Cedar Village Assisted Living & Memory Care - Salem, OR

Very pleasant facility. One hallway for memory care, very well lit. Friendly relationship between staff members evident. The dementia wing is on the street side of the building, with traffic noise in the little garden area. It's nicely kept, but would not be a restful place to sit. Pleasant, well-cleaned room available to view.

Mark Ting

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this feedback! Feel free to reach out to us if you need anything. Have a wonderful day!

I toured this community

We went on a tour here and we thought it was great. The staff was friendly and answered all of my questions. The rooms were on the smaller side. They had a chef on staff so I'm sure the food would've been good. I would recommend families tour many communities before making a choice.

Dad was happy here

Dad was in this community for a couple of months. He enjoyed being here. The staff was really nice and helpful. It stayed clean in here. They had 3 great meals a day. He would get involved with the daily activities. I would recommend this community.

I was disappointed

I went on a tour here and the staff was nice and answered all of my questions. There was an overwhelming smell of air freshener or chemicals to cover up the smell. The walls were painted stark white and you can see all the dirt and handprints on the walls. It was on the expensive side. We went into the memory care unit and had to immediately leave because of the smell. The dining room tables were covered in plastic for as much money as one would pay they should have cloth table covers. And they had no common areas. The apartments had just a dorm size fridge that was really low for an elderly person would have a hard time using I think.

Mark Ting

Hi, thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback about your experience with us. If you'd be willing, Elizabeth Simon would like to speak with you at [removed] to discuss ways to improve your experience with Cedar Village moving forward. Thank you for your input, and we hope to hear from you soon.

I Was Not Impressed

I toured Cedar Village while looking for living options for my mother, and I really didn’t like it. The assisted living was not anything special, and I felt as though memory care was an after though. I wasn’t impressed, and I just didn’t feel as though my mother would get the best possible care there.

Mark Ting

Hi, we regret to hear that you had this experience with us. We strive to provide excellent care for all our residents and regret that during your tour this was not reflected. We'd like the opportunity to make this up to you, so if you're willing, please contact Elizabeth Simon at [removed]. We hope to hear from you.

Wasn't Going To Fit The Personality

We really liked this community a lot there were quite a few good features for this community. However, one draw back for us was that my father in law likes to spend time outdoors and there didn't seem to be a lot of space outdoors where he could enjoy the time. On our tour, the staff was friendly and helpful and the community was clean and looked like it was kept very well maintained.d

When Seeing The Facility

They were wonderful when touring with them. After seeing what they offer we saw that it was not the right fit. She does not need memory care yet and she did not want to live in Salem.

Mom's happy—I'm not. I want better for her.

Mom has been her for a couple of years. She is happy here, but I'm disappointed. The care they say they give is different than the care that is actually given. Mom's room is supposed to be cleaned weekly, bed made daily. It's hit or miss. The bathroom is supposed to be checked and cleaned, if needed, every shift—three times per day. It might happen once per day. Things are always missing from her room, even if they consider it trash, she or I should be informed that it's taken. They have quarterly service reviews, but rarely anything I say in those reviews is acted upon. The food—well, it's been ok, but on my last visit it was terrible. It's very inconsistent. Most of the food is bland, but then some is way too salty, vegetables are mushy and overcooked, chicken was very dry. The menu has two options, but only offers one dessert. Though, desserts seem to be good. The activities used to be great, but now they are so-so. Mom plays more bingo than does anything else. I'm sad, because I wanted this to be her final home, but it looks like I'll be looking elsewhere.

We Are Happy With Them

They always answered our questions. I was always able to call and reach someone and get an answer, so that was good. It's hard to say what they could improve on, maybe just a little more variety in the food choices. In general, we are happy with it.

Beautiful, but felt like a hotel.

We looked at this when we were touring. It was beautiful, with beautiful furnishings, but it felt more like a hotel than someones home. Everyone was very pleasant to speak with. The food was wonderful. The memory care unit was so much separated, it was like being in purgatory. You couldn't bring your pets into the memory care. It did seem a little homier on the memory care side, but I couldn't see not being able to bring a pet that they had in another part of the building.

Large Rooms

We toured this community to look at other options, and were impressed by some aspects. For one, they had a sheet that showed how the "care points" translate to the cost of care. Also, they didn't seem to have as much concern about private pay vs. medicaid. This facility is significantly bigger than some of the others, which means long hallways, which would be a little difficult for my loved ones. Also, their rooms are much bigger and offer storage. This would be at the top of our list if my loved ones ever needs to move.

When can I move in?

Toured this facility for my mom. It was light, bright, open, welcoming, and friendly. There was a lot of activity on a Sunday morning, plenty of staff members and active residents. The menu looks like it would please anybody. Two different entrees are offered for each meal. The Activity Calendar lists 8 activities for each day! I can't imagine Mom living anywhere else. (If you're not familiar with this part of town, it's in a good neighborhood. 50 year old ranch style homes are owned by honest, hard working people. The facility is right next to a large community church. )

Mixed Experience

For me, it seemed very friendly. My mom had a couple of problems with a couple of the staff, but we had a very unique situation. She had very severe problems and she was in a lot of pain. She would need help getting in and out of bed and to the bathroom. They gave us the impression that they could provide the full continuum until the end unless there was something like a stroke where they couldn't swallow, but we just didn't feel like there were quite enough people. My parents didn't participate in the activities because my mom was so sick, but they were available. The food seemed OK, but my parents weren't too excited about it. They didn't like spicy food at all and they thought that even the normal food there was too spicy, so my dad was eating hamburgers four or five days a week. I always thought the food smelled good, though!

I only toured the dementia ...

I only toured the dementia wing. Pros: Big rooms. Caregiver who gave me the tour was very nice. Cons: common dining/activity area is off in a corner rather than centrally located. Staff seemed a bit worn out. Qualifications and ratios appear less than at the other options. Other [removed] Seems like residents either stay in their rooms or sit in the hallway a lot, but there weren't any activities happening during my visit so that might be a false impression.

We enjoyed the visit but fe...

We enjoyed the visit but felt that the envirenment would be no different than where she is so not one for us to consider. Also we were a little concerned by the bathroom doors being in the position of being able to block the entry door to the unit.

The room that we were shown...

The room that we were shown in the memory care unit was only big enough to accommodate a twin bed and a chair. Not much bigger than a walk-in closet. Seemed spendy. People were very nice.

First one we looked at and it was ope...

First one we looked at and it was open, would be bright on rainy day, wide hallways ,rooms nice people around and doing. Family member could stay over night. Family member could eat with mom one night a week /nocharge other wise 3.00

Welcome to Cedar Village Assisted Living Community, the premier Retirement and Assisted Living Community in Salem, Oregon. This community is located in the heart of Salem, close to parks, shopping and Salem Hospital.

Our goal at Cedar Village is to exceed each resident’s individual needs while maintaining the highest level of choices, dignity, privacy and respect. Our concept of comfortable senior housing with services assures our residents that their specific needs will be professionally attended to by our 24-hour on site staff. Each resident selects the level of assistance they require while maintaining their independent lifestyle.

Cedar Village amenities include a large elegant dining room, living room, reading nooks, activity room, ice cream parlor, library and TV lounge. Safety features of the Community include a complete building sprinkler system and smoke detectors. Our residents enjoy these features along with delicious home-style meals, a meaningful activity program and scheduled transportation. Our small town community atmosphere compliments all of this and more. Additionally, our activity programs provide further assistance to maintain our residents’ independence and quality of life.

As a resident at Cedar Village you will enjoy the privacy of your own residence within a community of care and support. Each apartment features spacious living areas, large private bathroom, emergency call system, and individual climate control. All of this is included in an affordable month-to-month rental without any buy-in fees.

Please call with any questions you may have or to schedule a personal tour.