The Esplanade at Chestnut Ridge - Chestnut Ridge, NY

The place was very nice but the apts. do not have a kitchen. They only have a college room dorm refrigerator and a sink. ALso,the lower priced apts do not have a sitting area. More expensive than Five Star Premier Residence of Yonkers.

My visit

This was a nice looking community when we visited. The person that took is on tour was friendly. This community does offer transportation and seems to offer some nice amenities.

I took a tour!!

When touring, the main things we were looking at was price and care. This place was very nice and the staff were all very friendly, but the price of the care and medication plus the monthly fee were too much.

Positive experience!

Everything the place is very nice. So far, we have no complaints. The meals are good and they have some activities which my loved one does partake in.

I liked this community!!

This community was my first choice, unfortunately it would not work out for what my mom needed. This community was clean and I loved the people.

My Father Has Adjusted Very Well To This Community

So far everything is working out very well for my father here at this community. He has adjusted very well to it, and I'am pleased. The location of the community is close to me. It is a nice and clean community. He is around his fellow peers his own age. It is a great community, and has worked out well for us.

Promenade at Chestnut Ridge

I am a daughter of a resident:

I moved my Mom into Promenade at Chestnut Ridge 1.5 weeks ago. People are friendly and that there are a lot of activities. The place is bright & she is treated well. They have three meals a day. The facility is clean, spacious, and very bright with a nice outdoor area.

Most importantly, the staff is great and I am especially impressed with Debbie [Removed] (Marketing) & Karin [Reoved] (RN) .

Toured, seemed like a nice place

We toured Promenade at Chestnut Ridge while looking into care options for a loved one, and I thought it seemed like a very nice place overall, I got a good impression. It wasn't quite as fancy as some of the places we saw, but it was also much lower in price. The employee who gave us the tour was knowledgeable and helpful, and the place just seemed well run in general. I'd say it is worth a look!

Glitzy on the outside - Rotten on the inside

The facility changed names so many times that it's difficult to know if it's under the same ownership or administration. However, having said that, while it was the Esplanade and subsequently the Promenade, the service left a lot to be desired. The lowest paid staff was adequate enough but due to language barriers they were unable to help the residents much at all. The senior staff however as well as the nursing staff was another story. I don't know why they have a nursing staff at all since they will not even attend to a bleeding wound, let it get infected, and then just send people to the hospital. They will not treat residents even to the extent of applying salve on festering scabs.
The administrative staff is even worse. All they care about is money and how to charge as much as possible. This is a real "cancer" in the senior care industry. The owners sit in Boca Raton and Palm Springs and dictate to hired help to charge whatever they can and as often as they can. Unfortunately the government agencies that are entrusted with the duty to supervise the industry, only look at the nice decor and don't give a darn about the actual care provided to the residents.
There is actually no adequate supervision of the entire industry. It's just a huge "rip off" and unfortunately the loved ones just pay and pay, and the residents suffer.

the staff just need to smile more

Promenade at Chestnut Ridge is a wonderful facility. The rooms are beautiful. The staff just need to smile more there. When we as family come in it would be really nice of the staff to be a little more cheerful. I realize it is there job but still. Other than that it has been a good experience. It is very close to my home. Overall I really do like this facility.

Working out so well for us!

We're very pleased with Promenade at Chestnut Ridge, my loved one has really flourished here! She was very hesitant to move into a senior community, but I begged her to try it for just one month. She did, and absolutely fell in love with it. She tells me "I never knew life could be like this!" It's a beautiful facility, the staff are friendly, and she loves all the activities they have to offer.

There is so many wonderful things I want to say.

I think that this place is nice, its clean and my mom gets good care there. I feel she is very safe there and that is very good to me. The staff is very friendly and helpful and very good. I have not had any complainants only that there was a ant problem in my moms bathroom but they took care of it right away.

Promenda has plenty of activities but my mom doesn't care to partake in it. They have sing along, current events reading and she is 90 and says "I don't want to hear about all the horrible things going out in the world". They also have bingo and they had kids come in to play games with the elders and my mother actually enjoyed that. They kind of force them to get interactions and its helpful. My mother did have a very hard time adjusting and is receiving the highest level of care. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone. They accommodate in every way. My mom doesn't like the food but she is a very picky eater but she said the soup is good. She has two aids that she loves, my mother said "my face lights up when Donna walks into the door and I now the day will be great". A Place for Mom was wonderful I didn't know where to start when she was declining and than it was like boom I was so happy I had looked at some places before all of that happened. A Place for Mom was so helpful to me they gave me places, ideas. Also the Promenade told me even if she runs out of money they do take medicaid and not very many areas do that. Martina Donahue told me about other places that would be great as well. But this place has a support group once a month with the social worker and anyone that wants to come. I have found them so helpful.

nice place wrong location

I only toured this place. The rooms were very nice. the staff that we met seemed to be nice. my loved one came to see this one and wasnt feeling to well and they had the nurse come and look at her and she was spot on with her diagnosis. I will say the bathroom i used was dirty but other than that seemed clean. we didn't choose this place mostly because of location and we just didn't get that right feel.

The food is AWFUL!

The food is awful. She didn't like any of the activities but they did have a lot to do. There were a lot of people who stayed in their rooms. It was very well maintained, and it was very nice. The director seemed to have an attitude. They wouldn't let them have a microwave in their room and said it was a law which it wasn't because I looked into it.

Wasn't right for them

This was one of the places that was a little kitschy. I want to say it was the place that had kosher food and they were not into that, even though they were Jewish, they wouldn't even try it.
They had an outside medical service and we were concerned about how much they would be able to do or what it would cost.

Better overall care and attention

When my dad was ehre they seemed to help out more somewhat. Assisted living can be expensive but it just seemed like they were giving more time with him and there was more overall care. From the activities provided he was staying more involved and this was less expensive than the sunrise we were looking at.

Like this -- about $3700 per month wi...

Like this -- about $3700 per month with meds

Toured the facilities. Like the the...

Toured the facilities. Like the the community. Working out financing.

The Esplanade at Chestnut Ridge is conveniently located in the village of Chestnut Ridge in Rockland County, New York. This lovely community enjoys proximity to the Garden State Parkway, the Palisades Parkway, the New York State Thruway and the Tappan Zee Bridge, making for easy travel to and from New York and all around New Jersey. Our community is personally managed and owned by the Scharf and Laufer families who have been caring for seniors for over 50 years.

The Esplanade of Chestnut Ridge provides support and services that promote dignity and respect. The spacious apartments offered by The Esplanade at Chestnut Ridge are specially designed and equipped for the comfort, safety and security of our residents. Each apartment is fully carpeted and had generous closet space. Safety features include emergency call systems, grab-bars in the bathrooms, and a hazard-free environment.

The Esplanade’s familiar homelike environment, regular daily routines, and friendly assistance of staff offer each resident the highest level of independence.