Sunrise of Boulder - Boulder, CO

The Tour

While I visited with them many time before I decided this was not the community for me. I enjoyed the experience they offer and I felt they could have been my final choice. They were a nice community.

A homey place

Mom had a nice respite stay at this community. The staff were nice and helpful. The food was good and they offer a lot of activities. The community is clean and well maintained. I would recommend this community.

A positive experience!

My mother in law is not at the Sunrise of Boulder anymore, but while she was there it was good. The experience was simply pleasant and we did not encounter anything that needed improvement.

Very Nice Care Staff

Overall my experience with Sunrise was mixed. I found the pricing per service option was too expensive. The food is good and nicely prepared. The meal plans come from a corporate headquarters and they stick to the plans. When my family member arrived it took 5 weeks to set up the physical therapy through their nursing office. There is no physical therapy room, which would have been a plus. You are free to hire your own outside care providers, and I should have done more research and asked more questions. Early on I felt that there were not enough management people on site to supervise the operations. The care staff from Nepal is just wonderful. They are very nice people with a genuine desire to help the elderly people. At times, they are asked to work overtime to fill in for people who call out. It seemed like they were running from one task to the next and they were efficient. On occasion, the call system would take too long to get help.
The housekeeping staff is excellent, and I never found the facility to be lacking in cleanliness. The dining room has been remodeled recently and is very pleasing to the eye. The same people who do the caregiving are in the dining area serving the food. I think a separate set of food delivery people would be appropriate to prevent cross contamination. Because it is run by a corporation, they are motivated to increase revenue and save on expenses. The annual increase was supposed to be for food costs, and staff wages, but I didn't see any better or higher quality food being served. You are wise to survey each facility, and even look at the outlying areas. Each place is different, and you may find something that suits your family very well. Sunrise is one of the better facilities if your family member needs a minimal amount of care. If the care needs increase, then you are going to pay for it through a higher level care plan or asked to leave if they don't feel their staff is qualified or adequate to take care of the needs. The daily rates can add up over time. Basically you are buying a rental room for your family member along with the food. Cleaning is included with laundry and bathing once a week. If you desire more services then there are add on fees depending on what you want and need. Remember that it is the quality of care that is the most important feature of any elderly assisted living operation.

Quality of Care is Important

The facility looks very nice, but the walls are not sound proof. You can hear conversations and the noise next door. Breakfast consists of canned fruit, frozen donuts, cereals, eggs, bacon, sausage, juices, coffee, tea, milk, and pancakes. Lunch is soup, sandwiches, salad, hamburgers, meat, fries, chicken, fish, and a dessert. Dinners are chili, vegetables, spaghetti, meatloaf, chicken, fish, salads, and pork. There are plenty of choices with each meal. The same people who serve food also perform chores for the residents like bathing, help with the toilet, dressing, laundry, pushing wheelchairs, and any assistance needed. The care managers are very nice people and they show respect for the elderly people. The fees are on the higher side of care costs. They do not provide rides other than the scheduled activity for the day. The medicines are given in the dining area. The level of care is determined by a point system which has the effect of increasing costs. I had the feeling that the staff was always running from one thing to the next. Wait times for the call system were too long in some cases. The building is spread out, so it is easy to get exercise indoors by walking. A physical therapy room is needed to add to the physical wellness of residents. The housekeepers are always cleaning. The daily classes are good with yoga, singing, stretching, art, movies, scenic rides, and trips to a store or restaurant. The most important thing to look for is the quality of care for your elderly people. Compare the most important offerings with other facilities to help with your decisions on the best place to live. Get more than one reference and ask to meet the staff first. Ask about qualifications and training. Look at more than one room, and ask if you can attend a meal to get the feel of the way things work each day.

Phenomenal

It is absolutely the people who have engaged with my loved one that makes this place shine. She adores the staff members and they are just phenomenal and have gone above and beyond. She is also very active since arrive at Sunrise and the consistency of the care is a life saver.

Crazy Quilt Home

It's as if the sunlight and warmth of Sunrise embraced my 92 year old mom-in-law and said, "It's going to be more than ok." A month since moving here, she's walking more, engaging more, and dancing to the music. I've happened upon several occasions that leave me grateful, the way the staff brings joy and humor into solving little complications, the way the staff engages those in memory care when one word misheard begins a totally different conversation and the staff goes with the flow, almost like the creation of a crazy quilt which turns out gorgeous. It's a deeper level of life in a harsh dementia world. It's not only the staff but the ambience of Sunrise. It feels like a cozy well-appointed home. Having visited three other places - one a hospital setting, one with a depressing feel, and another trying too hard to look grand - finding Sunrise was good fortune indeed. We had magical caregivers but the creeping dementia and occasional gaps in coverage made it impossible to remain at home. Stop first at Sunrise. It's the beginning of a new level of opportunity for your loved one in a setting almost like home.

Five-Stars Across The Board

They only things that were of any difficulty for me was having to acquire furniture for the room, and then when my mom passed I had to find a way to dispose of it. On one occasion my mom needed to go to the ER to be evaluated after a fall, and we were able to get here the, but I had to arrange for a private service to bring her back.

Sunrise was amazing.

Sunrise was amazing. It was clean and the staff was friendly. They were attentive and caring. I don't have any concerns about Sunrise at all. They were amazing.

Cannot trust management - they lie

Sunrise as a facility is good, and the staff are wonderful. The problem is with the higher ups. They cannot be trusted and will give you a lot of headaches to deal with.

We had more problems with management than I care to list here, but the culminating problem was them wanting to put my grandmother into the alzheimer's unit long before it was appropriate to even consider. This was an opinion shared by the staff who dealt with her regularly as well as by us. In fact the staff loved her, and were extremely upset over the situation.

Feeling that the alzheimer's unit was inappropriate at that time, we chose to move her to another facility. On moving day we were visited by quite a few staff members who were ecstatic that we weren't putting her into the alzheimer's unit. Apparently the staff had been told by management that we were the ones insisting on putting her in the alzheimer's unit, and were quite upset as they also felt it was not yet appropriate for her. One of the women was even crying in relief that we were moving her out rather than put her in that unit prematurely. Moving day was very eye opening.

This is not to disparage the alzheimer's unit. When that level of care does become necessary, it's a very important unit to have, and is the appropriate decision to make. However, if someone is not yet at that level, it is inappropriate and a poor quality of life choice to put them there.

We also did have some issues with one of the on call nurses not getting meds right, and their doctor did not bill something correctly, and many years later, we're still dealing with her error.

To sum, the staff are really wonderful for the most part and really care about the residents, the facilities are nice, and very well maintained. Watch your back with management though - they cannot be trusted.

Incidentally, I am now looking again at places, as my other grandmother may need one soon, and not only am I avoiding this facility, I'm now leery of any of the Sunrise facilities.

Sunrise Senior Living

Thank you for your review. Please know we take all concerns seriously and would like to learn more specifics about your experience with Sunrise. Please email us at Information (at) SunriseSeniorLiving (dot) com. Thank you! Sunrise Team

Mom Placed

I've been very pleased so far with Sunrise of Boulder. A well-maintained, clean and nicely appointed facility is quickly appreciated. The staffing is more than adequate, the range of activities quite varied. One day it's "laugh yoga", a restaurant outing for lunch, then a music recital. After dinner (food is quite good) perhaps an art class.

The place has been there for ~a decade so a lot of the staff are quite experienced and work well as a team. One needs to supply one's own furniture. Clients' fees are based on level of care needed so it can get a bit pricier than some places. Fees are based on a cost per day & billing is monthly.

Visiting is 24/7, easy, & includes pets. There are 2 resident Labs there as well.

Good considering the alternatives.

POSITIVES.
- By far the best part of Sunrise Boulder is that staff is almost unanimously friendly and respectful.
- My parents don't participate in activities but it seems that they are frequent.
- I rated the value aspect as high only because I had the unfortunate opportunity to compare it to skilled nursing where my father had to go for rehab. Sunrise Boulder provides no less and no more service than skilled nursing facilities, if you exclude skilled nursing.
- Food is nutritious and well prepared, though a bit boring and repetitive.
NEGATIVES:
- While the facility appears very clean much of the staff lacks understanding of cleanliness fundamentals, such as not moving on to a clean activity after performing a dirty activity with the same gloves, or from resident to resident with same gloves. There are more example I could give. A nasty cold that several staffers had was passed onto both of my parents, and it appeared that a large percentage of the residents caught the same.
- My father has cognitive issues from stroke so he's unable to use the call devices and even if he were able to he would never be able to wait for a care manager to arrive often or usually 15 minutes or more later. But there is probably no better alternative.
- The 2 nurses that work the assisted living area seem to leave promptly at the end of their shifts even if there are loose ends. There were at least a couple incidents, in the space of 6 months, where I had to chase down what happened to doctor's orders for labs, and why medications did not arrive soon after they were prescribed. My parents used to live with me and I thought moving to assisted living I would negate the need for me to keep track of such things.
OVERALL:
- Given the alternatives, Sunrise Boulder has been a good place for my parents, but its not a hands free situation. They still need me to keep close tabs on their care.
- Many of the short comings can be attributed to the facility being understaffed per needs.
(the cost per month I gave is for my father who has the most needs.)

Out of our price range and ...

Out of our price range and does not offer anything but private pay. The ladies I spoke with Arial and Rebecca were super helpful...would very much consider Boulder if we somehow came into some money however...seems like a really lovely facility.

Turned Off by Them

I was really turned off by the person who talked to us. She indicated that they were there because they just loved old people and loved the work but she didn't ask what our needs were. It was just about how great they were. We got sort of got turned off by that but I know other people were pleased with them. They were more expensive too. They said they started at $5600 and then they added for care.

Sunrise Senior Living

We're sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience in our community. We'd like to learn more - please feel free to contact us at [removed]. - The Sunrise Team

Very happy we found Sunrise

We are very please with Sunrise. The community is clean and the staff is friendly. My loved one was at a different community and it was just terrible so I am glad we found Sunrise. The community is just awesome. We are very happy with our choice and would recommend Sunrise of Boulder to anyone.

Sunrise of Boulder is nestled in a quiet neighborhood with gorgeous mountain views next to a city park and bike path. All our rooms are conveniently located on the first floor, and our decor is arts-and-crafts with a ski lodge/cottage appeal.

Step into a Sunrise Assisted Living community and you can’t help but feel at home. We stop at nothing to make your experience warm and inviting, from our homelike exterior architecture, to our comfortable community areas and choice of suites to our exceptional outdoor gardens and landscaping. Look around and you’ll notice fresh flowers throughout the residence, and you may even spot our dog or our cat. And of course, there are always the friendly smiling faces of our staff to ensure that each day spent here is a welcome one.