Sycamore Acres II - Derwood, MD

Really Liked the People

We toured here at Sycamore Acres and really liked the community. We really liked the people here as well. However it was too far away for us, so we opted to try a community that was in a better location.

Friendly Staff

The people were very nice when we toured the Sycamore Acres II. It was a nice community and very clean. We needed someone who spoke Mandarin to be able to communicate with my loved one.

Finally A Place That Fits All My Wife Needs

This is a lovely care home. I finally found a place that fits all my wife's needs. The community looks amazing. They do a good job keeping everything nice and clean. They have a lovely staff, they are all very caring and helpful. There is only eight residences in this care home, so they able to give the resident the type of attention they deserve. There are activities within the home. The owners are a mother, daughter, and father team. They have been great to work with. I know she is being cared for well here and I would recommend.

Very nice but no activities.

Sycamore is very clean, and the staff are all really nice. I thought they were an excellent value compared to what I saw for a thousand dollars less, this is much better. The biggest thing is that she is very bored, they don't have any activities. She doesn't see well and can't really follow any of the programs on television. There are only three other residents capable of talking and even that is difficult because she can't hear. I would like to see them toss a balloon around, or have some music come in, and play. I chose them because they were the nicest looking place I saw, they are in a rural area with million dollar homes, and stables around, lots of trees, it's just beautiful. It was somewhere I would go.

Group Home with Older Residents

My mother has just moved in. It might be too soon to rate this community. I don't have a lot to compare it to and I've never dealt with this kind of community before, the group home setting but I'm pretty picky and I did allow my mom to go there. Most of the residents are really, really old so it's a lot of one on one interactions and they take them on walks. I'm not sure if I can say my mom likes it there or doesn't, but she's not uncomfortable.

Small Community, Not Many Activities

My friend has been here for less than a month so this is my initial judgement. He was in a different community that was much more expensive and he was worried that he was going through his money and asked us to find him a cheaper place. Money was his main concern.

For activities, they don't seem to have much available but I think that is somewhat based on the abilities of the residents. My friend is 92 and most of the people seem to be less independent than he is. The owner said they used to take all the residents out to lunch once a week but now the residents have aged in place and it's not viable for them to do that anymore.

They are a small community, licensed for 12 beds and my friend filled the 7th one so there's more space available.