Surprise Memory Care - Surprise, AZ

This place is immaculate

Mom gets 24hr care and I really can’t complain because everything seems to be going well. The facility has their own medical team that comes in for any needs the residents may have. I’ve eaten with her several times and the food is really good. They serve a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables and there are a few options to choose from on the menu if you don’t want what’s being served. Usually the food is cut up, but if it isn’t then it’s easy to break apart or is soft. The staff gives her showers twice a week and they’ll take her to get her hair done once a week at the in-house beauty parlor. The cleanliness of the facility is exceptional and housekeeping comes by all the time. If she’s cold they’ll go in her room and give her a blanket, if she doesn’t already have one. It’s just constant care and they really try their best. They have activities every day and they really keep the residents engaged, memory wise, all day long. They even recommend not having TVs in the residents’ rooms so they can stay engaged. However, there is a big TV room where everyone can come by and watch programs together. I’m very pleased with this place and the care they’ve been giving my Mom.

Stephanie Campbell

On behalf of the entire team at Surprise Memory Care, we would like to thank you for your glowing review of our community!

Not Recommended

I toured Surprise Memory Care while looking for living options for my mother. I wasn’t really impressed with this community. Right when I walked in, I smelled an odor like dirty laundry to put it nicely. I would not recommend this community to others for that reason.

Stephanie Campbell

We are sorry that your visit with us was less than satisfactory.
As I am sure you can appreciate, we are in the business of caring for seniors that have various issues along with their dementia. At times there are situations in which odors do occur and we address them as quickly as possible to protect the dignity of our residents.
We as the owners and operators of Surprise Memory Care hold a high standard to the cleanliness and maintenance of our communities and hope that you would consider a second visit with us.
To that end, we wish you the best in your search for the best place for your mother.

Very Expensive

I absolutely loved this place if I could have afforded it I would have placed by mom here but they were so expensive it wasn't an option. The community inside and out was just lovely. The staff was amazing very nice and answered all of our questions on the tour.

Great tour,seemed happy and peaceful. One of the residencies we are considering for our mom.

Stephanie Campbell

Thank you for touring and reviewing our community! Your feedback helps us grow.

Tough choice that so far looks right

Combination of things that led me to choice of admission for my wife and loving soulmate. It had become clear to me that, as primary caregiver, sustainability at our home carried risks & impacts that made me pursue options for change of direction. Frankly, EDM at SPMC was the difference maker.
Real person, understanding, provided reasons why SPMC. So far (only been a month), the expectations set have been met or exceeded on, well, just about everything! What SPMC cannot do is fix a hole in my heart that my soulmate is no longer here with me 24X7, but on the flip side SPMC is keeping my "jewel" safe, giving me a chance to come back from living on 'PLUTO' for quit some time and wondering if I could make my way back to sanity, and without a doubt my/our goal to be able to continue to share "moments" together in the future looks bright and I cannot think of a better place where this wonderful wife of mine could be! Hats off to staff at SPMC, [Removed] was right, they are special! p.s. sreened close to 10 places, did deep dive analysis of 3.

Stephanie Campbell

Thank you for your review of Surprise Memory Care, we appreciate the challenge many families are faced with when making the decision to, and where to, place their loved ones. We thank you for your choice in allowing us to care for your precious "Jewel!”

Mom's New Home

I like the care from this community for my mom. The community is very clean and we like the environment. The menu is appealing and she seems to like the variety. My mom likes the freedom of being able to adjust to her new surrounding. I'm happy to see that my mom's room is big and she is comfortable in this new environment. We recommend the care and value of this community to other families.

Stephanie Campbell

Thank you for your review of Surprise Memory Care, we appreciate all of your wonderful comments about our community!

Fails at respite care

Banner Del Webb hospital recommended surprise memory care for my mother's respite care.. Mom definitely has memory problems, but she was not as in need as most of the residents here. She was aware that we had to leave her to return to Georgia to prepare for her move. When I returned a week later to get her, I arrived around 4:30 in the afternoon. Her room was stifling hot. The stock photos were misleading. Mom's room was a twin bed, no TV, no art, and although she was expected to only a short time, there was no equipment on site for her to use. She weighed 120 pounds in the hospital, and a week later she was 115 fully clothed. She was dirty, some of her clothes were missing, the shelves with her supplies were in disarray, her personal hygiene was awful. I asked that afternoon for her to be showered for her flight the following morning. At 9 AM she was dressed in some of the clothes from the day before. And she smelled distressingly bad. I tried to follow up during her stay about her physical therapy. One person came out to evaluate her, but according to login charts, she never had any actual therapy. For the same $175 a day charge, her respite care in Georgia was 180° better with a full-size bed, places to sit, a small TV, a kitchenette, and a small balcony, and actual physical therapy. I spoke with the Surprise administrator who was surprisingly defensive. She said that scales will vary in accuracy and that she could do some follow up, but had a meeting the next day. She also said she would have the on-site nurse called me the next day. If I was called, no message was left. It's about a week later, and I'm too busy relocating my parents to follow up with phone calls, thus the lengthy review. I will agree that surprise memory care is a beautiful facility, very clean, and most of the staff seemed professional. It may be a fine place for long-term residents, however, they have a long way to go on respite care and I cannot recommend them.

Stephanie Campbell

Surprise Memory Care would like to thank you for your feedback and we will be sure to look into each of your comments further. We strive to always exceed our residents expectations but know that there is always room to improve. If you would like to discuss further please contact us at [removed].

My brother's happy home.

This is a excellant community for my brother. He is improving and I am very pleased. He is happy with being with other reside. The staff are always keeping me updated on his progress. The community is clean and the menu is outstanding. He is activie with the other residents. We would highly recommend this community for other famiies for the outstanding care and value of this community.

Stephanie Campbell

Thank you for your review of Surprise Memory Care, and for the opportunity to care for your brother. He has been such a joyful addition to our community. We are continually adding new activities to our program and appreciate your feedback!

The Respite Experience

On my tour of other facilities I liked the way this was set up and looked. The community has different wings based on their stages. It looked more nice and it was clean. I thought the facility was great and the staff were great too. My stepdad was well taken care of during his respite.

Stephanie Campbell

Thank you for reviewing Surprise Memory Care. It was a pleasure to care for your Step Dad, and we look forward to future visits.

Industry Professional

I have recently visited an event at Surprise Memory Care and saw the staff interaction with the residents. It is very refreshing to know there are people who truly love what they do and love serving our senior population. I would recommend Surprise Memory Care to anyone looking for a kind, compassionate, caring staff and clean, safe, warm atmosphere.

Stephanie Campbell

Thank you for visiting, reviewing and recommending Surprise Memory Care! We do truly love our residents and enjoy each and every day with them. With each new resident added to our community, our home grows a little bigger.

One of my top Choices in Communities!!

I had taken a look at this community with my husband for my mother in law and it was defiantly one of our top choices for her. They had a beautiful dinning room and lots of space for all of the residents to fit comfortably. They also offered a great memory care program and had lots of caring staff that working for them in that department, This property was one of our favorite out all of the different places we had looked at it just did not work out for my mom to go there.

Stephanie Campbell

Thank you for touring and reviewing Surprise Memory Care. We value any feedback you can give to help us maintain the best care and environment for those needing Memory Care.

Comfort for dad!!

My father is doing great since his move to the Surprise Memory Care. My mother really likes how clean and bright the place is. My father has access to outside without assistants. The outside is a circle and we like that because my father likes to walk, and can walk around as he pleases. The meals provided are great, when we had a meeting I really liked what the nutritionist had to say.

Stephanie Campbell

Thank you for taking the time to review Surprise Memory Care, we appreciate your feedback! Our entire community layout, from the inside loop to the exterior courtyards were intentionally designed with consideration to our residents' needs and to help maintain their independence.

Good Tour!

My tour of the Surprise Memory Care went well. The place was clean and organized. The problem for us was that they have 2 residents per room. We wanted a more private setting for my mother. Also, they provided the furniture. My mother was not ready for that.

Stephanie Campbell

Thank you for touring at Surprise Memory Care, we are happy to offer both Private and Shared suites with the option of bringing in your personal furniture. We appreciate your feedback and would love to talk to you if we could be of further assistance. Please call Kerri at [removed]

Great Care

We are very happy with the care at this community. We have found the staff to be very caring and helpful. The community is clean and taken care of. The food is good and a variety. We are very happy to see the activities that are offered. Families would be happy with the care and value here.

Stephanie Campbell

Thank you for your review of Surprise Memory Care. We value your feedback and aspire to provide the best activity program in the valley! We welcome any and all suggestions to aid in our growth.

Thank heavens we found here!

My loved one is really enjoying this community and the staff. My loved one has been able to do mostly the same things that she did when at home. My loved one loves the socialization and the area. We really have to thank our lucky stars that we found such a great place.

Stephanie Campbell

Thank you for taking the time to review Surprise Memory Care. We are proud to offer unique programming that focuses on highlighting our residents’ remaining abilities by providing social opportunities amongst groups of peers at the same stage.

Surprise Memory Care is a memory care community in Surprise, Arizona that provides a home away from home for your loved one. Avenir's Memory Care Program believes that "What remains is far more important than what is lost." Our unique approach to memory care highlights our residents remaining abilities and places residents in groups of peers based on cognitive ability. Years of research shows that the environment in which memory impaired individuals live is crucial to improving quality of life issues inherent with the disease progression. Research also identifies that memory-impaired adults do far better in smaller living environments when placed with their peers of similar cognitive ability. Our community allows our residents the freedom to visit their neighbors and enjoy large, secured outdoor areas. Avenir's Memory Care program is tailored to each individual’s abilities and needs. We focus on helping your loved one succeed in use of their remaining abilities, by encouraging them to connect with the things they can do, rather than reminding them of those they cannot – creating success stories one small victory at a time.