Sommerset Retirement Community - Sterling, VA

Facility was older but clean and well kept up. 1 bedroom was spacious and even had a small balcony or patio. Cost per month was almost the same as Greensprings or Goodwin House, although they were offering a special if you move in before Dec. 31 monthly fee was $2,000 per month instead of $2,500. It would be more sq. ft at Sommerset, however, I was looking for something that offered assisted living in the same facility. Outside grounds and location was good. Had to still pay internet fee and electric fee which probably was at least $50 per month for electric.

Rachelle Mitchell

Thank you so much for your review! Staffed 24 hours a day by professionals with decades of experience in senior living, Sommerset is an independent, full-service rental retirement community that welcomes active seniors!

The best!

By far the best retirement community in VA

Rachelle Mitchell

Thank you, Ms. Matsuki! We're glad to have your family apart of ours! We love our residents!

Fun amenities!!

My mother has recently moved into this community and even though she has had a tough time adjusting we are happy with how things are going overall. The staff have been pleasant to work with and very helpful to my mothers needs. She enjoys playing bingo and is looking forward to going on some of the trips with the other residents. The only thing I would say needs improvement is the food. She is not impressed at all and does not like there is no variety. My mother wishes the food was prepared on campus and not somewhere else.

Happy

We lucked out finding this facility. It suited our loved one perfectly. It is homey, clean, spacious apartments, great staff. When we walked in we were impressed. No odors, I'm sure many expect disinfectant or "other" odors but nothing here.
We moved my mother-in-law in 2 weeks ago and she is adjusting well with no complaints other than she has not finished unpacking.
I have been able to call in and find out how she's doing from the staff, this has put us at ease. So far overall we are very pleased.

Rachelle Mitchell

Hello! Thank you so much for the 5 star review! We greatly appreciate your time and your interest in Sommerset! We are blessed to have Mom with us at Sommerset! Have a wonderful day!

My Mom Likes The Community

This community is a good fit for my mom and we are very happy with the care. She likes the meals and it seems to taste good. My mom has not been on an outing yet but she enjoys being there and she has made friends. The staff keep the facility clean and maintain the property.

Good Morning!
Thank you so much for the 5 star review! We greatly appreciate your time and your interest in Sommerset! We will be sure to encourage Mom to take a trip with us , stop by the front desk anytime to discuss! We really would like to thank you again for making Sommerset, home! Have a wonderful day!

Great place to live

My mother moved to Somerset from New York two months ago. She LOVES it there. The team and residents at Somerset made her feel so welcome. Her apartment is well-maintained and very spacious. The dining hall is welcoming and the food delicious. They provide many activities for the residents.

Rachelle Mitchell

Thank you so much for your 5 star review! The staff at Sommerset will be pleased to hear how happy mom is here and how pleased the family is! Many Blessings to you and we hope to serve your family for many enjoyable years to come! Thank you again!!!

LIVING AT sOMMERSET - MY FIRST RETIREMENT COMMUNITY

This is my first experience at living in a senior retirement facility (advertised as independent living but with many caregivers in residence), and I'm finding it difficult to adjust to the restrictions, though they are few for my age group (early 80s). Also, I gave up driving, which has added to my stress and therefore to my adjustment overall. I think Sommerset really tries to meet all needs, subject to budget constraints and the capabilities of the residents. The staff are super helpful and friendly. The building could use an updating on the interior, and I find the plastic plants very depressing -- However, my apartment is comfortable and spacious enough for one, and the costs are affordable so I will probably stay put.

Rachelle Mitchell

We at Sommerset would like to thank you for the rating that you have posted and for the important feedback! Your words are important to us, so thank you again for taking the time to give a review.

the food is very good

At Sommerset Retirement Community the food is very good. The cleaning service is really good and it's included in the price. The value is quite good here. I am overall very pleased with this facility. It has been a good experience.

Rachelle Mitchell

We at Sommerset would like to thank you for the review that you have posted and for the important feedback! Your words are important to us so thank you again for taking the time to give us some stars!! :) God Bless and have a spectacular day!

Friendly, helpful staff

We're very pleased with how things have gone with Sommerset Retirement Community! The staff has been very very friendly and helpful, and very accommodating to any requests or questions that we've had. They do a great job keeping everything looking clean and nice, and the food is very good!

Rachelle Mitchell

We at Sommerset would like to thank you for the review that you have posted and for the important feedback! We are so pleased that you are happy with Sommerset and enjoy our meal's!!!!! Your words are important to us so thank you again for taking the time to give us 5 stars!! :) Blessings to you and your family and we wish you a spectacular day!

Very nice looking place!

I toured this community while looking into care options for a loved one. The facility was bright, well kept, and clean, and all of the staff I met seemed friendly and professional. We ended up selecting another community due simply to distance from our family, but this is somewhere I would have considered as an option for my loved one!

Rachelle Mitchell

Thank you so much for your review and your kind words! We love that you loved Sommerset as much as we do!

Nice looking place, not a good fit for Mom

I toured this community when I was looking into senior living options for my loved one. This was a nice looking place, it was very well kept and clean, and the staff all seemed friendly. However, this place was entirely independent living, and they did not have availability for an in-home care service. It just would not have been appropriate for my loved one care-wise.

Hello,
Thank you so much for the 4 star review! We greatly appreciate your time and your interest in Sommerset!
Sommerset is an Independent living community however you can hire as much care for mom and/or dad as needed! We have a full caregiving list for all of our prospect and residents!
Please call today if you would like to speak with a leasing consultant for further explanation! [removed]
Again thank you for the positive review!

An Okay Community

Their care services are somewhat limited. The staff is very friendly and helpful – they really go of their way to make the person living feel good. Mom says the food is good.

The scheduled feeding time is a little bizarre. Some days they don’t give them a meal, but the units all have their own kitchens, so if the person can still cook for themselves – I guess they can.

Hello,
Thank you so much for your 5 star review! Sommerset appreciates your interest and review!
We offer, on the premium plan, 7 days a week dinner meals. Lunch is a la carte, 6 days a week and we have continental breakfast 3 days a week!
If you would like to speak with a leasing consultant for further explanation please give us a call today!
Thank you so much!

Excellent!

My family member has only been there for a little over a month, but our experience with Sommerset has been great so far. Very clean, great value, and the staff is very friendly. They are very open and helpful. The food has been excellent as well. I am also very impressed by the balconies that the community has. Great place!

Rachelle Mitchell

Thank you so much for your 5 star review! Sommerset appreciates the feedback and we are happy you chose us! If you need anything at all please let us know how we can help!

A good value

The facility is great, the staff is friendly, and there are plenty of activities. It's clean and spacious. A good value for what you get. The food could be better.
My only complaint is that there is no accommodation if a resident isn't able to make meal time. They have to let the staff know, and the food is put in containers for them to eat later. It's not very appetizing. Also if a relative wants to have a guest for a meal, they need 48 hours notice. Not really convenient if a friend just drops by. I think that system needs some improvement.

Rachelle Mitchell

Hello and thank you for the review! Sommerset only need's to know before 3 PM that day, if you or any family member would like to eat in the Dining Room! We apologize for any confusion and or trouble this might have caused you and we hope that you will continue to Dine with Sommerset! We always aim to please so if for any reason you have any questions please let us know and we would be happy to help! Thank you again for the time you took to do a review for us! Have a wonderful Day!

Facility has a homey, commu...

Facility has a homey, community feel. Lots of onsite amenities; apartments are on the small side, 'efficiency' style with galley kitchen, reduced size stove, and no laundry. Laundry rooms are available on each floor. Breakfast and dinner included; lunch is offered a la carte. Each apartment has a private outdoor balcony, which is a nice touch, as the landscaping is mature and the views are nice. Community (scouts, students, etc) are very involved with residents.

Rachelle Mitchell

We at Sommerset would like to thank you for the review that you have posted and for the important feedback! Your words are important to us so thank you again for taking the time to give us 4 stars!! :) God Bless and have a spectacular day!

An older facility but very ...

An older facility but very well kept. The environment was very comfortable and unpretentious. Residents were in the social areas playing cards and just enjoying gab sessions. There seemed to be something to engage every type of personality from those wanting to have a place outside their apartment to curl up and read a book to places where people could gather for games and conversation. Rachelle, our tour guide, seemed genuinely to feel passionate about her job and taking care of seniors in general. She asked questions to understand our needs and those of our parents and didn't just try to sell us on her property, which helped build trust with us. We have a long way to go to making a final selection but have Sommerset high on our list.

Rachelle Mitchell

We at Sommerset would like to thank you for the review that you have posted and for the important feedback! Your words are so important to us, so thank you again for taking the time to give us some stars!! :) God Bless and have a spectacular day!

P.S. I am so glad you felt my love for our seniors, they are everything to us! We love our residents and we are glad it shows!!

Sommerset, a nice place

Mom moved into Sommerset on 10/4/13, so about 2 weeks ago. The people who work there have been very helpful, professional and friendly. The food has been quite good. The other residents, very nice. The apartment was in great shape when we moved in. Good closet space. I think mom will be very happy there. The one negative that we have found is the kitchen cabinets are quite high and make the cabinets really unusable for mom. Granted, she is short, but I would think a place catering to older residents would make things like kitchen cabinets more usable. She has improvised and has much of her kitchen items in her pantry/closet and uses the kitchen cabinets for storage of items she does not use often.

Rachelle Mitchell

We at Sommerset would like to thank you for the review that you have posted and for the very important feedback! Your words are important to us so thank you again for taking the time to give us 5 stars!! :) God Bless and have a spectacular day!

It's very clean, the staff is very go...

It's very clean, the staff is very good, of course, it's not an assisted living, it's independent living but within that restriction the care is a five. I've had a lot of requests for hanging pictures and things and the response has been excellent. The only thing I think they could improve on is that there's a limited number of van accessible parking spaces available in the parking lot and they're not labeled as such so peopel with small cars and no mobility problems park there which makes it difficult for us to get out of our cars in those tight spaces. The other thing is that they're a little heavy on the starches at dinner but I think you're going to find that at any institutional facility because starches are cheap but I kind of object to macaroni salad and corn being served as the vegetables. Sometimes I can get the servers to get me a salad if they have some left over.
I have a two bedroom and that includes a continental breakfast 3 days a week, dinner everyday and on Sundays the dinner is served at noon, the rest of the time it's served in the evenings, housekeeping service, they will wash and return the linens, extra storage is the premium package, there's a storage room with good sized bins for storage, security and activites are all included in the price but I'm not sure what the price is without the premium package.

Rachelle Mitchell

We at Sommerset would like to thank you for the review that you have posted and for the important feedback, to help ensure a well balanced diet and ample parking spaces for all!

Absolutely wonderful, perfect place

They're awesome, they couldn't have been nicer. When families are looking into places like this, you're all over the place, my mother was in the hospital and they were just kind of holding her there until we could find something because she had finally agreed to finding a place and we were afraid if she went back home she wouldn't want to go. Sommerset was wonderful, the price was well within her range so she wouldn't have to sell her condo, she chose her colors, she went back and forth and changed them like 5 times and they were totally patient, everyone is just so sweet and mom is very, very happy. Whenever anything is done they email me, my daughter in law and my son on any work orders and keep us updated on the progress, they're very on top of it. She was afraid that this wasn't enough care for her but with this facility, I don't know how others work, but we wouldn't have to move her unless something catastrophic happened, like life support, but we can import the care. They were just more than wonderful, every last one of them bent over backwards, it's like living in an upscale New York hotel. She looks wonderful, she's going out every single day doing something, she was so depressed in her condo because she wasn't going out and interacting with people, now she's really glad she's here, it's hard to get her to admit it because she can be stubborn, but she loves it.

Rachelle Mitchell

We at Sommerset would like to thank you for the review that you have posted and for the important feedback! We are so pleased you love Sommerset as much as Mom does!!!!! Your words are important to us so thank you again for taking the time to give us 5 stars!! :) God Bless and have a spectacular day!

Very Active Place - Lots of Trips

It's been a really good fit for my mother. We'd like to see a little lower cost but she's happy there. My mother is independent. She's able to cook and clean and wash and do all that stuff herself so I'm not sure about the care services. If that includes the availability of the scheduled transportation to drugs stores and doctors, that's all good. For activities they have museum trips, shopping, they're going to a movie tomorrow, and they've been to a play. They have programs for music and concerts and trips to wineries. It's a good fit for her. She's very active and vital at the age of 88.

Rachelle Mitchell

We at Sommerset would like to thank you for the review that you have posted and for the important feedback! As for Care options, mom can receive as much home health as needed with any home health company. If you are ever in need of information please stop by our front desk, we have a ton of resources for you to review! We are so pleased that Mom does love Sommerset and all the activities we plan for our resident's!!!!! Your words are important to us so thank you again for taking the time to give us 5 stars!! :) Blessings to you and your family and we wish you a spectacular day!

Loved this one. Price is ri...

Loved this one. Price is right. Size is right. People are very nice. Everyone seems very happy.

Rachelle Mitchell

Thank you so much for your rating and your kind words, when home is where the heart is, it is hard to not be happy! Have a wonderful day from all at Sommerset!!

All units very independant with Kitch...

All units very independant with Kitchenette. Additional Utilities cost based on items plug into the outlets for lights or other appliances would be a concern for fix a budget.

Rachelle Mitchell

Thank you for your review of Sommerset! We appreciate you taking the time to give us important feedback! Have a wonderful day!

Two elementary schools and a library ...

Two elementary schools and a library close. SR center 4 mi away. Can be on dining plan. Nice dining room. Long term ee's. 112 rooms. Lots of meeting rooms. Free transportation to Dr's. Many activities available. Can move in for one month to see how he likes it. Can start a literacy program with Pam. Post office close.

Rachelle Mitchell

We at Sommerset would like to thank you for the review that you have posted and for the important feedback! Your words are important to us for example: We do have a lot of important stores/shopping near by including a DMV, Public Library, Banks, Grocery Stores and Post Office! We have102 apartments in our building and go up to the 3rd floor!
So thank you again for taking the time to give us 4 stars!! :)
God Bless and have a spectacular day!

Favorite so far. Large appartments, ...

Favorite so far. Large appartments, good food. Going back for a second visit with grandson and son in law and to eat dinner. I think this will be her new home.

Rachelle Mitchell

FAVORITE...well when you have fantastic, outgoing residents is hard not to smile and be happy, even "if" they call it work!!! :)

We are so glad you loved Sommerset, (as much as we do) for your loved one! We at Sommerset just want to thank you from the bottom of our hearts for the kind words and review!! Thank you and God bless!

Nice area staff were friendly, dont h...

Nice area staff were friendly, dont have the nursing facility rooms were nice, they have a nurse twice a week, orgnaised transportation, meals and dining room which was nice if necessary. No telephone inclusive weekly housekeeping which is good and a manned desk. Not sure what was missing but it just wasnt right.

Rachelle Mitchell

We are sorry Sommerset was not the perfect fit, but we appreciate your review and, thank you for your kind words! We wish you all the luck finding that right place for you or your loved ones! Have a wonderful day from all at Sommerset!

Sommerset is a rental retirement community for, independent senior adults. Our residents enjoy the independence they are accustomed to along with the security of knowing our community is staffed 24-hours a day. Choose from our spacious 1 and 2 bedroom apartments each with their own balcony or patio and fully-equipped kitchen. With 2 rental options to choose from, you are sure to find the luxury and comfort you have been looking for.

For over 20 years, Sommerset has been the residence of choice for seniors. We are just minutes from shopping, churches, doctor offices, banks and recreational facilities and with our very own chauffeured bus, transportation is easy and enjoyable.

Enjoy the freedom and privacy of your own peaceful apartment or participate in a wealth of planned social, recreational and cultural outings and activities. The choice is always yours.