Brookdale River Road - Keizer, OR

My parents are settling in

My parents are ones who don't like to ask for help, but if they push the button someone will come and help them. They are in the assisted living part of this community. They have a little studio apartment it stays nice and clean. And housekeeping does a good job at keeping the whole place clean. They will go down to the central dining they like the food OK. But doesn't like how long it takes to get the food and it's not always hot. The caregivers seem good. I would recommend this place.

Great place but not for Mom

I had mom here for a while and she enjoyed it, the staff was OK but mom needed much more care than expected so we had to move her. And the place was just too big also.

Not For A Outdoors Person

This community was very nice. Lovely inside very clean and well maintained. The community seemed to offer quite a few things to do inside and there were ample sitting areas but the community didn't offer outdoor space for people to walk and enjoy the outside as much as he had hoped. My father in law loves the outside and would have preferred more things to do outside.

we toured this community for the care for my mom. We wanted a little more care. We did like the staff who answer the questions and gave. The menu of the variety of healthy meals. The activities seem to be offered to the residents that want to participate. The environment seemed nice, but we wanted something more active. Families should consider a tour of this community for the care of a love a loved one

Brookdale was very nice and we were impressed with the rooms. They almost seemed like a one bedroom apartment. The only difference was that there was no wall separating it to call it that, but it was a very nice community. The reason why we did not choose it was because they did not have short respite stay available.

My tour!

The community looked decent when we took our tour. The people we met at the community were nice. They did not seem to want to accept mom as a new patient due to her current condition. If you are already living there and need additional assistance they will provide it.

My tour was nice!!

I liked this community. It looked like it was just revamped. The rooms looked small. The staff were nice & knowledgeable. We tried the food and it was pretty good.

River Rd Assisted Living Keizer

It's a beautiful facility. The staff, appears very happy and caring. The problem is that is is so new, and they seem very understaffed, that sometimes a resident who doesn't need a lot, gets forgotten.

The Activity area in particular seems disjointed. For instance, there was an activity scheduled and there were two residents very interested - but the Activity Director didn't show up! The residents pay a lot of money to live here, and they should be respected enough to have someone show up when there area activities scheduled.

Overprice, understaffed.

I think River rd. is greatly understaffed. When my mom asks for something, she has to wait quite a while for response. They say they are coming back...and sometimes they don't even return.
I have asked for just a few things. They responded, did it once or twice, but since then it's very spotty, if at all. It took about 4 days to get her tv working right, and they never did give her a meal schedule or tv channels.
They promise a lot, but are short on delivery.
I've been to several meals. The food is not bad, but they ask you to get there 30 minutes before the meal is supposed to begin, say 5. Maybe by 5:30 they have taken your order, and by maybe 5:45 get your meal. It is a very long process. The last place she was at your order was taken within 5 to 10 minutes. And this place has only about 15 tables!
I would suggest a salad bar.
There is usually no one at the desk when I come in, and there should be. Anyone could come in and roam around and not see staff, I have.
Residents have told me to complain to higher up. When they complain, it does no good, it must come from family. Actually, the residents have helped me the most.
They seem disorganized. They should give newcomers more information. I have typed up for her the schedule the best I can, with names to contact, and sent it to them for further input.
Basically, I am disappointed, and wondering if I put her in the wrong place. I may begin to look around, but it takes a lot out of mom to make these changes.
These people are one emergency away from a big problem. If they had more staff, especially medical, some of their problems might be avoided. Everyone seems stretched to the limit.
We are paying more now than the last place, but getting much less service. Before I felt good about where she was at and did not worry as she was in good hands. Here...I am beginning to worry.
Bottom line--overpriced and underserviced.
The main staff should not have to help with meals, but...attend to the front door.

David Virden

We are saddened that you and your mother’s experience with us at River Road isn’t meeting your expectations. We work diligently to meet all of our resident’s needs daily, and are upset to hear that we have missed some of your mother’s. If you have not yet spoken to community management regarding your concerns, we invite you to do so as they are the most effective resources within our community. If you would feel more comfortable voicing your concerns anonymously, we offer our Ethics First program which can be found at [removed]

Stressed Employees

We were only there for a short time. They were short changed and stressed out. That made an impression that I wasn't comfortable with. If you can tell that just walking in, you know it would be worse if you actually lived there.

David Virden

We apologize your tour of our community didn’t live up to your expectations. We’re not sure of the circumstances that were occurring when you came in, but rest assured, our residents who live here receive compassionate care every single day.

River Road Assisted Living Community is dedicated to promoting the social, psychological, spiritual, and physical well being of all residents. River Road seeks to provide the highest quality of life and to make a positive contribution to the larger community of which we are apart. We believe in the dignity of each individual, recognizing that every person has physical, mental, social, emotional, and spiritual needs and rights, and that these rights must be respected. This respect is reflected in the efforts of this community to care for residents that have been diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease or other related dementias. Our intent is to maximize the capabilities and allow residents to function as independently as they are able, while providing assistance as needed. Our goal at River Road Assisted Living Community is to meet each resident's needs while maintaining the highest level of choice, dignity, privacy, respect, and individuality.