Elmcroft of Altoona - Duncansville, PA

Very patient and hardworking staff

My Mom seems to be doing very well here. She had a hard time at first, but they were very patient with her and worked with her to make sure she’s settled and content. I’ve had lunch there a couple of times and the food is very good and nutritional. The facility is kept up with very well cleanliness wise and housekeeping comes by her room once a week to vacuum and clean the bathroom. They have a lot of activities going on during the day like bingo, games, outings, and sometimes they’ll have speakers come by to talk with the residents. They even plan parties for the holidays! I definitely recommend this place.

Understaffed and uncompassionate care

They have given us thirty day notice that my mother has to leave. They told us they would be able to take her but now they are saying she needs to leave because her care needs exceed what they can offer.We were honest about how she is before she moved in and they accepted taking her as a resident. My step father was sent to the hospital and she was upset, the staff told us that the family needed to stay with her 24/7, which is why we moved into a community because everyone works. She doesn't eat very much and they aren't doing anything to help with that. My sister came in to visit and they had given her yogurt and it had been sitting there and it was no good. We change her sheets and quilt on her bed. We visited one day and her bathroom had not been cleaned after she went to the restroom and we had to clean it up. They keep increasing my mother's medication when her behavior changes and it worries me. They don't take her to any of the activities because they don't have enough staff. They are understaffed and the nurses make all the meals and do the housekeeping. This is worrisome because they are not able to focus their attention on the care of the residents.

Megan Strothman

We are sorry to hear that this has been a negative experience for you. Our mission is dedicated to enriching the lives of the individuals who live and work with us. We take this mission very seriously and we are saddened to hear your comments. What you described in your review is certainly not indicative of how Elmcroft does business or treats their residents. We are known for our compassionate, friendly, and experienced staff who goes above and beyond for our residents. We are truly sorry you felt differently and therefore would like to apologize. With that said, we do have new management in place and we are more confident than ever that we will continue to enrich the lives of others. Again, I am sorry to hear this has been a difficult experience for you.

Elmcroft of Altoona Duncansville is nestled among the rolling hills of central Pennsylvania, where you can enjoy a panoramic view with a country feel. It is located just minutes from the world famous Horse Shoe Curve, Railroaders Museum and minor league baseball team, the Altoona Curve.