McCullough Place - Johnstown, PA

McCullough Place - Johnstown, PA has yet not published prices.

I love this place.

My husband's aunt is a resident at McCullough Place. It is beautiful, welcoming, smells fresh,and is full of joyful activity. It is exactly the kind of place where I would want to spend that phase of my life.
When you enter the foyer, you are in the heart of the home. The dining room is off to the right. Lots of laughter and conversation. You will immediately be greeted by Sheila, a wise and gentle collie. She is immaculate and it is no small feat to maintain a collie. This is one of many indications that McCullough goes above and beyond in the maintenance of every aspect of community life. The activity kitchen is to the left. April bakes cookies with residents and residents can have their own gatherings at the small tables in the kitchen. One of the things that struck me most was that the majority of residents leave their doors open and there is lots of visiting between rooms. McCullough Place has the feel of a college dormitory--full of life and laughter--rather than a place where people are at the other end of life.
My interactions with staff and leadership have been pleasant and timely. I always get an answer right away. McCullough has worked hard to accommodate my aunt.
I am grateful for my experience there.

A Homey Atmosphere

My mother is doing very well at this community. She has adjusted very well to it and they are caring for her very well. The community looks great and they keep the facility looking very clean and nice. The staff is excellent, they are very good at what they do. There are many activities for her to choose from. The food is very good and the dining area is very lovely. It has a very homey atmosphere and they are very attentive. This is a community I would recommend.

A kind heart can do special things with care

I had to place a loved one in a safe home for her own well-being. She could no longer really take care of her everyday needs, the simplest things became a real challenge to get done. She needed help and it was hard to watch her diminish each day and see her frustration when things went wrong. To see a person change right there in front of you was heart breaking and I couldn't let it go on like that anymore. I got in touch with A place for Mom. After talking to them I contacted the Dr.and explained to him what I was seeing and he checked her over and agreed with me that she needed help. We got the name's of local facilities and started looking at what they had to meet the needs of Mom. After some discussion we decided to use McCullough House. The move in process was well orchestrated and the staff was right there to help with everything. When I moved Mom's personal from her house to McCullough House, they unloaded the van and straight to work setting up her room. I could not have asked for a better team of people who treated me so kind, "What a great team of caring individual's" I was so pleased with the way the people pulled together and I offer a heart felt gratitude to each and everyone of these kind, caring loving people. The place is beautiful and well kept. Mom was very calm and did what she was asked to do, it went so well. I had to leave shortly after she was settled in as best as could be expected considering being aflected with Alzheimer's disease, but all said and done she was nice to everyone. We sat on a couch and talk about her being there and not in her house and she would ask me about when she was going to her her house. I explained to her that she had to wait and see what her Dr.had planned she said she had see him. I soon had to go. She hugged me and was taken to the dinning room for dinner.
This is a beautiful home. I haven't had a lot of time there yet, but my first impression is a good one. If you have someone you love that needs a caring, loving place, I can say at this time I'm quite taken by the overall idea of McCullough House. Best regards to you all.

Look around before choosing here

Knowing my father was going to need permenant placement my family checked around and put him in this place for a week while we went out of state. The guy who ran it named Charles was not upfront about things and didn't find out about things until we picked my father up from the week stay. He developed a bed sore on his bottom in just one week which with what I was told about the care shouldn't of happened,

Rebecca Oistad

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this valuable feedback. Please contact us at [removed] so that we may respond directly to your concern. Your trust and satisfaction is very important to us.

Daughter-in-law's Point of View

My mother-in-law is 89 years old has an ostomy bag (1 year) and needs a walker/sometimes wheel chair to get around. She was living independently until emergency surgery a year ago when her circumstances changed dramatically. She is living with us full time and we started using McCullough Place for short term respite care when we travel out of town. It has been a blessing! The staff is very accommodating to our special needs. They offer any discounts available without our asking. The rooms are clean and inviting. I highly recommend this senior care facility.
Communication is very important in "customizing" your loved one's stay in senior care. We have received honest feedback from staff after Oma's stay the last few times. This is really important, since we are all still adjusting to caring for an elderly parent.
The elderly prefer to live independently or with a family member. However, this is not always possible and can be highly stressful for everyone involved. McCullough Place has provided a much needed solution for our family in this lifestyle transition. Thank you from the daughter-in-law and primary caregiver of Oma!

good, but very expensive in my opinion

The place is clean and the staff is very friendly, but there are a few things where I feel they could improve.

One thing that I found when I was calling and getting prices is that they would give you the price of just the room and board, and did not tell you that there was another fee for care which could be just as much as the room. There were hidden fees, and I feel that they should have been more up front and transparent about the costs. It is very expensive, especially regarding the level of help and attention that mom needed. She was not as supervised as I feel that she should have been.

McCullough Place is an assisted living community located in Johnstown, Pennsylvania. We are just south of Stackhouse Park and within easy driving distance of Palo Duro Canyon and Panhandle Plains Historical Museum. We offer sightseeing trips to both of those locations as well as transportation to local stores and restaurants as well as favorite ice cream shops.

Resident care is coordinated by our full time Registered nurse according to each individual’s care plan which is created with input from the individual’s doctor and family. We accept respite care residents and patients needing urgent placement. Staff members are always on site and provide assistance with medications and other activities. We offer rehabilitation services and we coordinate care with 3rd party specialists, including home care and hospice. We are just over a mile from Conemaugh Memorial Medical center in case of emergency or serious illness.

Our apartments include both studio and one bedroom units and either is suitable for single or double occupancy. Apartments include features for both comfort and safety:

•Kitchenettes and microwaves
•Private bathroom with walk in shower and safety bars
•Storage space
•Residents are encouraged to decorate to suit their tastes
•Cleaning and laundry services
•Large picture windows
•Access to our private enclosed courtyard
•Emergency call system in both bedroom and bathroom

Nutritious meals are served in our dining room which offers a chance to socialize and enjoy wonderful food. Menus are designed by a registered dietician and include a starter choice of soup or salad, a choice of entrees and desserts. Even breakfast is made special by including favorites like cheddar egg bakes, biscuits with sausage gravy, pastries and fresh fruit.