Sunshine Villa Senior Living- Santa Cruz, CA

Highly recommended!

I am happy with Sunshine Villa so far. My father seems to be doing very well. The staff is nice and everyone is very helpful. They have a lot of activities available and the meals are pretty good. The facility is clean and does not smell. It has been a positive experience.

5 Star First Class Assisted Living and Memory Care and so much more!

5 Star First Class Assisted Living and Memory Care and so much more!

My mother has lived at Sunshine Villa for several years and she is thriving! My brother and I were reluctant to relocate mom from her Condo to assisted living but it was the best decision we ever made for her care and happiness. From our first meeting with [Removed] and [Removed], we felt like a solution had been found and we were no longer in crisis mode. My mother had taken a fall while alone in her Condo and fractured her lower back. While she was on the mend, [Removed] and [Removed] assured us that the staff and community of Sunshine Villa would take great care of her.

We could not be happier nor more impressed by the level of care and professionalism that is provided at Sunshine Villa. As you walk into “ the Villa” you are greeted by a wonderful receptionist who has a watchful eye on who enters or leaves the premises. Your eyes are soon filled with the glow from a cozy fireplace in a library filled with antique sofa chairs and countless books to choose from. Tea, coffee, lemonade and snacks are always available. The dining room is nicely decorated and provides 3 hearty meals each day with a variety of selections. Residents may also order off a menu. The dining room servers are so well trained and polite-top notch!

There is a private dining room with antique furniture and china available for families to use at any time for private gatherings. Beyond the library there are lovely nooks and crannies to enjoy and a beautiful outdoor garden and sitting area. On the third floor is the nurse station. If mom ever has any medical issues, within minutes of calling I have reached a medical staff member. A nurse will check in on mom and promptly provide pertinent updates to me. A phone call from Sunshine Villa always starts with “Kim, your mom is fine”, another testimony to the professional training the entire staff receives.

If your senior enjoys keeping an active schedule, the activities coordinator provides a unique daily repertoire of activities. A schedule is sent to the family each month so you can remind your loved one to get out there and enjoy an event. Scenic drives, museum visits, luncheons, stretching, happy hours, art classes and bingo are just a few of the many activities that seniors may choose from. They will even send one of their sweet staff members to remind residents of an activity they were planning to attend. Staff check in on residents in their private living quarters throughout the day which is yet another layer of assurance that our mom is well cared for.

If you are looking for the very best care for a family member, please consider Sunshine Villa. It provides a loving community in a safe environment that feels like a home, bright and cheerful.

Review of Sunshine Villa Senior Living- Santa Cruz, CA

They do such a great job with the show and tell and it looks like a wonderful place for my friend however she balked at the 6000 non-refundable deposit. A beautiful place for anyone who has just a bit more money.

Sunshine Villa was super. The experience was great.

Sunshine Villa was super. The experience was great.

Caring Staff

All of the staff members at the Sunshine Villa facility are taking really good care of my loved ones. It was a little daunting in the beginning, but everything went smoothly moving in and it is going well now.

really good about getting her involved

Sunshine Villa isn't perfect but it's pretty good. The value is good. Nana has been doing chair exercises and going on scenic tours. They are really good about getting her involved. The only complaint I have is nana hasn't been there very long and they have already lost 2 black pants in the wash. The housekeeping needs a little more organizing. I just think there are some different strategies they could use to keep up with everything better. Also sometimes nana complains about the service in the cafeteria being too slow. Other than that she loves everything about this facility.

Mom is here. Satisfied with room, services. Unfortunately, too expensive for our budget. [pricing removed] She doesn't require all the amenities; she doesn't express any interest in enjoying them after regular, gentle encouragement.

Blue Harbor

Thank you for taking the time to review your mom’s experience living at Sunshine Villa.

We’re so happy to hear you and your family are satisfied with our rooms and services.

Should your mom desire an adjustment to her current services or amenities, we’d be happy to speak with you regarding a tailored preference plan. If you’d like to discuss this possibility, please contact Teri Cilley-Kruzic.

Unfortunately, not sooooo happy with Sunshine Villa beware before you put your loved one here.

These people are corporate through and through. Our mom is there now and she complains about Sunshine Villa always being short-handed with caregivers. They don't train the new caregivers enough because they have a high turnover and the new people don't know what the old caregivers used to do. This leaves my mom having to tell new people over and over how she has to have things done.
Sunshine Villa will nickel and dime you to death. They raise their rates yearly and then they have this point system that they are constantly adding to the points so that they get even more money out of you monthly.
The food is not good. For the amount of money my mom is paying you should be eating like you are out at a fancy restaurant and not at a school cafeteria. I never see any fresh fruit or vegetables -everything is canned.
When you have a problem the staff just sugar coats their answers. They never give you any real reasons just excuses. We are looking for alternatives now for my mom and will move her as soon as we find a more suitable care facility.

Blue Harbor

We appreciate your thoughtful opinions on the care administered at our community. Each of our caregivers, administrators, and other members of staff are dedicated to the well-being of our residents so we are disheartened to hear of your disappointments. However, we are always open to feedback as it helps us better serve our residents and strengthen our community. We will pass on your comments to our team. Please reach out to us at our main line should you have further feedback for our team.

Well we had a rough start at the beginning with getting the schedule with the medication because it was a quick move in, but after that everything seems to be going very well.

Blue Harbor

Thanks for taking the time to review your family member’s experience with our community. We’re glad to hear that your family is pleased with services after the initial transition. Please let us know if you have further feedback.

great amenities and wonderful staff

They have really great amenities and wonderful staff at Sunshine Villa. I have had a few small issues with their billing, but they have been able to get worked out ok. Overall it has been a very positive experience and I would recommend them.

Blue Harbor

We appreciate your review of our community and your feedback regarding our billing processes. We will be sure to pass your comments along to the team. Should you have any other feedback for us, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our Executive Director, Teri Cilley-Kruzic.

wonderful place. staff was very helpful, beautiful clean rooms, and outside areas. too high cost for us, and no memory care room available yet, but will definitely want mom here if we can manage it.

Blue Harbor

Thanks for your thoughtful commentary on your visit to our community. We pride ourselves on both our accommodations and our quality assisted living and memory care services. If we can help to answer any questions about our community, or our memory care services specifically, please reach out by calling us. We’d be happy to speak to you further.

Sunshine Villa rates 4.5 stars overall.

Maureen Hanagan is so efficient, friendly, and encouraging. She's the perfect choice for the initial visit to Sunshine Villa. We actually preferred Aegis in Aptos to Sunshine Villa, but cost prevented us from moving there. I think, though, that the level of care vs caring about money is higher at Sunshine Villa. Sunshine just seemed a little bit down-trodden. However, we're excited to have the opportunity to live there. The organization of their kitchen staff is impressive too.

Nice looking place

We toured this community when we were looking into care options for a loved one. I thought this was a nice place overall, it was a nice clean community and the staff were friendly. However, I didn't think my loved one would have been as comfortable here as others we looked at. It felt a bit too formal, and other than a small courtyard there weren't many options for outdoor walking.

I have just been thrilled with them.

I have just been thrilled with them. Everyone is so nice, and attentive to my mom. It's very clean, and we are so happy with them. They have done everything they said they would. They have done a great job.

So far, so great!

Everything here has been great so far! My loved one is really enjoying her time here! She hasn't complained once, which is a good sign! I couldn't have picked a better place for my loved one. After being here for a little while, she has become more of my mom than she has been in years. The staff has been wonderful, and then call me when I need to be called. So far, so great!

Beautiful facility. Profess...

Beautiful facility. Professional staff. Residents looked happy, engaged.

# 3. overall: within 4 minu...

# 3. overall: within 4 minutes drive of my house. Everyday visits very easy to manage. Aging in place as well as hospice available. Memory care unit seemed busy as I visited at lunch. Lots of activities nearby, restaurants, music, museum. More diversions easily available for Mom while they matter due to the downtown location. This is a busy facility with lots of activities offered. Staff seem plentiful but less personable as a whole than Aegis of Aptos. Mom's dog could visit regularly, but the walking path is rather small. There is a nice amount of sun and shade in the outdoor area. The whole living facility is built in the round so it is harder to get lost. Visiting health care regularly. Staff is switching from loud walkie talkies to quiet headsets to communicate with each other. Good thing! Parking lot is always full. In addition to assisted living and memory care there is a third option that has been developed. They have found that some folks not quite ready for the memory care unit but needing more help seem to thrive in a small social group that spends its days together with a supervisor but not in the more restrictive memory care. Some space available currently.

I Would Never Recommend Sunshine Villa

We were extremely disappointed with Sunshine Villa. We went in and placed my mom there. They did an interview process and it seemed to be okay. She was put in the assisted living even though she should have been in memory care. They didn't have room so they put her in the assisted living. She was left to her own devices with things that she wasn't able to do herself. My mother was supposed to be reevaluated in two weeks but before that we got a call and we were given 5 hours to remove my mother from the place. We had nowhere for to put her. They were very cold and rude about it. I called everyday to see how my mom was doing and I could never get through to anybody and never got a call back. I would never recommend it to anybody to go there.

Listening. Serving. Caring. These things matter to you, and to us. At Sunshine Villa, we offer more than just a beautiful place to live with breathtaking ocean views. We offer a lifestyle that is full of experiences and opportunities with just the right amount of assistance to help you make the most of it. Located on Beach Hill within walking distance of the Santa Cruz Wharf, beach and boardwalk, Sunshine Villa is a beautiful Victorian historic landmark that has been serving the residents of the area since 1990. We only hire the most compassionate, skilled professionals to care for our residents and when you come for a visit you’ll notice the difference right away.

Assisted Living

Assisted Living at our community is for those who want to celebrate their independence but may need help with activities of daily living such as cooking, cleaning and household maintenance. Our highly-skilled staff provides the attentive care needed, while leaving a multitude of options to fill the rest of their day. Every resident enters with a differing need for care. Some just need a little help with day to day tasks and others need the companionship and assistance of an experienced caregiver or physical therapist. Whatever the level of care required, it is provided based on the choices, needs and interests of each individual resident.

Memory Care

Our specialized memory care program provides the highest quality care to our residents who are facing Alzheimer’s Disease or other related dementias. Our uniquely designed neighborhood promotes safety, security and well-being while offering life-enriching programs to our residents on a daily basis. We care about the personal story of each of our residents and our dedicated care staff ensures that each resident receives the highest quality personal care possible. Our activity staff continually develops and promotes programs that are intended to stimulate the senses and remind each resident that they are a part of a loving, engaging community.

Respite

Subject to availability, a short-term stay in one of our fully-furnished respite apartments is a great way to experience our community lifestyle. A full social calendar, three restaurant-style meals each day, transportation and use of all of our beautiful common areas and amenities are just some of the things that our respite guests enjoy during their stay. Our Respite Program is also a great resource for rest and recovery. After a stay at a hospital or rehabilitation center, a helping hand may still be needed to get through the day. We offer on-site physical therapy services to help you maintain your strength and endurance as well as evaluate your safety as you recover. Our community offers all the privacy, care and services needed to help get you back on your feet.