Sunrise of Monterey - Monterey, CA

Just Okay

I looked at Sunrise for my loved one, and I thought that the community was okay. The staff was very nice and helpful, but there just didn't seem to be that many amenities here, and the food wasn't very good. It's an older community, which is fine, but the apartments were a little small, and just didn't seem as nice as we were hoping.

Helpful and Nice Staff

My father seems to be doing well here at Sunrise. He is still adjusting with the transition into the community. The community is nice and very clean. The staff has been helpful and kind to us, and is really making the transition easy and helps my father out with everything. There are activities my father has yet to partake in, but I did notice there are good ones. The food is good and he seems to enjoys it. I am still experiencing the community, and so far its good.

Professional staff

We toured and everything was nice, but we are not using them yet. The staff seems to be professional, friendly and helpful.

A good experience

The Sunrise of Monterey is a nice community. The only minor issues I have is that It's expensive. I would also prefer if my mom had more access to her supplements and medications when she wants. Overall, it has been a good experience. The facility itself is very clean. The staff is very friendly and nice. The care services are good. They offer a variety of activities for the residents. The value could be better.

They have been very accommodating.

It's going very well. They have been very accommodating. Our situation has proven challenging, and they have just been wonderful. The staff are excellent, just wonderful there. It's very clean and very nice. We are very pleased with them.

Rest Easy Now

I had visited several Assisted Living facilities on the Peninsula and just could not imagine my Parents living there. Sunrise was the last place on my list and from the moment I stepped in I thought...........now this place is nice! Cheery, clean, upbeat people working there, nice music and plenty of events going on for those who want to join in. There was someone there to show me two available apartments. I loved how clean and brand new they felt. That very day I brought Mom and Paul over and they signed up. We have never looked back. You won't be sorry you've brought someone you care about to live there. Excellent, excellent, excellent!!!

Review of Sunrise Of Monterey

Having a solid head administrator is a key to success. There was a short period where the head administrator was not on top of things. She was replaced very quickly and then everything was great.
I highly recommend Sunrise of Monterey. If fact, I have told my wife that if I ever needed a place, Sunrise is where I would want to be.

They do a very good job.

They do a very good job. The staff is very nice, sometimes I feel like the follow through isn't always there. Some of the little details and unique attentiveness can be overlooked, they have offered things that haven't happened. The food would be a four. I think it would be nice if they had some sort of on call masseuse, that would be nice. I wish they had more help with the psychological aspect. There should be some kind of mandatory adjustment counseling to deal with the massive change and the emotional stress that comes along with this kind of move. I think they feel like they got dumped off there, and they don't really address that. None of the communities do it. It would be nice to have someone to talk to that could maybe help them deal with the adjustment, as part of the process.

Consistent Team of Caregivers for Each Resident

I did place a client in Sunrise but unfortunately she was only there for a very brief time. She went back home with hospice and has since passed away. I am familiar with the folks over at Sunrise though. I think it's an excellent place. I'm very impressed with their personalized approach to appointing a team of people to work with a resident because then they know the resident very well. So there's a consistency with the team that works with each resident.

Not Responsive AT ALL

My mother used to live there and I didn't like it. They wouldn't return phone calls. They were not responsive. She was constantly getting injured there. It was just too big. The individuals were okay but there's not direct person to contact ever. Sometimes they'd answer their emails and sometimes the wouldn't. The director changed several times - it was a mess. They had a base price that was already high and then they would add on to it. It was a real rip off in my opinion.

Very impressive

Sunrise is a very impressive community that was filled with very friendly staff. The food is really good with a good variety. The management has developed a new plan of care which is equally as impressive as the community.

The facility is very nice looking. ...

The facility is very nice looking. A big plus is the fact it is in Monterey. The attractiveness of this community - both the common areas and the units themselves - is a big plus. It didn't seem to me, however, that there was much of an outdoor area that was incorporated into the community itself. The other communities seemed to have more outdoor space that allowed residents to experience a garden.

While Sunrise of Monterey opened in 2009, Sunrise Senior Living has been in business for over 30 years, serving as a pioneer in providing outstanding care in a home-like environment for seniors. At Sunrise of Monterey, we have several neighborhoods that allow us to serve the various needs of our residents. While we have many residents that are still independent who simply want life to be a bit easier by having housekeeping, laundry services and meals prepared allowing them to age in place (enabling them to be settled in a community where their future needs can be accommodated), we also have residents who have a great deal of needs. We can care for the frailest of the frail, can go through end of life, and specialize in memory care. For those residents with memory loss, we have two distinct neighborhoods to best accommodate their needs; Terrace Club, a non-secured neighborhood for those with mild to moderate memory care needs who may simply need gentle reminders and prompting, and Reminiscence, our secured neighborhood for those with more advanced memory care needs that allows our residents to have meaningful days and the specialized care they need. We also have Edna's Place, a small neighborhood with only 8 rooms that provides our highest level of care in a private, intimate neighborhood.

Located in the heart of Monterey, Sunrise of Monterey set amongst mature Pines and Eucalyptus trees. Located on Cass Street, known to the locals as "Pill Hill" because of the numerous medical professionals in the area, provides easy access to many doctors and labs. We are within a few blocks of Del Monte Shopping Center, which has wonderful stores, restaurants and a Whole Foods market. The beautiful beaches are approximately 1 mile from Sunrise of Monterey.

While gathering information on line is a wonderful start to your search, seeing our community in person enables you the opportunity to see first hand the experience we can provide to your loved one. We would welcome the opportunity to have you for a visit and lunch. Please let us know a time that would be convenient for you.