Sunrise of Minnetonka - Minnetonka, MN

Terrible place to put a loved one , my mom was living at sunrise in Minnetonka and the staff was extremely overworked and understaffed , management never seemed to be around when I needed to talk to a nurse or a supervisor. Wait times are ridiculously high! The girls that work are great and can't blame them for the poor staffing, they did give great care to my mother that I am forever grateful for, but would not recommend this place if your looking for good management of the facility over all

Sunrise Senior Living

Good Morning. We are sorry to hear about your experience at our community. We take your comments very seriously and would like to speak with you further to learn more. Please do consider emailing information (at) sunriseseniorliving (dot) com with your contact information so that we can reach out to you. Thank you, The Sunrise Team

Mom is happy here

This is a smaller community and they have a house dog and the residents are allowed to have pets. The staff is very nice. The maintenance is slow on fixing things we have put in a request for. They eat 3x a day and she is a vegetarian and they offer veggies burgers and fresh salads. She goes down when they have music and people singing. She will go on excursions on the bus. It is clean in here and they have a locked in garden area that is nice. I would recommend them.

Full range of activities

Everything has been going very well for my loved one. We have been very pleased with the facility and their staff team. The friendly atmosphere between the other residents and the staff has made it an easier adjusting period for my loved one. The facility is very light and airy which was nice. They did a good job keeping the area very clean. Like most places, they have a full range of activities. My father is involved with a veteran group. They get together a few times a week and talk which I think has been good for my father. He also is starting to get involved in exercise classes and religious activities. They have church service on site. Occasionally they also take the residents off site to go to the mall or restaurants. I recommend this location to other families.

Kind Staff, Upbeat, Bright Community

My husband stays at Sunrise of Minnetonka. Overall, I feel that they really do care about him, they’re willing to learn if we feel there is something they need to change, they have been very respectful to us, and they generally have an upbeat attitude. I just wish communication was better. Sometimes, I feel that communication between staff members is not strong and could use improvement. The food is ok, and they have a very upbeat activity director who is very interested in what the residents like to do. They have outings, crafts, bingo, exercise classes, and an all-season porch for residents to sit in. I really like the way the place feels as well. It’s bright and beautiful with pockets of furniture in the hallways. My husband has a really nice studio apartment. Overall, I just can’t say enough good things about the place. Aside from the communication issues, I’d recommend this community to others.

Friendly staff but felt it was outdated.

I toured this property and the staff was very nice. I decided against this property for our dad mostly because of the very wide staircase in the middle of the building. It was beautiful but I did not feel it was safe for our dad as they only had a room available on the second floor and he would have to pass this stairway to get to the elevator. I was concerned with safety and did not think this was the place for us.

Very nice facility. Was surprised at how pleasant and quiet it was once inside and in the back garden. Nice assisted living option. The memory care facility was quite nice - but not the client mix that mom needs right now.

Pleasant people but not for us.

We toured this community when looking for my mother. It was a good environment.They provided a lot of good information and were pleasant to work with. We did not choose this community because she liked another one we toured better.

Dad Enjoys Himself Here

My dad had a good time while he was at the community. They treated him very well and he was happy with them. He likes the food and the dining experience. He can order off the menu. They also do a great job picking him up with the hoist. Being that they are like a full nursing care, this is what he needed and that is why we picked the community. It has been great and I highly recommend them.

A Blend Of Different Levels

My tour went extremely well when seeing what it was like here. It looked pretty good and they had a whole floor for the memory care but I noticed it was a blend of assisted and independent living residents.

Great care!

My father in law liked the caregivers from Care Builders at Home. The same steady young man would go to his home and help him out. He is now in a nursing home and no longer receiving care from them, but he had no complaints about them.

We were very impressed with the tour and were introduced to all the staff. Everyone we met seemed happy to be there. Very warm and welcoming surroundings.

Outstanding Community and Care

I am happy with the great care that my father is getting here. The staff are always caring and making sure that he is taken care of. I like that they have activities but at this time he is not participating. The meals are good and he likes the variety. I would highly recommend this community for great care and value to others.

Still looking!

Everything went well on the tour here. They were very helpful and they had a great community. I did see the other residents out and interacting with each other. However, I did not feel like this would be a good fit for mom.

Good Care for Dad

The community is good. The grounds are clean and well taken care of. The food is good but can use improvements They do offer alot of activities but he does not want to participate in. I would recommend this community for other families for good care.

The staff is very kind and professional!!

My mother is getting along very well at Sunrise of Minnetonka. The community is clean and the food is very good. My mother's vision has declined in the last few years and has always enjoyed music. I am very pleased with the staff getting her involved in the musical activities when they are offered.

My Tour Of This Community Went Well

My tour of this community went well. I would say this is a community more for a younger senior. This is a very active community, the energy is very high. The staff was courteous and friendly. They were informative and answered my questions. From what I saw the community looked nice and clean. It was a pleasant tour.

Good place, friendly and homelike.

Although it seems expensive, the Sunrise does have an atmosphere that I would find myself comfortable in.
Ashley was instrumental in helping us get the job done and my mom accommodated in this new place on a very tight schedule. I'm thankful I had my daughter and son in law to help. Both my sister and I live far away from the U.S. so we find it important to have her in a safe and comfortable place.
Mom said she was lonesome the first few times I've spoken to her, but now she has met people and is getting on better. She has told me she likes her new room although it is smaller than what she had. The Sunrise seems more like a home as far as the building and atmosphere than an assisted living facility, they even have a dog, Annie.
I'm just happy that we got her into a good place and with less worries on her wellbeing.

We so appreciate the help we have been given in every area
Paper work has been immense and I was given my husband support for my dad.
We love having an on site doctor

Homelike

Very home-like. Kind caring staff. They're new here so they are just waiting for the people to meet them and accept them into the community.

Mixed experience

We had a mixed experience with Sunrise of Minnetonka. It was a nice looking place, but they didn't really come through with their memory care services. My loved one managed to escape from their "secure" memory care floor multiple times in his first week there. I was also disappointed to find out that 24 hour nursing care means that they have a nurse on call 24/7, but not actually on the property.

They're Doing Quite Well

The basically have taken my mother's health conditions and done quite well with them. I haven't had any trouble, which puts my mind at ease. I don't like their billing process, they kind of hit me with a very large bill and I was very confused with it. But the apologized and said it shouldn't have happened like that, so it all got worked out.

everyone seems like family there

Activities coordinator seems to keep residents busy and is very out going and thinks outside the box. Would like to see card games other then cribbage. Staff is very friendly and caring.

It's cosmetically a very nice place, and the staff was nice.

It's cosmetically a very nice place, and the staff was nice. The rooms are big and comfortable. The care level was just not what we were hoping it would be. I don't think this was the right fit for us.

I am very disappointed in their care for my husband.

I am very disappointed in their care for my husband. They are so understaffed, I am afraid to leave some times. They have 2 people for forty residents. We have waited for an hour to get him on the toilet. The girls themselves, are awesome, but they are totally overwhelmed and overworked. They have no management, only interim people. I went there based on some very high recommendations. They have nobody in charge They no longer have a resident doctor checking in. I come in and find urine left standing in the urinal, and I have had to vacuum the floor myself. Some days it's outstanding, depending on who they have for an interim. The menu is nourishing, and pretty good I think, for institutional food. The problem is they have the same people that are helping people to the bathroom, also serving the food. When you walk in it feels like home, and that really influenced me.

Sunrise Senior Living

Thank you for your review. Please know we take all concerns seriously and would like to learn more about your experience. Please email us at Information(at)SunriseSeniorLiving(dot)com. Thank you, Sunrise Team

great staff

One thing I do feel that they could do to improve would be in regards to staffing. My husband needs a lot of help and they do seem at times to be a bit understaffed to fulfill the needs.

I really like the staff there. They are really nice and friendly and eager to do anything they can to help. It is expensive, but in line with other places that are out there, and I know that my husband is receiving good care so it is worth it.

Poor Care!

Pulled loved one from facility due to poor care. General grooming and bathing not being done. Socks and underwear were not changed on a daily basis. Legs and feet swelled due to inactivity, left to sit all day long. Contacted them before removing loved one, nothing changed. Would definitely not recommend this facility if your loved one can not speak up for themselve s.

It is worth every penny

Everyone smiles and genuinely cares. My husband never asks to go home with me. He says he is in the perfect place because he doesn't have to worry about anything and everyone is nice to him and he never gets bored.

It is clean and very homey. Everyone is treated with dignity and respect.

A new home

Sunrise has been very observant of what the wishes of a new resident are . They are wonderful making a new resident feel part of the community and welcome without being overbearing . Other residents seem happy and comfortable and I am relaxed knowing they are safe !A

Friendly and caring staff!

They've done a wonderful job at Sunrise of Minnetonka so far! The staff are all very very friendly and caring, you never feel like anything you ask is any sort of trouble or imposition for them, they're always happy to help! The facility itself is very nice, and they take great care of all of their residents!

Very clean, great staff and very cour...

Very clean, great staff and very courteous & prompt. The residence is very homey and as a bonus a dog lives there.

I really think it's the right fit for us. He is doing very well there.

I really think it's the right fit for us. He is doing very well there. He has a lot of space to move around in. There were a few hiccups in the beginning, there was some misinformation, the price quote was a mistake in addition, they didn't let me know that it would be my responsibility to provide certain products for him, I had to purchase our own shower chair. I also didn't know who was doing what, the person orienting us said that they would be doing everything, the planning for what he needed, and that was not the case. There are a couple of people that are a little stand offish and don't always present themselves quite like everyone else who says hello, and greets you. In the beginning there was a little bit of a lag in response time, but they are watching it better now. They have music and s'mores and fishing trips, so there are lots of good activities. The food is not too bad and there is always another choice.

My stepfather was a residen...

My stepfather was a resident here, and they had horrible aides, and kept raising his rates monthly. Very dissappointed.

Sunrise Senior Living

We’re very sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience with our community. Please know we care deeply about the safety and well-being of our residents. Please contact us at [removed] with additional details so that we can learn more. –The Sunrise Team

We moved my mother in and the Sunrise...

We moved my mother in and the Sunrise stood out for both the amount of activities they have available and the kind of activities. Sunrise has activities geared towards the mind, the body and the spirit, which is fantastic. It feels like a home, not an institution.

From the sales people to the maintenance people, everyone invites the residents to think and feel as if the Sunrise were their home.

We're getting three times the value from Sunrise than we could have from other facilities. It's the phone calls that we're NOT getting that are making all the [removed]

Toured and liked it

We chose this community because it was close to were we used to live. The location was convenient for our family to visit. The staff is really friendly and the community is really clean. The layout of Sunrise was better then the other communities we looked at.

She thought this was great. The one d...

She thought this was great. The one drawback was the minimum short term stay is 60 days.

1 very unfavorable review from my cow...

1 very unfavorable review from my coworkers.

Beautiful, wonderful

Beautiful, wonderful

Beautiful facility. 30 memory units/4...

Beautiful facility. 30 memory units/45 assisted, nice mix. Clean, decorated nicely, smelled fresh. Large TV areas. Smaller outdoor areas. Shared tub. Shower only in room.

Fantastic place, very homey.

Fantastic place, very homey.

An elegant, residential environment, we deliver the finest in senior care, and are recognized internationally for both quality and innovation. Guided by our Principles of Service, Sunrise affords families peace-of-mind by providing today's seniors with a range of personalized assisted living services. From assistance with activities of daily living such as eating, bathing, dressing to medication monitoring, Sunrise provides residents with the help they need. Residents maintain the same privacy in their new home as they enjoyed in their own home. At Sunrise, we encourage residents to challenge themselves while offering the assistance they need. We encourage family and friends to be involved, to visit frequently, and to invite residents on outings to community events. This innovative approach to senior care is designed to maintain independence and dignity, yet is balanced with the comfort and security that comes from knowing experienced help is close at hand.

Minnetonka, Minnesota

Minnetonka is a suburb located just outside of Minneapolis. Minnetonka is located in Hennepin County, Minnesota and has a population of just around 50,000 residents.

City Info

Minnetonka is a populous suburb located just outside of Minneapolis. This means there is lots to do and lots to see in the area as it's in close proximity to a highly populated city.

- Minnetonka is a suburb located just outside of Minneapolis which is located in Hennepin County, Minnesota.

- Walkability: 22

- Average age in the zip code: 45

- Senior housing facilities in the zip: RidgePointe (independent living), Sunrise of Minnetonka (independent living/assisted living), The Glenn at Minnetonka (independent living/assisted living), Rahkma Grace (assisted living), St. John Homes (assisted living), & Nurturing Care (assisted living)

- Average weather info: The average temperatures in Minnetonka are between 29 and 83 degrees. The most precipitation tends to fall in June when Minnetonka will get 4.74 inches of precipitation.

- Veteran's facilities in the area: Minneapolis VA Health Care System

Transportation

There is an extensive amount of transportation options in the Minnetonka area as it is a suburb right outside of a large city such as Minneapolis. No matter where you need to go you will not have trouble finding a way to get around.

- Buses: Minnetonka is served by the Metro Transit Busing Services

- Trains: There are no trains coming through the town of Minnetonka proper.

- Taxis: Taxis include the Airport Travel Taxi, All Metro Taxi, MN Black Car Service, Minnetonka Taxi All Metro Cab, Airport Taxi & Car Service Minnetonka, Edina Taxi & Limo Service, Airport Black Car Service, & Hopkins Taxi

- Ride Shares: Lyft & Uber both fully operate in this city.

Health & Safety

Minnetonka is a suburb of the larger city of Minneapolis where there are plenty of hospitals and other clinics. Crime rates are about average.

- Hospitals: Children's Hospital Minnesota Minnetonka Surgery & Specialty Center, South Lake Pediatrics, North Memorial Health Clinic, Gillette Children's Specialty Healthcare, Children's Business Campus, Park Nicollet Methodist Hospital, Allina Health Minnetonka Clinic, Fairview Southdale Hospital, & Wayzata Children's Clinic

- Crime Rates: On a scale of 1 to 100 with a 100 being the safest, Minnetonka is rated a 43.

Sports & Leisure

Minnetonka provides many different activities for sports and leisure and even more is offered in the nearby city of Minneapolis.

- Golf courses: Glen Lake Golf Course, Bunker Indoor Golf, Bent Creek Golf Club, Oak Ridge Country Club, Brookview Golf Course, Lafayette Club, Baker Nation Golf Course, Braemar Golf Course, Eagle Lake Youth Golf, Orono Public Golf Course, Cleary Lake Golf Course, Bearpath Golf & Country Club, & Minneapolis Golf Club

- Tennis courts/clubs nearby: Minnetonka Tennis Club, Life Time Athletic Tennis Club, & Williston Fitness Center - City of Minnetonka

- Gyms nearby (senior friendly): Ridgedale YMCA, Fit12 Health & Fitness, The Marsh Pilates Studio, Gyrotonic at the Marsh, CorePower Yoga, & Inner Active

Shopping & Entertainment

Being situated near Minneapolis means that Minnetonka has plenty of nearby entertainment and shopping for everyone.

- Clothes shops nearby: Opitz Outlet, Macy's, Once Upon a Child, Men's Wearhouse, Lane Bryant, Clothes Mentor, DXL Destination, Children's Orchard Minnetonka, Express, Buckle, Nordstrom Ridgedale, Evereve - Ridgedale, JCPenney, Ann Taylor, Sears, Hot Topic, Shop at the Marsh, & LOFT

- Grocery stores: Cub Foods, Lakewinds Food Co-Op, Lunds & Byerlys Hwy 7 Minnetonka, Whole Foods Market, Lunds & Byerlys Glen Lake Minnetonka, Trader Joe's, ALDI, Lunds & Byerlys Ridgedale, Lunds & Byerlys Wayzata, Target, Namaste Plaza, Driskill's Downtown Market, & Casablanca Market

- Restaurants nearby: Ike's Minnetonka, Bacio, Christos Greek Restaurant Minnetonka, BLVD Kitchen & Bar, Golden Nugget Tavern & Grille, Avenida Mexican Asian Kitchen, Spasso, Champps, Lakeshore Grill, Blue Birch, Kona Grill - Minnetonka, Jimmy's Kitchen & Bar, Big Bowl Ridgedale, Redstone Minnetonka, Bar Louie, Panera Bread, People's Organic, & Ruscello

- Movie theaters: Emagine Willow Park, Mann Hopkins Cinema 6, Exelsior Dock Cinema, AMC Eden Prairie Mall 18, Minnetonka Theatre, Cinema Grill & Outtakes Bar, & Chanhassen Cinema

- Libraries: Minnetonka Library, Ridgedale Library, Hopkins Library, Wayzata Library, & Exelsior Library

- Senior-friendly salons: Bay Salon & Boutique, Lili Salon Minnetonka, Sakada Studios, New Reflections Salon, Primp Hair Salon, Rocco Altobelli Salons & Day Spas, Hair Designs by Tom, Regis Signature Salon, Salon Concepts, Beauphoria - Minnetonka Square, Proxy Salon, Hair Proz, KT Nails, Studio 13, & Metropolis Salon

- Attractions: Shady Oak Beach, Bennett Family Park, Big Thrill Park, Lone Lake Park, Big Willow Park, Bryant Lake Regional Park, Jidana Park, Greater Wayzata Area, Greater Wayzata Area Chamber of Commerce, & Al & Alma's Supper Club & Charter Cruises