The Brook of Houghton Lake - Houghton Lake, MI

We put in a $500. deposit, for a call when there is an opening. [name removed] said "YES". She is 3rd on the list.

I couldn't be happier with the staff and hospice in the way they took care of my mother. You all became family to us and I would like to say Thank You for caring and loving my Mother as we all did. Mom passed away peacefully on Sept. 12, 2017, and it was because of the Love and Attention of her family, staff, and hospice. Thank You again for everything. From the family of [removed]

Disrespectful to my mother rights and dignity.

The aids are nice. The appearance of the facility nice but I'm very disappointed with management. My mothers rights are being ignored. No cameras for safety. I was told this is their home. People in homes with common sense have security cameras. Mom needed help pushing input to get her tv screen back into signal. A work order wAs put in for them to get to in 2-3 days!!!! Nobody could go in for 3 minutes to assist her? Seriously? All that money and anwork order to push a button was needed? Mother asked for her lock to be changed because duplicate keys are in the wrong hands of family and 2 days later still haven't been changed. My sister dumped caring for mom in writing and they are following her orders and forcing mother to cooperate with meds administration against her wishes and she is independent status. I'm so disturbed and have contacted an attorney and social workers. Management acts like they know my mother and don't. Ridiculousness. Management led mother into a discussion on family troubles which agitated her and stressed her out more. I'm just blown away by this place and shaking my head. If a resident goes out a side door, slips and falls they could freeze to death because there are NO CAMERAS. No view from another residents window. They could just lay there alone for who knows how long. Not safe and they don't respect my moms needs. She hates this place and now I see why. She has been there 6 months too long.

Nice for Independent-Living Only

Our mother was supposed to be in assisted living, but was not always assisted. For example, she missed lunch because of her memory, and no one thought to check on her or bring lunch to her. The aides are friendly, but not well trained, and the LPN in charge does not follow through with requests for information on medical care, and always complains she is "too busy". The facility is clean and the surroundings are very nice. This facility is best for someone in need of independent living.

Not suitable for Respite Pt.

We are impressed with the overall facilty. However, for a Respite Pt. this is NOT THE PLACE.
Dad needs much prompting, and hands-on, The Brook wasn't prepaired for him. He didn't like it there. We ended up bringing him home early, and they didn't refund our money (we prepaid).
It took 5 hrs. initially to get his room ready( it was suppose to be ready).
We will come back to this facility.

Not A Lock Down Memory Care Facility

The were more than helpful with my mom. She needed a lock down facility. Outside of them not being a lock down facility for memory care, they were great. That was the only negative.