Sunrise of Unionville - Markham, ON

Room Type Monthly Range* (CAD)

Small intimate community. Staff is very attentive and well engaged with residents. Good level of care and good exercise class.
Community too small for my parents and insufficient ethnic mix. Food was average.

Sunrise of Unionville

I am quite pleased with Sunrise although they keep asking me to get other things for Dad. First it was a toilet seat riser, then a new bed and now bibs for eating. He is quite comfortable there and now that he will be getting physiotherapy I think he will progress quite rapidly into walking again. To start with they were having him participate in singing and music, which are not his thing, but have adapted his program more to his interests.

I would not recommend it

Our stay was short, and I got the feeling that this would not have worked out or been a good experience. It's a beautiful place, and most of the people are friendly, but within 3 weeks we were already having communication issues, especially with medications. The director is a very nice lady but I personally think she's too young and inexperienced. I have heard a couple of other people pulling their loved one out. It's expensive, there were belongings and tables missing. All in all I do not recommend them.

Sunrise Senior Living

A Very Good Place

He's very, very happy. He is doing wonderful. I love the facility I really do. I'm happy. It's very clean, and I never get complaints about the food, or anything like that. It really is very nice.

Warm, caring supportive.

Found ourselves in the situation of having to place both parents in care. Sunrise offered to take them both and keep them together.

The staff is very caring and go out of their way to accommodate their residents.

They are very approachable and easy to reach.

My parents are not adjusting well in spite of all that Sunrise has done to make it easier for them. Unfortunately, they are not in a position to return to their home.

Sunrise staff are supportive to the family and understand the extreme stress we are all under.

Good food, nice staff but very expensive

My mom is happy there

The food would get about a four. Sometimes I notice that the the light bulbs burn out in the rooms, and it takes a little while to get noticed. LED bulbs might be a good fix for that, and they are a money saver too. We liked the environment when we first went in. It was welcoming and warm, and I liked the location as well. My mom is happy there, which is the most important part.

Review of Sunrise of Unionville Alzheimer's / Memory Care in Markham, ON

Great place. Expensive. But on my list.

Sunrise specializes in Memory Care. On top of our team of Designated Care Managers, we also have a team of Life Enrichment Managers who are specifically hired to provide that one-to-one companionship care to our residents in the Reminiscence Neighbourhood. They perform activities specific to the likes and desires of the resident, spending time with each one on a daily basis. Sunrise practices the philosophy of “joining them on the journey”, where validation therapy is used through our Life Skills Stations and Life Skills programming.

Our building is modeled after a beautiful Victorian mansion, which many guests walk into and feel wowed with its grand, yet warm and cozy atmosphere. We embrace all of the comforts of home, from our home-cooked meals made from the freshest ingredients, to the uplifting fragrance of beautiful flowers, to the community cat & dog who offer the kind of comfort and companionship that sometimes another person just can’t provide. Our community is designed to look and feel just like your home, but with hundreds of special touches in place to make your life easier. For example, Sunrise has its layout consist of common areas, suites, and offices all mixed in together, so there is a true ‘community feel’; and Team Members wear their regular clothes with a specific Sunrise apron, so residents feel more at home.

We focus on relationship-based care. Our designated care managers form rich relationships by getting to know you and your preferences, from what time you like to wake up in the morning to your favourite meal. We are friends you can turn to at any time. This close relationship helps us make sure you receive the care you need, as soon as you need it.

Serving seniors is our calling. Our Designated Care Managers hone their skills through hands-on experience and in-depth training programs at our own Sunrise University – so each Team Member is delivering care the Sunrise way. You’ll find our joy in serving you is contagious.