Rocky Ridge Retirement Community - Hoover, AL

Already visited community, loved it. But it runs a little high money wise.

Doing Great

My Uncle is doing great here and I have noticed he seems happier, he's making friends and he has settled in very nicely. My Uncle enjoys joining the other residents in the dining room and taking part in a few of the activities. The community is very nice, clean and the staff is friendly and attentive to the residents as well. I would recommend this community for those looking for family or friends.

Our tour

The people we met at this community were nice. The community looked well taken care of. They seem to offer some nice activities. This community does not offer three meals a day and this is what our loved one was looking for.

They Were Not A Good Fit

My tour was great. The representative who showed me the community was great. I had to consider the distance to the community, they were too far for me.

We like this community for good care. The staff are outstanding and always letting us know her progress. The meals are really good and she is enjoying them all. We like that they have someone come in and help her with some personal care that she enjoys doing. We would highly recommend the care and the value of this nice community.

Great Help With The Community

My mom is fantastic at Rocky Ridge Retirement Community. The care is especially great with the help of Visiting Angels, they do a phenomenal job. It was a little unorganized at first now there are no issues. She loves the meals and they have 3-4 activities a day which has variation of bible study, bingo, jewelry making, and etc.

[Removed] provided me with very informative information. The facility was clean, residents very warm and gracious. Apartments were very clean and roomy. Community did not have many amenities, however overall I would give it a rating of four

Although we had an appointment they did not seem prepared for us. We walked in and there was no one there to greet us. We had to stick our head in an office and ask for someone. She then took us straight to a room without discussing anything. The hallway smelled of smoke and when we asked if it was a non-smoking facility she said yes, but that some of the residents who have lived there a long time still smoked inside even though they asked them not to. The bathroom did not have the safety features that other communities had such as seats or reinforced hand rails in the shower. When we asked about personal care, laundry, medicine management that are all included at other communities she told us they had a laundry room and outsourced the care to another company. She had to dig through a filing cabinet to find their information for us. Then instead of receiving a brochure or pamphlet to take with us, she jotted down an estimate of price on a scrap of paper. She also informed us that they charge an upfront non-refundable $4,000 fee on top of the monthly rate to cover anything that might come up. She told us they had barber shop and chapel but just pointed in the direction of them. We seemed like a bother to her and the tour was done in 10 minutes. We could not get out of there fast enough for her or for us.

Holiday Retirement

Hello, my name is Katie and I work for Holiday in the home office. I'd like to first sincerely thank you for joining us for a tour and reaching out afterward to share this very important feedback with us. The staff at Rocky Ridge take our reviews very seriously, and we appreciate anytime folks reach out to share their thoughts with us. Your experience sounds very far from the one we strive to create for our residents and their families, and for that I sincerely apologize. I'd like to thank you for sharing your comments with us - if you have anything else you'd like to share, we would love to hear it, and can be reached at [removed]. Thank you so much! - Katie

Unorganized and Understaffed

Right now they are not organized and short staffed. They have changed the management many times. It seems like the staff play more than one position but they are trying their best. My loved one is safe but it has been tough for them during the transition with these problems. They are not well managed and they staff are trying to make things happen.

Holiday Retirement

Hello, my name is Katie and I work in the home office here at Holiday Retirement. I'd like to thank you for taking the time to reach out, and to leave us a review letting us know how we're doing. We'd also like to thank you for acknowledging our staff is trying our best and trying to make things happen. We love what we do and always try to do it to the very best of our abilities. The transitions and changes we are making are all in an effort to improve, and to make Rocky Ridge the very best senior community to live. We are sorry, however, to hear it has been tough on your loved one. We want the very best for our residents and look forward to seeing when the positive changes we've been making show results. Thank you once again for reaching out and sharing these thoughts with us!

I definitely recommend!

My Dad is getting used to things at Rocky Ridge. All of the staff are very helpful and show concern. I like the open layout of the dining and common areas, it's not just a bunch of hallways. My Dad is very pleased with the food options.

Food is bad and need wifi in rooms

-The food is not good. My mom and her table mates constantly complain about the quality of food. I have eaten with her multiple times, especially in the evening and I agree the food is not good. At my mom's age eating is a social event they enjoy. Bad food is a let down for them.
-Came one night and a waiter was smoking outside at the front door.
- There is no free wifi available in the rooms and thee should be. It would allow for better care of residents and provide more access to the world.
- management is very friendly,

A Bunch of Great People

There are a great bunch of people down there, everyone in the staff is. They try to get everyone participating in activities. It's a place where I'd like to go, they just have so much to do for everyone down there. They are great people who are very helpful.

Friendly & open. Great place for someone that required little or no care.

Angie, the Sales Leader, was a wonderful spokesperson for this community. My mother felt comfortable and at home the minute we walked into the facility. Things just got better from there. It was very clean, and the residents we saw were pleasant and happy. The staff were friendly and welcoming as well.

Constant managment changes cause turmoil

The local management changes often. Unfortunately they don't seem to be getting better. In fact, the most recent changes have brought management to the local team that treats its residents as if they are in a penal facility. If a resident is late, they won't be served the meal, or the course that they may have been late for. Coffee during a meal, you get one refill. Really - I doubt we will be staying much longer. Not only because of the recent management change but the long line of manager changes each being a very odd combination of characters. It is unpleasant for our mother now and her friends are very unhappy too.

Holiday Retirement

Hi, I'm Katie, I work at Holiday Retirement Home Office. I'm so sorry to hear that your mother is having a negative experience at Rocky Ridge. We never want any of our residents to feel as if they are penalized for something as small as being late to a meal or asking for a coffee refill. This is our residents' home, so if your mother ever feels as if the management team treats it as such, know that we sincerely apologize and want to correct that shortcoming. I've sent your feedback on to our Resident Relations team here at Home Office for their review. Know that you are welcome to reach out to them as well if you have anything else to add or if you would like to check on the status of your complaint.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention,
Katie - Holiday Retirement - Home Office

They are good.

The Rocky Ridge Retirement Community is a nice place. The cleanliness is excellent. They are good. They are taking good care of my father. The value, care services, and activities are excellent. Everything has been going pretty well. The parking and location is good. The communication with the staff has been good. Overall, it has been a pretty good experience. I would recommend the Rocky Ridge Retirement Community.

Perfect Place

This is the most wonderful place I could have ever found for my mom. The staff and residents are so very friendly. The place is absolutely beautiful. Ty Rocky Ridge for all you have done and continue doing for my mother

An Active/At Home Feel with Onsite Care Givers Available

We love the "at home" feel of Rocky Ridge & the people who live there are friendly & welcoming. Their "aging in place" policy made it a viable consideration for my dad who's health is failing. At Rocky Ridge he can be surrounded by people who are active & alert, while he still receives the assistance he needs from one of their onsite care providers (not affiliated with Rocky Ridge). We chose "Angel of Mercy" & he really enjoys the men from this company who help him with his meds/mobility issues. They make Rocky Ridge a good choice for him.

Note: the sales staff was poorly informed (which was frustrating), and the management staff are all fairly new, but we chose the location because the residents were friendly and welcoming and felt like people my dad could be friends with. On the downside, his apartment wasn't ready as early as we were promised, he's been there two months and they still haven't taken his picture for the veterans wall, and he still doesn't have his name tag - small issues in the grand scheme of things, but if you tend toward micro-management, the lack of follow-through could be irritating.

All in all, Rocky Ridge has a "feel" of home, not a hotel, resort or nursing home. They have activities for residents often - some of them resident driven (music, dancing, crafts, bingo, games, etc) & the atrium has a grand piano, bird aviary & comfy chairs. You can often find groups of people, rolling walkers & scooters in the atrium & on the front porch at the right time of day.

Meals are served in the dining room just off the atrium & their service is fairly slow paced - a bonus for my Dad, since that ensures he's really with people for a good amount of time every day. (It might be too slow for others - I just think the pace works well for [removed]

We visited mostly assisted living sites in the Birmingham area - some of which we also liked - but this independent living facility had a mix of residents who are active, sharp & enjoyable, along with the extra help he needs available onsite. A win/win.

(Note: The price quoted with this review is for a one-bedroom apartment, but they have a range of units in this facility. Two onsite companies of care givers are available to hire independently for an additional fee, depending on your needs.)

Livin' it up!

The best thing about Rocky Ridge is that mother loves it there. She has made so many new friends. I join her at least once a week for a chef prepared meal in the dining room where you have several choices. There are plenty of activities and the staff is phenomenal.

Very nice!

Things have gone very well with Rocky Ridge Retirement so far! My loved one really seems to be enjoying it here! It's a nice looking, clean place, and they've got a lot to provide for their residents. We've got no complaints, and would recommend them if you're looking into senior living in the area!

Secure apartment building setting, arts and crafts need improvement

The place is very safe, in a very good location. There are fewer neighbors, and solicitors. It's in a secure apartment building.

It is independent living, but you can pay for additional services such as medication administered.

The activities need improvement. Some activities sounded better than they turned out to be. For instance, an art class, turned out to be crafts.

It's been a great move.

Our experience with Rocky Ridge began...

Our experience with Rocky Ridge began with an enthusiastic and knowledgeable marketing representative. She was both patient and compassionate as we worked as a family to find the best services possible for our parents. The staff was wonderful as family members including our parents visited the facility at various times. The staff has gone over and above what we expected in assisting in the transition for our family. We are very pleased for our parents to be part of the Rocky Ridge family! We are also very pleased with the Assistive Services available in-house! These have been a God-send for us!

Wonderful place

Best choice I could have made. Great staff that really enjoy what they do. Angie greeted my mom at the door with the warmest welcome. Great activities. My parents are more active than when they were living at home. I am very pleased and would highly recommend.

Wonderful experience!

The whole experience here has been wonderful! I'd rate them 5s across the board! It's a nice looking place, the staff are all very friendly, and the treat my loved one well. The amenities are good, they've got plenty of activities, and the food is delicious!

Mom is happy and likes the people, fo...

Mom is happy and likes the people, food and activities. I was afraid she would get homesick but so far she is not. Her little dog is with her and I think that made the difference.
The staff has made a great effort to make her feel welcome, as well as checking on her to see if she needs anything.
I no longer worry about her eating, being depressed or well being. A great relief for me and my wife.

Happy, Safe, and Clean Environment

We moved my husband's dad there in July. He just passed away on October 30. The place is awesome. We felt that he was very happy the last few months of his life living there. He had come to make friends and the people there go overboard to make sure that the residents are taken care of and that they are as happy as they can be. It is independent living but they have a company on site called Angel of Mercy that can help when/if needed. For example, we hired them to help with meds and laundry. They will do anything that you need them to do. It is an extra charge but very reasonable. My husband's elderly aunt is taking the apartment that his father vacated. It's that good a place that we want other family members to experience it too.

Rocky Ridge Retirement Coumminity

I LOVE the environment, the staff and the facilities.

Beautiful but Too Expensive

It was simply beautiful but it was just a little too expensive for her income. The people were nice - they all get 10s!

Fabulous community, feel in...

Fabulous community, feel in love with Jeanette. The facility was very clean with a lot of activity going on. I would recommend

Good walking paths inside and out.

I like the way “Rocky Ridge” looks. They have good areas to walk inside with nice and wide halls and they even have paths for people to walk outside, it’s located in a good area. The dinning room is nice, but I wish that they would have a better variety of dinner choices. Mom is a bit of a picky eater and doesn’t really care much for the food. Everyone is friendly and mom feels at home. She found a stylist at the beauty shop that she likes and next time she is going to have her cut her hair. When people go to visit mom everyone is really impressed with the place, and mom even made some friends that have dogs.

Really enjoyed our visit. Not out of ...

Really enjoyed our visit. Not out of the running.

Have taken a tour. A very nice facility.

Have taken a tour. A very nice facility.

Situated on picturesque grounds in the scenic, quiet community of Hoover, you’ll love the inviting elegance of our facilities while enjoying the convenience of our nearby community. We’re just minutes from shopping, healthcare, dining and wonderful area attractions.

Our all-inclusive month-to-month rent covers:
- Three delicious and nutritious chef-prepared meals from scratch
- A variety of enriching activities
- Weekly housekeeping and linen service
- Transportation
- Most utilities

Friends in 300 places

Built with your comfort and safety in mind