Morningside in the West End - Richmond, VA

Mom's new Home

Great Community! I would recommend to anyone. They take great care of their residents and make all of the families feel welcome.

The Best Care EVER!

I am very happy with the care that my loved one has received. The staff is attentive, friendly and caring. They keep you active and engaged. It is great knowing that my loved one can age in place there. They have a BEAUTIFUL enclosed courtyard that gives it a park like setting. I would recommend Morningside to EVERYONE!!!

Very Disappointed

The place is clean; the people are friendly. My mother would ring her bell for help. It sometimes took up to 30 minutes for an aide to arrive. That is a really long time to wait for help getting to and from the bathroom. If she requested pain medicine,often it took another 30 minutes before the nurse arrived with her medication. Unfortunately, you are required to sign an agreement which forces you to pay an additional 30 days' rent AFTER your loved one has passed on. My mother was there for 40 days. The fees came to over $12,000 for a Studio Room. When you try to talk to someone at the facility about the ethics of charging the grieving family for a room that their loved one can no longer inhabit, they blame the home office. If you call the home office, no one answers their phone and no one returns a phone call. This is not a company worthy of your loved ones' care or your money.

Tour for care

I toured this community. The community was small and the rooms seemed like a study and not a bigger room. I wanted a community that had more of an apartment feeling, The community was nice and clean, but not what I was looking for. I would recommend that families tour this community for the care of a loved one

A nice tour.

I was happy with the tour here, but due to needing to use a motorized chair this community would not fit our needs. The staff was friendly and caring. It was clean and well taken care of. I would recommend this community for good care.

Gathered Information

I took a tour for a respite stay but also wanted to gather information for the future. They did a good job with the tour and gave me a lot of valuable feedback. I really liked that it is located across from my work. I did not use the community because they were unable to confirm availability.

Tour #3

This is another community that I liked but the memory care was on the second floor. They did have a beautiful garden/courtyard but my mom would not be able to use it. This is not an enclosed yard. They had a deck off the kitchen area with bars to enclose the back, I did not like that. They did not have any availability here and it seemed as if the tour guide went through the motion of the tour, not engaged with me.

Five Star Reviews

Thank you so much, we really appreciate your feedback. Morningside in the West End strives to deliver quality care and finest hospitality experience to our residents and guests. We would love to invite you over for another tour to showcase how beautiful and thriving our community really is, we have a dedicated staff member that will take you around and join you for lunch. Please visit our web site to schedule a tour and we hope to see you back: [removed]

food is not good

The food is not good at Morningside in the West End. A chef cooks it but its almost too extravagant. The residents would appreciate more basic food I think. It's been an okay experience. It is hard in any situation like this though.

Top notch!

This is a top-notch facility, with top-notch employees. It is obvious that extra effort is given to hiring only the most caring and competent staff. Everyone's attitude is to give the best service to the residents and their families. I encountered no instances of "attitude" problems at all. Care givers in the Bridge to Recovery Program are remarkably patient, and understanding of the very specialized care needed for dementia patients. My mother was so blessed to live here, and I was very blessed to be a part of the "family" there.

A great place for your loved ones.

My Grandma was at Morningside for a few weeks until she lost her battle with pancreatic cancer. I highly recommend this facility to anyone looking for a place for their loved ones. I researched and toured several places and this was far and away the best place I found. The Managers are top notch and the staff is all super helpful and reliable. I also appreciate how much they all cared for my Grandma. The facility was always clean and everyone there was very friendly and inviting. My Grandma (who was super picky) also really liked the food. :-) Again, I would recommend this place over and over again.

A professional, caring and friendly place for my Dad.

Everyone at Morningside is very professional and friendly. It's a very easy place for my Dad to get around in and in the 2 months he has been there, he has become very comfortable with everyone and everything there. He has changed from an introvert to an extrovert in a very short time. It's very clean and well kept. My Dad loves the food served and gets plenty to eat. The staff seems to be very knowledgeable of each of their residents and their needs. Morningside is the perfect place for my Dad. I'm not stressed out about him anymore knowing that he is in very good hands.

Clean, open, light

Clean, open, light

The Best For Less

MORNINGSIDE IN THE WEST END is a very friendly and outgoing facility. ALL their staff are outgoing, friendly
and kind. Their nursing staff, in particular management
and/or supervisors seem to be MORE qualified that other facilities my wife has recently been a resident of.

Additionally the service and care given is far superior
and the monthly fee is much less than "The Crossings" and "Parkview" in the Richmond, VA area.

Lovely community, care could be improved.

They are a nice place and very clean. I don't live very close, when I came to visit I visited for four hours. In the time I was there things that should be done every two hours weren't done at all. There were also some instructions that weren't followed correctly either. Brigitta is a lovely lady, she is the marketing director, one of the reasons we chose Morningside was, she seemed a little more concerned and seemed less focused on sales than another place we saw. The call button doesn't work, and it's been at least a month. I do like that it's a lovely spacious room.

Five Star Reviews

Thank you for your feedback. Here at Morningside in the West End, providing the best quality care for our residents is very important to us, as we strive to create a positive and nuturing enviormnment. I’m very sorry about your negative experience you had with our community, and would love to discuss it with you directly. We look forward to your next visit and value your input very much.

Thanks,
Sharon Sills, Executive Director

We really liked it.

We really liked it. The people were nice and it was clean. We picked a Morninig side that was a little closer to us, because we liked it so much but it was a little too far away. We are very happy at the Morningside we did choose.

VERY IMPRESSED. EXCELLENT ...

VERY IMPRESSED. EXCELLENT MANAGEMENT TEAM. THE NURSE IN CHARGE OF THE DEMENTIA/ALZHEIMERS SECTION WAS VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE. THE CLEANINESS OF THE FACILITY WAS VERY IMPRESSIVE. ACCOMADAIONS WERE JUST WHAT I WANT AND EXPECT. THE ACTIVITIES POGRAM WAS THE BEST I HAVE SEEN ANYWHERE IN THE RICHMOND AREA. THIS IS THE PLACE FOR MOM! I WILL MAKE A FIRM COMMITTMENT WITHIN THE NEXT TEN DAYS. FINALLY THE RESIDENT FEES ARE REASONABLE AND ACCEPTABLE FOR ME AND MY FAMILY.

I visited here and liked it...

I visited here and liked it. The staff was very nice. This was further away so I didn't chose this one.

Very Pleaed

We are very pleased with them. The staff there is excellent. The nursing staff is very caring and very good. It is a very nice place. The only negative thing that we have heard from my father is that the food leaves a little to be desired. Probably just average. The staff is really a big plus, though.

It was a very small lock down communi...

It was a very small lock down community, I thought my father wanted a more social experience (which ended up not even mattering) but I think they also had a higher staff turnover rate.

nice hallways, decorations ...

nice hallways, decorations not overdone, reminiscent of Spring Arbor, no code for getting in memory unit, code for getting out, residents do not hear the alarm (a plus for me), alarm is at nurse's station and downstairs, doctors come in to building, would have to take mom out for dentist, aging in place, pee smell by some rooms as we entered the memory care unit, cleaning was occurring at same time, apt was great, prime location for mom, right at nurses' station and dining area, could put lift chair in common area for mom to sit in. Executive Director was very responsive to care concerns and seemed understanding of concerns and needs.

looked 2 yrs ago when mom w...

looked 2 yrs ago when mom was in rehab. PT on site. Cut of the apt I saw was absurd, no go. Dining room at back of building and didn't smell great. Not high on list.

This one is in my top two so far. I l...

This one is in my top two so far. I loved the many visitation spaces available throughout the building. Liked the single hallway community area. The room available is quite small, but functional. Liked that it had its own shower that is easily accessible. All residents were out in the common area for bowling activity when visited. Friendly staff. Clean and well decorated, bright and cheerful. Liked the choice of food offered via "butler style" service. Don't like the extra fees for cable etc. Seemed a little nickel and dime to me. Otherwise, it appears that fees are within desired range depending on evaluation.

Good location, they are finishing the...

Good location, they are finishing their renovations and it looks very nice. They have an in-house rehab facility and their own rehab staff - advantages to that. Director was so helpful - very outgoing and personable to work with.

With five levels of care to better match the services our residents need, our community also offers a special memory impairment neighborhood called the Gardens. We offer Five Star service delivered in a family-like atmosphere, setting us apart from other providers. For more than seven years, we have helped seniors transition from living alone, giving them a less challenging living environment and enabling peace of mind. Our staff is available 24 hours a day / seven days a week, helping with meal preparation and medication supervision. Stop by today to see how Morningisde in the West End's residents enjoy the quality care they have come to expect over the years, and why they call our community home.