Canterbury Place Retirement Residence - Toronto, ON

Room Type Monthly Range* (CAD)

Review

1. NOT pet friendly anymore. If you have a dog, you will be forced to carry it in your arms in the elevator. If you cannot do this, you will be forced to spend a lot of money purchasing a dog stroller that will take up a lot of room in your unit. NO garden area. Parks nearly but crossing is VERY unsafe on Ellerslie and Canterbury St.as there are no sidewalks on the north side of the street and not stop sign at the corner to cross Ellerslie. City said they are going to do something about this but who knows when. Management does not involve itself with resident safety outside the home, so some residents, on a few occasions, have walked down the street into the oncoming traffic. Be very careful if you need to cross Ellerslie, walk up to Yonge Street where there is a stop sign.

2. NOT enough outings. There is a nice company van but it is just for show. It sits idle for days aand weeks and does not take residents to local shopping centres or public swimming pools (outdoor in summer at Mitchell Field or indoors at Douglas Snow). It would be nice if the van were used to take people to local parks in the area and cultural events or concerts as well.

If you can drive, bring your own car or take expensive taxis instead. If these are not options, you will be stuck in the residence pretty much year around except for a 2 or 3 outings a month, many of which involve going to the theatre or expensive restaurants. One trip was to Wal-Mart, though and was very popular.

3. Food is not always good. A lot of cookies and dessert to fill you up rather than a reasonable size bowl of healthy soup. Expect no more than a quarter cup size bowl for a meal.

Your family members may need to supplement meals each week.

If you invite family to barbecue lunch, you will be charged around 12 dollars for the lowest quality burger with only the most basic condiments --ketchup, mustard and relish--and a supermarket boxed neon green coleslaw salad. Convenience store ice cream for dessert. Thus not worth the money.

4. Staff are nice and do a good job cleaning and in reception. Activities such as excercise classes are enjoyable.

5. Most residents are nice and friendly.

6. Units are very, very small. Dimentions of the floor plan do not match reality. A very small fridge without a freezer, just a small ice box, makes it hard for family to bring your favourite dishes and store these. Microwave provided is useful. Laundry not in unit but one on every floor. Very god air conditioning and heating available on demand year round.

Review of Canterbury Place Retirement Residence Toronto, ON

I was recovering from back surgery, and the care and attention I received at Canterbury Place was wonderful. The staff and the residents made me feel very welcome. I participated in many of the activities and met many great friends. I have attended a couple of special events since my surgery and it was great to see my my friends again.

Mom did not like the small activity room and felt bedroom was too small. Mom felt " clastrophobic". Mom decided that Toronto is too busy for her.

A wonderful experience

I was in Canterbury Place for two wonderful weeks on respite care, following an operation.

I was overwhelmed with the hospitality and the service. They took care of my every need and I enjoyed those activities I was able to participate in.

It is an extremely well run Retirement Residence and plan to make it my home when I feel I can no longer manage on my own.

Canterbury Place was perfect form my respite care. They were available when I needed them, and the accommodation was first class.

Respite Care

I am very happy with the attention to care and service I received from Canterbury Place. I had no idea what to expect but this residence has exceeded my expectations. The first day I moved in I had just been released from hospital after having a back operation, and everyone I met called me by my first name, which I thought was very nice. All these residents to remember, it made me feel special. The care was excellent and because of this, I believe I am on a quicker road to recovery. I enjoyed participating in the activities and games, and met so many wonderful people.

Thank you Canterbury Place.

nice place
my parents love it

Exceeding my expectation

I am very happy with the care my mother has received. The staff has been excellent and always available. The level of care far exceeded my expectations. They have made a tough transition very easy.