Imperial Plaza - Richmond, VA

You make your own happiness

My husband and I looked everywhere before moving here and we never found anything like it. We have lived here for about 3 years now. There are wonderful services available. There is a doctors office on site and there are also nurse practitioners here that can come to your apartment if you cannot get to the doctor's office. The staff is very friendly and the residents are as well. The staff is also very quick to respond to emergencies that might come up. If you have a cheerful attitude you will really enjoy yourself here. For the money you cannot find anything like this place.

Overall Happy

I recently moved to Imperial Plaza in the last few months and I am happy with my experience here thus far. Most of the staff is very friendly and helpful. I really like the variety of activities offered. Most places don't offer nearly as many activities as we have here. I also like the fact that there is assisted living here as well as a rehab in the community so that if my friends transition to different types of care I can still visit with them. Overall this is a nice place to live, everywhere you go can make improvements of course but I like what they can offer me here.

I LOVE living here!

I live at Imperial Plaza and love it here! This gated community is centally located to many restaurants and stores. It also has on location 2 restaurants a bar, a bank, and grocery. A drug store is also coming soon. We also have buses if you can't drive that can take you to stores and doctors appointments. There are lots of activities and clubs and a large library. Everything around gets better everyday. The staff is always very friendly. This is a beautiful setting that makes you feel at home. I also really like the improved maintenance staff, they have become much more responsive and prompt.

Welcoming

Everyone has been most helpful and friendly. Greatly appreciate [name removed] for his welcoming and offer of support.

Overall Great

Great

[Name removed] and [name removed] were very informative. Learned a lot.

Very nice. People are very caring. I was concerned that the memory unit was on the 6th floor. Also there must have been an issue in the past with residents slipping out behind visitors in an attempt to leave. The elevator was right beside the entry door with code to the Memory unit. The bathrooms were a little small. I thought that if someone fell in the bathroom, there would not be room for staff to work together to get them up off the floor. I felt the hallway was a little narrow but I loved the shadow boxes outside of the rooms for family to decorate with pictures. I felt since the building was older, I felt like I was in an older hotel with a long hallway. They had shared rooms as well as single rooms. Their shared rooms were two separate rooms but they shared the bathroom which was in a little foyer to the left outside of the bedroom doors.They have a Mall on one of the floors that has a bank, grocery store, library and pharmacy. They have skilled nurses in the AM and CNAs and Med Techs in the evening and night hours. They are located not far from my house.

We chose Imperial Plaza specifically for the activities and services they offer. Staff were warm and friendly and answered all of my questions.

Some urine odor on 1st level. No odors observed on 4th and 5th floors. Fantastic dining options. 140 activities per month! Residents all said they loved living there. 903 units appears like a college campus. Nice studio and 1 bedroom units. It could work for us; however, at this time we'd prefer a smaller facility. [Name removed] was unhurried and answered all of our questions. Great staff! Many, many options for the level of care and meal plans from which to select!

Not the best fit for dad. Very confined living space for memory care residents.

Why Brookdale imperial plasma richmond Va is not worth the money

This place used to be decent as slowly they were making improvements but now it is seriously a joke. Almost every year rent is raised 100.00, no padding under carpets, and on an 83 degree day in last couple days in March it’s hot because they don’t have their ac system up and running. That’s right, seniors with respitory issues have no air and the office staff plays dumb. Elivators steady issues, ac unit steady issues. No telling if the crumbling insulation on the water pipes on the bottom floor have esbestos or not. This place is definitely not worth the money or the increases and will milk a seniors bank account to death. By the way, what used to be a convienance having a Pharmecy in building so people wouldn’t have to run all over for their medication was great. Not no more because their corporate morons decided to do away with it. They say they care but don’t believe it they only care about the money they make that goes into the corporate pocket. This review was done March 2018 by [name removed]

Repairs & updates needed

The people, for the most part, were lovely at Brookdale Imperial Plaza. But the place needed to be updated. Again, the people were lovely. The dining room was nice. Her room might have just been for just respite stays, but it was a very depressing atmosphere. The bathroom was missing a door. She didn't get to enjoy or participate anything because she was there to recuperate. The drab walls were not appealing or helpful for feeling restful or uplifting. My mom made due until I could move her to another community.

Very run down

The gentleman who did our tour did a very nice job. But the community itself was run down, drab and felt more like an institution. We noticed that the staff did not seem to be very attentive and the facility was just too large for what we were looking for for my mother-in-law. This was differently not where we would want her to be,

Budget friendly place!!

This place is very budget friendly and we had chose it because they have the memory care unit attached for when he needs to move to that side. He has had no complaints about the meals and enjoys participating in the few activities he is able too. Overall I am pleased and would recommend this place to anyone looking for a budget friendly place.

Care for a friend

This is a nice community. I like knowing that he is happy and likes being able to do a lot of things for himself. The community is very clean and he likes the outdoors. He is enjoying a lot of the meals that are provided. We like knowing that he is activities with other residents. We would recommend the care and the value of this community to other families for the care of a loved one.

Still Adjusting, but Overall Mom is in Good Hands Here

It has been a ruff transition for my mother with her move to this community, but overall I do feel she is safe. She is still adjusting, but I'am comfortable with her move here. They have good staff, and they are caring for her well. I will say that the community could use some updating, and also they need to replace the elevators. The meals are okay, and there are activities offered for the residents when they are ready to participate. So far everything is moving in the right direction for us at this community, and I would recommend it.

My mother's care

This is a great community for good care. We have just settled in and so far. The community is clean and we like the menu that is very good and large choices. They have a lot of activities that will be offered so far. We would highly recommend this community to other families for care of a loved one.

Nice community but too expensive.

The reason we did not choose Brookdale Imperial plaza is the way they charged was very a la carte. The final cost would have been too far out of sight.

Disappointed

There is not enough help in the memory unit.
There is no outdoor space except a parking lot.
There is no place for a family to meet.
There are very few activities or field trips.
They do arrange for transportation to doctor appointments.
Some of the employees are not as nice as others.

A good tour!

I really liked the Brookdale Imperial Plaza when I toured it. The place was very nice and clean, but before I could get the background information something came up and I had to chose another option.

A good experience!

My mother in law went to Brookdale Imperial Plaza for a respite stay and it was a good experience, I would use Brookdale again if needed. The staff were caring and took good care of her. We have no complaints.

My choice for when I am ready!

I have already chosen this community for the day that I am ready to leave my home. I like that they serve hot meals, and you buy a meal ticket versus paying for every meal. It is an older place but they have redone a lot of it and put some fresh paint. Also, I am kept at the top of their list for when they have an opening. They are very nice!

This community is a good match

My only concern with this community is the communication is not what I would like to see. They do not seem to be Customer Service oriented. The caregivers that work with mom are good. The food is very good and I am satisfied with it. They offer a lot of activities including group activities and they have a concert hall. This is an older building, however they do try and keep it clean.

Pretty Nice Community

So far it has been an okay experience for my mother in law with her move to this community. They have a pretty good staff at this community. For the most part we are comfortable with the care she is being provided with. The location is convenient for us to travel. Overall everything is working out pretty well, and I would recommend this community.

I was very impressed with Brookdale and found it to be a very good option for my father.

Pleasant Community, Our Tour Went Well

We toured this community for my in laws in their needs. It is a nice community, everything looked nice, and well-kept. The staff we came across was very kind, and friendly. The experience was a nice one.

Look into this community for independent living!

The independent living area of this community is nice and I would recommend it. The assisted living area is not a place I would want my mom to live. I was just not impressed with the room she would have been in.

We like it!

The staff has been just fantastic with me and my loved one. They have helped my loved one transition and get involved with some of the many activities that they offer. They can do a little better with cleaning. My loved one said that the food is good, but I was able to eat with him and I felt that it was great.

My Uncle is Well at This Community

My uncle is doing pretty well here at this community. He is adjusting well to it, and we are pleased with his move with. He is still independent, but he has access to help if he needs it. The staff is kind, they have been helpful and responsive. There are nice activities offered for the residents. He enjoys the meals. Overall it has been lovely experience. I know he is in good hands here.

My Thoughts of My Visit Here

They were nice people to meet and tour with. It was not as nice as I thought. We did not find the home environment like we were looking for. I believe they were knowledgeable during the tour.

My Loves It Here, It is A Great Community

My father is doing very well here at this community. He really loves it here, and I'am pleased with his move. This is a lovely community, it is very nice and clean, and well maintained. The staff is good, they are pretty helpful and kind. There many activities available, he is looking forward to trying some. I know is he is safe and in good hands here. I would recommend this community, it is a great place.

Large Residence!!

Brookdale Imperial Plaza is a really big community. There are 10 floors to this place it's huge. It is a much older community that might need a little updating done to it. It's very clean and organized. The hallways to the rooms are very narrow. Overall, i thought it was a nice place but was to big for my loved one.

I can not complain about this community!

I have lived here a short time and so far things are great. They offer 3 restaurants and the food I had was delicious. The community is clean. They offer a wide variety of daily activities and trips. They offer things such as bingo, knitting and they have a mini gym.

Hallways are not vacuumed!

The community does not require a meal plan for the residents. Our loved one is able to make their own food. The community only offers an orientation for the new residents once a month. A new resident can go almost a month without knowing where and how to get involved with the community. There is quite an issue with housekeeping and maintenance. The flower beds at the entrance of the community are full of weeds. The community overall is not cleaned properly. We have heard of and seen rooms rented without being cleaned.

A Really Good Community For My Mother

Everything has worked out very well for my mother here at this community. I'am very pleased with her move here, she is being cared for well. Everybody has been very friendly and welcoming. She has become more outgoing and social.The community looks beautiful, everything is nice and clean. The food is wonderful, they serve nice meals. I know she is safe here, and she likes it. I would recommend this community, it has really provided me a peace of mind.

We Knew My Mother Was in Good Hands Here

My mother's experience here at this community was a decent one. We were satisfied with the community. She was safe and in good hands here. The community looks nice and clean. From what I saw everything appeared well maintained. Overall this is a community I would recommend.

Tour #1

I really liked this place and I would choose this for myself! It has beautiful architecture that reminds me of Richmond. It is a pretty facility and my mom is able to go out to the veranda too. But my mom thought this was too urban for her and it was on a busy corner street. The marketing girl seemed to be very engaging with residents and it was obvious she knew the residents.

Imperial Plaza

Imperial Plaza's greatest asset is its staff. They know everyone by name and are quick to respond to a need. There are quite a variety of activities with a number of amenities on site. It is an old facility and could use some renovations, specifically to the elevators and doorways.

Friendly Residents

This community is such a huge place! All seemed clean and well managed. There are 4 dinning rooms to eat in. The residents were all welcoming, informative, and over-friendly. The buildings are older and showed age and I also did not enjoy seeing a mixture of memory, assisted living, and independent care. I preferred only an independent living community.

New resident

Room is great. Lack of communication from sales reps on fees up front. Didn't find out until signed lease. Antiquated billing system and payment services.

Perfect choice

Originally I thought I was calling Brookdale directly. I was connected with "A Place For Mom". Initially, I wasn't real pleased, but later found that they helped me narrow a search for my Parents. They are moving from Florida, so the "looking" was super time consuming. Traveling from one place to another was also a hassle only to find that it wasn't what we expected or needed. The service they provided enabled to narrow the search down to three places that I could show my parents on a short trip they took here. Saved time and energy on my parents end and my end, which was invaluable for the circumstances at the time of their visit. They decided on Brookdale for many reasons, no buy in, no going outside in bad weather (unless you want too), Anything they might need is right there. Restaurants, stores, doctors, a bank, salon and so much more. The staff at Brookdale are "Top Notch" and every concern is addressed and answered. My parents will be moving in on April 1st, and I for one am so happy they are going to be close to more of their family.

I know my mom is safe. She was very upset at first I can see now she's settled in. I love the facility. Edith Wood-Young. Soon she'll only have 1650 available I'm praying she can stay

Decent with just a few minor issues

We had a few problems with communication in the beginning, but I think everything is fine now. The staff really seems to care about the well being of the residents. With that being said, they are short staffed at times, but that is the nature of the business. Overall, it has been decent with just a few minor issues.

A great place

A great place!

Would recommend to others

need to improve their communication

Brookdale Imperial Plaza is disorganized and they don't communicate well. My mother-in-law is in a respite room. We had discussed moving into her into the independent living side but the day we were going to move they said she belonged in assisted living but couldn't move until they did a psyche evaluation. They are just all over the place. There is a disconnect between their clinical and administration. I understand it is a difficult job dealing with the elderly and overall it's not bad. They just need to improve their communication.

overall good experience

Brookdale Imperial Plaza has been an overall good experience. The facility is clean. The staff is friendly. The value is good. I have no complaints.

Bug city

I have had bugs since I moved in 4 months ago. Nobody seems to care about my phobia. I have spent 5 nights at a hotel to get some sleep. Why have an apt. If I have to stay at a hotel.
[removed]

Rudeness for courtesy riders

Brook dale imperial plaza has been a stressful place to live. The marketers tol lis about: being able to control your air and heat. Instead administration decides when to turn on/off air conditioning. My place has been like a sauna. I was also told that transportation is free within a five mile radius. Instead it's $12 round trip. Furthermore one has to wait 2hours to be picked up. Moreover, today Ray, head of transportation was rude. I asked about a farmers market. He began with telling me they are short handed. I then requested that we spend an extra hour at willow lawn. He replied "if you don't like it get off the bus and tak e a cab. This was so surprising. So when I got off the bus I asked why he was being nasty to me. He said, "I tired of people complaining". I wasn't complaining. I just asked a question. I think I am owed an apology. .Others have complained verbally.... And who decided on the shops/stores we want to go? From speaking with others, Dollar tress, Tom Leonard, Walmart seems to be the consensus.

Communication needs work

Calls to maintenance go unanswered for days. Black mold found in my mother's apartment and after two calls over three days, NO ONE has shown up to check it out.

Brookdale

Probably closer to a 5 star, but on move in, found some missed areas in the cleaning process. I love it though! The view is spectacular and there's plenty to do. Activity is so important as we age. It keeps us going!

It's a pretty typical place.

They were one of the few places able to take someone with psychological issues. The doctor here isn't all that great though, in my opinion. The medical part is questionable, there has been some confusion with her medications. She likes the grounds and she can walk around as little and as much as she wants. They have activities, and the food is okay. They seem to be pretty comparable in price. The people are okay. I feel like a lot of the nurses, are certified assisted living.

A one stop shop for seniors!

I think the Brookdale Imperial Plaza is a one stop shop for seniors! They have a pharmacy, doctors, and stores inside the facility. It's a very classy building. I am very pleased with everything there. They have a lot of activities. Everyone is friendly. I would recommend the Brookdale Imperial Plaza to anyone. I am pleased.

Communication Needs Improvement

They could improve on answering their phones a little bit more. They have not been so well on returning phone calls yet. We have some concerns and the people have not yet responded and returned our calls.

Excellent value

My brother & I did extensive research in finding our Mom a good senior community where she could "age in place" and still have plenty of activities & people her own age around her.

When we toured the first time, we were impressed with the friendliness of everyone - staff & residents alike. The grounds are impeccably kept. This is a gated community, which was huge for us. We also discovered it was a huge value - best bang for the buck. This is not a "shiny new" community, but everything was clean & updated. One of the advantages of it being older is that the apartments tend to be bigger than a lot of other places.

They offer lots of services (as add-ons of course), but because of the cost effectiveness of the rent, we were able to get Mom cleaning services & a couple of other amenities we hadn't even thought of.

There are 3 restaurants, from a nice dining experience, down to a pub. There is also a doctor, convenience store, pharmacy, hair salon & Towne Bank. There are also breezeways connecting everywhere, so in bad weather, you can go from one place to another without going outside.

This is a HUGE complex, pretty much self-contained. Mom doesn't actually move in for a couple of weeks, but we've been hugely impressed so far. I'll update my review once she gets moved in & settled.

My mother is very happy. It's amazing.

My mother is very happy. It's amazing. She has a very full calendar. It's fun stuff. It's singing, concerts, movies, and more. She's having a great time. I am 100% grateful. The management knows what they're doing. It's just the happiest environment that I have been to in a long time. It's great to see my mom happy. I would highly recommend it. I'ts a great place and affordable. I could not ask for better. The meals are delicious.

An excellent facility

It's an excellent facility. It accommodates both my mother and father. They are starting to get more involved and partake in activities. Both of my parents are really happy. It has been a good experience.

Pleasant

The place was pleasant. Overall, the Brookdale Imperial Plaza was a pleasant and clean facility. I toured this community. My first impression was that is it very clean. It was an attractive community.

I am pleased with this facility. My dad is happy their and thats all that really matters. He said food is good and have few activities and the staff are really nice.

very nice lot of activity food was great got free lunch if I could not find a place I was looking for I would consider Brookdale Imperial Plaza because you would have a lease but could break the lease in 30 days written notice as of 2/5/15

I highly recommend this place

They were very well. I recommend any one here. We are pleased. They were very accommodating. My father in law is thrilled with the place. They are on the ball! They care, "you ring your buzzer and they answer right away. Excellent, they are excellent.

Review of Imperial Plaza Assisted Living in Richmond, VA

My mother has decided that she will be moving in with me. Imperial Plaza was great and down the road it could still be a consideration.

Very nice place!

We toured this community when we were looking into options for a loved one. This place look very nice! The facility itself was immaculate, and the staff all seemed very friendly and caring. It had a lot of nice amenities as well. We liked that beside the normal activities and entertainment they had opportunities to stimulate the mind as well, computer classes, etc. Unfortunately our loved one was not ready to make this sort of move, but we liked it enough that we might consider it for ourselves when the time comes!

Nice place, overall

Our loved one hasn't been here so, but so far Imperial Plaza has done a good job looking after him. There are always ways these places could improve, but in general we've been happy with what they provide.

Excellent Value and very fr...

Excellent Value and very friendly and helpful staff.

Pleased with transition

They have been easy to work with and welcoming to my Mom. We are glad that we made this decision. My Mom apartment in Boxwood is very cute and staff delightful.

Wonderful facility with wide-range of options

My 88-year-old mother came to live with me in 2006. I am selling my home and was worried where my mom would live and be comfortable. I was reluctant to check out Imperial Plaza because I thought it was too pricey. Now, I wish I had moved her there in 2006. I am hopeful that she will have a few years to enjoy all the facility has to offer and enjoy the company of others her age. They offer a wide range of services and the food in the full-service restaurant is excellent. Try the Carrot Souffle! I can rest assured that my mom is in good hands.

We are very pleased with them.

Everything went very well, they were very kind, and courteous, and helpful. They answered all of our questions, and even some we didn't know we had. It's clean and they have plenty of activities. The only issue that we had was, when you go to the grocery store, or anywhere, when you carry anything up to your room, you have to go through the laundry area. The food was good. It was one of the most cost effective places we looked at. We are very pleased with them.

No washer/dryer in unit

No washer/dryer in unit

There are a lot of communication issues...

There are a lot of communication issues, especially with the move in. It was hard to get answers we had to make numerous calls and emails, especially when we were moving her in. Once we were there no on seems to know what's going on and are always directing us to another person. There are things that we had requested to get done, and we have had to do it ourselves to get it to happen. If something does get done there is no follow through. We liked the facility and how much there was available for her, and how close everything was. They made a lot of promises and once we paid and got in it took forever to get those things we were promised, done. They have a lot to do, but I had to go find a calendar to find out what was going on. They don't have one activity area, they are all over the place. The food is good.

They seem to be very knowledgeable about Alzheimers

The community is clean and the staff is friendly. They are good about responding to needs and requests. It would be nice if when they talk about how to pay for assisted living, they could have a long term view, that would be helpful, what would happen as people decline, maybe present a worst case scenario, so that families can better plan financially for what could happen. They seem to be very knowledgeable about Alzheimers, and I like that the medical staff are employed by Imperial, not an outside agency. The meals offer a lot of choices, and the food is pretty good.

I visited here. This is a ...

I visited here. This is a big facility and had everything you can think of. I did like the independent better than the assisted living but my mom would not be able to live in the independent section, and I think it would be too confusing for her. The staff was very nice. This was also further away than I wanted.

Tons of Activities!

My mom used to live here and I was pleased with it. At that time she was in the independent living and it was pretty good. They had a lot going on. Even though she didn't take advantage of it they had a free bus system for the residents and they went out to lunch and on vacations, played bingo. They had everything! My mom had just moved there so she was a little bit upset about it and didn't really participate in much. She did say the food was good though.

Nice but Not Meeting our Needs

My dad was here for about two months before we had to move him out due to behavior issues. He was in independent living, and it is a very large community. They don't offer meals, so we signed my dad up for meals on wheels. It was nice and all, it just wasn't meeting my dad's needs.

Imperial Plaza has the best...

Imperial Plaza has the best dining facilities & food. However there campus was to big & overwhelming for my mom.

Could improve on companions

My mother was in an apartment and I had companions come in, they provide companions at an additional cost. She was here almost, two-two and a half years. It was okay, I think they just need to work on their staff as far as companions and we did hit some bumps in the road in getting her medication companion showing up on time, you kind of had to watch them closely.

Liked what I saw,but this was the fir...

Liked what I saw,but this was the first one I visited.

AT THIS TIME, IT'S 1 OR 2. GOOD PRIC...

AT THIS TIME, IT'S 1 OR 2. GOOD PRICE, OK FACILITY

Way too big for us. Perfect though fo...

Way too big for us. Perfect though for someone with a more outgoing nature I think.

Keep as a prospect

Keep as a prospect

High-rise buildings with an older loo...

High-rise buildings with an older look, but the campus is lovely and the inside community is impressive! Everything you could want or need, a person would not need to leave if they didn't want to. Director was great - very informative and helpful. The rooms were nice and good sizes. Financially the least expensive and well within budget. Very large community (almost 1,000 people).

Very clean, nice people. A facility ...

Very clean, nice people. A facility that Mom would like if she was to move now.

the Director was a very understanding...

the Director was a very understanding and gracious host during the tour/visit and with follow up questions Mom and I had. As of right now this is Mom's favorite location for several reasons. She likes that the facilitiy felt like a community. There are all kinds of service available on site, such as a pharmacy, nurses, doctors, a bank, convenience store, and such. She also enjoyed that almost every resident said hellow to us on the tour and many even stopped to ask Mom her name and when she was moving in. This really made Mom feel welcomed and she hasn't even moved in yet. Page treated us to dinner and Mom enjoyed the staff coming up to get to know her and the selection was too much for her. Plus the portion of food was so much that she took some home with her. Even at dinner, residents continued to welcome us and hoped that Mom would be joing them. This facility also offers Mom the ability to select the kind of services that she wants versus being all inclusive. Overall she left this facility feeling like she really would enjoy getting to make friends here. Plus it will probably work the best of all the facilities we visited with Mom's budget. The one downside that she mentioned is that the facility is the oldest of the one's we visited, yet it seemed well maintained.

I really like this place. It is the m...

I really like this place. It is the most flexible and can accommodate and change it's care as my Mom's needs change.

This facility is certainly an option

This facility is certainly an option

Really liked the folks here & what th...

Really liked the folks here & what they had to offer

A great place. Ist choice when we are...

A great place. Ist choice when we are ready to move.

Imperial Plaza provides a full range of choices for today’s seniors. Choosing a senior living community represents a lifestyle choice and we understand that our residents are choosing much more than a comfortable living environment to call home. Our Brookdale community delivers Inspired Independent Living, with the promise of Exceptional Experiences Everyday. In choosing this community, our residents have made a conscious lifestyle decision designed to deliver enhanced opportunities for pursuing health and life fulfillment through the exceptional services, amenities and opportunities we offer. And, our residents can rest assured that as their needs change we provide a variety of ancillary services and a Personalized Assisted Living environment that encourages our residents to continue to live as they please while respecting individual preferences.

Optimum Life® and Celebrations provide an all-encompassing way of life that touches the lives of our residents, their families and associates alike. Optimum Life® is a journey of self discovery including services, features and benefits that allow each resident to pursue their peak level of health, wholeness and fulfillment while balancing six key dimensions of personal wellness: emotional, intellectual, physical, social, spiritual and purposeful.