Brookdale Santa Catalina - Tucson, AZ

Not great for mobility challenged in independent living.

No great for mobility challenged in independent living.

Well situated property in a great area. Obviously well maintained with evidence of ongoing upkeep. Many opportunities for social interaction. More than met our expectations.

Their chef is fabulous

Their chef is fabulous, their kitchen and food is the most outstanding feature of the entire facility. My daughter came to visit and wanted to see where we eat so they invited us for lunch. The atmosphere of the dining area is very homey with a beautiful view of the mountains. The walls are all glass and you can look out and enjoy the amazing view while you are dining. The waitresses are wonderful. I have low vision so she assisted me with ordering, making sure that I didn’t miss anything. They are very professional. The menu options are six different entrees every day for lunch and dinner. If you are not hungry you can just order a soup or salad. They also have continental breakfast in the mornings and all the food served has the most adequate portioned size. They have many activities too, but I’m not sure how many. I am not active as I use to be however the staff encourages you to be up and about. They have a swimming pool onsite that I would like to try. The area is wonderful, the layout is great, and it’s a gated community from outside traffic. You would need to know someone to get in. There is someone manning the gate all the time which is a great safety feature than adds to the security. I love this place that I already started recommending it to others.

Way out of our price range, seems more a la carte, definitely not all inclusive...

Look twice. Ask a lot of questions.

My mother has been living at La Rosa (Assisted care and Alzheimer's care) for 2+ years. It was good when we moved in HOWEVER, Management has become a major issue. There has been turn over in key management positions including the Executive Director, the Head of Nursing and two event coordinators, all in the past 14 months. These management positions are extremely important to run a caring, well structured and good facility for the residents. The end result in this lack of management is employee turnover, no continuity of nursing care, and an overall depression of the staff.

I would not recommend this facility. Thank you for taking time to read my review and please take into account before making a choice for yourself or a loved one.

The Tour Seemed to Not Go Well

We didn't like this community as much from the tour. When we got there things weren't going as smoothly as we liked. However another person I know has their parent there and they both love the community but we just did not get the same experience

Helpful Staff!!

I have no complaints about the tour I had taken of this community for myself. The staff where polite and made sure to answer any questions I had for them in detail. It was a little bigger of a facility then I had liked. I was looking for something more personal and smaller for my living environment.

My Dad Loves it There

My dad loves the community we moved him into. He really likes the meals and options to choose from. The activities are enjoyable for him. The staff communicate pretty good and they are good at providing the care my dad needs. I would recommend them to others.

Mom is quite happy in her recent move to Santa Catalina. Thanks to their help the move went smoothly and she has met several new neighbors. She is enjoying the activities too!

Nice tour

I toured Brookdale the other day and the people were very nice. I had a positive experience and it's a pleasant place.

Felt great to be there!

My visit went great! The facility gave me great information and the move in process was seamless. I found that I really liked Brookdale. The facility is older, but it is very well maintained. I have had the opportunity to meet many residents and watched them enjoy a variety of activities, from theater performances to playing the Wii. The residents seemed to really like the facility. The size and layout of the facility was nice, and it had a great feel to it.

Beautiful scenery!

I think Brookdale Santa Catalina is the most beautiful place! There is an area to hike and a wonderful desert landscape behind the community. The lounge is a place you could picture yourself with a book or playing a game with a friend.I like the residents here I have a lot of similar interests with them. The staff is pleasant and helpful. One thing I have noticed is the staff appears a little overworked. They need to be more careful because sometimes their response time is longer than ideal. I chose Brookdale because of the size and the wonderful view. I am happy so far and I look forward to getting more involved in activities!

In a beautiful location.

The staff at this community are encouraging and helpful. The food is very good and the community is kept clean. They offer a weekly cleaning service for mom's apartment. They have a ton of activities for the residents to participate in. The doors have a keypad entry and I feel secure with mom living here. I would recommend this community.

I toured Brookdale Santa Catalina but have not moved in yet. The community
was very clean, the staff was friendly and the food was excellent. So far
with my experience I would recommend them to a loved one or friend.

Great first impression!

I toured Brookdale Santa Catalina but have not moved in yet. The community was very clean, the staff was friendly and the food was excellent. So far with my experience I would recommend them to a loved one or friend.

They Gave A Nice Tour

After much thinking about our plans, my parents felt this community was not close enough to their home. On the tour it was a good view and insight of the community and they were well educated about the place and friendly.

Confident With The Care The Provide In Memory Care

I have confidence that my husband is safe and getting care that he needs. The staff have given me good reports and if anything does happen they call me right away. I picked them based on how close they are to my daughter and I. I also liked that there are 15 other residents in the Memory Care so they can be attentive to them all. It also has secure locked doors. When i met the caregivers I noticed they are very good. He benefits from not feeling isolated and has other people to talk to. The provide outings, activities , and exercises.

We liked Brookdale. The buildings are attractive and the natural environment is beautiful. I specifically liked the lay-out of their biggest unit, the Willow, which is almost 1400 sq. ft in size. We didn't like the fact that all units are in separate buildings, and one always have to walk outside to the restaurant and all activities in the main building. This may not be nice during the hot summer. Also, Brookdale provides 20 main meals per month, so some cooking will still be necessary. They have a nice garden area with a small pool, and they also have a memory care building.

Too Big To Get Around In

From the tour I saw a community that looked like a college campus. The building were separated and there would be a lot of walking around for us. It seems that it would be for one that is more independent.
They had a unique meal system. For the month one would get a meal ticket with 20 meals and use it when one needs. This was not geared for us, looking for full care, meals, and cleaning.

My tour!!

This is a nice clean community. The people we met were nice and I heard the food was good. This community was just a little to expensive for us.

Activities are an empty promise

Lovely room in assisted living wasn't enough to overcome lack of promised activities. We showed up for at least 8 events in two weeks that simply did not happen. No staff, no instructor, no residents. Reasons were the event was canceled at last minute, or that the calendar made a mistake, or leader was mysteriously absent, or that it must have been moved to another time and place. Residents reported this was the norm and many had given up even trying.
We're looking at moving to another location where activities listed on the calendar are a reality rather than an empty promise.

I would recommend Brookdale!!

This is a larger community. The area around it is scenic and peaceful. It is an older community and they may be making some updates. The staff are very compassionate and caring. My dad adores the food. They offer daily activities.

Great Staff!!

The interaction between the staff and the residents was wonderful. All of the residents looked very pleased with the care they were receiving. During our tour i noticed that everyone knew each other. It was a wonderful atmosphere in the community. The person that gave me the tour was very nice and communicated well.

No longer can recommend

My parents recently moved out of this facility because they (and I ) couldn't tolerate the deterioration of all aspects of the facility. The food is frequently inedible, the staff is unhappy and it shows in the service, safety issues are frequently not attended too, and the cost is more than what some superior facilities charge. This is an independent living facility but many of the new people moving in should really be in assisted living.

They Try Their Best

We really like this community and everything is working out pretty well. My mother has adjusted well to it and we are very pleased. They keep the community very clean and everything looks very nice. Her room looks nice and clean as well. My only concern has been with the staff not washing my mother hair as often as she needs it, but they are working on that. The staff is very nice and they are doing their best. They do offer nice activities and good food. Overall she is happy and I would recommend it.

Review of Brookdale Santa Catalina - Tucson, AZ

Beautiful property.10 miles from my home. very nice reception area. Residents looked full engaged.dining area with spectacular views. 1 bedroom with den 3400. 2bed 2bath 3700. Full kitchen. 20 meals a week with continental breakfast. Assisted and skilled nursing across the street. Activites all day long. Emergency call buttons in each room of apt.

An insiders review

We have lived here in independent living for 10 years. About 8 years ago Brookdale Senior Living took over management and our excellent director retired. It has been downhill since. The food ranges from good (not excellent) to inedible. The director does not understand his job is to be the intermediary between Brookdale and the residents. He is a mouthpiece for Brookdale and is not very responsive to residents.

Our apartment has not been repainted since we moved in. The only way to get your apartment repainted is to move to another apartment.

Rent increases have become excessive. This year, 2016, the increase is 5 1/2%

Residents are leaving. The independent living occupancy rate is 73% while other facilities are 90+ percent occupied. We are moving to one of them. Our director will not acknowledge the other facilities occupancy rate.

great location

Great place. Overall we are happy we chose this location. We also like the location of the facility it is convenient for me and my family.

Santa Catalina Villas:The staff is ...

Santa Catalina Villas:
The staff is very professional, nice, and friendly. My loved one likes it there, and loves the food. The facility is very clean. We love Tia, the nurse. They have the best care. Overall I'm satisfied with their services. I would absolutely recommend this facility to others.

Santa Catalina Reviews and why I chose it.

I chose Santa Catalina Villas for my mom due to the level of care that they provide and the additional services that can be provided when she needs it. Like an escort to her doctors appointments or to the store, if she is feeling unsteady that day. Mom has been there for over a week now and is still getting settled in, learning the staff, the programs, etc. Since my mom has Parkinson's Disease, it was important to me that there was a nurse on site at all times and that level of care could increase as her body declines.

Expesive but Very Nice

They have a good staff but it's very expensive. The cost depends on the size of your apartment and my aunt has a large apartment so it's more expensive. The care is okay. You have to ask for things and my aunt's not always asking. If they're asked they're right on it! They're very friendly. It's not an assisted living. it's just senior living so they just let you be unless you ask for some thing. It's very good, the service is good there.

There are a lot of activities. Again, a lot of it is on the residents to actually sign up and go to things. They do a lot. My aunt likes the people. She has a beautiful apartment. Santa Catalina Villas is a really nice place. They are very friendly and helpful as much as they can be. She's safe and she can go and get meals as she needs them. Everyday somebody will check on her.

A little confusing. Sales used rooms ...

A little confusing. Sales used rooms that should have been reserved for the residents.

Closest to Saddlebrook.

Closest to Saddlebrook.

Santa Catalina Villas provides a full range of choices for today’s seniors. Choosing a senior living community represents a lifestyle choice and we understand that our residents are choosing much more than a comfortable living environment to call home. Our Brookdale community delivers Inspired Independent Living, with the promise of Exceptional Experiences Everyday. In choosing this community, our residents have made a conscious lifestyle decision designed to deliver enhanced opportunities for pursuing health and life fulfillment through the exceptional services, amenities and opportunities we offer.

At Santa Catalina Villas, Optimum Life® and Celebrations provide an all-encompassing way of life that touches our residents, their families and associates alike. Optimum Life® is a journey of self discovery including services, features and benefits that allow each resident to pursue their peak level of health, wholeness and fulfillment while balancing six key dimensions of personal wellness: emotional, intellectual, physical, social, spiritual and purposeful. As part of Optimum Life® we encourage our residents to celebrate life each day. Inspired dining and vibrant lifestyle activities come together in our Celebrations program, filling the monthly calendar with themed experiences, special events and group activities that highlight different cultures and cuisines in a common venue of camaraderie.