Sunrise Assisted Living of Bloomfield Hills - Bloomfield Hills, MI

Nice facility.

This has been a good fit for my mom

The staff at Sunrise Assisted Living of Bloomfield Hills have been wonderful with my mom. They have been very attentive and they encourage her to be a part the activities offered there. My mom likes to go out on the field trips, they take them out to lunch once a week, they offer church services and they bring in lots of entertainment for the residents. There is a nice wrap around porch for the residents to go outside and my mom was able to bring her dog with her and they make sure that they walk her dog twice a day as well.
I was impressed with the follow-up by Sunrise when I was looking for a place for my mom, they had other options for me to look into if I had not been able to move her into their facility.

It Is Very Nice But Small For Them

So far the new transition is going well for my parents. They are liking it but it is a little small for them. My dad doesn't like the noise from the busy road that is located outside their apartment. They have been happy with the food, it is fantastic. The people are good here

Very Nice Tour

I had a very nice tour of this community, and my tour of it went very well. This is a very nice community, and everything looked great. The staff was very friendly. Unfortunately their price was to expensive for our budget, but it was a good experience.

Care and patience

We are very happy with the care from the great staff that always go out of their way. They help with any special needs on her meals that she can enjoy. The community is clean and taken care of. The activities are good and she does enjoy participating. We would highly recommend this community to other families for the care of a loved one.

Not Much of A Connection

The tour I was given was a good experience. Everything was good from the staff to the environment. I felt that i had a better connection with another community.

Saw only one staff member on memory care floor and she was coloring by herself. residents were on their own and looking for guidance. Downstairs public rooms were cozy and comfortable. Apartments were small. Expensive for what it was.

Lovely place!

This was a lovely community. It was very clean and I felt a cheerful attitude from all the people in there. The staff gave us a wonderful welcome. I just thought that it was to big of a community that my loved one would not get the proper care.

Place was active, residents engaged us and let us know they enjoyed being there. Rooms do not have enough closet space unless you take the Double room as a single

Good Care for love ones

I am happy with the community for my husband. The staff is helpful and caring. The food seems to be good. They do offer activities for those who can participate. I would highly recommend this community for good care.

Nice senior living facitlity

My overall impressions so far have been very positive. Can't find anything wrong. Very nice facility and helpful staff.

Very nice facility and very pricey. It appears as though Independent Living is their primary function and I wanted a sharp focus on Assisted Living. This plus the budget aspect negated this as an option. Tour with Amy was very informative and professional.

Seemed like a nice place!

I toured this community while looking into care options for a loved one. The facility was well kept and clean, and all of the staff I met seemed friendly and professional. I did notice that parking would be an issue if we went with this community. We ended up selecting another Sunrise community, but this is somewhere I would have considered as an option for my loved one.

decent overall

My mother was only there at Sunrise Assisted Living for a little while. She did have a fall while she was there, and they did respond quickly to it. They did x-rays and did all the right things after it happened, though I have wondered if they were keeping a close enough eye on her in the first place.

Sunrise Senior Living

Please know that we take all concerns seriously and would like to learn more about your experience at Sunrise. Please email Information (at) SunriseSeniorLiving (dot) com with further details so we may follow up. Thank you, Sunrise Team

It was a nice place.

We toured here as we were looking. It was a nice place.

Very very nice modern decor, Amy sales Director is awesome and extremely helpful. Excellent layout in rooms. Dining on every floor (3 floors). Pricey in my opinion but depending on care needs for individual may be worth it. Definitely gave me a good basis for comparison.

Same issues a year later

Just read the review from November 2013. It is nearly a year later and I couldn't have said it better. No first day greeting, orientation for new residents, and basically the new resident and families fend for themselves. I also agree that the facility is lovely and clean.

My mother moved in Sept 9, 2014 although the rent was paid from Sept 1, 2014. My sister confirmed with them that the room was all ready and the key would be waiting for them.

The room was not ready. Carpeting with spots, bathroom needed repairs and the key wasn't ready for them.

No one met them. My sister was in tears trying to figure everything out on her own. All of this with my mother who was crying because she didn't want to move there. No assistance with this transition at all.

The marketing materials show a Mission Statement that apparently is in print only, not reality.

Monthly activity board is so congested and in such small print making it nearly impossible to decipher or read. If anyone attempted to think like an elderly person, large print and a daily activity board strategically placed, would make sense.

There is very little to nonexistent one-on-one interaction to get to know the resident's preferences and needs.

What is the policy for handling drugs that residents bring with them? We were told it was under lock and key, yet so far a brand new unopened memory pill prescription can't be found. My sister had my mom's name written all over it and wanted to take them home. Why is the same prescription $180 at Sunrise, when my sister paid $62 at the local pharmacy?

Why is it that staff don't wear name tags.? Being new, there is no way of knowing who people are.

My mom is paying extra for the Terrace program, yet we have complained that she isn't being reminded to go. She loves the activities and outings but needs a "gentle reminder" direct quote from marketing materials.

I addressed all of these issues and more with Gretchen the person who oversees this facility. I even made several recommendations. It seems that everything just happened that particular day, week, time. We'll trained in telling family what they want to hear.

The front door is not always monitored. I have walked in several times and no one was there. That isn't as secure as their marketing materials would have you believe.

We have not asked for anything that is not advertised. I believe there is a policy for resident's personal drugs. I'm sure there are other policies that aren't being followed. Even name badges are required in many facilities.

Unless family and or friends are on site regularly, everything seems great. The staff are friendly and are very respectful to the residents.

It's the one-on-one that is missing. If my mom didn't need some monitoring, she could have lived at home. This is what we expect and are paying for.

Sunrise Senior Living

Thank you for your review. Please know that we take all concerns seriously and would like to learn more. Please email us at Information (at) SunriseSeniorLiving (dot) com. Thank you, Sunrise Team

Kind and careing staff. Encourage pa...

Kind and careing staff. Encourage participation in activities. Clean and very well maintained facility, bright and cheerful.

VISITED APRIL 2, 2014. Drop...

VISITED APRIL 2, 2014. Dropped in unannounced and they handled it very well. Director of Activities (Kim) was playing cards with some residents and graciously popped up to give me a tour. Smell test - Passed. Very nicely decorated. Update to date, well-kept. Nice dining areas as well as community and activity rooms. 1st floor was assisted living, 2nd was slight memory care and 3rd was full memory care, alzheimer's etc... Nice apartments, but small. Small fridge, counter, no other kitchen type space. Month to Month, no buy in fee. Sunrise also accomodates 2 week visits, respite visit or simply a month to test it out. No real outdoor space to take walks or sit outside. The porch faces telegraph road, a major roadway. Not soothing surroundings.

Lack of Executive Staff expertise

This facility is physically beautiful and kept clean - the issue is in who is running the place. In short, the executive staff at this location does not know how to run a facility that enhances the lives of it's residents. No executive staff/supervisors work after 4:00pm M-F or at all on Saturday or Sunday. They say they do but they don't. So management of the entire facility is left to underpaid caregivers. The caregivers are wonderful people and have overall been very good at caring for our loved one, but they are not management material and they don't get paid to be. There are no activities for people that are high functioning mentally - they really sell you on that in the sales pitch, but it is non-existent when you move in. None of the executive staff ever came to welcome or greet my loved one when they moved in, and there was no orientation for her to adjust to this strange, new environment she is now living in. Residents must basically fend for themselves, especially if they have no family near by.

Sunrise Senior Living

Thank you for your review. Please email the information inbox at [removed] so we can learn more about your concerns. Thank you, Sunrise Team.

Reputation

We chose Sunrise because its location was very convenient for our family. The community is really clean and the staff is exceptionally friendly. Another factor in selecting Sunrise is they have a really good reputation. There prices are pretty high but we think they are about the same as other communities.

Perfect location