Rhodes Estates - New Castle, PA

Bed bugs

My mother in law was in the dimentia unit. When I went to see her the day after she moved in, i was surprised to see that there were no sheets, blankets or even a pillow on her bed. Her clothes were gone also. When i questioned this, i was told by a staff member that they had bed bugs and everything had to be moved to a different unit!! My mother in law never got the bedding on her mattress and on day 4, she fell out of bed and went to ER. The doctor would not release her to go back there. Thank God!! Also, she did not get all of her belongings back either!!!

I was quite pleased with the manager's knowledge and info that he shared with me. I was also impressed with Rhodes. Looks like a place at which I would -- and could -- live.

Let's get involved!

The staff here is great and very informative. My loved on is getting around great. My loved one did express that she felt that there were not enough people that were on her level and that she could talk to. The activities director suggested that my loved one get involved with some of the activities. The food is good and my loved one likes it.

The facility looks good when you first go in but upon spending any time visiting my uncle i began to see such lack of necessary training on part of the staff. There is continuous turnover of staff and that told me alot. The place is not kept very clean and there are little if any activity periods. My uncle was on the Alzheimer's unit and that part is totally forgotten about as far as activities. Staff has to be asked to make sure that their family members have access to the activities. Food is fair sometimes. The staff can never answer a question. The answer is always "I don't know". Very very poor care. I think my uncle would have been better off with another facility. I know that he would have been. Look elsewhere.

Care For Dad

Thank you for providing the wonderful Father’s Day BBQ. Myself and my brothers were so impressed with all the staff. They worked so hard to make everything special. It meant a lot to us to spend this time with my Dad in such a nice way.

Negligent Facility

This facility is not what they present. The staff is poorly trained if at all and the facility is not clean. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere for quality care. This facility advertises that you can trust your loved one in their care. WRONG!!!!!!! My parents were residents here and I believe that they were taken advantage of. I found it necessary to check on them every day to assure that their needs were met. I had to consistently remind staff to do their job. I am a registered nurse in the state of PA and I did not have POA to remove them from this AWFUL facility. DO NOT send your loved ones to RHODES ESTATES. It should actually be SHUT DOWN!!!!!! I found it necessary to report neglegent care to the PA Dept. of Welfare...their licensing body. What a SHAM!!!!!! Our elderly are the most frail and fragile of beings and we need to be their voice.

10 years of care

Thank you all for the kindness that the Rhodes Estates Staff extended to my mother over the past ten years. You gave her a reason to smile with your loving care. May God Bless you all.

Caring and attentive

My grandfather lived in Florida, alone, and got to the point where he needed assistance on a daily basis. Working full-time, I was not able to move him in with me. I visited four assisted living facilities in New Castle and went with Rhodes Estates. I could not have been more pleased. They took very special care of him for the three short months he had left. He loved it there. I visited him every evening after work and joined him in meals on the weekend. The care was great, they came immediately if I called them, and the food I had with him was very good. I have recommended this facility to a number of people.

Appreciative

Mr. T. J. [removed], Administrator, Rhodes Estates, T. J. Very Special Thanks for all your assistance and understanding over the past several months. Without the special efforts by you and Jason, the transition of my mother to your retirement facility would surely have been more difficult. We are delighted with her apartment and the special concern exhibited by all members of your staff. Each is truly compassionate and caring. Without question, I would strongly recommend your facility to any potential future residents and please do utilize this correspondence as a marketing proof source, if you so desire. Please give my regards to your grandfather and father; they should be extra proud of you and Jason, as well as the work you both are doing.

This home was very nice but I don't care for the location, New Castle is a very rough town

Sameful lack of care

Both my parents decided to live at Rhodes estates because they believed they would receive reassurance and assistance. They were wrong. i found it necessary to check on them everyday or care would be nonexistent. Staff did not have adequate knowledge.Environment is superficial in Cleanliness. The living is based on profit without concern for the resident. I would never recommend Rhodes estates for residence.
i received absolutely no support from this organization. Your money will disappear very quickly to total incompetence.

Friendly clean place, but many areas they could improve

We've had somewhat of a mixed experience with Rhodes Estates. My loved one has been very pleased with how clean and friendly the place is overall, and she's also enjoyed the activities, however there are quite a few areas they need to work on as well. One of my biggest concerns is that they feel understaffed, especially on the weekends. And the weekend staff does not seem particularly well trained, any problems we've had over the weekend usually get put off until the director returns on Monday. I also think the meal service could stand to be improved. They have an hour and a half window for meals, and the food doesn't usually end up coming out until near the very end of that window. I'd also like if they served more fresh fruits and vegetables. I have also been disappointed with the transportation service. You're only able to schedule doctor visits when their one van is not busy with group trips, which means the time you're able to schedule doctor's appointments becomes very limited.

Very Attentive & Compassionate

We needed to get our mother into an assisted living facility close to us and quickly. Rhodes was very accommodating and had a very nice room available for us in just a few days. That was several months ago. Since then, the facility and staff have exceeded our expectations in every area. The are very attentive and compassionate. The value of the services is definitely worth the cost. We would recommend Rhodes to anyone.

Very nice place!

We had a great experience with Rhodes Estates overall! One of my loved one was very reluctant to move into any sort of community, and the staff at Rhodes Estates really went out of their way to win him over and make him feel like this is somewhere he would love. The staff are very friendly and caring, and know all of their residents by name, know their backgrounds, their needs and wants, etc. The rooms are a nice size, and they've all got private bathrooms/showers.
The only real drawback here is that although it is a 4 story building there is only one elevator, so things can get backed up during busy times of the day, likes meals.

They're very clean.

They're very clean. The care depends on who is on that day, and when they get new people in they have to learn, and the older ones, they know how to take care of them. They are trying to expand more and they are going to put a PT center and an OT center in there. In the Alzheimers section they have activities every once in a while not consistent. The food looks pretty good and if they don't like what they had they made him something different. He is a good eater. He's a skinny little man. The cleanliness really stood out, it didn't smell like a nursing home, and the staff. You look out in the hallway and you find someone you don't have to look around for anyone.