Sunrise of Richmond Hill - Richmond Hill, ON

Room Type Monthly Range* (CAD)

Toured on 4/11/2018. Very busy area of Richmond Hill. Lots of traffic, not easy to get into. Could be more parking. The facility was lovely, clean. Friendly staff. Residents looked happy. New nursing staff.

Would not recommend for palliative.

My father and mother in law were both in [Removed]. My father was first and I recommended it which I feel bad for later because my mother in law was in respite due to diabetes injury that could not heal , the caregivers overlooked a injured toe and Subsequently this caused her to be admitted to the hospital . She requires a caregiver to undress her and dress her. The injury was noted by the hospital on Friday at noon. When I spoke to [Removed] questioning why the injury was not discovered when undressing her the night before or better yet when dressing her that morning there reply was "these injuries can happen quickly". Really, in 2 hrs !
As regarding there statement that they do palliative care, beware: My father was 93 in a wheelchair and only 80 lbs. but his mind was sharp , he required 3 pain killers pills a day one was at night which one caregiver when she was on duty would make him get up from bed and go and get himself ! When he was dying in palliative ...beware... there palliative is not really palliative....I discovered that the dr ordered morphine injections and [Removed] staff does NOT give needles, can u believe it, I had to administer the needles , when I first admitted him they said don't worry he can [Removed] there if he gets sick they r palliative, well I think palliative should administer pain killers !!! Even the dr on call was shocked, so after a horrible night of this the next day he ordered morphine pump. I would not recommend this home to anyone. The director [Removed] never returns calls And [Removed] in charge of the caregivers never owns up to their mistakes.

This home felt like a nursing home. The residents are at require assisted living or memory care. We did not see any independent residents. My parents need a more active, social and engaged community.

Sunrise Senior Living

We’re sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience. We care deeply about the safety and well-being of our residents and staff. Please contact us at information (at) sunriseseniorliving.com so that we can learn more. –The Sunrise Team

Sunrise Richmond Hill

My father has only been in Sunrise Richmond Hill for a short while so I'm basing my review on what I have observed so far. I needed to find a place for my dad as his health deteriorated quickly and I felt it was no longer safe for him to be alone. Sunrise provides the peace of my mind I needed and my father needs. He is socializing and already refers to other residents as his friends. He is calling Sunrise his home which means he feels welcomed and comfortable. The residence is nicely decorated and it has a lot of places where residents can sit and talk. Some of the furniture could be replaced as it looks worn but that's probably from residents walking into it with their walkers, my dad's room is clean and so is the rest of the residence. The laundry is done for him and he is happy with the speed and the service.
He is happy with the food and likes that there are a lot of choices for him.
We found all of the staff to be friendly and my dad enjoys seeing the resident dog, Balu, and cat Oreo. I can't comment too much on the activities as my dad hasn't participated in too many but from what I see during my visits there are plenty offered and something new is going on each day.
Overall, this has been a positive experience to this point. My dad was living alone until he became ill and he was doing well but being at Sunrise is great for him because he likes having someone around at all time - either to talk to or if he needs something or is not feeling well. As a family we feel welcomed when we visit.
I recommend Sunrise Richmond Hill.

The average cost of 8000-10,000/m is simply beyond their capabilities. While the room rate may range from 4-6,000, the added assisted living daily costs can exceed the cost of the room. For busy professionals and families, I would have appreciated knowing this in advance of touring a facility. Each facility I spoke with was resistant to give us full pricing information and insisted on a tour. It doesn’t matter how lovely the facility is, if the math don’t add up then a resident can’t be placed. It’s that simple. Full disclosure of the costs associated with full service memory care at the beginning would have saved everyone a lot of time.

Sunshine at Sunrise

Sunrise offers a family-feel to its residents and visitors. Staff are professional and friendly and go out of their way to make everyone comfortable. A lovely place where you can rest assured your loved one is being cared for.

Love the idea of having pets on site. Rooms were well set up for live in assistance and easy access into showers and toilets. Also having some furniture eases our burden of having to move tons of items ourselves. Really liked the large meeting areas on each floor, curved hallways which soften the institutional feel.

new to Sunrise

My cousin who is your resident receives excellent care from what I can surmise on my visits. Your nursing staff are so very competent. The PSW's assigned to her are patient and compassionate.

While she may complain, that is a facet of her illness and the shock of being away from her home for the first time in 74 years, she does realize that she is safe and cared for.

Sunrise has done very well. They have been great.

Sunrise has done very well. They have been great. There really isn't anything I would like to see improved or done better. I would give them five out of five. I don't have any complaints at all.

Sunrise of Richmond Hill is home to residents requiring assistance with daily living as well as those requiring support with Alzheimer’s or other forms of memory loss. We welcome families, friends and pets to visit regularly. Our delicious, home cooked meals, comfortable common areas, fresh flowers and our house dog and cat, all come together to create our homelike environment. Even before our residents arrive at Sunrise, each resident has their own personalized individual care plan created for them, based on the information we learned about them at their assessment. Our designated care managers carry out that care 24 hours, 7 days a week. This relationship based care offers our residents familiarity and consistency as they have the opportunity to get to know and trust their care managers. In addition, the designated care managers can recognize changes sooner in a resident’s health. With daily activities that are meaningful to mind, body and spirit and outings on our Sunrise bus to places such as community events, restaurants and theatre, our residents have the opportunity to enjoy many pleasant days together. We are located just north of Hillcrest Mall and one block south of the Central Library, Sunrise of Richmond Hill sits on Yonge Street, centrally located in the heart of Richmond Hill.