The Birches at Arbour Square - Harleysville, PA

Progressive and Caring

Our parents moved to The Birches two years ago when they were too ill to move home on their own.
The director was caring and helped us through Mom's passing two months later.
Dad moved from a one bedroom suite to a Deluxe suite and both suites have a kitchenette which is a big plus. Not all personal care facilities offer this setting. The kitchenette makes it feel like an apartment not just a room.
The staff at The Birches felt like family and friends from the start! Senior Physical Therapy Services on site was wonderful and helped Dad rehabilitate. Having a hair salon on site, and transport to Grand View Hospital are all big pluses .
We felt the need to use CBD Oil to aid Dad with sleep issues and the administration at The Birches were progressive enough to research and approve CBD oil use! Our family is so appreciative for their good care !!
[Name removed]

Thank you to all the staff for the care my Dad, [Removed] received while he was in your care. I was very impressed with all of the staff and the overall community. The staff was friendly, compassionate and caring. I felt as he was in the best care available.

Thanks again,
[Removed]

Everything Seems Well

Mom seems to be doing well now that she is settling in. From what I am being told she is starting to socialize and making new friends. So far no complaints about the food so she is eating well. The staff is friendly and helpful and on both sides, we have good and open communication. Anytime i have been there it has been clean and smells good.

Alyssa, The Phenomenal

[Removed] was phenomenal! She contacted me several months in a row based on a referral from A Place for Mom. I eventually told her that I thought that the Birches was too far away, and we made final plans to move my mom into another community. I was wrong about the distance, and we lost valuable time. When my dad, sister, and I visited the community at the last minute, we loved it right away. I emailed [Removed] sometimes three or four times a day with questions during the three weeks before my mom became a resident. She always answered promptly and comprehensively. Without [Removed] help and guidance, my mom would be living in a different community. [Removed] is the best and is definitely an asset to The Birches!!!

Tour Was Nice

We had a pleasant tour of this community. Everyone was very kind. The community was very nice, and clean. The staff was kind, and answered my questions. However after assessing my mother, and her needs. They determined that she wasn't a good fit for their community. I did find another community that suited our needs better.

Peace of mind

We wanted to comment on our family's experience with the Birches over the last 9 months. My father entered the Birches after leaving Arbor Square when he needed more care with some memory issues and medication management. The bright spot for us was the excellent level of attention and care he received in the "daybreak" area. We always felt confident that we was well cared for by a friendly and compassionate staff. It would be tough to single out any one of the caregivers because they were all excellent with Dad and we felt fortunate to have so a good team looking after him, which gave us peace of mind. We were impressed that everyday the residents were dressed and out of their room in the common areas with activities to help the time go by each day. Special thanks to the exceptional daybreak care team for all you do each day and every day.

Not a bad community

The staff at this community are nice and efficient. The community is clean. We did not really like the food. I did not like the layout of my husband's room The community is set up like a circle and there was not a lot of places for him to walk around. The residents I met were friendly.

Many Thank You's To A Caring Community!!!

There are not enough words to express my gratitude for the care my father receives at The Birches. His journey has been one of many health concerns and each time our family works through the process of dad's decline The Birches have been proactively supporting us while caring for his needs.

This thank you and recognition goes specifically to the nursing staff at The Birches. While our family was dealing with another one of those moments with dad, one of the many caring nurses communicated with our dad in such a caring way. Yes, she recognized our presence but most important she stood by him, spoke directly to him, and reassured him directly so not to minimize his importance.

Dad may be declining but at The Birches he not only receives care he receives dignity. Thank you to each and every person who works at The Birches you are truly a caring team and you are all appreciated.

My parents short stay at the Birches

I moved my mom and dad to the Birches across the country to Pennsylvania. My mother's illness was much more advanced than originally thought. I was having issues getting feedback from the hospital once she was admitted. The staff at the Birches helped me and also advise me on the next steps when my mother needed to be admitted to hospice. I brought my father home for a couple of days so we can deal with my mother's hospital/hospice stay together. One staff member was so worried to see my father leaved and was very concerned he wasn't happy with his care. My father assured him that we had tough decisions ahead and needed to be around family for a couple of days. My father loved the staff there and they treated him very well.

The Birches

I will soon celebrate a year living in this facility. I have found all areas covered to be more than adequate. As with any similar facility there are times when residents need to be more aware of their surroundings and report problems when they see them. Any deficiencies I have reported have been promptly corrected.
The maintenance staff is very good and work orders are carried out in a reasonable amount of time.
Activities are many and varied. They strive to cover a great range of interests so all residents are continually challenged to do better as far as memory and mobility are concerned,
The menu provided is varied. The Chef meets with residents once a month and listens to suggestions. Many suggestions have been implemented, and changes made for the satisfaction of the residents.
The Senior Staff also are open to suggestions and consider changes when they are beneficial for all.
I have been happy with the services here.

Couldn't Ask For A Better Place

I couldn't have asked for a better community to move my father to. This is a wonderful community and I am very pleased with everything they have done for us. The community is clean and looks great. He goes to a few activities through out the week and he really enjoys the activities. He said the food is okay but it could be better. They are caring for my father very well and I would recommend this community.

the Birches at Arbour Square is exactly what I was looking for for my father. I couldn't be happier!

The Birches at Arbour Square - Harleysville, PA

Everything here is great! The staff is very good. The staff cares for my wife very well + feel confident when she is in their care.

Wonderful place!

Our experience with The Birches of Arbour Square has been wonderful! The staff here is friendly and professional, and they've really worked with us and been a huge help throughout the whole process! They really get to know each of their residents as an individual.
They've got all sorts of awesome amenities and activities they provide, as well! They jokingly told us that my parents might not have time for us anymore, but they weren't kidding! My parents are so engaged and involved with the community that sometimes it can be hard to catch them in their room! They also do a great job with the food, it's high quality and there are plenty of choices!
We're also very pleased with the level of care that they provide. They've done a great job handling my Dad's memory care needs, and Mom finally feels like she can relax because all of the day to day medication and care concerns are handled.
Really the only complaint I have is that they don't go on outings/bus trips quite as often as they implied, but it may just be a little slow now due to lack of interest from the residents based on the weather and time of year.
Overall it is a wonderful place and we're so glad we found it! I would highly recommend it to anyone looking into senior care in the area!

So far it's been great. She really enjoys it.

So far it's been great. She really enjoys it. No complaints, about food or staff, or anything whatsoever. The billing has been smooth and easy. We have been very pleased so far. I would definitely give them a five.

Well Known and Respected

The Birches is so well known and respected. The staff is excellent. They care for you mentally and physically. You will sense it in the atmosphere.

like to see the staff try a little harder to engage her

I know that with the cleanliness they could be better at The Birches of Arbour Square. When I go into her place the toilet isn't always that clean. There are just a couple of things like that. She does like the food there. The only think is I think if we could get her out of her room a little more that would be good. She only goes down for breakfast and dinner. I would like to see the staff try a little harder to engage her. Overall the experience has been good.

Gretchen Vakiener

Thanks so much for taking the time to review The Birches at Arbour Square. Cleanliness is important to us and we know how important it is to you as well. We will work with our housekeeping team to immediately correct the situation. In addition, please don’t hesitate to contact the Executive Director or the Environmental Services Director with any future concerns you may have.

The concern about your mom coming out of her apartment is very important. While we must respect our residents’ right to choose whether or not to participate in community events, we also know how important socialization is to the overall well-being of our residents. We sometimes hear that a resident has told their loved ones that there is nothing going on. While we have lots of activities going on at the Birches (entertainment, exercise, music, movies, games, etc.), we sometimes have to partner with the children of our residents to get their loved ones to participate. We also take suggestions from our residents and families as to the kinds of activities we offer. Our goal is to see things from the resident’s perspective, figure out what may be holding them back, and encourage them to get more involved.

Life is a bowl of Cheeries!

Since Mother's arrived at The Birches, she seems to have found a very pleasant situation. Fortunately, even at 100 years old she still manages to take pride in her well-being and expresses her gratefulness to those who look after her personal needs. The nursing staff and management are very obliging, yet it is very important as a family member or friend of the resident to stay in touch and watch for changing in health or attitude, being it to the attention of those in charge. As we all move forward in insure our loved ones welfare, we must continue for seek financial guidance to insure longer term support. The reality is that for many, the money may run out before the resident does. So, it is important to the healthcare providers to have the family seek alternate resources. But for now, Life is a bowl full of CHEERIES!

Perfect fit for mom

My mother has been at Birches for several months now and I can't tell you how pleased I am at the care she is receiving. The facility is very neat and clean, the staff is courteous, thoughtful and extremely helpful and my mother raves about the food! The whole experience of transitioning my mother from her home of 63 years to The Birches was, with the help of the staff at Birches, a wonderful experience and certainly less traumatic than I'd ever imagined it would be. My mother is socializing, partaking in some of the numerous activities that are available, and taking advantage of this beautiful facility and all it has to offer. My mother is happy, well taken care of and able to enjoy this phase of her life.

Great Care

I really do not have any areas of improvement to suggest here. We liked this place because it was close to home, and the fact that they offer the right level of care for my loved one's particular needs. It's great that they have a speech therapist, as well as occupational and physical therapists. As for the actvities, they seem well suited for the majority of the residents. Also, the activities director has set up bus trips where the residents can just go out for a ride and enjoy the nice scenery. It's in a great location and there's pretty farm land and fields to look at.

Good job, overall

We're very satisfied with the service here, I feel like they do a good job overall. It is a nice looking facility, and they always keep it very clean. The staff have always been very friendly and professional, and provide good care. I also think they do an excellent job with the activities, and keeping the residents involved and active.

A very nice community

This was one at the top of our list, and very similar to the one we ended up choosing, although this was not as conveniently located for us. This place had a great atmosphere, and felt more like a nice hotel than an "institution". It has both assisted living and memory care, which was good, as it meant the community was more active, and Mom was not quite ready for a memory care only facility.

Very accomodating

It was fine, my dad was a little agitated because of the other guests, the way the women acted and things like that. They wanted to really directed him he didn't really have time to adjust but after that he was okay, you just cant tell him what to do.
They were very accomodating once in awhile i had to coach them on cleaning his room and I had to remind them to do it a couple of times. I tried when I was there to get him to go and see some of the performances that were up on the balcony but it really depended on his mood. He had a nice sized room, they did provide us with a dresser and very adequate closet space. They did offer to let us bring our own bed but it was a lot easier to just use the ones they had there.

Liked it very much

Liked it very much

Staff helpful. Rooms small and pricey

Staff helpful. Rooms small and pricey

Not yet ready to make a move but this...

Not yet ready to make a move but this is high on our list

This place is beautiful, very nice pe...

This place is beautiful, very nice people and facility is very clean

I toured the facility and was impress...

I toured the facility and was impressed with the staff, especially the management, and accomodations.

Good price for services. Facility was...

Good price for services. Facility was single hallway, which i thought was a little dark and confining. Rooms were huge.

very positive feel here. bright, frie...

very positive feel here. bright, friendly, organized. Director was very informative. Had info we had not thought of previously for possible Veteran's benefits and rehab option at Grand view.

Living Well means living here! The care and support from our staff at The Birches enables residents to stay active and enjoy life!
Need assistance with daily tasks such as bathing, dressing or medication management? At The Birches at Arbour Square Assisted Living Community in Harleysville, PA, you'll find all the services you need to live a healthy and happy life.

The month-to-month lease includes three meals daily served in the dining room, housekeeping and laundry services, social events and transportation to local outings and appointments plus 24-hour personal care assistance. Located within the community is Daybreak at The Birches, a secure neighborhood designed for those with memory-impairing illnesses such as Alzheimer's Disease. Residents in this area receive all the amenities of assisted living along with specialized care and programs. Also located on the same campus is Arbour Square Independent Living Community.

The retirement communities at Arbour Square have no buy-in or entrance fees, long-term leases or hidden costs. Call today to find out more about the services provided by The Birches at Arbour Square!