Discovery Village at Melbourne - Melbourne, FL

Do your research before chosing Discovery Village

It's a shame that things have gotten so bad after Discovery Village took over. The majority of the established Management Team left and those that remain appear to not care about what is going on with their residents. The housekeeping is terrible, we constantly have to ask for my family members bathroom to be cleaned. I have photo's of mildew growing in the commode, that's how [Removed]the housekeeping staff is. The food has gone down hill and the portion sizes are not enough to keep a toddler happy. They advertise that they offer snacks in the café but you are lucky to find a broken cookie at any given time. Their water station in assisted living is covered with plastic wrap. This is what residents who pay good money get from this organization?. It's so sad that things changed so drastically for these poor residents.

Best in area

As a retired Geriatric Social Worker I can be pretty critical when it comes to moving a friend/ family member into a facility. When I found Discovery Village (formerly Sonata) I knew from the beginning it was the right place.

My 88 year old friend started out in assisted living and the moved to Memory Care about a year later. The transition was seamless!

My friend spent 2 years in Memory Care at Discovery Village enjoying the performers brought in to entertain, the games and exercise programs. When able she participated in every activity.

Discovery Village was attentive to her particular needs, there was never an odor and each staff member knew how to handle her during the ups and downs of dementia.

Was it perfect? No, nothing is. While staff does a great job with privacy protection, sometimes I felt they were too protective. But my concerns were always listened to and addressed when possible.

I would highly recommend Discovery Village

An easy move from Texas to adapting to the Florida lifestyle.

Our Mom chose Discovery Village after visiting many Independent Living communities the summer of 2016. She was attracted by the pool, the activities and the upscale environment. She moved in October 2016 when the first available unit became available. She quickly settled in, enjoying the food and activities. She is highly mobile but legally blind, makes friends easily and has enjoyed finding others that are similar. The outings are plentiful, she enjoys the local musical events at the Village and the outings. The Bible Study and Book Club are enjoyable for her. Other activities include crafts an exercise room, daily group exercise and now that the weather is warm water aerobics in the pool - Mom loves this!
They are very protective of the residents, as they should be and we are happy for the security.

Great Memory Care of Discovery at Melbourne

I am very impressed with the memory care community at the Discovery at Melbourne. My Father has been a very happy resident for the past year after he had a stroke. The caregivers listen and keep in touch with me about my Father's condition. [Removed] with physical therapy is excellent and has my Father walking with a walker when he was in a wheelchair before he arrived at The memory care community at the Discovery at Melbourne. The design is superb with no long hallways so the nurses and caregivers can see everyone and all rooms. To me this is the perfect design, so my Father gets the best care. The activities Director keeps everyone involved with a variety of activities and the nurses are excellent and take great care of my Father. These are the reasons for my great recommendation.

Look Elsewhere

This community has taken a turn for the worse the past few months and it's upsetting. Today was the second time in 2 months that "an illness" is going around the community and staff is advising against visiting.

Yesterday while visiting the memory care area, the staff was watching "Paternity Court" with several residents. Seriously? Last week it was TMZ. Neither of these are appropriate.

[Removed] the housekeeper spends more time on her cell phone in the corner then cleaning, the place is a mess!

The back entry door to memory care has been broken for over two months and I've seen residents walk right out.

The home office is unresponsive to complaints.

No longer the beautiful, caring community it was once.

Brian Morrison

Thank you for your review as we always value feedback as an opportunity to improve our business, services, and care. If you wish to discuss your comments more in-depth, please contact our Executive Director, Ron Aylward at [removed] and it would be his pleasure to converse with you. We value our residents and strive to provide exceptional personal care to each and every one of them. We also offer a fun, purpose-driven activities program to all of our residents and take pride in providing a clean environment. We look forward to speaking with you.

Not the right fit!

The tour was okay that we took. The people were friendly and they assisted us through the tour. It just was not the appropriate place to take mom. Also we wanted her to be closer to us so that we can visit more.

Awful

Looks can be deceiving and definitely are here. DON'T put your loved one in the memory care area at this facility. You won't know what's going on when you aren't around and he/she won't be able to tell you. Most of the employees are awesome and very caring, but the Management (past and present) is very arrogrant and obviously doesn’t put much emphasis on the Memory Care side – they seem to focus their attention on the Independent and Assisted Living residents. We heard many promises while there but no follow through.
We had endless problems there for the many months while my dad was there. Only one example is that we noticed the memory care residents are not encouraged to drink fluids throughout the day which is very important to older patients, and they staff doesn’t change them as often as they should, so they sit around in wet and filth. These two issues contributed to my dad getting 2 urinary tract infections while there, which led to his immobility, which led to severe untreated bed sores, then hospitalization. Then [Removed] (the new Director) told us it was very unlikely my dad would be allowed to come back to the facility from the hospital because he had become immobile and had unhealing bed sores (caused by their care or lack of it while there)!
My dad never regained his mobility. We moved him to a much more caring facility in Merritt Island, however unfortunately he never fully recovered.
Also, I posted this review on their website and it conveniently for them is not visible.
I will never forgive Sonata/Discovery. Be Careful - things don't change there.

Brian Morrison

Thank you for your review and empathize with your situation. Your father had several issues which worsened over a short period of time while living with us. Due to these issues he was transferred to higher level care facilities. We made several opportunities to educate you and a friend on you father’s medical condition and what should be expected during the decline he was having. You refused and the denial of the clinical advanced dementia was very prevalent. Again we are very sorry for loss. Your father, as all our residents of memory care, are taken care of with great care, respect and love each and every day.

A Great Place to Call Home!

From the tour, to the move in process, to my Mom settling in - it's been a great experience. The staff couldn't be friendlier and more helpful. Karen was there every step of the way, and continues to check in on Mom regularly. The nursing staff is top notch and knows my Mom's needs before she does. The food is fantastic and she enjoys making new friends in the dining room. The building is beautiful, like being on a cruise every day!

Nice building, high turnover

Sonata is a nice place to live. Nice building, friendly staff, 3 meals a day and activities. However they do oversell it, don't believe everything they say during the sales pitch. Rides to the doctor are sporadic and unreliable, if you have something important you'd better make your own arrangements. Staff turnover is very high, which can be confusing to some of the older residents. Staff encouraged to call residents by their first names, a nice touch but irritating when everybody quits. Food and food service goes through cycles, sometimes it's good and sometimes it isn't depending on who the current staff is. Our relative got a good deal for a year and enjoyed living here, after a year it was overpriced understaffed and services had gone downhill. She moved.

Hi Bob,

I appreciate your input. You are correct, we have had some staff turnover that we have had to work through. I myself started with Sonata as the Executive Director in October 2015. I’m hoping to bring and encourage more staff continuity. I have over 15 years of experience as an Executive Director of senior living communities with the last 13 of those years with the same community. With any new Executive Director, change, unfortunately, can be expected. Staff continuity starts with the Executive Director. I am fortunate that I have individuals that have worked with me for the last 13 years that want to continue that working relationship and have either recently been hired by Sonata at Melbourne or have applied.

We have re-vamped our food service to incorporate more fresh herbs and spices to go along with all freshly prepared meals. We operate our dining room as much like a restaurant as possible and have received many accolades from our residents with our food service changes.

I hope, if you ever have the opportunity to stop back in, that you would be impressed by our changes. I appreciate your comments and take everything you have stated as an opportunity for growth.

Sincerely,
Executive Director

Sonata at Melbourne

Impressed with activities daily for those in the Alzheimer's care progr. Also the layout of the bedrooms allows for more interaction amongst residents with bedrooms surrounding a central activity area and activity therapy staff assigned to the unit. Staff is very active and friendly toward others. They keep us informed of things and respond to questions and concerns of loved ones. The gardens are great for visits with mom. Very easy to eat with mom at the dining area - pleasant. The brunches are great to eat with mom and extended family as a group. Food is very good.

Scott Anderson

Todd, thank you for the kind words. It's much appreciated!!

All good experiences!

Our experience with Sonata at Melbourne has been a very positive one. I've heard nothing but good things from my loved ones, and every time I've visited they've made a good impression!

Scott Anderson

Thank you for the kind words!!

Here we go again with the turnover!!

I have a family member who has lived at Sonata for 3 years. We have seen an incredible amount of turnover in the management team, and now to know that the Executive Director, Wellness Director and the Dining Director are all gone/resigned is VERY disappointing, especially when, for the first time in 3 years we noticed a positive change. This only leads me to believe that the problem has got to be the SVP of Operations. The owner should really take a hard look at the two women that are running his company. THEY are the PROBLEM!! Give your residents and families consistency.

Scott Anderson

Being new to Sonata, I can only provide my experience with the SVP of Operations. She has been nothing short of supportive, helpful, encouraging, and appreciative. As the new Executive Director of Sonata, I bring over 16 years of experience as an Administrator of Assisted Living Communities, with the last 14 years with the same community. I like to pride myself in the ability to stabilize a community and to bring continuity not only to our residents and families, but also to our caring staff. Kerri, our new Wellness Director has been working with me for the last 13 years, at the same community, and has worked every position within the Resident Care Team, starting with me as a CNA, then as an LPN, then LPN Supervisor, then as the last 6 years as a Director of Nursing/Wellness Director. Our intention is that our familiarity with each other will help bring stability to residents, families, and all the staff of Sonata at Melbourne which in turn will help keep turnover at a minimum. Yes there will be changes, but they will only be for the betterment of our residents at Sonata. We are off to a great start!

Everything Is Good

I can not think of anything they can improve on. My mother-in-law is living in the independent section and the apartment is beautiful, the housekeeping is good, and she doesn't seem disappointed in the food. I think everything is good.

Wonderful Decision!

My Mom moved into Sonata about a month ago and what a wonderful experience it's been for the both of us. We had a hard time choosing a community since there are so many in this area, but the salespeople were wonderful to work with and this swayed our decision. The team at Sonata has helped us every step of the way, from the tours, to the assessment, to the paperwork, to move in day. Mom has made many new friends since moving to Sonata and I see a new sense of energy in her. She has so much to look forward to that she didn't have at home. She enjoys meals with friends, the art class, the card games and especially the live music. She has staff that cares for her and she is happy!

good competent staff

I am especially impressed with the staff at Sonata at Melbourne. Their have a really good attitude, and are extremely competent. I have been very well pleased and would recommend them.

find another facility

I would not recommend this facility to anyone. Their care is substandard. The facility Dr is usless Dud to these people our loved one is dying. And to top it off they are trying to accuse u a of stealing a 50 dollar mirowave. They throw away expensive meds and the residents do not get the care that they require. House keeping is inadequate except for emptying the trash the rooms are never cleaned all this facility is interested in is your mony

Community Representative

Mr. Cox, we are so sorry about your experience with our community.
Our residents’ safety and security is our first priority and we have many policies in place to promote that goal. I have looked into your expressed concerns, and although it is our policy to dispose of resident medications or send back to the pharmacy if they are not picked up by a family member within 15 days of move out, we were not as proactive as we could have been in notifying you of this policy. Additionally, my Business Office Director relayed to me that when items were removed from the resident’s apartment, the microwave was gone and she inquired if the family had accidentally taken it. The family said no, and we did not charge for it. We apologize if this offended anyone in any manner.
Finally, all of our residents are afforded complete freedom of choice when it comes to choosing their physician, whether it be our house physician or another provider. We take these issues very seriously and working closely with our team members to discuss issues when they arise and determine how we can best ensure this does not happen again.
We appreciate your feedback and the opportunity to improve our systems and communication with all our families.

Sincerely,
Sandy Richards
Executive Director

Knowledgeable Staff

I am in the process of looking for an assisted living for my Mother and was fortunate to have the opportunity to tour with Karen and John last week. Karen was very knowledgeable of not only the community, but of the rules and regulations of Assisted Living and provided me with great answers to my MANY questions. We are still meeting as a family to decide on the next step, but Sonata at Melbourne is at the top of our list!

Thank you for the wonderful review!

It's the best!

My mother, who is 90, has lived in assisted living at Sonata at Melbourne since January of this year. May father died and she was moved very suddenly - not a planned transition. And, she has some dementia which made all the changes that much more challenging. She has thrived at Sonata because the staff sincerely wants the residents to be happy and to do well. She has participated in activities, made friends with the other residents and generally adjusted very well. There were several minor medical issues because she hadn't kept up with appointments during my father's illness, and the nursing staff at Sonata has been very attentive and quick to respond to her needs. My family is very fortunate to have found Sonata!

Wonderful people!

Sonata is a beautiful Community with friendly, caring staff. My Mom loves living there and I enjoy visiting her each week. The food is great, like going to a restaurant every day and she loves all the Musical Activities they have. I would highly recommend Sonata to anyone looking for their loved one!

Community Representative

Thank you! We love having your mom at Sonata!

Highly recommend Sonata at Melbourne

Excellent care from people that take their responsibility seriously. Warm and friendly. Constantly trying to improve and offer superior service, quality dining and a wide variety of activities for everyone. Highly recommend.

Thank you, we love having your Dad here with us!

Sonata is perfect for my mom

We moved my mother into Sonata last month. She has Alzheimer's/Dementia, without the need for personal assistance otherwise. The staff has been so kind and helpful with her; they are very patient and understanding with her memory loss. Mom has trouble finding her way sometimes, so the staff will come and get her for activities that she may be interested in. They also helped her to meet other residents, introducing her to people and pairing her with folks for meals. Mom had been so isolated living at home, which made her very distant and depressed. Now she is so much happier and loves meeting people and participating in activities. Most of the staff is very friendly and goes out of their way to help. Another important aspect was memory care, which is located within the same facility. Compared to other communities that we toured, Sonata is a good value and we found the price to be in line or better than some other communities. The facility is beautiful, the staff is helpful and friendly, the food is great, they offer a wide variety of activities. Mom says she feels like she's living in a resort!

Thank you for your kind words, we love having your Mom here with us!

Was very impressed with the...

Was very impressed with the facilities and services available for their residents. Karen Riddle was very informative and professional and answered all questions I had even before I asked them.

Thank you for your kind words, we appreciate them. If there is anything I can do to assist with the transition, please do not hesitate to contact me!

Sonata is awesome!

Sonata and Melbourne is an awesome Sr. Living facility. Deciding to move my Dad to a Sr. Independent living facility was a hard one as he did not want to give up his independence. Loretta Diotte welcomed us to Sonata, took us on a tour, showed us apartments, and answered any questions. She helped my Dad and I to feel welcomed. Since I live 3 hours away, it is important for me to know my Dad was in a beautiful, caring, helpful, safe environment. Everyone is helpful, friendly and patient which is very important when dealing with Seniors. Sonata staff arranges activities which keep residents engaged and active. They even take residents to doctor appointments if close by. I highly recommend Sonata as a wonderful place for yourself or your loved ones. Loretta is the heart of Sonata and truly cares about everyone. She is compassionate and, to me, sold my family on the community. Sonata is truly a wonderful community in which to live and make friends!

I would want to live here m...

I would want to live here myself! What a gorgeous place...... Loved the full size appliances, the washer dryer in the apartment, as well as being pet friendly. Loretta was amazing and so informative. What I liked the most about this place is the separation of Independent Living and those who need more care. As we toured 6 different facilities, this was the only one where there weren't people who were farther along in their needs sitting in the lobbies, which to me would be a reminder of just how close I am to being in this situation. As an independent living candidate, this was very important to me and my friend. This home would have been my friends first choice, had her daughters not decided to move her North.

Amazing experience!

On extremely short notice my sister and I moved my parents into Sonata. We both live in the northeast and have no extended family in FL although my parents have lived there for over 50 yrs and didn't want to relocate. Loretta and the team at Sonata were amazing! My mother was settled into an apartment and my father was moved into a room with a higher level of nursing care. This was all accomplished in less than two weeks due to the dedication of the Sonata staff. The care and attention that my parents are receiving has exceeded our expectations. The facility is reminds us of a five star resort. Thank you Sonata!

Life is good when you find contentment!

At Sonata, they aim to achieve comfort, satisfaction, and contentment for you. They show how much they care in every smile. Making you happy is their aim at all times. They strive 24 hours a day to please you and fulfill your every wish. The entire complex is exceptionally clean. You'll love the chef and his delicious creations. The people at Sonata feel like friends right from the beginning. Home is where the heart is and they truly try to make this your home, sweet home. Make this your home.

Loretta Diotte

Thank you for your kind words! It means a lot to us, that every resident are pleased with their care and our Community as a whole!!

Gorgeous facility and friendly staff!

We are so glad we decided on Sonata for my father's respite care. The design, layout, and décor of this building is so beautiful. The rooms are exceptionally nice and there are so many lovely common areas for socializing and enjoying the abundance of activities. I was especially delighted by how clean everything was. My father loved the food they served and I can agree, as I enjoyed two lunches there myself. The best part of Sonata, however, is the staff. From the directors, to the nurses, to the servers in the restaurant, everyone gives you a smile, a friendly greeting, and is extremely helpful. I met several of the residents myself and enjoyed chatting with them as to what they thought of Sonata. They all told me how much they enjoyed living here. Whether you need independent or assisted living, Sonata should be at the top of your list to check out.

Loretta Diotte

Thank you for choosing Sonata at Melbourne! We appreciate your kind feedback! Thank you so much...

Discovery Village at Melbourne is a luxury rental continuum of care campus offering independent living, assisted living and memory care assisted living.