Southern Plantation - Loganville, GA

Much older facility with a slight odor. Dated looking furniture. Dining area uninviting. Wouldn’t want to live there myself.

This is the perfect place for my parents! It has everything: beautiful place, great facilities, and available services, planned trips, some utilities included. I will keep the information on a special place to be able to revisit in the future Once our current family trio situation changes . It is going to be hard to see other options once I have experience the perfect and ideal place at Souther Plantation for my parents! Thank You

SLC Midwest

Thank you for sharing your personal experience in our community; we appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you again!

A Sad State of Maintenance

This place does not listen to its residents. The on site managers may be here a year and be fired. The current on site manager spends too much time in his office and does not listen.

The site is spending thousands to repair a yard sprinkler system that won’t be used after the first water bills come in. They should just fix the sprinklers where they have just laid sod. The money saved should be used to build a security fence, clean gutters twice per year, replace the wood around the windows, repair/replace fascia and soffits, buy a new station wagon, fix the lift on the bus.

I was very impressed with Southern Plantation. The people were very friendly and helpful. The rooms were a good size and the food plan menu was great. For the residents to have options is the right thing to do for any community of seniors. They need to have a choice and food that is good and tasty.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback; we appreciate your review of Southern Plantation!

Just not the right fit

This community was an older one and we felt that it was a nice set up as the assisted living was monitored very well and then they offered some very nice Cottages for those looking for Independent living. You do have the option to come to the dining room for your meals if you were in the cottages. I did not feel that my father-in-law would be a good fit in the Cottages and he felt he did not fit in the assisted living as they did not seem to be as active as he is. The rooms were nice and the staff did a nice job showing us around.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for sharing your experience; we appreciate your feedback! Our goal is to provide a five-star experience, so if there are specific areas of improvement that you feel would help us to achieve that goal, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our Executive Director with any additional input. We look forward to hearing from you.

A good stay

My mother in law had a nice respite stay at this community. The staff were friendly, encouraging and attentive to her needs. They offer a lot of activities. This is a very nice community. She enjoyed the food. This is a great place if you or your loved one needs help. I would recommend taking a look at it.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for sharing your recommendation of our community. We appreciate your confidence in us and we're so pleased that your mother's stay with us was pleasant!

Good care

We are happy with the care from the wonderful staff from this community. We like the staff who are caring and attentive. The menu is good, but the need to make sure the meals are warmer. I like knowing that she is activie with the other residents. We would recommend this community for the great care and value for the care of a loved one.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for sharing your review of Southern Plantation. We appreciate your feedback and your recommendation of our community!

Extremely pleased and moved in my mother-in-law.

They have been wonderful as far as follow up and meeting our needs. They are willing to work with you and your situation.[Removed] was wonderful to work with getting everything done for us.

SLC Midwest

Laurie, thank you for sharing your confidence in us; we appreciate your feedback!

Was Not Impressed

I was not impressed with my tour of this facility. The appearance of the community needs improvement. The atmosphere was depressing. The building is older, but they are making some improvements to the community. However at the moment I did not feel this was the community for us.

SLC Midwest

We appreciate your feedback, and were sorry to hear that your visit at Southern Plantation was not a five-star experience. We practice an open-door policy, and would love to hear any additional thoughts or comments you may have. Please feel free to reach out to our Executive Director at our community phone number. Thanks!

Loved this place, the rate is slightly over budget. Everyone was really nice.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for sharing your review; we truly appreciate your feedback!

Awesome place!

The staff is doing a great job with my dad. I really like everything that is going on. The community appears to be clean. They do offer a lot of activities for dad and he has tried to get involved. The only thing is dad does not like the food that they serve.

A New Community To See

When I took a tour I liked what I saw here. It is a newer facility and they have updated extras like an automatic door opener by pushing a button. I was walked through the community and they showed me an apartment. The tour guide was knowledgeable and gave me accurate information about the community.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for visiting our community, I am glad that you enjoyed the tour and received accurate answers for your questions. We would appreciate the opportunity to learn more about what could have made this a five star experience, and invite you to reach out to our Executive Director at our community phone number. We appreciate your honest review and feedback, and we hope to see you again!

Great Care

I was happy with this tour. It was not as homie as I wanted for my mom. The staff was very nice and caring. The did assist us with all of the questions. I would recommend this for great care for loved ones.

Need a remodel!

I took a tour of this community and felt that it was a little older than I would like for my loved one. The staff was helpful and really nice. The community was clean though and kept up. I would recommend this place to family's.

SLC Midwest

Thank you for taking time to stop by and tour our community! We were glad to learn you had such a positive experience. If there are any additional questions or comments that have come up since your visit, please do not hesitate to reach out to our team of directors at our community phone line.

Happy home

This is a great community for great care. The staff is outstanding. The meals are good and appealing. They offer great activities for everyone. We highly recommend this for good care.

My apartment meets my standards!!

The community is clean and the grounds are always neat. My main issue with this community is there is no follow through and a lack of communication. The activities director is wonderful as she is always there for the activities and she does follow through. The residents think a lot of her. Some days the food is better than others, however they are usually balanced meals.

SLC Midwest

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your experience here at Plantation. Also thank for your kind words regarding Emily. We strive to have open and honest communication, and believe that you will see a positive change since Mario has started as the Executive Director. As the Regional Director of Operations, I have much faith that the follow through will be much better under his leadership. If you have any additional input or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to Mario at our community line. Thank you again for your time; Jacques Leverette.

Impressive community!

The staff were wonderful and able to address all of my concerns. Southern Plantation is very nicely kept and clean. They offer a variety of activities for the residents to enjoy. We had a meal at the Southern Plantation during the tour and it was excellent! A little higher priced for the services offered in comparison to others.

Very nice place. Had wonferful conversatikns and tour with Lynda.

New resident

I did my research..I was concerned about my moms illness progressing faster in a strange environment. Since day one she has fit in, eating and making friends..This whole experience has been one of the hardest decision I have ever made..Thank you Linda, Allison, Michelle and Tammy for being right there with me. LOVE Southern Plantation

A Place for Mom will lead you to the best community for your loved one

A Special Thanks to Cindy with "A Place for Mom" for leading me to Southern Plantation and to Lynda & Allison for showing me what this place has to offer my Mom. This move has been a trying experience for her but everyone has done much to make it easier. We know she will be comfortable being able to live on her own but there will be someone near if she falls or has any other problems. I know this was is where the Lord wants her to be for all of us in the family.

Good experience at Southern Plantation!

My mom is doing fine since moving to Southern Plantation. It has been a good experience. She is adjusting well and and is very happy there. She does participate in activities they offer and she does enjoy them. The food is also very good.

I haven't had any complaints so far.

I haven't had any complaints so far. The people are nice, and the food is okay. It's a good place. I'm sleeping well at night. They are living up to my expectations. I am happy with them so far.

No complaints

Well, I've just been here a month. They have done everything really well. There are a lot of activities and I really don't have any complaints.

Southern Plantation a Nice Choice but Careful Advocacy Needed

We visited multiple communities in the Atlanta area and elsewhere for communities with independent/assisted living care and no other community compared to SP in terms of the facilities and meals offered for the cost. The cottage duplex setup for the independent living segment is impressive with the 1,000 square foot floor plan, the food is excellent, and the activities are well aligned and coordinated by very cheerful, friendly, and helpful staff. On the somewhat problematic side is the very bumpy administrative coordination we have seen so far, which we encountered from our very first visit. Some balls were dropped at various times, which required follow-up/advocacy, and services such as maintenance, housekeeping, and salon services have been less than hoped for. However, the visiting physician has been extremely helpful with getting the necessary specialists lined up for medical care. Overall, the positives outweigh the negatives, but I would caution children/caregivers who place their parents/seniors at SP to stay on top of the details and maintain close contact with staff. Ask questions and be an advocate, advice that applies no matter what community you choose, but in this case consistent follow-up is necessary.

Very friendly place!

They do a wonderful job here! It is a nice looking place, and I've been very impressed by how friendly and compassionate the aide staff are here. I'm very pleased with it!

Greatly Improved, New Ownership & Director

Much improved since new ownership and new executive director. Very responsive to my mother's needs so far. She lived in Independent Living (the Cottages) & now is in the Assisted Living in the Manor house. I like that the residents are treated with the respect they deserve as adults, nobody wants to be treated like a child. The main suggestion I would make is that they need to have a system in place for when a resident moves in and out of units. They need to have checklists to ensure everything is prepared for a resident in a unit before they move in. Nearly everything is included in the rent.

Very friendly and accommodating.

I found them to be very friendly and very accommodating. The facility is very clean. The value is excellent. They do a good job at taking care of my loved one. I haven't had any issues. The communication between the staff is good. They have offer quite a few activities. I would recommend the Southern Plantation to anyone. Overall, this is a friendly community. Everything has been going very good.

Nice place

We are pleased with our experience with Southern Plantation, they do a great job looking after my loved one. The facility is nice looking, clean, and well kept, and the staff is friendly and professional. I would recommend them to anyone looking into senior care in the area.

Not a great experience so far

Our experience with Southern Plantation has not been a good one, unfortunately. We chose this place based mostly on the price and what we could afford, and not we are paying for it. While the staff are friendly for the most part, the care and communication has been incredibly inconsistent. We're constantly hearing different things about what level of care our loved one needs, what services are being provided for her, etc. It has just been a real pain all around.

SLC Southeast

I am very disappointed and sorry to learn that your loved one has not had the best experience thus far while residing at our community. At Southern Plantation we are committed to deliver the best quality of care to our residents and exceed their expectations. I invite you to contact me directly to further discuss how we failed to exceed these expectations. I look forward to learn how we can improve the quality of services going forward. Please feel free to contact me at [removed] or [removed]

Just what I wanted

Southern Plantation independent living cottages are perfect for me at this time of my life. I can pretty well take care of myself but poor eyesight and breathing problems was making a recluse of me and dependent on others. Residence and staff here at Southern Plantation are very friendly and helpful. There are shuttles every day to local stores, doctors offices, churches, etc. They can put you in touch with people you can hire to help you with individual problem. Activities from games, cards, bingo, to bible studies or just rides in the countryside, are scheduled weekly. Residents care about and look after each other and the community as a whole.

WHAT IS UP?

I agree with responses of others in regards to food and staffing. WHY DID SOUTHERN PLANTATION RATING FALL FROM AN "A" TO "B" - from a mid 90 rating to an 80 rating?

Beware! Not a great (or good) place for your loved one!!!

My dad stayed here for a year and we were so fortunate to be able to move him out and into my home (once we did all the handicapped renovations). While the staff was friendly, there seems to be no oversight to ensure the proper care for the residents. The staff to resident ratio is crazy (1 to 12 or worse) and the residents pay the price for this by suffering needlessly is wet clothing, sitting in their wheelchairs or in a sofa for hours on end, maybe watching TV or facing a wall. The activities lady does her best to keep everyone occupied and entertained but often finds herself helping the caregivers with the resident's needs. My family had to help with my dad to keep him from sitting in soiled pants for too long, or to take him to the bathroom or to bed, instead of waiting for a caregiver to have time for him. We complained to the state authorities (using info from signs hanging in the facility) but there was no resolution. There just doesn't seem to be enough oversight to ensure that these facilities are run appropriately for the care of our loved ones, particular when you consider the monthly payment for these "services." It's been two years since we moved my dad out and he is doing so much better now! He is happy and healthy and in the best possible condition considering his medical circumstances. I often roamed the facility, either looking for a caregiver or looking for a supply and saw how dirty the place is, the cleaning lady was just overwhelmed with the amount of work that needed to be done to get the place back in shape. The washers and dryers were old and rickety, with clothes getting mixed up or lost. We just did my dad's laundry ourselves and carried them back and forth between the facility and our home. Bottom line, this place is horribly understaffed and the personnel need training and oversight. My dad had bruises and scrapes and scabs when he lived here, he hasn't had any of those things since we moved him back home. We saw countless other residents being [removed] or handled roughly and spent as much time there as possible to make sure my dad wasn't handled the same way. I just want to make sure that others know what they're getting into before sending your loved one here; it's not as nice and safe as they make it seem. Oh and the pictures on the web site are old and not reflective of the current state of the facility. The new director, while probably nice, seems to cut and paste her responses on the various websites when someone posts a bad review. It's not personal but, I just want people to know the facts before moving their loved one in!!!

Review of Southern Plantation in Loganville, GA

Well run and pleased with quick service and sitters.

AMAZING

This place for my mom is wonderful. There are compassionate loving individuals throughout the facility! AMAZING!!

So far it's going pretty good.

So far it's going pretty good. It's clean, and everyone is real nice and cordial. The food is good, she likes that. They do activities and things. So far I haven't had any issues. It's still such a new transition, but so far, so good.

No AC at Southern Plantation

My parents lived there. The air conditioner was broken in the entry hall and the hall on which they lived from April till September, 2014. It was over 90 degrees and horrible working conditions for the employees and receptionist. We could not go sit in the front community area because of the heat when we visited. I asked numerous times about the AC and they kept saying they were getting it fixed - finally in September. That was 5 months of unbearable heat. I would not recommend this facility. The food is bad too.

I regret not reporting them to the health department.

SLC Southeast

Thank you for taking the time to review our community. At Southern Plantation we take pride in the excellent care that we provide to our residents as well as making the work environment pleasant for our staff. I appreciate your feedback and am sorry to hear that you experienced some concerns. If a resident, family member or staff member has a concern we most definitely want this brought to our attention so that we may take the necessary steps to resolve the concern as quickly as possible. If a resolution does not occur timely, please know that as the Executive Director of Southern Plantation, I have an open door policy and I encourage you to reach out to me so that I may follow up to quickly resolve the concern. My phone number at Southern Plantation is [removed] or [removed]. Thanks, Anita Khan, Executive Director

Doing a great job so far

I think they've done a great job looking after my loved one so far at Southern Plantation. She is having a lot of difficulty settling in, but they are doing their best to help her get used to her new living situation. They're very patient and sweet with her, even when she goes out of her way to make things difficult. All of the staff are very friendly, even the executive director will stop and try and calm her down if she seems distressed.

Review of Southern Plantation Alzheimer's / Memory Care in Loganville, GA

9/19/14 11:30am 2B/2B duplex/cottage #13A: Clean, some fresh paint, nice space. Staff and clients seem very friendly. Lunch okay. May take a 2nd look.

A nice place

I've been impressed with this place overall. The staff are friendly and they do a good job with the care. It's a nice looking place, and they always keep it neat and tidy. At first I was not impressed with the food, but they recently got some new cooks and it seems to be improving.

We saw it in January. ...

We saw it in January. We liked it a lot. There were some things I wanted like a swimming pool, more & better activities. I will put my input in if we chose this resident. It was neat, clean & staff extremely friendly. I spoke to one resident who was very friendly. We both like this place and feel we would be happy here.

Shared bathrooms

The one thing that stood out to me about this place was that they had shared bathrooms and I didn't like that

SLC Southeast

In our Memory Care Neighborhood we offer both private and semi-private suites. The Private Suite is a great option for residents and families that can afford to pay privately. The Semi-Private Accommodation is a nice alternative if you need quality services and care but do not have the budget for a private apartment. We welcome you to visit us to learn more about our extensive services and amenities and to find out which is the best option for your situation.

Staff is working hard to make this a ...

Staff is working hard to make this a better place. We are pleased with how caring all the aides and med techs are, and my mother seems to respond well to them. Biggest concern is a bit of iinconsistency of food. Sometimes it is great, others lacking. I know the food service director is attempting to get more balance in meals, but there is often too much starch. Recently my mother chose a BLT wrap for the noon meal, and there was barely ANYTHING in the wrap. One evening when we ate with her, her soup was not even lukewarm. Little [removed] pineapple slices rather than chunks, which are easier for seniors. Often food is not proper (hot) temperature when served. Some meals service is fast, other days 30 minutes passes before entre served. BUT, I know hard work is being done to improve consistent standards. There is a good range of activities, and staff reminds residents when activities are to take place.

Really Went Downhill

My mother was there for 5 years. The first two years it was really good and it just went downhill after that. There were 3 or 4 different owners and after the first on it was not good. My mother went without hot water in her room for 6 months. The were friendly but by the time were were moving my mother out it was not clean. Actually, her room was filthy when we moved her out. The new nurse there is pretty ignorant. The staff are told to speak only to the POA about the care. When I went in there to ask questions they wouldn't tell me anything. They said I had to call my brother. Another thing they did was serve them ice cream after every meal and my mother is diabetic!

SLC Southeast

As the Executive Director at Southern Plantation I am deeply disappointed to hear that your mother did not have a better experience while residing at our community. At Senior Lifestyle, our top priority is to deliver the best quality services and care for a diverse population of residents. Part of our commitment includes effective communication with appropriate parties that honors the residents wishes and privacy. I would appreciate if you would contact me directly, by phone or via e-mail, to share any suggestions you may have to improve our quality of services or our processes going forward. I am looking forward to hearing from you. Sincerely, Anita Khan [removed] [removed]

Mom and I couldn't be happier! Amazing!

Oh my god the place is spotless and they clean my mothers room twice a week. My husband and I keep saying that we want to move there. They're very friendly, very helpful; so nice and so sweet. Everybody knows my name there, everyone knows my mom and my husband. We are greeted everytime we go in there, even if there's no one at the front desk one of the nurses or aids will great us. At frist I thought it was really expensive, but after about a month I realized it was worth every penny. They change my moms bed twice a week, she gets three meals a day and they're very good meals. They have snacks so they're never hungry and they check on her, they're so sweet. She doesn't think twice about anything anymore, she acts like she owns the place, its fabulous. Way better than I hoped it could be. I don't have to worry about her and I know if something happens they're going to call me and I know they're going to take care of her. Anybody who's looking for a place for their mother and loves their mother as much as I love mine would be crazy not to do Southern Plantation. it's lickity split clean, you jsut can't ask for anything better.

A caregivers point of view

My partents started living there and now it is just my mom. She has been there for 3 years. I have so far been very pleased with the Plantation and still to this day would tell you I would want to be there. We have had a few issues but they have been addressed and taken care of in a reasonable time. My mom likes it there and feels safe. They have been under new management since about May of 2012 and are now trying to do some upgrades. It is a very big place but they have lots of activities for the residents to do and try to keep them motivated.

Older facility. Built in 1994. Remind...

Older facility. Built in 1994. Reminds me of a hotel or college dorm. Could use a paint job and new carpet. Rooms are rooming.

talked with residents. Very favorable...

talked with residents. Very favorable Director okay;requestede info Good choice. Spoke w Director while in Pensacola

Quite big. Might be overwhelming.

Quite big. Might be overwhelming.

Very nice place. The Director who ga...

Very nice place. The Director who gave us the tour knew the residents by name, even the newest member of the cottage community. They seem to have a lot of activities to keep the residents active.

We make true retirement living easy and enjoyable at Southern Plantation. Whether in our independent living Villas and Cottages, our assisted living Manor House, or our Alzheimer’s Legacy Court, residents focus on living each day to the fullest. We greet all residents and their families with understanding and welcome them with open arms. We even have accommodations for those residents who just need a short-term. This is available through our Respite Care program.

Life at Southern Plantation offers all of the comforts of home without the challenges, problems, and responsibilities of home ownership. Our residents can have all of the independence of living at home or all of the support our community can provide.

Legacy Court is committed to providing the finest program available for families and residents living with Alzheimer’s disease and Dementia. We offer a home-like setting that encourages residents to participate in activities, tailored to every level of participation, thus boosting their self-esteem. Our program caters to residents’ individual needs – physically, emotionally and spiritually. This is the premise upon which our program is built. For our family members we offer the education and resolution to the stress associated with supported care for someone living with Alzheimer’s or Dementia related conditions.