The Atrium, A Choice Community - Johnstown, PA

Best staff ever!

Activities only happen in the morning. I am not a morning person. We have never had an activity off location. There has never been a therapy animal visit even though I have begged for it. I can't regulate the temperature in my room. Today the heat coming out of my wall heater was 140 degrees and the heater was too hot to touch. The meals are awful. Everything is too salty and frequently our meal choice is a hot dog or hamburger. They put oregano and about a pound of salt in every soup or stew. Chicken soup with green beans and lima beans? There are no birthday celebrations. For example; they could give everyone a cupcake at the end of the month. If it wasn't for the refrigerator in my room I would starve. I went out and bought Clorox cleaner for my bathroom to get rid of the mold in the toilet and tub. The staff is awesome. I have never met nicer harder working people. Almost no one else to talk to.

Sherri [Removed] was excellent. Facility was clean and well maintained. The location is not ideal for my family's needs but that certainly is no reflection on the care and kindness of the staff.

organization skills need to be improved

Their organization skills need to be improved at The Atrium, A Choice Community. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. Other than that we have been pretty pleased with this facility. I would just like to see better communication between the staff members.

Place for independent people needing very little help.

Staffed with mostly nurses aides who are overworked have way too many residents to care for right. 22 is way too many and if questioned they blame it on the state who they say sets the standards, but neglect to tell the state so many people need more help than they have staff for. This should only be for people who can mostly care for themselves. And that is not the case some need total care..Too expensive for what residents get.
Too bad as it is a perfect place for seniors who love Johnstown,down town and that is their biggest asset.

mom is currently home after 9 days. s...

mom is currently home after 9 days. she stated that some of the nurses were pleasant to be around some were short and did not seem to enjoy there jobs much. complaining about how much they had to do. perhaps this is due to not enough employees to handle the residents. Some rooms had a strong smell of urine.

Mom is Healthy

The care services are hard for me to evaluate. I'm not close enough to make regular visits. We don't live in the same state at all so I can only stop in and see my mom every other month. I usually try to connect by phone and it's hard to rate people that way because you can't always get them when you want them. When I visit her she looks healthy, which is good. My mom does take part in the activities so they must be okay.

The Atrium, A Choice Community has been providing personal care services in the Johnstown area since 1985. We pride ourselves on providing exceptional care services and in creating and maintaining a homey atmosphere that is beautifully furnished for our residents and visitors to enjoy. Our staff of caregivers have over 132 years combined experience in senior care. We are a part of Senior Choice, Inc. a non-profit organization dedicated to providing humane nursing and personal care services to the elderly community.
We belong to the Pennsylvania Assisted Living Association.
The Atrium is located on Main Street downtown Johnstown. We have the convenience of the CAMTran bus service coming right to our door. We serve the local Johnstown and surrounding neighborhoods and nearby Somerset County. We are a member of the Johnstown Cambria County Chamber of Commerce and have won Best Place to Work in past years.
The design of our home is unique in that it was converted from a former motel years ago. We have an "atrium" sky light where the outdoors used to be, hence the name, "The Atrium". We have beautiful plants and sitting areas in the atrium corridors on the 3rd and 2nd floors. The famous Johnstown Inclined Plane can be viewed from our back patio or from inside the home.