Somerford Place Alzheimer's Assisted Living Columbia - Columbia, MD

Friendly and caring

Our mother had previously been in a bad situation, but she's doing well here, so my perception might be skewed. They people are friendly and they seem to care about their residents.

Things are not as they appear

[Removed] Dimmed lighting to dumb the residents down and make dirt harder to see. The staff have clever little things that they tell you that *seem* spontaneous but are actually carefully crafted phases and buzzwords, cute and phoney.
Like dog food, what you're buying is a product that's cleverly packaged and slickly advertised. Do you really love the person you're considering leaving at Somerford? If yes, then find a smaller establishment where a person will have some dignity.

Five Star Reviews

I am sorry about your negative experience and would be glad to discuss it with you directly.  I assure you that we make every effort to meet the needs of our residents and provide the highest quality care. The satisfaction, happiness and comfort of our residents and families is our first priority at Somerford Place of Columbia. Launi Vawter, Executive Director.

Residents of all functionality mixed together.

I would give their food a four. My concern was that when I toured it seemed like they made it sound that they would place my loved one with other men and with those that were experiencing a comparable level of Alzheimer's. However they are set up more in a general population sort of arrangement. This means that the more severe residents are mixed in with the more functional ones, and I don't think my loved one was ready for that quite yet. It would be nice if they were more up front with that. I did like the flexibility, and the opportunities for the family to participate.

It was excellent, I highly recommend it!

It was excellent, I highly recommend it! We used the respite services for two weeks. The staff is really excellent, everyone who works there is great. I would use them again, I am very pleased, I would use them for a permanent placement too. They are a little on the expensive side. It is strictly Alzheimer's and dementia. They have 64 beds in four neighborhoods with a central area, where they can do activities and where they offer services. They have a very nice outdoor area, with a lot of freedom for the individual. Everything is done like it would be at home for serving food. They were able to take care of her extremely well.

Once we visited them they were the hands down winner for where to go.

It has been pretty good. The staff has been really responsive. There haven't been any complaints about the food or the laundry so far. Sara was amazingly supportive. The location was good for our family. Once we visited them they were the hands down winner for where to go.

We were very impressed with the program.

She settled in extremely well, we were very impressed with the program. We were quite happy to see the levels of activity that the staff had the folks doing there. If her resources had been more extensive we would have left her there. They handle advanced dementia and Alzheimers patients, so the level of care is a little higher which makes the price go up a little. She seemed quite happy with the food. She didn't really want to leave.

Ease of getting around

We were looking for a community that was more specific to Alzheimer care. The approach they have here at Somerford seemed to be the best approach for our situation. We like that it is a smaller community because we thought a larger community would be confusing and intimidating to someone with Alzheimer. Due to its size it allows for ease of getting around so it is very easy to navigate. Somerford has been great and we would recommend them to anyone.

nice facility.

nice facility.

Somerford Place is the result of extensive research into the needs of people with Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia. Our specially designed building nestled in Columbia is secure, supportive and feels like home. Our staff strives to offer quality services to our residents, promoting dignity and independence to lead a full and rewarding life. At Somerford Place, both you and your loved one will find peace of mind.