Glen St. Andrew Living Community - Niles, IL

Very nice community setting with a beautiful Catholic chapel. Impressed by how happy the residents seemed, how welcoming [Removed] was, and how the residents all knew [Removed] and how she was able to greet them all by name. This definitely remains on our list of possibilities.

Mom is very happy here

I found this place for my Mom and so far we’ve been very satisfied. We really have no complaints. The staff is very helpful and will give us updates often about how my Mom is doing. They’ll even let us know where she is in the building if we come to visit so we don’t have to track her down. Mom has no complaints about the food and has said that it’s very good, fresh, and that she always eats well. They have a few activities (like movies and bingo) and parties every so often. People from an agency will come in to do the ladies’ makeup or hair and nails. They post all of the activities on a board for everyone to see and it’s up to the individual residents to decide if they want to attend or not. I would definitely recommend them.

I toured this community

The community was very quiet. The decor was dark and unappealing, and not a fit for my loved one.

Respite/rehab stay

My mom was here for a respite/rehab and they were very good with her. The staff worked really hard to help her get better so that she could return to her own home with my dad. The physical therapist made sure she worked hard and they even set up in-home care and PT for her at discharge. They also arranged for a wheel chair for her to keep at home. We have now upgraded their home with rails and grip bars that will help mom now that she is home. I would definitely recommend this community for rehab and great care.

Michelle Tiffany

Thank you for allowing us to support your family during this important time of your lives. I'm glad she is back home and doing well. Thank you for sharing.

No Complaints, Tour Went Well

I toured this community for my mother, and her needs. My tour was a good one, and everyone was very kind, and friendly. My tour guide was nice, and informative. My questions were answered. The experience was a good one, and everything went well overall.

They Were Too Far For Us

On my tour I saw a clean community with good staff who appeared to know what they were doing for the residents. They were just too much money for me and not very convenient location.

My Mother is Doing Great Here

This is a nice community, and my mother is doing very well since her move here. They are taking good care of her, and her needs. They have a great staff at this facility. They have nice activities, and good meals available for the residents. It has been a good experience, and I would recommend this community.

Michelle Tiffany

Thank you for taking a moment to share. It is always helpful for families to know the current experiences of our residents.

Not what we wanted

We toured this community when looking for my mother. We didn't like the atmosphere of the community because it felt very institutional. It reminded us of a nursing home and that wasn't what we were looking for.

Smaller apartments!

This was a good tour, I got good information, but there were not many residents walking around in the hallways as there was in other places. The hallways were emptier and the apartments were smaller. They also did not have kitchens and that was a dealbreaker.

Work in Progress

I would say it is still a work in progress for my wife's aunt here at this community. Recently they put her on some new medications, and we do not feel its having a positive effect on me. So far they have been pretty decent with handling our concerns. The staff is kind, my wife gets along with them. We didn't have the best understanding about what assisted living was, but things are working working in the good direction. Overall it is a work in progress for us with this community.

Helpful Friendly Community

My aunt is doing pretty well since her move to this community. We are comfortable with her move here. We know she is safe and being cared for pretty well. The staff is very good, they have been very friendly and helpful. There are activities offered for her when she is ready to participate. The meals are okay for the most part. The location of the community is convenient for our families to travel too. If someone has the same needs as my aunt, I would recommend this community to them.

Very nice and clean. Hallways are wide. The rooms are small, like a dorm room. I don't think my Mom would be comfortable in such a small room.

Michelle Tiffany

Our rooms are on the smaller side; we do have larger rooms but they are on a waitlist. Thank you for the kind words about the rest of the building.

No Tour But Had A Quick Visit

We drove up to the community when it was raining and saw that they are next to a cemetery. It looked like a scene from a horror story. When we got inside, no one was available to give us a tour. We were not even on the schedule. it was not a good fit.

It Was A Traditional Throwback

I liked some qualities about the place. It is historically built in a different time. They have older charity elements. It was like a movie when touring. It has long hallways and it has large grounds. They believed to be a place with help and support within the community. because they way it looks, it could make someone uncomfortable. I had an appointment scheduled but the person to give me the tour was not there. The tour was fine from the alternative person.

Great Amenities !!

My loved one is very pleased with her bedroom it is very spacious and has a lot of great amenities included for her. She has enjoyed the variety of meals they offer throughout the day as well as the company of the other residents. The community is very well maintained and is kept very clean for all of there residents. Overall I am very pleased with this place and would recommend it.

Wonderful Staff!!

My grandmother is very pleased with the cleanliness of this community. She loves to go on walks around the building or sit by the window and watch the bird cage on the third floor. The staff is very friendly and attentive. The meals are acceptable but could use some improvement. They offer a variety of activities for their residents.

I was disappointed with this facility. It was more like a warehouse than a care home and the staff could not answer my questions.

My Tour Went Very Well, This is A Lovely Community

I had a good tour of this community. The community looked great, everything was very nice and clean. It appeared they do a good job with the cleanliness. The staff was kind and very helpful. They were informative and answered my questions. It was a nice experience, but not the place for us.

Above and Beyond!!

Everyone is so wonderful! The staff is lovely my father is so happy with the care he is receiving. The communication has been great if they need something or if my father wants to communicate with us they are fast on notifying us. The meals are good my father says there is enough food for him that he really enjoys. The community location also works out for the whole family.

My Mom Loves Glen St. Andrew

My mom moved in here almost two months ago, and the more time I spend there, the more I like it.

It is always super clean.
The staff and the residents are friendly to my mom - and she made friends there very quickly (even though it was hard for her to make friends previously).
The kitchen staff is wonderful, and helped her feel at home right away. She loves the food (I would give the food 4 stars out of 5).
She loves all the activities that are available, and she loves that she can get her hair done right in the building (and they did a good job on her cut and color ... and she was picky about that!).

One minor downside that I've seen in other reviews is that you sometimes have to wait a while for the elevators. This is true, but it doesn't seem to bother her much.

Consistently High Quality

Mom moved in 3 weeks ago, and the more time I spend here the more I like it. Staff and other residents are friendly and welcoming of my mom. I'd love it if there were more one bedroom rooms, though.

Michelle Tiffany

We wish we had more one bedrooms also! Please get on our waitlist if you are interested in a one bedroom as we will let you know when one opens up. Thank you for sharing about your experience!

Intimate, caring community

The Glen St. Andrew staff is professional and friendly. The environment is clean, orderly and attractive. The garden is welcoming and offers a scenic view. The elevators are a concern. There are only 2 and ooccasionlly only 1 is working. Renovation efforts are moving forward slowly.
Hopefully, updating the elevators will be addressed.

Going pretty good

So far, things are going pretty good here. We have not had any major problems or complaints with the facility or the staff. Overall, we are having a pleasant experience at Glen St. Andrew Living Community.

Michelle Tiffany

Thank you for sharing regarding your experiences so far. We hope everything continues to meet and exceed your expectations!

room for improvement

What they could definitely improve on at Glen St. Andrew's is the food. The food is not very good. Some of the staff members are not very nice as well, I would say that only about 20% of them are friendly.

All Levels of Care

The one really nice thing about the place is that my loved one can stay and age there. They have everything from independent living to nursing care, so if anything happens she does not have to be transferred to another facility.

Michelle Tiffany

We love being a facility that can meet residents need for Independent Living, Assisted Living, Memory Care, Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Care. Its especially nice when residents change levels of care and all their friends come to visit. Residents also enjoy that they can still participate in the activity groups they like even when the amount of support they need changes.

Great Place

Great place. We had a Family member that wanted to move from her condo to somewhere that someone would always be around. Also, to have meals provided because it was getting harder to cook. The tour guide, Michelle, was very helpful in all of us making a comfortable decision.

Michelle Tiffany

Thank you for your feedback; I know it means a lot to families to get to hear other's experiences.

Great place for mom. Really love that she can "Age in place". Having multiple levels of care is wonderful. Currently mom is in assisted living but as her needs may change St Andrew will be able to accommodate her. Not having to relocate her to another facility. Every staff member I have met is very friendly. The meals included are prepared by a chef. Mom has never complained of not liking what is served. Very lucky my to have found St Andrew. Highly recommend this facility to all.

Michelle Tiffany

We are so very pleased that you are pleased. Also I have lunch here frequently and share her enthusiasm for our chef's food!

pleased with services

I am pleased with the services offered.

Michelle Tiffany

Thank you for sharing about your experiences at Glen Saint Andrew Living Community!

Very Impressed With Staff

Very friendly people, very impressed with the staff. The support functions are timely and the workers are caring. The overall experience has been very positive, they try to make my mother feel comfortable and I think they are exceedingly patient.

Michelle Tiffany

Thank you for taking a minute to share with others about your experience here at Glen Saint Andrew Living Community. We’re glad it’s going well and that we could meet the needs of your loved one.

No complaints so far

Seems to be an excellent facility so far. The care is good, the staff is super nice, and the residents really seem genuinely happy here. It has not been that long, but my family and I have no complaints so far.

Michelle Tiffany

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are pleased to hear you are enjoying our community!

doing really well

I talked to my mom the other day and she is doing really well at Glen St. Andrew Living Community. She was on her way to an exercise class. Everything there just seems to be going really well. It has been a good experience for her.

Michelle Tiffany

Thank you for sharing; its great to hear she is jumping into our activities!

The Memory Care Unit is awesome with a few exceptions. The food is not as good as it can be and should be improved.

The water with fruit combinations can be awful, lemon water is heathly and refreshing, that is what I would recommend.

My biggest concern is the activities, there are not enough activity personnel and when folks are just sitting there doing nothing it leads to folks arguing with each other. With the cost per month I feel more folks should be hired. Please take into consideration that it takes a long time just to get everyone to an activity not in the unit taking time away from that activity. Between my brothers and I we visit six times a week, of late to see folks staring at the walls due to lack of activities. When dad moved in last November it was activities all the time, did you lose personnel?

The nurses and CNA's are wonderful as is Holly, wish we could clone her.

Overall great place especially the front desk, always a warm welcome

Michelle Tiffany

Thank you so much for your feedback. We will take a close look at our program and consider your observations. Please feel free to stop in and speak to management with any concerns or issues at any time.

On beautiful grounds with lots of amenities

We toured here when we were looking at options. St Andrews set on beautiful grounds, they have a lot of amenities, including a beautiful chapel, huge TV projector room, a library, a kitchenette for each floor, and others. We liked that they provide check up phone calls if residents don't come down for their meals. We liked the location and felt the residents were very friendly, and sociable. They seemed to have a ton of activities to keep the residents busy and active. The rooms were a little on the small side, but functional, and not the smallest we saw. There were no emergency cords there. They also had a non refundable deposit that was a little more than I had expected.

An excellent place and good value

My husband and I were immediately impressed with the cleanliness and the friendly staff. Not only were staff pleasant to us, but to all the residents we encountered on our tour. Staff knew names and asked about activities and visitors, demonstrating the involved, caring atmosphere we were looking for. The dining arrangements with meal choices were also important, as our family member enjoys her food. The Memory Care Unit was clean and bright, and the residents were involved with a fun memory activity. The nurse in charge was warm and interested in our family. We were fortunate to obtain a larger studio, and our loved one is very happy. She has made friends, attended Mass, and enjoys her food very much. Very happy with our choice!

Michelle Tiffany

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences!

It's okay.

It's okay. Most of the people are brand new. Overall its better than the last place I was in. The meals are pretty good but It's turned into a lot of sandwiches lately. The facility itself is very clean. They are always keeping it fresh. The staff seems to be very nice and helpful. The value is pretty good as well. I can't rate the care services or the activities. Those are not applicable. I'm in independent living.

Michelle Tiffany

I'm glad to hear that your move here has been an improvement from where you used to live! Thank you for the feedback about the sandwiches- I encourage you to attend our dining council meeting when ever you have input about our meals. Lastly, thank you for acknowledging how well we care for our building- I'm so happy to share your feedback with our housekeeping team!

Michelle Tiffany

My dear cousin has never been more satisfied with all the TLC he's receiving at St. Andres's.

Michelle Tiffany

We are so pleased to hear your loved one is enjoying their time here. Our team strives to provide the highest level of care and satisfaction daily.

Great for a religious person, didn't seem like a good fit for mom. Big place, staff was welcoming. Nice dining room.

Michelle Tiffany

Thank you for the great feedback. Sorry we weren't the right fit for your mom. We know families who are searching value what other people who have visited share so thank you for taking the time to post about us. Good luck with your search!

Nice but it was an older building.

This is one of the places I toured as we were looking. It was very nice, and clean. There was a bit of an odor when I first walked in. It was a little older and run down, a little less expensive, than some of the others. It really wasn't the best fit for us, but the people were friendly.

Can't say enough good things they are fantastic.

Visited mom on Easter Sunday sitting in the sun room with other women who were all made up with the make-up and hair done looks happy, healthy. The only issue is the food need improvement, they are working on the menu with the cooks. Can't say enough good things they are fantastic.

So far everything is fine.

So far everything is fine. The place is clean, the staff is friendly. We are pretty happy with them. I do get the occasional complaint about the food, but nothing specific. They could also pay a little more attention to the laundry, and care labels.

Freindly Staff

Family members are not allowed to have copy of keys and they do not have night front desk staff where my mother is in the facility, but do the other part. Care and cleanliness are very good just those issues need to be addressed..

Michelle Tiffany

Thank you so much for your feedback! We greatly appreciate you choosing our community. Resident safety is always our first priority. We do not create duplicate keys due to resident safety concerns. We find duplicate copies of keys are not returned to the facility and that in turn creates a safety risk for residents. The independent living apartments are designated for residents that do not have a nursing care need. We do provide 24 hour nursing staff on the Assisted Living and Nursing floors for residents that have a nursing care need. Our entire community is secure and doors are locked every evening. If you have any further concerns please feel free to visit the management team at any time.

Everyone knows my name!

It's a great place, big apartment. I know they're going through a transition, which might affect things like food, services, etc, but I like that there is a cozy atmosphere here and everyone I see seems to know my name!

We are very pleased.

We are very pleased. She has assimilated very well. We have had nothing but positive experience. She really likes it there. It's clean, and everyone is friendly. She doesn't complain about the food. It's working out well.

This is a very basic facility, clean and neat, but not what I was looking for. The rooms were very small, and convent-like. (It was a retirement building for priests, back in the day!) The bathroom seemed too small for a large man, and the shower wasn't safe since I wouldn't be able to fit a bath bench inside it. For a basic facility, this has what it needs but it wasn't what I was looking for for my father.

They are doing a good job.

They are doing a good job. The facility is very clean. Their walk in showers are a little small. The food isn't always as hot as she would like. Even with that, we are pretty happy with them. They were also one of the more affordable places I looked at.

Review of Saint Andrew Life Center Assisted Living in Niles, IL

This is the number one choice for my mother. I toured once with my sister and we brought mom back the next weekend to see for herself. We are hoping to make the transition in the month of May 2015 when her lease comes up. We are currently on a waiting list for a specific unit.

Overall a great success, the room is lovely

It seemed like everyone knew mom was moving in that Saturday. Everyone was friendly, helpful and caring. Her first meal there was Sunday lunch and kitchen staff were ready for her and placed her with a great group of ladies. She is learning her way around, and has gotten a little confused by the Activity schedule but that is from being new. You are taken on a tour when looking at the facility but they forget you looked at 6 facilities that same weekend so it is kind of a blur as to which facility had what where.
We did have some cleaning issues but we were prepared with cleaning supplies. St Andrews is a very clean facility but for moving in there should probably be a thorough top down scrubbing.

Review of Saint Andrew Life Center Assisted Living in Niles, IL

This place is definitely on our list of 'maybes'. In order to stay and transition to Medicaid, however, Lilo would need to spend $100,000 in rent here. Lilo does not have $100,000. So, this is not an option. Also, in order for medicaid to be accepted here, she would need to enter long term nursing care, which is hopefully not something she will ever need. If she does not need it, she would have to move. Does not seem to be our best option.

Not impressed by what we saw

We toured this community when we were looking into care options for a loved one. My loved one could tell right off the bat that this wasn't somewhere she'd be comfortable living. It just had a "nursing home" feel, and the facility itself was older and not as well kept up as others we had seen.

Nice place, overall

We've had a good experience with Saint Andrew Life Center! It's a clean, cheerful looking community, and the staff have all been very friendly and professional. The care they provide is good, and they seem to have plenty of activities and amenities to offer their residents. I've also heard from my loved one that the food is good, everything is always very fresh!

Happy with St. Andrews

My mom has been a resident for almost 6 months. I picked this community for her because it was the most vibrant of all that I visited. When I went on my tour there I actually saw residents out and about. The staff are friendly. Every time I stop to visit her they drop by to chat and tell me how she is doing. They have actually encouraged her to go to activities, which I didn't think anyone could do. Her one complaint about the food is that the serving size is generous and she just can't eat it all. I like the fact that they offer 3 meals a day.

They are doing pretty good.

They are doing pretty good. They keep it pretty clean. The staff is very helpful and very friendly. The food is sometimes not to my taste, but it's okay. They are pretty good about responding, if I have a concern they are pretty quick to respond. I don't really participate in the activities, but they have stuff going on.

Great Place for Mom or Dad

Everyone is so nice, and friendly, this is a Great price for the living facility and all it has to offer my mom. Great food all fresh, utilities included, activities. Just a Great clean place. Wish I was 62 1/2 I would move here myself.

Like it but am not sure it ...

Like it but am not sure it wlll meet my mon's needs.

Great service from A Place for Mom

My mother, Ginny Moore, is very happy at St. Andrews. She is paying much less than she paid at St. Benedicts.
I am in California so I just go on her word. She says it is beautiful there. Tina Schater has been wonderful! She is very knowledgeable and I truly believe she wanted the best for my mother. She was always available and came up with many suggestions and was not pushy at all. She was very friendly and very prompt. I wish everyone I do business with was as great for customer service. Since I am in California and my mother is in Illinois, I felt I could trust what she was saying. My mother is Catholic and really enjoys being able to go to Mass.

Not impressed

Our loved one lived in this community for a time and we were not happy with it at all. It wasn't clean, and it was expensive for the care that they provided. They wanted to move my loved one into nursing care, and I didn't believe that level of care was warranted at all at that point, so we moved her out.

Found: my new HOME.

Everyone from management to residents is friendly and most welcoming to me.
It is becoming "home" to me gradually. I am in a rehab now after surgery. And I am looking forward to returning "home" soon.
Happy New YEAR TO Everyone!

A lot of value, clean, nice people, so so food

After touring several without my uncle, the rooms here are smaller and less feature rich, but all he cared about was cost. Period. And thats why he is there now. Help is nice, food much more cafeteria than fine dining. Appreciably quieter than other places. Dated, but well kept. Slow elevators. He is as happy as could be expected when transitioning from independence to senior living. Some grumpy days, and he wants more services but isnt willing to pay for them. They offer a la carte services like laundry, bathing, etc., and all in its still cheaper than anywhere else in the area by many $100s.

Great place for folks to live.

It is clean without smelling of disenfectant. The staff is wonderful, so patient and kind. My mother loves the food. The rooms are good sized and in comparison the price is very competitive.
At first it is never easy but all staff makes it their priority to help folks adjust.

So Far So Good

So far so good. She is happy, and I am happy. It is going as good as it possibly could be.

Saint Andrew Life Center

Saint Andrew was chosen for assisted living because they have a signficant Polish-speaking staff and resident population. In addition, the facility also has an intermediate nursing care floor with a number of Medicaid beds, so we are hopeful my mother-in-law can live out her days (and funds) without having to move facilities. The staff is lovely and attentive. The downside is that it in older facility, with very small rooms and bathrooms, as well as older (i.e. hard to regulate) heating and AC.

I did not look anywhere else other th...

I did not look anywhere else other than Saint Andrew- the location, the price, the rooms - it all fell into place. The grounds are incredibly well-kept, and everybody on the staff is wonderful - they make a point of learning your name right off the bat.

They're a wonderful value as well because they've been able to work with my mother's Social Security income. All of the bills are bundled into one payment and it's great.

They have 5 floors for [removed] the 1st, 2nd and 3rd are for residents in independent living, and they have assistance from Lifetime Care Options, the 4th floor is for assisted living and the 5th floor is skilled nursing.

A lot of the activities take place on the assisted living floor, and there's a movie theater on the 6th floor.

Good Community

We chose them base on recommendations from A Place for Mom. They were able to offer a good price. They offer the residents 3 meals a day and also provide them with a cleaning service that comes in and cleans for them.

Seems to have the health care service...

Seems to have the health care services that mom will need in the future,including Memory Care. The building is older but very well kept and clean as a whistle! It has an old Catholic school feel, the sun rooms are lovely, gorgeous chapel. Prices are right and they accept medicaid if mom's funds run out. 8 medicaid beds available after 4 years in independent or 2 in assisted (or some combo)and their residents take priority for these beds. Social worker on staff to help through the process. No dogs allowed--that's a big problem for her. No kitchens in any of the rooms but you can add a small fridge, microwave, some kind of small pantry perhaps. The grounds are nice but not a lot of walking paths. They have their own bus plus the Niles free bus stops right outside the front door. The activities are very spiritually based, mass every day, but couldn't tell if there were many other educational or cultural activities; lots of fitness related groups. Health care service company on site or can bring in your own.

Toured facility earlier this year. N...

Toured facility earlier this year. Not sure if this is appropriate for my Aunt at this time.

St. Andrews Life Center was a very ni...

St. Andrews Life Center was a very nice community. The place is clean and the residents were very friendly. The Chapel was absolutely beautiful!

Also an older building, but well kept...

Also an older building, but well kept. Unfortunately, it is not very convenient and also has no current openings.