Sunrise of Paoli - Malvern, PA

Cannot recommend this facility

Sunrise just doesnt' have the correct number of staff to provide the proper care for it's residents. Wait time is long for response to personal needs. Up to 30 minutes for assistance to the restroom. Many care takers with poor attitude. Not friendly to family memebers. Food is mediocre. Carpets are dirty. Resident bathroom has mold in the shower. Cannot recommend this facility

Sunrise Senior Living

Options for a loved one

We were at this time for a short period of time. We found that the staff did not respond when they were needed for care. The community needs improvements in the areas of being available for the residents when needed. We would not be able to recommend this community. Families might want to see for them selves for the care of a loved one.

Good, Safe Facility

So far the experience is going well for my father with his move to this community. I do feel comfortable with his move here. He is safe, and in good hands. They have a good staff, and they have been taking good care of him, and his needs. So for this community is moving in the right direction for us, and I would recommend it.

Short term stay for my wife with multiple sclerosis. Rooms are nice. Food is fair. Activities are good.

Sunrise Senior Living at Paoli is a great facility. Common areas were well-maintained. Meals may be eaten in the dining room or delivered at no charge to resident apartments. The infrastructure is impressive including transportation to/from grocery store and outings, 16-hours per day of on-site nursing staff, medical assistance staff on-site during the 8 nighttime hours that nursing staff isn't present, appeared to have the most favorable staff-to-resident ratio of those senior living facilities that I have toured and very flexible laundry services (daily if necessary) at no-extra charge. Transportation to/from medical appointments is not provided. Transportation to a church service is only provided for those that wish to attend a nearby Roman Catholic Church. No transportation to Protestant, Jewish, etc. services. Resident rooms are a very good size (whether studio or one-bedroom) when compared to the quite small resident spaces provided at other senior living communities. Views from resident apartments range from very, very nice to downright beautiful. The staff appeared to be exceedingly friendly and committed to their work. Rates are not charged per month but are charged per day...that is a good thing, in my opinion. From my perspective, the ample size of resident apartments coupled with an impressive staff/facility infrastructure makes this community an excellent choice.

We like it!

The place was nice and the people that I worked with were great. Victoria was very professional and very nice. The property was clean and neat. Everything was excellent we really like everything that is going on here.

It's going good!

The program is doing a good job with my wife. The activities that they do keep my wife active. The staff is great and they are really nice and friendly to me and my wife. The only challenge that we have is getting my wife to go to the program.

We Had A Good Visit

I took a tour here and it was a nice place. The memory care unit was a bit bigger than what we wanted. We were looking for a smaller facility to not cause confusion.

Review of Sunrise Senior Living of Paoli - Malvern, PA

Facility was clean and new looking. Victoria was very gracious and did a wonderful tour with us. One thing lacking is the level of care that my mother will require - skilled nursing and sub-acute rehabilitation.

I would recommend them.

This was a nice place. It was clean and the staff was friendly. They were attentive, and caring, but I don't think assisted living was right for us. It just wasn't a good fit for us, but I would recommend them.

They are doing a great job.

They are doing a great job. We do not have any concerns at this time.

My experience with Sunrise Paoli

I didn't know the first thing about elder care options other than we could no longer safely care for my Mom in her home. Options included full/part-time home care, various levels of assisted living, and possibly eventual nursing care. Upon learning that A Place For Mom only referred "participating" providers and that those providers paid APFM for successful placements, I was skeptical about their recommendations.

I visited several of the recommended providers as well as sites in our area that were not referred by APFM. Discussing my experiences with the APFM advisor, non-referred providers were clearly discouraged. They seemed to favor Sunrise Senior Living.

It turned out that their focus on Sunrise was well founded. My visit to one Sunrise site raised my level of appreciation for their dedication to their residents. Several clandestine observations of caregivers interacting with residents convinced me that they have a skill in selecting and/or training their staff to be warm, kind, friendly and dedicated to the residents. Other observations included clean, safe, and appealing facilities that complemented the level of care.

Out of convenience we chose the Paoli site which was equally well appointed and staffed. Mom would have preferred to finish out her life at home, but understood the absolute need for 24-hour care and assistance. She lived at Sunrise Paoli for a total of about 8 months before passing. During her time there, she required increasing levels of support which was promptly and proficiently given while maintaining a strong level of communication with me. Her increasing need for medical attention was well addressed and Sunrise provided assistance with the procurement of support equipment and eventual hospice care. I can only say that when Mom passed my grief was tempered by the reassuring feeling that I had served her well by selecting Sunrise Paoli and have nothing but good feelings about the care they provided her.

Sunrise was a disappointmen...

Sunrise was a disappointment. Even though the facility is new and modern the Memory Care unit felt cluttered and confusing. We didn't find it was well laid out or warm and friendly and most of the staff appeared to be milling about rather than being organized. The rooms didn't appear to be well thought out either. Each room in the Memory Ward had a small kitchenette. We wondered about the use and safety of such an area in Memory Care. Janine conducted the tour. My sister and I agreed the tour would've been much shorter had Janine not tried so hard to appear to know every resident. Instead of us feeling at ease and comfortable we felt Janine came off fake/someone trying too hard, and left us with an uncomfortable feeling. We did not come away with a feeling of hominess or vacation like, it felt more like adult day care. There were no rooms currently available in the Memory Ward and rather than be asked if we would like our name to be placed on a waiting list it was suggested they contact a sister facility (Exton) and if they had a room we could place Mom immediately. Then if a room were to open in Paoli we could have Mom transferred to Paoli at no cost. My sister and I were both horrified by the idea. It is hard enough to make change for a dementia patient let alone plan on moving them knowing they would be moved again possibly in a month. Upon reflection I would say we felt like we were dealing with a 'Big Business' with no personalization involved.

Sunrise Senior Living

Thank you for your feedback. We would like to learn more about your experience. Please email further details to Information (at) sunriseseniorliving (dot) (com).

Finally - A Perfect Fit

My father-in-law suffers from several aggressive forms of dementia (not Alzheimer's) which renders his behavior very combative at times. Many communities would not take him, and he had 2 hospital stays and 2 different care facilities before we found Sunrise through A Place for Mom. Joanna Dunbar from A Place for Mom was phenomenal in her knowledge, friendliness, professionalism and follow-through. The staff at Sunrise Paoli is second-to-none, and we have a lot to compare them to. My father-in-law is in their secure Reminiscence area of the facility, and everyone from the Reminiscence Coordinator to the Director of Sales to the Personal Care Coordinator to the Aides have embraced his difficult situation with experience, understanding and truly personal care. We couldn't be happier.

[potential resident] Loved. 2 room su...

[potential resident] Loved. 2 room suite. 1 room too small. Went back and spent a few hours there. Poor parking. 20 min away.

We had a great visit this place is cl...

We had a great visit this place is clean and nice. We would love to live there. They allow cats and have a high skill care Reminiscents center where he could live at night and stay with Mom during the day. They don't seem to accept Medicare and so, I will investigate other Medicare homes for the short term. Sunrise does offer a temporary 30 short time visit basically allows the person to see if the place is a good fit.

Liked this Sunrise. Woman showing us ...

Liked this Sunrise. Woman showing us around was from Pittsburgh; seemed like they don't have a stable director there. LIke the Care Manager concept/continuity of care, and they said if you are not happy w/ your manager you can change. Loved the turret apt. but would have to add up costs. Do not like that there is no skilled facility on-site, but really liked their updated Memory care area and courtyard. LIked that they give dementia residents tasks to do; even making meals. LIked the baby dolls they had for women w/ dementia who remember their child-rearing days. Seemed very clean; staff seemed friendly. Did not try the food there. No Indep. living option, either.

Seriously considering. Administrativ...

Seriously considering. Administrative staff excellent and good follow up.

In elegant, residential environments, we deliver the finest in senior care, and are recognized internationally for both quality and innovation. Guided by our Principles of Service, Sunrise affords families peace-of-mind by providing today's seniors with a range of personalized personal care services. From assistance with activities of daily living such as eating, bathing, dressing to medication monitoring, Sunrise provides residents with the help they need. Residents maintain the same privacy in their new home as they enjoyed in their own home. At Sunrise, we encourage residents to challenge themselves while offering the assistance they need. We encourage family and friends to be involved, to visit frequently, and to invite residents on outings to community events. This innovative approach to senior care is designed to maintain independence and dignity, yet is balanced with the comfort and security that comes from knowing experienced help is close at hand.