The Crossings at Hanover - Mechanicsville, VA

General concern

I went on a tour of the facility with one of the admission coordinators. She was quite rushed and condescending. Everything seemed "staged". We did not get a good feeling from the place. The nursing staff seemed quite unsure of themselves. I could not leave my family member there with a good conscious. There was no heartfelt concern or genuineness about the staff or the facility.

I really loved Hanover Crossings. Maybe because it is a newer building, Everything was fresh and bright and cheerful. They had shared and single rooms. Their shared rooms were two separate rooms but they shared the bathroom which was in a little foyer outside of the bedroom doors. They had a 30 day program where you could try out the facility with your family member and you would pay a daily rate for the room. After 30 days you could to extend another 30 days or not. You could ultimately decide you would like your love to stay because it worked out so well. They have skilled nurses at the facility 24hrs. They are located not far from my house.

Nice and New

This is a very nice and new community it was larger than the others we had toured and the staff did a very good job showing us all around and answering all our questions. There were a lot of amenities offered to the residents should they choose to participate and the staff we met were all friendly. In the end, we felt that this community was just not the best fit for my mother as it was on the larger side and focused more on amenities, not activities and it lost the homey feeling.

Healthcare Nightmare

I was so thrilled to find The Crossings and [Removed] is a delight to work with. However, the same can not be said of the nursing staff. My mother was in the hospital 3 times within three months due to the lack of nursing skill in determining health problems. When I expressed my concerns they were ignored. My mom is now looking for a new home. The Crossings has much to learn as a new facility.

Overall Good Experience with This Community

We are pleased with my father in laws move to this community. He is doing well since his move here, and we know he is being provided with good care. The staff is good here at this community. It has been a good experience overall, and I would recommend this community.

We did not end up going on this tour, as we were so very thrilled with what we found at Heritage Green, having toured there as our first stop. But, I must speak to the kindness of [Removed. I received a voicemail message from him last week and did not get a chance to return his call, as our home was invaded by the flu bug. His message was welcoming and sincere, and he was just as kind when I spoke with him on the phone yesterday when we cancelled our tour. I feel confident that, if we need to seek out other options, Mr. James would be just as eager to help. I truly appreciate his kindness.

[Removed] gave an impressive tour of the model rooms and amenities. She answered all of my questions. She was very professional and not pushy.

We liked it so much we are going to place Mom there.