Sunrise at Montgomery Village - Gaithersburg, MD

Kudos to Sunrise

After a not-so-good experience in Florida, we brought Mom to Sunrise of Montgomery Village in Maryland. We have been pleased in every way but particularly in patient care and attention. Mom had Uti’s every month and since moving to MD, she hasn’t had one in eight months. She is always clean and they take the residents to the bathroom every 2-3 hours. Mom is also looking at the friendly, attentive care takers as important people in her life which frees me up from visiting every other day. When they arrive on shift, many go around and greet each resident with a smile and a touch. Meals are delicious and outside entertainment is superb. Thanks, Sunrise for a wonderful experience!

We really liked Sunrise at Montgomery Village - the facility, the apartments, the food, and the staff. The staff is very engaged with the residents and family members. They have good employee retention, which is important for the residents and their families.

had to cancel the move in- may take them up later, we need to visit another community or two to help Mom decide.

The community of staff and residents are so friendly and welcoming. The staff love their residents and every resident I met highly encouraged me to bring my mom there. They were having so much fun with each other and the many activities. The living quarters really feel like an apartment home. Very clean and well decorated and much of the staff have been there for many many years. I went during dinner and was so happy to see so many people enjoying their food and the company of each other. Lots of smiles and laughter. Children were there singing Christmas carols. [Removed] answered all my questions and introduced me to so many people, gave me a wonderful dinner to take home and really made the experience of finding a place for mom so fun and informative.

Top of the line

My dad is doing extremely well here, he is more out going and takes part in the activities and enjoys going to the dining room with the other residents. This is a very nice community with lots of amenities for the residents and I would recommend taking a tour here.

Really starting to settle in

My Aunt is still clearing out her home getting it ready to sell but she has already started making friends here and settling in. She likes all the different amenities they offer here and plans to start joining in and she likes the food and going to the dining room to socialize. The community is very nice it has a front porch and a courtyard out back the residents use. I would definitely recommend this community.

Mom Really Loves This Community

My mother loves this community, and I'am very pleased with all they have done for us. It is truly a great facility for her, and her needs. I know she is safe, and in good hands. They do a very good job keeping track of her. If she wants to leave she just has to sign out. The staff is attentive, and kind. Everything is working out very well for us in this facility, and I would recommend it.

My tour

This community is more for independent living and we felt mom was not able to navigate this type of community. The community was clean and the people we met were nice.

We like this Sunrise community better than the other one and so far it would be our first choice if we were moving tomorrow. We do hope to stay in our own home as long as we can. The surviving spouse would most likely go to assistant living.

Amazing Community

My mother is doing awesome here at this community. I'am very satisfied with her move here, it is a great community. They have an amazing staff at this community, they have been great to work with. There tons of activities offered for the residents. The meals are great, they have a great selection too choose from. I know she is safe, and in good hands at this community. I would recommend it.

Really liked it!! [Removed] was wonderful, and as soon as I have the plan for the next phase we will connect and see if we can make it work.

Very impressed with staff, very friendly, most staff we met worked at this faciiity for 5-10 years. Site was very clean and very inviting. We toured both the assisted living and independent living apartments and we were impressed the size of these apartments. This will be high on our list for consideration for my mom.

Attentive Staff !!

The staff have been very attentive to my loved one needs and have made her feel comfortable and safe in her new living environment. They offer a lot of great amenities and activities to the residents throughout the week like board games, field trips, and movie nights. The only concern I have is that the staff take my suggestions in to consideration so that my dad can enjoy the activities as well.

Sunrise Senior Living

Very satisfied

Independent plus has been wonderful for my dad as has the caring community of Sunrise Montgomery Village!

EXcellent solution

Sunrise at Montgomery Village is the perfect place for my husband's brother, who has mild dementia. My husband had been trying to care for him, but became very anxious over it. Now my husband is so relaxed when we visit his brother and see that he has wonderful food and support enough to live independently in his own apartment. He even participates in activities. We are very happy and grateful.

It Is Great At This Community

Everything went really well and when my grandmother moved in they had a welcome sign for her. They also had a special day for her birthday. My grandmother has made friends and everyone is nice to her. She enjoys it here and her apartment is nice. The staff are nice and the experience has been good. A Place For Mom was very helpful at narrowing down places for us. I would recommend this community.

Pros and Cons

First, the people are lovely. They are genuinely caring.

But if your loved one is on the 1st or 3rd floor for reminiscence care, you will need to follow up closely for any individual requests that you need. Everything from specific hygiene requests to medical requests.

I've found that some of our requests are complied with, but others are not. And there is little follow through and communication to all staff members. Mgt. intentions are good, but the follow up is lacking to staff on the floor.

Part of that is probably because there are 3 shifts - which is MUCH better than those places who have only 2 shifts. But then the messages don't get passed along to everyone.
Staff are supposed to check each patient's file upon arrival, but I don't think that actually happens.

Plus, there are so many "fires to put out" (meaning, every day, all day, they have to keep up with any number of residents acting up, so they often don't have time to give the personalized care that families are expecting.)

The first priority for residents is always safety. Which everyone agrees with for sure. So if one of the residents who is a fall risk keeps trying to get up from the chair, then staff members have to attend to that first. And that happens alot because many of the residents on these floors have dementia. Then if other residents are irritating fellow residents, they have to deal with that. Again, it happens alot. Then logistics comes next, getting everyone to the bathroom before and after meals, getting them to the dining room for meals, getting them to their rooms at night.. All those things come first. So if you have a specific thing you'd like them to do for your loved one that is not related to safety, it may not get done. And then if they do have time, it may be forgotten.

Sunrise is definitely keeping my Dad safe and sheltered, and it's a much, much better facility than a nursing home. They don't leave residents in their rooms during the day, and gather them all together for activities, which is great. But I continue to be disappointed with the lack of individual attention that I was expecting.

So my advice is to go in with an open mind, but be prepared to live with the fact that it won't be as fabulous as you may be led to believe up front. Not a "bait and switch" issue, just the reality of dealing with reminiscence residents.

Sunrise Senior Living

We’re sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience. We care deeply about the safety and well-being of our residents and staff. Please contact us at information (at) sunriseseniorliving.com so that we can learn more. –The Sunrise Team

100 % Satisfaction

My Mother at the age of 92 could not be by herself any longer.
I wanted a place close to me where she would thrive.
Sunrise at Montgomery Village surpassed my expectations.
The accommodations , food , activities, professionalism and friendliness of the entire staff is something that I hope we all experience in our lives before we begin our next journey.

A good welcome to Sunrise

Ron [removed] was excellent in providing us information on how to make a transition from a private home to an apartment. He was patient and cooperative. We asked for an alteration in the apt. - to widen doorway to bathroom so that a walker might be safely used to enter it. That was done when we moved in.
All the staff seem friendly and willing to assist us, from the front desk to the chef to the dining room manager.

Care givers and staff at every level is caring and friendly and eager to please. Many activities.
The only drawback is the bathroom is separate.

This place is beautiful! Lots of activities, large dining room plus smaller eating areas, a bistro, several sitting areas. I met a few of the nursing staff and was very happy with the response I received.

Nice place, overall

Our experience with Sunrise at Montgomery has only been a brief one, but overall I think they do a good job. It is a nice looking place, and the staff have been friendly and professional.

I loved this community. It was spacious, inviting, and friendly. They have daily activities and try to make it as home-like as they can. Residents can keep food in a kitchenette in their rooms, or go to the bistro for a snack any time of day. The dining room offers a menu to choose from.

Nice place overall, cleaning service could be improved

My experience with Sunrise at Montgomery Village has been somewhat of a mixed one. For the most the staff here are friendly, and they've seemed very attentive to the needs of the residents. They notice if someone hasn't come down to breakfast and go check on them, and the maintenance staff responds quickly to any issues that come up. They also have a fairly good dining service. More often than not the food is very good, although there are a few dishes to avoid, and they have a well stocked and maintained salad bar. The desserts are dangerously good, and very hard to resist! They also seem to have a good variety of activities, although I have not participated in many personally. The main issue bringing the whole experience down is that the cleaning staff just does not seem well trained. They lack a lot of attention to detail, and I feel like I have to do a good bit of cleaning myself either before they arrive or after they leave.

A wonderful, warm place. Very welcoming with a nice variety of activities for the residents. The staff is very knowledgeable and sensitive to the residents' & families' needs. I could see my dad there from the first time I visited.

wonderful

My cousin was the one who entered Sunrise at Montgomery Village. Right before she was supposed to go in, she fell and broke her arm and was in the hospital for a few weeks. I was impressed with how they stayed in touch with her and me during that time before she was even checked in. They truly care and it shows. Wonderful place, wonderful helpful people. I highly recommend Sunrise at Montgomery Village.

We very much appreciate the helpfulness of both A Place For Mom and Sunrise at Montgomery Village.

Pleased with how things are going

They do a good job here overall. The place is very clean, the staff are all friendly and professional, and the food is high quality. We're very pleased with how things are going.

Sunrise at Montgomery Village Montgomery County

Very professional, welcoming, caring, and committed to providing a happy environment for seniors.

Staff are very competent in providing support for seniors who are dealing with Alzheimer's. Extended family members are welcomed and sense of community is created.

Facilities are top notch and the food services are great!

Pet friendly.

Nice place, a few areas to improve on

This was a nice enough facility overall, the staff were friendly and they kept it clean. They just had a few issues that lowered the quality of life and kept my Mom from being comfortable here. They did not do a great job at socializing new residents, they do assigned seating in the dining room and I would have liked if they rotated the seating chart every now and then to help everyone meet new people. They have two elevators, but during Mom's stay one of them was broken which really slowed down her ability to move throughout the facility. They also need a covered area outside for people to smoke.

Very happy here, would recommend to anyone!

This has been a great place so far. Other than maybe needing a bit of refurbishing we really have no complaints. It wasn't our number one choice when we were searching, but it was located conveniently to our old home, and family members. It's a beautiful, clean facility, and the staff are absolutely amazing. I provide most of the care for my wife, but the support they do provide has been great. And there are almost TOO many activities, I can barely keep track of them all!
I would recommend checking this place out, regardless of care needs. It's an absolutely wonderful place, and they're very flexible about working with different levels of care.

Excellent Facility

The staff is extremely friendly, courteous, and efficient. They always go the extra mile to make the residents feel at home. The common areas are well furnished, and spotlessly clean. The food here is healthy, tasty, and very well prepared. The extra amenities (barber shop, manicures, outside activities) are superb. I am very glad that I chose to retire here!

Fine place

We chose it because of lcoation and it provided the services we needed; it was a nice, clean, friendly place. Not everyone's perfect there and there have been a couple of situations with one or two people where I think they've handled things poorly. I haven't voiced any concerns with the people there because the situations were more a personality/bad judgment issue and nothing that was life threatening or a serious problem.

Visited 8-25. Have folder. 4 of 6 flo...

Visited 8-25. Have folder. 4 of 6 floors have indpt lvg. Nice room layouts. Common laundry. In contact with the director.

reasonably priced.

reasonably priced.

like very much, took a tour

like very much, took a tour

The moment you walk through our door, you’ll feel at home. From our warm, inviting fireplace to our cozy, family-like atmosphere, Sunrise at Montgomery Village is a step above the typical senior residence. For the past fifteen years, our caring and experienced staff has been helping seniors live life to the fullest.

Sunrise at Montgomery Village is built around a resident-centered approach to senior living – giving our residents options to meet their individual needs and wishes. We offer a variety of living arrangements, spacious apartments, personalized assistance and care, premium amenities and services and excellent dining options.