Sunrise of Granite Run - Media, PA

Horrible place

Please do not send your loved one here. My mother reeked of urine every time we visited. Her room reeked of urine, even when she wasn't in the room. They promised that there would never be a time they couldn't provide the care she needed. They laughed at us when we asked if there would be a time when we might be required to provide private outide aids, saying they have never heard of such a thing. Of couse she ended up with recurring uti, and of course a bedsore. We confronted them about this, requesting they provide the services they promised. Then they sent a certified letter saying they were kicking her out in 30 days, and they would drop her off at our door. We applied to 10 other nursing homes in Delaware county, told them the care she required, all of them were interested in having her move in until they got the nursing report from Sunrise. 10 nursing homes denied her. 10 out of 10 denied after Sunrise contacted them .

A wonderful community, the staff my family and I interacted with were down to earth and caring. This is a great environment for seniors with the ability he age in place very nicely. The availability at the time was not suited to our family needs, otherwise a first choice residence.

Disappointed

This was the first senior living facility my brothers and I checked out. We only looked at one other. The sales staff were very convincing and I was very impressed with theor promises. The place is beautiful and clean, however, the memory care unit did not live up to their sales pitch and/or care plan. My dad had mid level dementia and my family had been doing 24/7 shifts at his apartment until he started falling. We feared he would hurt himself so we decided he needed professional care. We impressed on sale person the problem with dad's falling. He could out walk/run anyone, however, he began falling due to walking before he had his balance. This was discussed and we were assured they could handle this. The first week seemed fine. Until we found that he had been found in other resident 's bed sleeping. There were many times when we visited that the staff were very happy. not sure where he was. That situation was never resolved. Bottom line--my dad had no clue which room was his. We saw that clearly . The fact is the place is under staffed with people that try their best to keep things moving. I believe my family visited more frequently than most and therefore witnessed too many negative incidents with my dad and other residents. My father eventually took a fall and broke his hip. He hadn't been there a month. That was the beginning of the torturous end fir the old guy. I believe he was initially under assessed as to the care he needed. He was ambulatory when he arrived at Sunrise. On no daily meds other than medication for his dementia. Very healthy 98 year old man who up until a year prior lived in his own apartment and took care of himself. He lasted 3 months to the day from date of his arrival at Sunrise. We were very disappointed with the lack of communication between the administrators, who promised upgraded care after broken hip episode, and the actual care givers. The staff that had the job of taking care of dad were not advised of an injury that happened during hospital rehab stay and therefore hurt him everytime they had to move him, such as at bath time, bedtime.etc. he did return from rehab totally wheelchair bound and a broken shoulder. I think their sales staff should be more realistic with their sales pitches, as I am sure there are many other residents family members that truly believe what is promised. I think maybe we as a very tight knit family visited too often and saw too much. I really wish we had kept dad at his home and continued to care for him ourselves.

Sunrise Senior Living

Good Morning Petra - we’re sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience. We care deeply about the safety and well-being of our residents and staff. Please contact us at information (at) sunriseseniorliving.com so that we can learn more. –The Sunrise Team

A homey feeling

There were a few issues with showering in the beginning, however these have been resolved. The manager and the director have been helpful. There is a variety of food options, unfortunately mom does not like the food. There is always something going on. The community is clean and the grounds are nice. The friendliness of the staff helped us to decide on this community. I would recommend taking a look to see if this community would work for your loved one.

Room includes cable, phone, one assisted shower. 35% male, many vets. met a few of the men and saw two of their rooms. Level of care goes beyond most typical Assisted Living places. Very nice victorian house look and feel.

I would recommend this community

The food is not bad and they do offer a wide variety of options. They accommodate for different dietary needs. The director is wonderful and quick to respond to our concerns and questions. The staff are helpful and encouraging. The staff interact with the residents on a daily basis. Mom has started to enjoy some of the music entertainment they offer. They have two live in cats and they also bring in other animals for the residents to enjoy.

Very Friendly Staff

I had a pleasant tour of this community. Everyone was very kind, and friendly to my family, and I. The experience went well. This is a lovely community, and everything appeared to be well-kept. The staff was very friendly, and courtesy. It was a lovely tour overall.

Had a tour of the facility - it was very clean and bright. Saw the residents having lunch in both the assisted living and the memory care units and also having activities. Both of the bedrooms that I saw were brightly decorated. staff was extremely friendly.

Great option!

We had originally looked at this Sunrise location before we decided another location was more convenient for visiting. I'm very impressed by both Sunrise locations.

Everything went well while my mom was staying at this community. All the staff are wonderful. She had meals that were tasty with variety. I absolutely would recommend them my family. I picked them because they had a good value for what they provide and they had availability.

excellent staff who are very knowledgeable and take time to listen.

Too Open For Mom

This was aw nice place. The tour was good, we were treated with kindly. During the tour we noticed that it was quite big and open. It was not a good match for our mom.

This is the first place I visited, but I was very favorably impressed. The facility was clean, the patients were clean and everyone I saw looked happy. There were no unsavory odors anywhere. Staff was great. They answered all my questions and did not rush me. It was lunch time and the food smelled really good and all the folks in the dining room seemed to be enjoying themselves. I do want to visit other facilities to make a fair comparison but my first impulse is to say "this is it".

They Seemed Very Active

I had the chance to tour this community and saw that it was a lovely community. It also seemed to have a busy, active atmosphere. At the time they had no opening but they referred us to our current community. They were helpful and went out of their way.

Nice facility, undergoing update. short halls with a community feel. nice staff. A La carte menu for services.

Sunrise Senior Living of Granite Run is a nice community!

The staff are very nice and good at checking in on my wife to be sure she is taken care of. She does not yet participate in any of the variety of activities they offer. She likes the food and I would recommend this community. They keep the community clean for the residents and family.

It was just as nice as the one we did move to

We toured two Sunrise locations, and ultimately ended up choosing one of them. This was one of the two we looked at, and the only reason we didn't choose them was location and availability. It was just as nice as the one we did move to.

Review of Sunrise Senior Living of Granite Run - Media, PA

Very clean. Everyone was very friendly. Clients in the memory care unit were actively engaged and they were just getting ready to go out for lunch. We were very impressed

Very nice place!

Overall we're very pleased with how things have gone with Sunrise Senior Living! We're so happy with the service, and they take great care of our loved one. The facility is beautiful, and they've got a lot to offer the people who live here! Really the only small issue we had is that I think they could have explained their onboarding process a little better, my family likes to be involved every step of the way, and sometimes we felt like we weren't sure who to be talking to. But now that our loved one is settled in the staff are very communicative and responsive to any questions we have!

Could Have More Individualized Care

I would say that the move-in process for the Sunrise Senior Living went very smoothly for us. However, the staff could improve on more individualized care for each resident and their personalized needs.

Wonderful homey place and staff. very impressed with the activity of the clients. Can see Mother here.

Friendly and caring staff!

I think they do a very good job at Sunrise of Granite Run overall. I really like the people here, the staff really seem to care about my Mom and work hard to make sure she is comfortable. Many of their staff members are long time employees, and they really seem to enjoy the work that they do. Really the only downside I have seen is that they feel a bit short staffed. The employees are hard workers, but they just don't seem to have time to sit down with any one person for very long. But all in all I am happy we found this place, and I'd definitely recommend others take a look at it!

A Good Place for Mom

My Mom was in a nursing home previously. I feel she is much better cared for here. To specify her clothes are color coordinated, hair combed nicely, buttons properly lined up, even lipstick....she can do these herself but was not encouraged to do so at the former place. In addition the atmosphere at Sunrise Granite Run helps her to look forward to being outside of her room and look her best. The staff is friendly and caring and lets us know what she needs. She appears to look forward to her meals there and we were asked by the care manager up front what her favorite foods were. All this adds up to a better place for Mom and gives us peace of mind to know that she is being well cared for.

Great place, very friendly and caring staff

They've done a great job at Sunrise of Granite Run, my Dad loves it here. He's done a complete 180 since moving in. When we brought him here he just slept all day, and wasn't very mobile. Now he's up and alert, and very social. He even helps the staff out by helping to push other residents around in their wheelchairs!
This is a very nice looking community, the staff are friendly, and they obviously really care about their residents. They're very accommodating when it comes to requests, they switched out my Dad's refrigerator to a larger one that had a freezer without a second thought when I mentioned it.

Travelling to Granite Run w...

Travelling to Granite Run was easy from here. I found a cheerful wonderful atmosphere. I met with Erin Freed, Sales Associate,a delightful & easy person to talk to, who answered all my questions & during our tour I met some of the mannagement team members. The residents looked cared for & clean. One gentleman & his visiting friend were sitting in the dining area,near the front entrance, he had been here since November, 96 y.o. On departure,2 & 1/2 hours later,I noted him sleeping in the same chair in the dining area, alone, his friend had left. All areas were neat & tidy. I also visited the locked area were people were walking around, sitting & chatting & interacting with staff members. I did not witness any organised group activity. But did see the listings & menu for the day/week. For me the locked section, was not as comfortable as the main section. But that is just me, I cannot get used to restricted environments. I do know some people require this for their safety. But overall It seems a delightful caring facility/home. A little dust left on picture frames in the bathroom off the dining area,& under the sink area needed a little more care, cleaning. Erin told me studios/appartments are cleaned thoroughly once a week. The appartment & studio Erin showed me were well arranged,with care in floor plan taken into account. I loved their baths with water jets, I wish I had one for him at home here. Thank you all.

She likes the place.

She likes the place. While she was there she has gotten sick a few times and things that did not happen at other places. The one issue I have is that they expect way too much of the staff. They are responsible not only for the residents but they have to do the meal service. Someone may have to wait for service because the staff are waiting on tables. It's not a long wait, but it's a wait. I don't think they are understaffed, just stretched a little thin. The staff is very caring they are very nice people they are very responsive. This is more of a corporate entity and the issue seems to be a corporate one. They only have a nurse until 5 and then a med tech comes in, but they seem very responsive. They could do more with the activities department. They remember your name, and get to know you. It's a good facility I would just like to see them have a little more help.

Good Care and Lots of Activities

It's a little expensive but it's very good care. They do a lot of different things with them. They do music and games, crafts and things like that. Off the top of my head I can't think of any ways they could improve right now.

Everyone was very friendly and respon...

Everyone was very friendly and responsive.

I would recommend this community!

My father is in minimal care and I think they do a pretty good job. I'm satisfied. No complaints so far. It's very clean and very friendly. Everybody seems like they're ready to help you any way they can. I would recommend it to someone.

It's seem expensive, but relatively speaking it's in line with everything else available for the care we're getting.

My father is doing some exercise class and is looking forward to going on some of their trips in the future.

Tracy, from A Place for Mom, did a wonderful job following up.

Chocolate Chip Cookie!!

We chose Sunrise because there was plenty of staff around. The staff is really engaged in their jobs and the residents. If they were walking by and saw someone slouching in the chair they would actually go up to person and check on them not just assume they were sleeping or ignore it all together. It is a lovely community which has really good smelling food. My mothers favorite part seems to be a chocolate chip cookie that they have, she is always raving about it. They also have community pets so it is very nice and helpful to the residents. We visited 9 other communities and biggest reason we chose it was because she will not have to move if her condition gets worse.

Nice second choice.

Nice second choice.

Seemed quite hectic - much activity h...

Seemed quite hectic - much activity happening. Would have liked to have seen more actual rooms rather than just the floor plans.

Staff well-educated and very friendly...

Staff well-educated and very friendly. Building is perfect for someone who is easily confused.

Visited today and loved the place. N...

Visited today and loved the place. Nice and cozy. Cats allowed. Furnished with additional personnal items like lamps and bedding needed. 30 to 45 day temporary visits are possible.

perfect location, food was great, bea...

perfect location, food was great, beautiful facility, people very nice and caring, room sizes nice, secure facility & grounds. Dad liked the pets!!! Mom likes the activities.

Would only use this as a back-up to S...

Would only use this as a back-up to Sunrise of Westtown if we would need care for Bob in 2011 and Westtown does not have space.

In elegant, residential environments, we deliver the finest in senior care, and are recognized internationally for both quality and innovation. Guided by our Principles of Service, Sunrise affords families peace-of-mind by providing today's seniors with a range of personalized personal care services. From assistance with activities of daily living such as eating, bathing, dressing to medication monitoring, Sunrise provides residents with the help they need. Residents maintain the same privacy in their new home as they enjoyed in their own home. At Sunrise, we encourage residents to challenge themselves while offering the assistance they need. We encourage family and friends to be involved, to visit frequently, and to invite residents on outings to community events. This innovative approach to senior care is designed to maintain independence and dignity, yet is balanced with the comfort and security that comes from knowing experienced help is close at hand.