landing (PL) calls. If you aren't ready, they just move to next person. Folks DO NOT lose place at top of list and have 1st right of refusal every time the property choices become available...after in house residents that is. If at any time they decide they don't want to go there, PL refunds the entire $4000.

BONUS: Patriots Landing offers a 2-day expenses paid stay at their facility to enable future residents to be sure they like the atmosphere and can connect to the other residents. Very cool. More men than women here which is unusual and 85% are retired military. About 250 residents in 170 apartments/houses.

[Removed], the Director of Marketing, was friendly, personable and not pushy. She won’t call or bug us or mom & dad, but rather wait to hear from us. On a side note – her son-in-law is the poster boy for Wounded Warrior, [Removed].

Seems there’s no good reason not to pay the 4k to get on the wait list soon and mom and dad agreed. We agreed that we should look at a couple more places - Something in Gig Harbor and perhaps Silverdale area. Mom likes the idea of those locations because they can keep their doctors (Dad’s skin guy Rasmussen sp? &mom’s hearing specialists). Not absolute, but worth thinking about. I’ll look into Silverdale as we have one in Gig Harbor.

And on that note…see next attachment regarding Brookdale in Gig Harbor.

Listen to the residents

It saddens me to see negative reviews about Patriots Landing. My father lives here and I have witnessed so many compassionate caring staff members throughout his 3 years there. It is so easy to write reviews online but I would encourage anyone interested in Patriots Landing go in, visit with the staff , management , residents and see for yourself. Don't take someone else opinion as fact. The residents experience it was matters!

Fine if you are in good health

First, I must say my mother loved her apartment at Patriots Landing. When she moved in she was independent and in fairly good health. We chose patriots landing as she could be transitioned into assisted living when needed. Unfortunately when my mothers dementia worsened, I called the director of nursing to inquire about assisted living. I called for six weeks before getting a response. Unfortunately I missed the call. I called her back almost immediately and got her voicemail. I never ever heard from her again. I would have loved to get more care for my mother but wasn't able to as the director of nursing would not return my call.
Unfortunately, my mother passed away. My sister called to inquire about the final bill., specifically about getting credit for unused meals after my mom passed and while we were moving her things out. She didn't receive a call back so she called again several days later and left a voicemail. She received a call back from the receptionist stating no meal credit The director didn't call.. the two questions my sister had about the bill remained unanswered. In my moms contract it stated we would receive credit when my mother wasn't there, and we received credits during two of her stays at a nursing home.
All in all I cannot recommend Patriots landing. Although it is a beautiful facility, if you have a problem, question or need more services, it is not easy to get ahold of anyone and voicemails are not returned.

My opinion

This was a nice clean community. It was a little out of our price range and the care level was not what we were looking for. The food was ok, however it just did not feel like the right community for my loved one.

A positive experience!

My tour of Patriots Landing went very well, it was a nice community with nice people. The problem was that it was priced way higher than I could afford. I have a certain income for the year and I can not afford to spend it all on an apartment, but the community was very nice, I recommend it to anyone who can afford it.

Best value hands down.

The value for care just can't be beat in my opinion. Our family just moved our mother suffering from dementia to Patriots Landing "Memory Lane" a little less than a month ago. We are very pleased with the staff attentiveness. The engaging activities and cleanliness of the facility are excellent. The fact that there is a licensed nurse on the floor at all times is excellent and not something easily found at other memory care providers. The cost of care is competitive, straightforward, and clearly has a cost ceiling--also something difficult to find at other facilities. In fact a lot of care that costs extra at other places is included in the base rent at Patriots Landing. Our family is very pleased and our mother has improved in every way since moving her to Patriots Landing.

Not a good value for your hard earned dollars

This was a great place a few years ago but new management has ruined it. The food is terrible, the specials are usually a fancy sounding meal that is usually a dry piece of meat covered with a weird sauce and overlooked vegetables. The maid service is not adequate and some weeks maids won't even show up to clean. The grounds which have been very nice in the past now have beds that desperately need water and deadheading. If you need a call back from management don't hold your breath. It can take weeks of calling to finally get an answer back. It is extremely expensive and the cost of my mothers apartment has gone up every year. My family really regrets moving my mom into Patriots Landing.

Glad we're gone

My mother lived here for two years. It was great, for a while. The residents are friendly. They have transportation for residents to doctors' offices. The staff is kind and helpful. Lovely grounds. Many activities for most folks. But beware the resident's agreement or you'll get screwed in the end. Memory care unit is abysmal. Most of the residents are parked in front of a TV and the carpets are dingy. Management staff is not responsive to the family's requests.

This was my first choice.

This was my first choice. I really liked it, the people were nice, and it was a really nice place. It was perfect, except for the location, ultimately it wasn't close enough for family to be able to visit on a regular basis.

Helpful, friendly, welcoming staff. ...

Helpful, friendly, welcoming staff. Residents appear comfortable, happy, well cared after. Excellent meal menu with daily chefs selections. Good range of activities scheduled weekly, both at the community and local venues. Transportation includes runs to JBLM facilities, and churches.

My loved one is very happy and thrill...

My loved one is very happy and thrilled to be residing at Patriots Landing. He wanted to be in a place that offered lots of activity, and he it there. He's always busy. He even participates in pool tournaments. The meals are awesome, and very accommodating to the family stopping by. They keep the faculty looking immaculate. There's no smell at all. They have housekeeping once a week, and a nice laundry room to wash your own clothing items. Patriots Landing caters to military people, or those associated with them.

Review of Patriots Landing Alzheimer's / Memory Care in DuPont, WA

Close to what my father considers important; medical/Rx at Madigan, and proximity to his physicians/specs, and GHC, and his family and friends. We are hoping that we can get my father's medical transfer info, care evaluation, and any help on applying for VA A&A for veterans. But we witnessed all treated well, welcoming, smiles, good and solid info from facility, so far. My father was at ease in this place. Process not yet completed.

Like it. Doubt I'd fit in with milit...

Like it. Doubt I'd fit in with military crowd.Swimming pool.

The facility is beautiful and so are ...

The facility is beautiful and so are the surroundings. Visually, this facility looks a bit like a castle. My mom will still feel like she's a "princess". There are a great deal of activities and variety of choices throughout the facility to interact but it will be up to mom to interact i.e. large dining area (restaurant style) smaller dining area for quieter and more intimate visits, billard room, media room, pool and exercise room, hair salon with manicures and pedicures and bistro/bar. Children and grandchildren are always welcome for visits and are welcome to accompany the resident in any of the areas within the facility. There are rooms set apart for family functions that are included in her monthly charge. Very interactive staff and rooms are very spacious. The assisted living apartments are beautiful and spacious with everything that would provide a "home" look. The Memory Care is all one functional and spacious room with a full bathroom. One issue that came up was that they have never had to deal with a smoker. It was decided that an attendant will hold her cigarette so she will have to pick up her cigarette so she will be directed to an appropriate smoking area.

Outside the main entrance to Patriots Landing Retirement Community near Puget Sound, WA, fly the flags of the U.S. Army, the Air Force, The U.S. Navy, and the Marine Corps. In a nod to those who have served our county, Patriots Landing was initially designed exclusively for retired and former members of the armed forces. PatriotsÆ Landing was the brainstorm of Gene Lynn as he once flew over nearby Fort Lewis. Established in 2005, Patriots Landing offers a wide variety of amenities for their clientele, including such conveniences as room service and on-call transportation services. Designed to help keep their residents in shape, this community boasts of a swimming pool with a heated spa, a fitness center, and a putting green. Other perks for residents include game rooms, a library, and a computer center. Residents with a green thumb are encouraged to help with the maintenance of the community garden. The on-site restaurant offers four-star dining as well. PatriotsÆ Landing offers a variety of housing options for its residents. Twenty-Five independent cottages sit on tree-lined streets, often describes as a mini ôMayberryö! There are also 85 independent living clubhouse apartments, 25 assisted-living apartments, and 22 memory-care assisted living clubhouse apartments.