Senior Commons at Powder Mill - York, PA

We toured the personal care area. The halls are very long with limited places to sit and relax. They break the community down in 4 "neighborhoods". The room we saw was adequate in size but the bathroom was very small and would not accommodate my mother's walker. The shower was an enclosed shower, again very small. The person conducting our tour was only at the facility for 3 months, spoke very quickly and did not include my mother in the conversation. She didn't show us much of the facility. They didn't have any current availability so I am sure this is a very nice place we just didn't get to experience this on this visit.

Review of Senior Commons

Have a wide range of activities to keep community members active. Sincere desire to keep members active & healthy. My mother has nursing care and they are very vigilent about her needs. Pleasant atmosphere. Would be a 5 star but food could improve a little. Thank you!

All of the staff have been very friendly and helpful. The food my parents get is excellent. I have personally ate lunch with them & have enjoyed my meals.

They invited my father to lunch. They went out of their way to find a resident with similar life experiences to eat and talk with him.
They genuinely seemed to care about him.
Older building but smaller, more intimate dining rooms on each wing. Whole facility all on one floor.

Lovely resident rooms. Family rooms for resident's visitors are beautiful and spacious. Excellent activities and various events for family and residents to participate in . Staff is courteous and friendly. Three meals daily, served in dining rooms close to residents rooms.

Very Positive Tour and Impressions

We toured this community for my mother. We would have moved into this community. The staff were professional and friendly. The building was clean and bright. There is a very nice outside area. Activities appeared to be varied and designed for each resident's needs. We especially liked that they offer physical therapy in-house. We would recommend anyone looking to take a tour at this facility as the quality and value seemed exceptional.

My parents live at Senior Commons since [Removed]. The dietary staff are vigilant to assure mom and dad eat well every day. The food is very good. Caregivers and nurses are kind, very attentive. They have embraced my parents as part of a big family. They assure all their needs all met quickly and keep me (daughter / POA) informed as needed via text and email. At my request, I would encourage anyone looking for senior care consider - Senior Commons of Powder Mill.

Clean and well maintained!!

During my search for a good community for mom, I toured Senior Commons at Powder Mill. I had a good tour, the person that took me around was friendly and helpful. The place was clean and maintained well. It was a good experience to tour, but not the best fit for my mother.

We loved it!

Everything has been going alright so far. My uncle likes the food. They do offer activities just has not gotten into any yet. The community is clean and we have not had any problems with that. We like the community.

Amazing Community

My mother has done so well since her move to this community, that she will be returning home soon. She has improved very much. We really love this community, it is a nice, safe place. There is so much for the residents to do. They do a great job with keeping everything neat, and tidy.The staff is amazing. I would highly recommend this community, it is a great place.

Gretchen Vakiener

Thank you so much for your comments and feedback. Your recommendation is the highest compliment we could receive! Of course, we hope that you and your mom will come back to visit every once in a while. And, as you know, we have both Independent and Personal Care apartments so if she misses the activities and the people, we’d love to have her back permanently!

Nice place!!

My tour of the Senior Commons at Powder Mill went very well. The place was clean and the staff was all very friendly. It was a beautiful facility. The only thing I did not like was the area for Dementia patients. But other than that it was a nice place, it was a hard choice.

Very Good Relationship With This Community

My mother is having a good experience here at this community. It is a very nice place, and I'am pleased with her move to this community. The community is well-kept, they do a good job keeping everything nice and clean. I have a good relationship with the staff. They are caring for her well. There are plenty of nice activities available for the residents. They do serve nice healthy meals. I know she safe and in good hands here. This is a community I would recommend.

Home away from home

My mother was only there a little over a week before she went in the hospital. From the first time we visited, we were welcomed like family. The admissions staff was very helpful and friendly and the nursing staff was wonderful. If my mom did not need more care than Sr.Commons could give her, she would still be there. I would recommend Sr. Commons to anyone looking for a place for their loved one

Toured

We toured this community while looking into care options for a loved one. The facility was well kept and clean, and all of the staff I met seemed friendly and professional. We ended up selecting another community, but this is somewhere I would have considered as an option for my loved one.

disappointed

Well my mother is working on her 3rd hospital admission. They messed up her medications again. However, in reality they have medication technicians administering medications instead of nurses. In researching other communities locally others facilities have nurse supervisors on each shift. Once our mother is stable we'll be seeking other arrangements. Activities seem to occur during the day only not so much in the evening. Barely dementia specific. My suggestion for anyone seeking this community in particular would be if your loved one is self efficient move them in by all means if they have care needs and medication management this isn't the facility for you.

Gretchen Vakiener

On behalf of the many caring professionals at Senior Commons at Powder Mill, we regret the sentiments you’ve described in your review of our community. We are confident in the care and service we provide our residents, but appreciate the feedback as we always welcome the opportunity for improvement.

Very nice place. We are moving my mother-in-law in on 11\7. I think it will be great for her.

Very Active Community

They are very active. I only live about one mile away from there so we can go visit a couple times a week. They are having outdoor concerts that we attend as a community. My mother is just constantly doing stuff. She is active and not just sitting around. Everybody is very friendly and sweet.

I like it very much. My mother is comfortable here..

I like it very much. My mother is comfortable here. They seem to be on top of her health. The reason why I rated the senior commons four stars overall is because of the communication. I was disappointed when my mom was suppose to participate in an outing and they forgot about her. It would be nice for them to be more proactive with me. Other than that, It has been great. It's a really nice community.

A nice place

Its a nice place. I think some of the assisted places prices are high. They put your loved one in different levels and you pay different prices. It's nice but I wish it wasn't that expensive. The facility itself is very clean and well kept. They have a variety of activities. The staff and residents seem friendly. I would recommend the Senior Commons at Powder Mill to anyone looking for assisted living.

Clean and inviting. This winter the fireplace is always a warm welcome when you arrive. The activities and services are good match for my M-I-L. Food seems good (as if you can ever satisfy everyone on this count!). Only complaint so far is the limited parking. Have had two occasions where I was unable to visit because there was actually no place at or near the facility to park.

Happy

My Mother is 91 and happy with her new apartment. She loves having a hair stylist in the next building and all the activities and new friends.

NOT WHAT WE EXPECTED

Would not recommend for dementia patients, the staff on the dementia floor do not seem to be trained and there are no real nurses, just aides who handle the whole floor.

Gretchen Vakiener

Tootie, Our nurses and caregivers do receive specialized training on Alzheimer’s and dementia care. However, no two residents are alike and the manifestations of the disease are different for every person. I encourage you to speak to our Resident Care Manager, the nurse who oversees the Care Assistants who do provide much of the hand’s on care, if you have specific concerns.

Everything is going well, she likes it.

Everything is going well, she likes it. Everyone is really friendly. There really isn't anything to complain about. The meals are good, and there are plenty of activities. She is independent and doesn't really need a lot of help, but I feel better know that she is safe, and that if she needs anything someone is there. They are a very caring facility.

Nice place overall, a few things they can improve on

Overall our experience with Senior Commons at Powder Mill has been a good one! Everybody has been extremely friendly, and always very helpful. One aspect of that I would like to see them improve is the coordination and communication in relation to medications. It is a very time consuming process to get even over the counter medications approved, and requires multiple rounds of back and forth between the community and your doctors.

Gretchen Vakiener

Thanks so much for taking the time to review Senior Commons at Powder Mill. It is great to get such positive feedback because we truly do work hard to create a friendly and caring environment. And, I understand your frustration regarding the medication. Unfortunately, state regulations require us to have a written doctor’s order for everything ~ even over-the-counter medications like Tylenol. The process is sometimes time-consuming and despite our best efforts, can take longer than anyone would like. Hopefully, all the medications have been ordered and the issue no longer exists. However, if it continues, please feel free to speak to the nurse or Executive Director so that we can further investigate.

Very nice place!

We're very pleased with how things are going at Senior Commons at Powder Mill! Right from the start they were helpful and caring! The marketing director is very very good, and the tour was informative and helpful. She had the answers to every question I had, and let me know things I wouldn't have thought to ask. They were super accommodating in terms of helping her get settled in after she moved as well! The staff are very observant about the needs and moods of the residents, and the LPNs and the visiting doctor make sure all of the care is top notch.
They even do a great job with the food! They've got good portions, a lot of selection, and my loved one really seems to enjoy it!

Need another level of care

They will keep you there even when you need to hire a private nurse for you parent.

Gretchen Vakiener

Thank you for taking the time to visit Senior Commons at Powder Mill. We are very happy to hear that you found our community clean and friendly. However, we are disappointed by the 2.5 ratings and invite you to contact our community so that we can understand how we are not meeting your expectations. Please know that we work very hard to meet and exceed the standards of care for residents and their families. Your thoughts and feedback will add to our continuous quality improvement process.

Good size, homelike atmosphere.

I think the facility size is good, in that the residents have enough of a homelike atmosphere without it feeling too large and overwhelming. Some of the communication early on could have been handled better, in terms of who was going to be handling ongoing medical affairs or who would be ordering medications. They have good activities, though some of the activities are not good for those with vision limitations, and a lot of elderly people have vision issues. The food looks good, and seems well balanced. Unlike some of the other communities that we looked at, they are open to bringing in snacks the resident might like to have.

Gretchen Vakiener

Thank you for taking the time to review Senior Commons at Powder Mill. It is definitely our goal to provide exceptional service, so your comments about communication, especially during a residents first few days, is valuable to us. Our Activity Calendar is designed around our residents’ interests ~ and certainly if we can make modifications to an activity to accommodate residents with vision loss, we will do that. I encourage you to speak to our Activity Director if there is something that your loved one particularly enjoys so we can get it scheduled!

the place was very nice. Th...

the place was very nice. The marketing mgr.(Susie Goebeler) was very helpful and informative. I would love to put Mother there but we can't financially handle it.

Very clean, homelike place....

Very clean, homelike place. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Atmosphere of eating areas and lobby were lovely. Pricey, on the range of things, but overall very nice.

place smelled like medicine...

place smelled like medicine, was going to separate the parents - would not recommend.

Gretchen Vakiener

We are truly sorry that you didn’t have a great first impression at Senior Commons at Powder Mill. Your comments are especially surprising because our reputation in the community is one of having a warm and friendly atmosphere. Residents often comment that we don’t smell like a ‘facility,’ but instead remind them of home.

Currently, we have fourteen couples who live together at Senior Commons. We make every effort possible in keeping families members together; however, we have recommended separating couples if one of the two would benefit from a specialized area of the community such as a memory care neighborhood.

Absolutely phenomenal!

So far this place has been absolutely phenomenal! I'd give them top marks in every category, they've been great. The staff are all friendly and professional, and they give the residents a lot of individual care and attention. During the tour they really take really take the time to make sure all your questions and concerns are answered, and welcome you back to tour any number of times.
I really like the layout and set-up of the community for memory care patients specifically. It is very easy to navigate, with no elevator trips involved. I also like that they have many small dining areas that end up being like family units, as opposed to the large single dining rooms that most communities use.

They were all very nice...

They had a memory care lockdown unit so if she ever got to the point where she becomes an exit seeker I wouldn't have to move her out. They were all very nice, It was on one floor a little larger than what we chose, with a couple of different hallways.

Senior Commons of Powder Mill

Everyone has been extremely friendly and helpful. They worked with us to get my parents into the personal care unit even though they did not have a suite available.

Stopped here unannounced. Director w...

Stopped here unannounced. Director was very willing to talk with me and give me a tour. Was able to see 3 different areas. All the residents were having a good time! This one seems to have all the amenities that would make us feel at home. Residents were allowed to have cats in their rooms! Currently does not have any openings in the Memory Care unit.

No nurse on duty. They charge by the...

No nurse on duty. They charge by the month and people are free to leave. They do not provide medical care except for getting patients to take medicine. Usually patients leave this kind of care when they are ready for nursing home care.

Selected this facility for Mom. Facil...

Selected this facility for Mom. Facility well kept, nicely decorated, bright. Selected private room with private bath. Great list of activities. Residents seem happy to be there.

Since 1986 Autumn House at Powder Mill has been recognized as York, Pennsylvania’s premier provider of luxury assisted-living residences, independent-living apartments and secure dementia care. Autumn House at Powder Mill is now known as Senior Commons at Powder Mill. Managed by Heritage Senior Living, Senior Commons at Powder Mill is committed to providing the highest level of service to its residents in a comfortably elegant environment.

Our retirement community offers 98 rooms for personal care, 24 one- and two-bedroom independent-living apartments, 11 fully furnished private rooms in Arlington Court (secure early memory care), and 15 fully furnished, private and semi-private rooms in Rosewood Court (secure mid to moderate stage memory care).

Spacious rooms, daily activities and special events, courtesy transportation to local doctor appointments, cleaning and laundry services, and trained, round-the-clock staffing highlight our personal care residence. Our apartments feature spacious floor plans that easily accommodate your furnishings and include plenty of closet and storage space. Each apartment boasts a full kitchen and even has its own laundry room with a washer and dryer. Unparalleled specialized care — with safety-monitoring systems in each room, secure social areas and a high staff-to-resident ratio — are offered in our two secure memory-care units known as Arlington Court and Rosewood Court.