Be careful [Removed]

Our loved one has been in their care for many years. While she was able to care for herself, everything was fine. As her medical needs increased, the level of service decreased. We are not happy at all with the level of care and the lack of response from the staff. They are not properly equipped to handle individuals that need significant hands-on care. In addition, we strongly believe that our loved one is being given medication that is not prescribed to her - we actually have evidence to support that theory.

A visit

This is a nice community. We liked the people we met. This community did not offer the respite stay option we were looking for at the time.

A great place

This community is clean and we are hoping to move my loved one into this community. They offer some nice amenities and activities. The people we met were nice and knowledgable. I would recommend taking a look into this community.

I Thought It Would Have Been Better

My mom is in the level 1 Memory Care and it has not been going it's best. People there are very comatose and there is no interaction. They take long to get to her, I have pushed the call button and waited 20 minutes. There may not be enough staff to oversee the community. I have left messages for the director and i have not got a response. The meals are not tasting good, it is bland and watery. They have activities but It seems that my daughter and I are the only ones taking her to them otherwise she will be sitting in her room. the community is outdated, when I have to leave through their doors, there are no automatic open buttons and the staff don't help.

I'm home!

Everything is so wonderful here. The staff is outstanding and they really care about there residents. The food is not always the best, but they do offer healthy choices. The community is very beautiful and they offer so many activities. My loved one loves the exercise. Also my loved one likes that the rooms are big and bright.

Good for independent residents but not those with more physical needs.

When we moved my mother to Great Oaks she was in one section of the facility. After one month, Care management moved her to a different section because of the staff to patient ratio and the time it took to meet her needs. Although she did have some cognitive issues, she interacted with people, made friends, and could communicate her needs. As she was in a power wheel chair, she required a handicap sink which the original room did not offer. In order to accommodate this need and the need for better resident/staff care, they moved her to the memory care section. Unfortunately, this also required her to give up her power wheel chair which devastated her along with being placed with residents who were not very interactive. I have had issues with follow-up on concerns I presented and with unreturned phone calls. However, the rooms are very nice and clean and I have had no problems with the care staff. I do think this facility could have better separation for care based on staff/resident ratio for those residents requiring more physical attention. We feel my mother was moved to memory section before it was truly warranted. Therefore, I am disappointed based upon my initial expectations of care. I chose Great Oaks to keep mom close by and because the cost was less expensive than another facility I toured.

A Good Choice

I think it has just been the overall atmosphere and welcoming experience of the place that is so good. My loved one feels very comfortable and very safe there and I think she has made a good choice in choosing Great Oaks.

Nice place, overall

I think they do a good job overall at Great Oaks! The facility is nice looking, clean, and well kept, and the staff is friendly and professional, They've lived up to our expectations, and we really don't have any complaints!

A safe, caring environment!

My Mother has been a resident of Great Oaks for over seven years, moving from assisted living to memory care in the Gardens as her needs increased. She has received excellent care from employees who are capable and caring. She will tell you that "they take care of me". This includes personal care, both physically and emotionally, and family notification of any concerns noted by caretakers. Although she misses family, she is contented and sees Great Oaks as her home as long as she needs it.

They have been very helpful

Happy Mom

My mom is very happy here. She has her independence, but still has help available.

Very nice place!

Overall our experience with Great Oaks has been a good one! The staff are all very friendly and professional, and they make sure that your loved one gets the kind of care that is best for them. They're very conscious of if something is not working out, or care needs are not being met, and we really appreciate how they worked with us to get everything the way it needed to be! One of the big deciding factors for us with Great Oaks was that they have multiple secure outdoor areas for their memory care patients. Mom loves to be outside, but does need to be somewhere secure.

Great Oak has done everything they could to get my mom settled in. This was a big shock to us, 2 months ago mom was living at home now she need more help and security of this center.

Prescribed medications without my consent

Before moving my 90 year old mother to Great Oaks, she was in good health with a strong appetite despite living with dementia. We had a prescription for ativan to make the airplane ride easier, but told the Great Oaks staff the she was not to have any more, it seriously diminishes her quality of life.

A non-medical employee scheduled a doctors appointment without my knowledge or consent, and had a prescription written for an evening ativan dose, also without my consent. About two weeks later the same employee scheduled a second appointment with a different doctor, who was unknown to me, again without my knowledge or consent, and he removed her regular medication and prescribed a morning ativan dose, again without my consent.

During this time I was told that my mother was not eating well. Of course ativan, besides being a debilitating drug, is an appetite suppressant. A week after the second appointment I was told that her medication was out of balance and she needed hospital care to re-balance it. This was from the doctor who removed her regular medication!

I got her back on her regular medication, and tried to get her off of ativan, but it was too late. After 32 days of care with Great Oaks, my mother was admitted to a hospital suffering from malnutrition and dehydration. Within six weeks my mother had died.

They are doing very well, we are very happy with them.

They are doing very well, we are very happy with them. They are taking great care.

Too far away from family. ...

Too far away from family. Cancelled our appt there.

Wonderful Place

My Mother is a complainer, but when we moved her to Great Oaks in Monroe, she was thrilled. All she has is praise for her room, the people, the care and the food. My family was very pleased. She us kept active with all the activities. When the weather is good, they have a gardening area where the residents can actually plant flowers. This is perfect for my Mother because working in the flower garden was one of her favorite things.

Too expensive

The value was horrible for what we paid and no more care than we got. We wanted a one bedroom apartment, comparing the two we went up a little bit to get the one bedroom apartment for him. The activities were good, it's just that they didn't really participate or not in the activities because he was in the memory care so most of the time he was in his room and would just go out on the patio to smoke. He thinks he doesn't need medication and he needs encouragement to take his meds so the nurses gave them to him and we didn't have a problem with that but he got kicked out while we were trying to tweak his meds.

Toured with director and had lunch. ...

Toured with director and had lunch. The place is very nice and a bit larger than we were looking for but the price is better at 2600. Pharmacy on site and a lot of activities.

Mother's choice.

Mother's choice.

At Great Oaks,
we understand " home" is more than a structure with four sides.
Home is a place where your feel cared for and nurtured. Home is a
place to laugh and cry, as well as, learn and grow. Home is a
place to begin again.

We offer a wide range of services
to meet a variety of needs in a caring and supportive
environment. We serve the very active, independent resident, as
well as, those needing more specialized care and oversight. We
have programs designed to meet the needs of all our residents.

Our mission at Great Oaks
is to embrace and celebrate the lives of our residents by providing
exceptional serivce that maximizes their independence, improves their
quality of life, and nurtures their mind, body, and spirit.

We've built our home just for you...Come Home to Great Oaks!